Castaway in February

Gonflipin

Earning My Ears
Hi all, I recall a few years back that Castaway is often skipped in February due to weather conditions. Is this still the case? Have they improved getting into the port? Looking at a short trip in February with a stop in Castaway and really hoping the percentage of success is high. Would be so disappointed to skip it

Hi all, I recall a few years back that Castaway is often skipped in February due to weather conditions. Is this still the case? Have they improved getting into the port? Looking at a short trip in February with a stop in Castaway and really hoping the percentage of success is high. Would be so disappointed to skip it
The port hasn't changed. If the weather's too bad (too windy particularly) they will cancel it.

We have cruised 6 or 7 times between mid-January and mid-February, and never missed Castaway Cay. Once it was too cold for water activities in the morning, and another time it rained in the morning, but both times the weather cleared up by 1 pm.

On a 3-night cruise, you are at the mercy of the weather. On a cruise of 4 nights or longer, there is sometimes margin to reschedule a sea day if the weather isn’t conducive for the first attempt at Castaway Cay.

The basis of your question is erroneous. CC is not often skipped in winter. While reports of skipped CC days make the rounds and get commented, someone once did the math and demonstrated that the port was skipped less than 5 % of the time, regardless of the time of year. There are ships docking there multiple times a week, 52 weeks out of the year.

We missed CC in January this year due to high winds. We are currently aboard Royal Caribbean Wonder of the Seas and missed Coco Cay on Monday also due to high winds but we've done 2 other Disney cruises in January/February and 1 in October where we were able to dock at CC so you just never know...

Last edited:
I've sailed to CC 7 times, five times in late December/early January, twice in March and once in late October. The only time winds were any issue were on the late October cruise, when Pelican Plunge and all excursions were cancelled due to the wind. We did dock, though, and had a beautiful day there.

I’ve sailed every month except June and July. The THREE times I missed castaway was 1 time in September (Dorian) and 2 times in November (winds and IAN). I’ve sailed february many times. Usually the water at castaway is too cold for us in February, but remember getting in once. last February the ship rocked for 3 straight days and nights because of the wind, but we did get into castaway.

We've gone 3 times in February and CC was canceled once. It's the only time we have been canceled in 26 attempts, many of those during hurricane season.

With that said we are planning to sail again this February. :)

We went in February last year and had a great day at CC. Water took a little bit to get adjusted to, but nothing horrible.

. Usually the water at castaway is too cold for us in February, but remember getting in once.
Yeah, water temperature preferences are highly personal. The record cold water temperature at Castaway Cay is 73 degrees. That's what my gym keeps their outdoor pool heated to in the winter, so it wasn't cold to us.

In 8 cruises we have only missed CC once, and that was this month because of Nicole. Odds are you will make it, but the water might be too cold. Unfortunately, we are headed back in January this year ourselves and am already imagining what that cold water will feel like.

The water at Castaway Cay in winter is a cool 75 degrees, which is perfectly fine to swim in. If you only like to swim in warm water (like many Floridians), you won't like it, but it isn't freezing water or anything like that. In my hometown we have a cold water natural spring pool that is always 68 degrees and it's extremely popular year-round. Once you immerse yourself, your body adjusts and you can enjoy going in and out of the water at Pelican Plunge without being cold. The only time that wouldn't be easy would be if the air temperatures were chilly, but that rarely happens on Castaway, even in winter. It isn't good water for wading in just up to your knees without first immersing yourself, though. So if you like to hang out at the water's edge and wade, it's better to do that in the summer at Castaway.

You got me nailed. When I lived in Austin, people used to also brag that Barton Springs was 68 year round. Somehow I swam there and liked it - although I later learned it was more like 70-75 degrees. Nonetheless, now that I am a Floridian I am as weak as they come. I'm not proud of it, but I'll admit it. I'll still be in the water in January. CC is a special place, and I won't let my weak FL status affect me.

I've sailed 10 times - multiple months (winter, fall, summer) and we've never skipped CC. I don't think it's the norm.

I've sailed 10 times - multiple months (winter, fall, summer) and we've never skipped CC. I don't think it's the norm.
My daughter and granddaughters have sailed 10 times and they’ve missed castaway cay twice. (September 2019 and November 2010)

12/12 for us, all between January and the beginning of March. The captain once had to make a second attempt, but we got in every time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter