CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it all seemed kind of strange to me. They keep saying the next couple of months could be "really bad" with the new variants. But they have been saying it for a while. Every once in a while they throw in a new variant. Now they are talking about a Brazil variant that was detected. Before it was the UK, then the South Africa variant. I am not saying it's not true, just that it probably has been here already. I also feel covid was in the US for a while before they officially declared the first case.

My understanding is that the vaccines are less effective against the South Africa variant, and the UK variant spreads faster but is no more deadly than previous iterations.

My understanding is that the vaccines are less effective against the South Africa variant, and the UK variant spreads faster but is no more deadly than previous iterations.

There is actually evidence that the UK strain might be up to 30% more deadly.

Looks like my state is looking into if a new variant is responsible for a prison outbreak:

"They hadn't announced any COVID-19 for weeks,” “And then a whole cluster of cases broke out. We did the epidemiologic tracking, found out that it came in from the community, through the food services workers, and then it went from there to some other places. But it was a very fast spread." It spread throughout the community as well.

No, it is all of MA. Baker just announced (last night 1/25) that as of Feb 1 the first priority group of phase 2 (ages 75 and older) will now be eligible. That county or town is just ready to go. In theory all of the MA vaccine clinics will start vaccinating ages 75+ as of Feb 1... not just that one town/county.

https://www.wwlp.com/news/health/co...Pg6L7Gw0ZR25NHVGH1dZGQb-L3vvgP0mOmlGjmxBGF-Tg
Oh I know that everyone over 75 is eligible as of Feb 1 but I am confused why my aunt who lives one town over from my parents was able to already make an appointment for Feb 1 but my parents will have to wait until tomorrow to even see what appointments are available near them. Based on the map on the state website it looks like my parents will have to go via a pharmacy chain like CVS or Walgreens while my relatives one town over can go to what appears to be a much larger state or maybe county run site. It isn’t even open to every town in that particular county so I am still unclear on where the criteria came from. I am taking the day off tomorrow to try and get appointments for my parents and have no real idea what I will be looking at. It is just uneven and confusing to have such different kinds of experiences within the same state. Anyway, this is probably a conversation for one of the other vaccine threads - sorry to derail!

I don’t want to doubt the severity of the new strains, but here is the UK’s 7 day moving average...552500

This is one of the reasons I'm not mad at my state, at the moment at least, for not opening at the state level mass vaccination sites. I'm all behind sites that allow a big enough group to get through doses in a timely manner and some places have but not labeled as mass vaccination sites used as a norm more just a large space to use. But if you don't have enough steady supply of vaccine then you're using up resources for a short blitz. That alone I have seen makes people upset and frustrated.

This is one of the reasons I'm not mad at my state, at the moment at least, for not opening at the state level mass vaccination sites. I'm all behind sites that allow a big enough group to get through doses in a timely manner and some places have but not labeled as mass vaccination sites used as a norm more just a large space to use. But if you don't have enough steady supply of vaccine then you're using up resources for a short blitz. That alone I have seen makes people upset and frustrated.

Totally agree. I know a few people who are trying multiple avenues (clinics/hospitals/doctors)....to get the vaccine, with no luck. Two of them were told that that clinic/hospital was not doing "65 and up".....which is where we're supposed to be right now. And there's simply not enough supply here in my state to keep these mega sites open. They have the space and the vaccinators....which is useless without product. And on it goes...

I've reached out to my state for clarification via e-mail but this is a news story from yesterday regarding differences in numbers for my state:

This is from our health director: "has administered almost 62% of the vaccine doses it has received so far" "State officials said the CDC figures include doses shipped to pharmacies but not received for nursing home workers and residents".

Hopefully I can get more clarification.

And the US looks very similar, I really also think we had the strain the whole time which is why we jumped super high. US as a whole is taking the steepest drop from any peak right now.

And doing it without any sort of uniform shutdown, never mind one as strict as the UK has put in place to deal with the new variant. I do think that supports the idea that we've been dealing with a more contagious variant, either the one from the UK or a homegrown variant like the one identified in SoCal, that has been driving the fall/winter spike.

My 73yo mother was *finally* able to get a vaccination appointment for Monday, and I think I'm happier about it than she is because I've been limiting my activities more than I otherwise would for fear of exposing her. I'm ready to breathe a little easier if my daughter wants to get together with a friend who isn't in her class or I decide to stop for lunch while I'm out running errands, and this gets us one big step closer to not having to worry so much about everything I do. Once she gets the second dose, I might even live dangerously and start taking substitute teaching assignments again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter