CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit that the distance to parks has never been a problem for us. I don't mind the Disney transportation (I appreciate the ride and the voice we can hear in the bus). I have stayed at Moderate and Deluxe hotels because I absolutely love the atmosphere over there.

I'm more into it than in the "in your face" theming... Although I can definitely appreciate the latter, at times! :)

P.s.: I'm so curious about the Coronado Club Level.
I was originally booked club level at CSR in August, but needed to move trip up to June or July. I’m anxiously waiting for July passholder rates. I may push it back from June to July if I can get a good passholder rate on a club level room in the tower.

Fun --off topic--fact: I've just realized (or fully integrated) that the super busy designs of the old Carnival ships that I do not like are all from the same person.

Therefore, I'm now a self-proclaimed Farcus hater.

**Kidding...I like SOME of his designs. Like the Carnival Conquest and Liberty atriums. But otherwise I usually find the patterns way too busy**

I don't know who designed the new ships but I like them so much more.

Fun --off topic--fact: I've just realized (or fully integrated) that the super busy designs of the old Carnival ships that I do not like are all from the same person.

Therefore, I'm now a self-proclaimed Farcus hater.

**Kidding...I like SOME of his designs. Like the Carnival Conquest and Liberty atriums. But otherwise I usually find the patterns way too busy**

I don't know who designed the new ships but I like them so much more.

You must not have grown up in the 1970's. Those colors/patterns were the colors of my childhood, lol!! We had bright orange, golden yellow, and green CARPET in our KITCHEN, seriously why did people(my parents anyway) put carpet in kitchens back then, at least it wasn't in the bathrooms. Right next to the kitchen was our living room with turquoise and avocado green floral patterned shag carpet, quite the transition! Maybe I should try out the older CC ships, they'll take me back to my youth, lol.

You must not have grown up in the 1970's. Those colors/patterns were the colors of my childhood, lol!! We had bright orange, golden yellow, and green CARPET in our KITCHEN, seriously why did people(my parents anyway) put carpet in kitchens back then, at least it wasn't in the bathrooms. Right next to the kitchen was our living room with turquoise and avocado green floral patterned shag carpet, quite the transition! Maybe I should try out the older CC ships, they'll take me back to my youth, lol.

I did but I don't remember the 70's (I was too young). However, I remember the 80's and having avocado green refrigerator and oven! I'm still not a fan of the colors that were popular back then. The 80's can keep them. :rotfl2:

So... Apparently luxury (and Concierge) is now coming to Carnival with the new "CARNIVAL EXCEL’ SUITES WITH SELECT AMENITIES & NEW RESORT-STYLE LOFT 19 ENCLAVE ACCESS"...

Those are very impressive:

In your opinion, what type of cabin on DCL would be somewhat similar to this? (Concierge?) I'd love to see a pricing comparison.

Last edited:
Thank for the help on the Cove Balcony cabins. We have also found information on the Havana area and that looks nice also. Have any of you sailed in one of these cabins on the Vista?

I haven’t, we’ve only done inside cabins on deck 8. We always book 2 connecting cabins so we don’t have to share bathrooms with 2 teens, I don’t know who’s worse, the boy or the girl! In order to make it work cost wise, we have to do insides. With that in mind, if anyone ever books inside cabins on Carnival, try to get the square cabins, they are much more spacious and have an excellent layout, we love those.

So... Apparently luxury (and Concierge) is now coming to Carnival with the new "CARNIVAL EXCEL’ SUITES WITH SELECT AMENITIES & NEW RESORT-STYLE LOFT 19 ENCLAVE ACCESS"...

In your opinion, what type of cabin on DCL would be somewhat similar to this? (Concierge?) I'd love to see a pricing comparison.
I think they are like DCL concierge and NCL Haven. People on the Carnival FB page are freaking out over them, accusing Carnival of creating class warfare and such. My thought is, if you don’t like something about a ship, don’t book it. Why should others who can afford to be pampered, not get to, just because you can’t. I’m sure we’ll never book these cabins, but wow, are they pretty or what? Holy cow, some of those balconies are amazing!

I haven’t, we’ve only done inside cabins on deck 8. We always book 2 connecting cabins so we don’t have to share bathrooms with 2 teens, I don’t know who’s worse, the boy or the girl! In order to make it work cost wise, we have to do insides. With that in mind, if anyone ever books inside cabins on Carnival, try to get the square cabins, they are much more spacious and have an excellent layout, we love those.

Sorry, I was sooo sure it was you.

I'm 99.9% sure someone here had havana cabins... But who?

I think they are like DCL concierge and NCL Haven. People on the Carnival FB page are freaking out over them, accusing Carnival of creating class warfare and such. My thought is, if you don’t like something about a ship, don’t book it. Why should others who can afford to be pampered, not get to, just because you can’t. I’m sure we’ll never book these cabins, but wow, are they pretty or what? Holy cow, some of those balconies are amazing!

Yeah, I noticed that. Those who complained probably never sailed on other cruise lines because most cruise lines have concierge cabins.

I'm actually excited about this. Carnival is going to "officially" get in line with the other mass market (RCCL-NCL-DCL) ... :)

I can't wait to see the difference in pricing.

I haven't been in a Havana cabin... yet. My son is still only 9 and our next few cruises he'll only get up to 11. Once he's 12 though, all bets are off and we'll be moving up! I can't wait. The private pool area (until 7 pm) and just the décor, looks lovely. We have a family harbor booked on Horizon for Dec 2020 and I'm still debating one for early 2021 but it will likely be on Horizon or Mardi Gras, and family harbour if it's available.

As for the fancy suites, reminds me of the Yacht Suites on MSC. I'm not surprised Carnival has gone this route, they have been adding different types of cabins since vista, with family harbour and Havana... this seems to be a logical step. Not that I'll even be able to afford one lmao. But they sure of look impressive! And maybe the lotto ticket I bought on the weekend will be a winner ;)

DCL VS CARNIVAL - CONCIERGE PRICES COMPARISON*

* Please take note that DCL itineraries are only up until September 2020 and Mardi Gras starts in Octobre 2020.

Disney Cruise Lines - 7 nights Eastern Caribbean - 2 adults - Concierge: 1 bedroom suite with verandah (still available):

upload_2019-4-10_8-39-12.png

upload_2019-4-10_8-54-16.png

Details: Concierge 1-Bedroom Suite with Verandah
( Category 00T )
Sleeps 5 - 622 sq ft Including Verandah
Private Verandah
1 bedroom with queen bed, living area with double convertible sofa, 1 wall pull-down single bed in the living room, walk-in closet, private verandah, whirlpool in the master bathroom and 2 bathrooms with rain shower

Carnival Cruise Lines - 7 nights Eastern Caribbean - 2 adults - Concierge: Carnival Excel Presidential Suite with wrap-around verandah:

upload_2019-4-10_8-40-6.png

upload_2019-4-10_8-52-43.png

The largest stateroom with the best view on the ship, the Carnival Excel Presidential Suite features a separate living room and bedroom (each with a TV), a walk-in closet, a lighted vanity and sectional sofa. There’s also a dining area with a wet bar. You’ll find deluxe extras like a bathroom with large shower and two sinks, plus we put the toilet and an extra sink in a separate room for convenience and privacy. Enjoy your private tub on the large wraparound balcony along with plenty of loungy seating options and an al fresco dining table.

Amenities exclusive to Carnival Excel Presidential Suites:
• Complimentary access to Thermal Suites and Havana Pool (This is a great value!!!)

Plus, all Carnival Excel suites include:
• Complimentary access to Loft 19, plus priority cabana reservations
• Dedicated concierge phone line
• Guaranteed reservations at most specialty dining spots
• Sparkling wine and fruit basket upon arrival
• Bottomless Bubbles soft drink package
• Complimentary room service, on-demand movies and laundry service
• Upgraded bathroom amenities
• Coffee maker

Plus, all suites include:
• Priority check-in and express boarding
• Priority Main Dining Room time assignment
• Priority debarkation at all ports
• Two large bottles of water
• Pillow-top mattress
• Bathrobes

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed that. Those who complained probably never sailed on other cruise lines because most cruise lines have concierge cabins.

I'm actually excited about this. Carnival is going to "officially" get in line with the other mass market (RCCL-NCL-DCL) ... :)

I can't wait to see the difference in pricing.

I haven't read what people have said elsewhere about this and am reading it first here. I am torn because on one hand I support the free market and have no jealousy about others splurging or having better accommodations. But on the other hand, I like having cruise lines with different philosophies and hate the idea that the lines are becoming more similar. I like choice. It was nice to have a line that did not have concierge or whatever it is called. When we have sailed ncl, we definitely noticed the missing deck space devoted to the Haven. It is also disappointing to me because I do think it is a reflection of our society generally. And I do think there is a growing upper and upper middle class that wants to separate itself from the middle class which is treading water to stay afloat. So different from when I was a kid. And finally, I associate more rigid class identity with Europe (hence msc) and have a nostalgia for a less stratified USA. DCL and CCL and others lines like Princess were originally much more in the American tradition where there was much less class separation.

I haven't read what people have said elsewhere about this and am reading it first here. I am torn because on one hand I support the free market and have no jealousy about others splurging or having better accommodations. But on the other hand, I like having cruise lines with different philosophies and hate the idea that the lines are becoming more similar. I like choice. It was nice to have a line that did not have concierge or whatever it is called. When we have sailed ncl, we definitely noticed the missing deck space devoted to the Haven. It is also disappointing to me because I do think it is a reflection of our society generally. And I do think there is a growing upper and upper middle class that wants to separate itself from the middle class which is treading water to stay afloat. So different from when I was a kid. And finally, I associate more rigid class identity with Europe (hence msc) and have a nostalgia for a less stratified USA. DCL and CCL and others lines like Princess were originally much more in the American tradition where there was much less class separation.

I respect your opinion 100% and I agree. I wouldn't want social "caste" either.

I guess the way I see is that... like in many other areas of life, on a cruise line, we "get what we pay for". I believe they can make it discreet. It's not going to be like in the Titanic movie where the lower decks are locked (by the way, I have learned later when I visited the Titanic Exposition that that part wasn't true).

DCL VS CARNIVAL - CONCIERGE PRICES COMPARISON*

* Please take note that DCL itineraries are only up until September 2020 and Mardi Gras starts in Octobre 2020.

Disney Cruise Lines - 7 nights Eastern Caribbean - 2 adults - Concierge: 1 bedroom suite with verandah (still available):

View attachment 393772

View attachment 393777

Details: Concierge 1-Bedroom Suite with Verandah
( Category 00T )
Sleeps 5 - 622 sq ft Including Verandah
Private Verandah
1 bedroom with queen bed, living area with double convertible sofa, 1 wall pull-down single bed in the living room, walk-in closet, private verandah, whirlpool in the master bathroom and 2 bathrooms with rain shower

Carnival Cruise Lines - 7 nights Eastern Caribbean - 2 adults - Concierge: Carnival Excel Presidential Suite with wrap-around verandah:

View attachment 393773

View attachment 393776

The largest stateroom with the best view on the ship, the Carnival Excel Presidential Suite features a separate living room and bedroom (each with a TV), a walk-in closet, a lighted vanity and sectional sofa. There’s also a dining area with a wet bar. You’ll find deluxe extras like a bathroom with large shower and two sinks, plus we put the toilet and an extra sink in a separate room for convenience and privacy. Enjoy your private tub on the large wraparound balcony along with plenty of loungy seating options and an al fresco dining table.

Amenities exclusive to Carnival Excel Presidential Suites:
• Complimentary access to Thermal Suites and Havana Pool (This is a great value!!!)

Plus, all Carnival Excel suites include:
• Complimentary access to Loft 19, plus priority cabana reservations
• Dedicated concierge phone line
• Guaranteed reservations at most specialty dining spots
• Sparkling wine and fruit basket upon arrival
• Bottomless Bubbles soft drink package
• Complimentary room service, on-demand movies and laundry service
• Upgraded bathroom amenities
• Coffee maker

Plus, all suites include:
• Priority check-in and express boarding
• Priority Main Dining Room time assignment
• Priority debarkation at all ports
• Two large bottles of water
• Pillow-top mattress
• Bathrobes
I’ll take the suite on Mardi Gras please. That suite looks so awesome.

I respect your opinion 100% and I agree. I wouldn't want social "caste" either.

I guess the way I see is that... like in many other areas of life, on a cruise line, we "get what we pay for". I believe they can make it discreet. It's not going to be like in the Titanic movie where the lower decks are locked (by the way, I have learned later when I visited the Titanic Exposition that that part wasn't true).

My thoughts on it are not rigid. A part of me thinks new things are fun and that I am reading into it to much, but another part of me is really turned off by a class system within the ship. I do not think we will ever sail msc because of this, they have like 4 levels, it is just a bit creepy to us. I like the way Carnival has tried to create different experiences (family harbor, Havana, spa etc) as opposed to a more stratified system. I know there are people who love the Haven and dcl concierge (although dcl's isn't as ship within a ship as the Haven) so there is a market for it. I like the way dcl set up the Wonder and Magic originally. Just a personal preference.

Those are really beautiful rooms. We got boring family Harbor inside rooms. We'll maybe next time. I'm already paying 6,000 for two room, plus excursions, hotels, and airfare. I really don't see how people do DCL in Europe. We both have decent jobs and we couldn't do it at today's prices. We did DCL in Europe 5 years ago, but boy have prices gone up.

Those are really beautiful rooms. We got boring family Harbor inside rooms. We'll maybe next time. I'm already paying 6,000 for two room, plus excursions, hotels, and airfare. I really don't see how people do DCL in Europe. We both have decent jobs and we couldn't do it at today's prices. We did DCL in Europe 5 years ago, but boy have prices gone up.

This is why we are interested in the Havana area. The price increase from a regular inside to Havana inside was not too bad and you get that wonderful pool area. I was disappointed to see that the Vista does not have a pool (or very much shade) in their adult Serenity area. The adult pool area on the Disney classic ships is wonderful - great pool and hot tubs, lots of chaises in sun and shade and comfy sitting areas, good coffee and adult beverages readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!