• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castaway Cay docking stats

I'm 100%. But as a rule of thumb, avoid this time of year and hurricane season. Your chances are still good, but those time frames usually result in the most missed days due to the weather.

I've made it in every time - but once was VERY iffy and had it been any captain other than Commodore Tom we likely would have had a bonus sea day and another was the first half of a double dip and while we made it, they ended up closing the gangways and evacuating the few people who had gotten off because of severe weather (they had all indications it was going to blow over quickly which is why they docked and initially opened the gangways).

I will just note that it is not always obvious storms or winds that can prevent it. You can have a perfectly beautiful day but very strong currents that prevent docking. Those are the most confusing because it "looks" and "feels" perfect. But when they can't dock, know that it is for your safety and the safety of the crew and the ship. They don't want to make you miss it. Or any port.

In case anyone is adding these up for "current" stats.

We have done 15-16 DCL with 12 CC stops. Like above had a near miss so 11.5/12.

8 for 8. Most in May, one in February. Last time most excursions cancelled due to wind, and umbrellas closed on family beach. But docking was normal.

Last week we were on the Oasis of the Seas. Our stop at Coco Cay was very questionable due to the amount of wind. I was quite surprised that they were able to dock. It was heavy winds. 20 mph plus. All day. Someone even fell off the dock.

While there, the NCL Prima at the island next door, came in. circled. Then left due to the wind. They have to tender to their island.

But I could also see Castaway Cay, the Dream was docked. We have been 5 for 5 at Castaway.

25 cruises to Castaway (since 1998) and we have docked every single time (mostly December and June trips). It has been miserable and windy, but we still docked. We have missed Grand Cayman maybe 40% of the times we have gone there.

We've done 9 that were supposed to stop at CC and made it all 9 times, though one time they made multiple attempts before they did dock. We usually go in December, but we've been in May and January. I think some months are worse than others.

3 cruises that included Castaway Cay. First one went as scheduled. Second one we had to miss Key West due to weather so we went to Castaway Cay instead, but on our scheduled Castaway Cay, the captain tried and tried but we couldn't dock due to high winds. Third cruise, we didn't even make it near there because of a hurricane.

We are 4/4. Our last time was February 2022 on the Dream. A bartender on the night before said we would likely miss CC on that sailing. I was up on deck 11 and didn't want to stay outside because of the howling wind (and frankly the cold). But we docked on what appeared to me to be the first try. It turned out to be a beautiful day on the island.

Of the thirteen cruises we have gone on over the last 22 years we missed Cast Away Cay once and it was our first cruise.
It was due to weather. The Captain did try for several hours to dock however it was just to windy.

3 for 3, but we did have excursions cancelled on one stop because of winds/surf.

Small sample size, but I'm 4 for 4. We were on the Fantasy sailing right after Ian came through, so there was gossip that we wouldn't be able to do CC but we docked just fine and things were great on the island.

Thought I would revive this thread because someone in our sailing group suggested we might miss CC due to high winds. We arrive at CC a week from today, so I know this could change, but it currently says:

Wind WSW 25 mph

Wind Gusts 43 mph

Does anybody know what the general threshold for "too windy to dock" is?

Thought I would revive this thread because someone in our sailing group suggested we might miss CC due to high winds. We arrive at CC a week from today, so I know this could change, but it currently says:

Wind WSW 25 mph

Wind Gusts 43 mph

Does anybody know what the general threshold for "too windy to dock" is?
There is no general threshold, because it also depends on wind direction and the current. Even with calm winds, if the current is strong/moving in the 'wrong' direction, the ship can't dock. Likewise, even calm winds blowing in the wrong direction could pose a challenge.

What you posted as a forecast does seem pretty windy, and based on anecdotes of other times ships couldn't dock you might be in trouble. But again, it depends on more than just wind speed.

There is no general threshold, because it also depends on wind direction and the current. Even with calm winds, if the current is strong/moving in the 'wrong' direction, the ship can't dock. Likewise, even calm winds blowing in the wrong direction could pose a challenge.

What you posted as a forecast does seem pretty windy, and based on anecdotes of other times ships couldn't dock you might be in trouble. But again, it depends on more than just wind speed.
Thank you for the extra info. It looks like the day before is supposed to be much calmer (and no other ships are in port). I've heard that they sometimes switch days when they can't dock on one day. Here's hoping for the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter