CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were just at Princess Cays and it doesn’t even come close to Castaway Cay. Princess Cays was fine, but nothing to write home about.

Full Disclosure, we went about 1 month after they had the fire there, so I think that they may have had some areas of the port shut off from passengers.

One last thing. Princess Cays is about a stone’s throw from Disney’s new Lighthouse Point property, so it will be interesting to see if that makes them step up their game. Also interesting is that Half Moon Cay is also visible from both of those locations. With the possibility of all 3 having ships in at the same time, it could make that area look it Grand Cayman looks with all the ships out there... :)

Oh that I didn't know, that HMC is so close to Princess Cay! We saw Great Stirrup Cay from Coco Cay. I don't think I'd want to go to GSC after they do the updates to Coco though, I wonder if you'll be able to see the water slide tower and everything from the other island. Also curious how MSC's new private island will fit in, that thing has been under construction for years! Mind you, I do like them since they are generally free and include lunch. Unlike the spots like Grand Turk, Amber Cove, Mahogany Bay, Harvest Caye, well they are free beach but you don't get a free lunch unless you return to the ship :)

We were just at Princess Cays and it doesn’t even come close to Castaway Cay. Princess Cays was fine, but nothing to write home about.

Full Disclosure, we went about 1 month after they had the fire there, so I think that they may have had some areas of the port shut off from passengers.

One last thing. Princess Cays is about a stone’s throw from Disney’s new Lighthouse Point property, so it will be interesting to see if that makes them step up their game. Also interesting is that Half Moon Cay is also visible from both of those locations. With the possibility of all 3 having ships in at the same time, it could make that area look it Grand Cayman looks with all the ships out there... :)

What would you say were the main difference between CC and Princess Cays? What is cool is that we had a cabana on Serenity Bay and we will have a cabana on PC so I will be able to compare that as well.

What would you say were the main difference between CC and Princess Cays? What is cool is that we had a cabana on Serenity Bay and we will have a cabana on PC so I will be able to compare that as well.
I don't think that there really is a comparison. Castaway Cay is MUCH nicer that Princess Cays. Princess Cays is basically a beach, some bars, and a couple of BBQ pavilions. In the area for the small kids, though, there IS a small pool, so that was nice.

My biggest gripe with Princess Cays (especially in comparison to CC) is that if you want soft drinks, they are only in cans on the island, so none of the packages cover them (at least our "Soda and More" package did not cover them). If you had the alcohol package, it would cover those drinks on Princess Cays. Also, there is no soft serve machine on the island like you would have on Castaway. We did not see the cabanas, but my DW was here before and she said that they do not compare to what you get on Castaway. I'll be interested to hear what you think of them.

Also, you have to tender in on Princess Cays vs. docking at Castaway. No tram either (or bike rentals). I do believe that they have snorkeling gear for rent.

Taking advantage of the $50 deposits and booked Carnival Horizon for December 6, 2020... only 617 days to go! Luckily I have Disney this summer :) and Carnival Magic next March... Really excited for Horizon, it's a 6-night but should be amazing. I booked us in family harbor, and it's a Western to Ocho Rios (can't wait to climb Dunn's, it's a bucket list thing), Grand Cayman (for kiddo's birthday!) and Cozumel, which is always great.

I don't think that there really is a comparison. Castaway Cay is MUCH nicer that Princess Cays. Princess Cays is basically a beach, some bars, and a couple of BBQ pavilions. In the area for the small kids, though, there IS a small pool, so that was nice.

My biggest gripe with Princess Cays (especially in comparison to CC) is that if you want soft drinks, they are only in cans on the island, so none of the packages cover them (at least our "Soda and More" package did not cover them). If you had the alcohol package, it would cover those drinks on Princess Cays. Also, there is no soft serve machine on the island like you would have on Castaway. We did not see the cabanas, but my DW was here before and she said that they do not compare to what you get on Castaway. I'll be interested to hear what you think of them.

Also, you have to tender in on Princess Cays vs. docking at Castaway. No tram either (or bike rentals). I do believe that they have snorkeling gear for rent.

I loooove tendering though. That's one thing I liked better on HMC vs Castaway Cay.

There's no bike rental on PC but there's a bike excursion.

Last edited:
Little off topic but if anyone has any Southwest flights booked, check prices. My flight in May dropped $20. Not a ton, but makes a potential February 2020 cruise look a little better!

Little off topic but if anyone has any Southwest flights booked, check prices. My flight in May dropped $20. Not a ton, but makes a potential February 2020 cruise look a little better!

Thanks, we have tickets with them for June.

Just checked and we got $60 for one flight that I can use for our Jan cruise flights, now just need the other flight to drop in price. I hadn't planned on checking the prices, so would have missed this, so thanks again.

Last edited:

I have just seen the virtual tour of the upcoming Panorama and I feel like this ship will be another serious contender when it comes to family friendly cruises and/or cruising in general (I honestly can't see myself ever going back on an old Carnival cruise ship again, the Liberty will be our last... the new ships look way too awesome).

Disney Doe 1, Disney Doe 2 and Disney Doe 3 have some serious competition, now. Can't wait to see what they will offer.

I have just seen the virtual tour of the upcoming Panorama and I feel like this ship will be another serious contender when it comes to family friendly cruises and/or cruising in general (I honestly can't see myself ever going back on an old Carnival cruise ship again, the Liberty will be our last... the new ships look way too awesome).

Disney Doe 1, Disney Doe 2 and Disney Doe 3 have some serious competition, now. Can't wait to see what they will offer.

Haven't seen much of the Panorama yet, but the Mardi Gras just looks stunning (even though I'm STILL not thrilled about the name :rolleyes1). I agree with sailing on older ships now though. I can't see us doing anything less than the Dream class...maybe Conquest class if the itinerary/price is right.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Horizon February 2020 sailing yet and I don't know why! I think once our September DCL final payment is paid then I'll go for it. I mean it's just money, right? :laughing:

Panorama looks great, Mardi Gras looks awesome. I can't wait to get back on Magic and try Horizon. I'll have to keep booking cruises I guess! Also want to get to Coco Cay after it's updated so that's only 3+ cruises to book? :)
The Coco Cay refit looks nice, I just wish they wouldn't charge you separate for it. I would much rather have it in the cruise fare...

I'll be working in Southern California for 3 months next Winter. I'll have to check out the Panorama. I should have a week off at some point. I have to agree with you on the old ships they don't appeal to me at all on any cruise line...with the exception of Disney. Disney offers a unique experience so even the old ships have something to offer.
I think it's the mentality that new is better. Even if the service is sub par you know the room is new and clean, and the amenities are first rate. I'm really looking forward to being on the first Mardi Gras sailing next Summer.

The Coco Cay refit looks nice, I just wish they wouldn't charge you separate for it. I would much rather have it in the cruise fare...

Yeah. We have booked the Mariner for October and we paid for the waterpark... At least it wasn't too expensive and if you want you can "bundle" it with other activities like the zipline...

I'll be working in Southern California for 3 months next Winter. I'll have to check out the Panorama. I should have a week off at some point. I have to agree with you on the old ships they don't appeal to me at all on any cruise line...with the exception of Disney. Disney offers a unique experience so even the old ships have something to offer.
I think it's the mentality that new is better. Even if the service is sub par you know the room is new and clean, and the amenities are first rate. I'm really looking forward to being on the first Mardi Gras sailing next Summer.

I usually don't mind older stuff... I guess I'm just a bit fed up with the dated colors (mauve, pink and orange brulée) and the "busy" patterns that old Carnival ships have. Even though they refurbish their older ships they never get rid of those.

Don't get me wrong, I still get a great experience out of those ships but the Carnival Vista got me hooked and more picky. LOL

I usually don't mind older stuff... I guess I'm just a bit fed up with the dated colors (mauve, pink and orange brulée) and the "busy" patterns that old Carnival ships have. Even though they refurbish their older ships they never get rid of those.

Don't get me wrong, I still get a great experience out of those ships but the Carnival Vista got me hooked and more picky. LOL
Even the Magic and Wonder are starting to look pretty dated. I do like the size of the older ships unfortunately bigger seems to be the trend now.

I’m dying to try Mardi Gras! She looks so awesome. I don’t see us doing the older Carnival ships either. I really like all the bells and whistles of the newer larger ships. We look at the ships as our destination and ports as a place to wander around for a bit. Even at Castaway Cay, we only spend a few hours on. We usually debark around 9:30, hit the beach until lunch and then get back on the ship after we eat. I think we could spend 10 days straight on a ship just floating around the ocean, wouldn’t need to stop anywhere for us.

Even the Magic and Wonder are starting to look pretty dated. I do like the size of the older ships unfortunately bigger seems to be the trend now.

Yeah. The Wonder has a few sections in bad shape when we sailed on it after the dry dock (2017).

As I am preparing my suitcases for our upcoming trip, I keep reading bad reviews about the Liberty. LOL (The mod of a Carnival Liberty group on FB even renamed his group "Carnival is the Waffle House of Cruising" or something like that... and announced that the ship sucked before closing the group completely!!!)

It feels like it's always the same thing: I always read a lot of bad reviews before I go, so I'm always expecting the worst.

That being said... Even though I did not like the Sensation as much as the Vista and the Victory, it wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews I had read before the cruise. :P

p.s.: I take it with a grain of salt, of course.

Last edited:
I sailed on the Liberty my first cruise, it was in 2015 so awhile ago, and it was a 7-night cruise, but it hooked us on cruising! They have a Guys burgers, and a Blue Iguana, the ship itself had a nice layout to me. We didn't do the water slide then but I'm sure kiddo would like it now, and I enjoyed the serenity area, it was right outside the kids club so I had a nice time, dropped him off there and was still close in case he hated it. I always found a spot to sit and read, though of course that may have changed. We had an inside cabin and it was fine! I am sure you will have a lovely trip.

As I am preparing my suitcases for our upcoming trip, I keep reading bad reviews about the Liberty. LOL (The mod of a Carnival Liberty group on FB even renamed his group "Carnival is the Waffle House of Cruising" or something like that... and announced that the ship sucked before closing the group completely!!!)

It feels like it's always the same thing: I always read a lot of bad reviews before I go, so I'm always expecting the worst.

That being said... Even though I did not like the Sensation as much as the Vista and the Victory, it wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews I had read before the cruise. :P

p.s.: I take it with a grain of salt, of course.
I am sure you will have a great time! I've actually read positive things about that ship because it is Conquest class and that class gets very good reviews. I would ignore Facebook personally. :crazy2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!