• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for all the negativity Carnival gets on this board I will say it's slim pickings on the Vista this Fall. I have pretty much ruled out the Havana Cabana. It's too close to Christmas and more then I wanted to spend this Fall. I'm trying to be good.:upsidedow We are booked in a inside Family harbor room 8 day Southern cruise in October. I knew when I booked this room I probably wouldn't keep it. I've been checking daily for an oceanview to open up. I think with a lot of people booking with the non refundable deposit this may not happen.

I guess I'm fussy. I don't like inside rooms. I don't like the 1k plus up charge for a balcony, but I would pay 2k+ more if it was something remarkable like a Havana Cabana or suite in the NCL Haven. My happy place is really an oceanview. In terms of price, size and natural light it can't be beat. There is only one cruise this Fall on the Vista that has an Oceanview family harbor room available . There are regular oceanviews available on deck 1.. meh:scared: Really only one cruise and one room left. It's an eastern Caribbean in Nov. I put a hold on it. I have until Monday to decide. All of the 8 day Southerns were almost completely sold out, and some had only 1 or 2 balcony rooms left.
I guess were not the only ones excited about this ship.

Keep looking every day! When I put the hold, I had a interesting room (cheap price) and then, when I decided to book... I cheated: instead of completing the hold, I did it again and found an interesting room at a better price! (50$ less!). So I booked the new room and let the hold expire! (I wish there was a way to cancel a hold right away!)

I know what you mean: DH and I have always had a verandah and for the first time, on our upcoming DCL cruise, we are trying an inside room. We'll see how we handle it. If we find that we need an OV or verandah, I will try to secure a room ASAP.

Keep looking every day! When I put the hold, I had a interesting room (cheap price) and then, when I decided to book... I cheated: instead of completing the hold, I did it again and found an interesting room at a better price! (50$ less!). So I booked the new room and let the hold expire! (I wish there was a way to cancel a hold right away!)

I know what you mean: DH and I have always had a verandah and for the first time, on our upcoming DCL cruise, we are trying an inside room. We'll see how we handle it. If we find that we need an OV or verandah, I will try to secure a room ASAP.
You can cancel a hold online on carnival. Just hit view details. There will be a button on the bottom that says is there a penalty for canceling this cruise. Click on that and then there's a cancel button. Carnival is the only cruise line I know that lets you cancel on line.
I really don't like the insides on carnival because there's no couch. I also don't like not having natural light. At least the Dream class has the magic porthole. My kids had an inside on the Magic it seemed very dreary. If it's a port intensive cruise like Europe, and it's what I can afford I'll book an inside, but it's not my first choice.

I am going to keep checking. I really want to do the Southern, and I prefer not to go the week before Christmas. I can't believe how sold out these Southern Caribbean cruises are. It's still 6+ months until Fall.

I am going to keep checking. I really want to do the Southern, and I prefer not to go the week before Christmas. I can't believe how sold out these Southern Caribbean cruises are. It's still 6+ months until Fall.
You might want to call them. When we decided to turn our 8 night into a B2B the rooms we had on the first cruise did not show up as available on the second cruise. But when I called them they said they were available so we're in the same cabins now.

The same thing happened when I tried to book Horizon for 2018, cabins we wanted weren't available online but we're when I called. It's really weird.

I think you'll be fine on any of the newer Carnival Ships. The Carnival Breeze is the same size as the Disney Dream Class Ships, and it has all the Fun Ship 2.0 features. Should be a great Cruise.

We booked our Summer cruise on the Carnival Breeze today. 7 days, stopping in Belize; very excited! Will report back on how it was.

We booked our Summer cruise on the Carnival Breeze today. 7 days, stopping in Belize; very excited! Will report back on how it was.
Enjoy, that's an itinerary I would like to do. I'm glad the Vista is moving to Galveston, and will be doing that itinerary. We've cruised on the Wonder out of Galveston 2 times. It's an easy flight from Phoenix and I really love the Galveston Island. We stay at the Hilton on the Sea Wall. I actually like cruising out of Galveston more than cruising out of Miami. The Breeze is a great ship. Have fun.

Crazy! The Vista is very popular!
Yes it is. I think getting an Ocean view or cove balcony in the Family Harbor area on the 8 day southern would be like winning the lottery at this point. The Dec 2 cruise has balcony rooms on deck 6 next to Circle C which would be very convenient for keeping track of my 13 year old. Of course the Dec 16 has the Havana Cabana which would be my dream stateroom on a ship. We have cruised the second week of Dec the last 3 years. I love Christmas and everything it stands for. The Christmas decorations on the ship are great. It just makes getting ready for Christmas at home a challenge. Last year we got the tree up, but never got it decorated. We come back from vacation, immediately go back to work, we blink and it's Christmas. I was trying to avoid cruising in December this year, but it's almost a family tradition at this point. When my kids think of Christmas they'll think of cruising, a half decorated tree, and luggage and laundry piled up in the house.

You can cancel a hold online on carnival. Just hit view details. There will be a button on the bottom that says is there a penalty for canceling this cruise. Click on that and then there's a cancel button. Carnival is the only cruise line I know that lets you cancel on line.
I really don't like the insides on carnival because there's no couch. I also don't like not having natural light. At least the Dream class has the magic porthole. My kids had an inside on the Magic it seemed very dreary. If it's a port intensive cruise like Europe, and it's what I can afford I'll book an inside, but it's not my first choice.

Have you checked for a porthole cabin on Carnival? They are classified as interiors but have 2 regular portholes (and a couch!). Stayed in one on the Carnival Dream and it was possibly my favourite cabin ever. They are forward on decks 1 and 2, 220 sq feet, they are the same size and set up as an oceanview - they just have the two small round windows instead of one large square one.

Yes it is. I think getting an Ocean view or cove balcony in the Family Harbor area on the 8 day southern would be like winning the lottery at this point. The Dec 2 cruise has balcony rooms on deck 6 next to Circle C which would be very convenient for keeping track of my 13 year old. Of course the Dec 16 has the Havana Cabana which would be my dream stateroom on a ship. We have cruised the second week of Dec the last 3 years. I love Christmas and everything it stands for. The Christmas decorations on the ship are great. It just makes getting ready for Christmas at home a challenge. Last year we got the tree up, but never got it decorated. We come back from vacation, immediately go back to work, we blink and it's Christmas. I was trying to avoid cruising in December this year, but it's almost a family tradition at this point. When my kids think of Christmas they'll think of cruising, a half decorated tree, and luggage and laundry piled up in the house.

You could always decorate the house and prepare and freeze some food in advance?

You could always decorate the house and prepare and freeze some food in advance?
I so wish I was that person. I also have a job that requires working holidays and a very sick mother with not too many holidays left. I've really been waiting to see how much we owe in taxes this year. My dh likes to wait until April 14th to do the taxes. I got him to do it today. He's said quote " It will be easy this year I didint do a lot of stock trades. It should take me 2 hours tops. 9 hours later, 50 F- bombs, and multiple blow ups at the kids and me. I'm seriously tip-toeing around the house.:tiptoe:
I know your probably asking why he doesn't just pay someone to do it. I've been asking that same question for 22 years.:confused3
Like cruising at Christmas, tax time in my house is another tradition. My kids hide under their beds.
Much to our surprise were looking good this year. We hardly owe anything.
Now if I could only get that Havana Cabana.

Last edited:
I so wish I was that person. I also have a job that requires working holidays and a very sick mother with not too many holidays left. I've really been waiting to see how much we owe in taxes this year. My dh likes to wait until April 14th to do the taxes. I got him to do it today. He's said quote " It will be easy this year I didint do a lot of stock trades. It should take me 2 hours tops. 9 hours later, 50 F- bombs, and multiple blow ups at the kids and me. I'm seriously tip-toeing around the house.:tiptoe:
I know your probably asking why he doesn't just pay someone to do it. I've been asking that same question for 22 years.:confused3
Like cruising at Christmas, tax time in my house is another tradition. My kids hide under their beds.
Much to our surprise were looking good this year. We hardly owe anything.
Now if I could only get that Havana Cabana.

We always pay someone to do our taxes. I understand NOTHING about it. :confused3

Back to my Fall cruise drama. Not being able to get a room I really liked on the Vista has left me a little frustrated. We've cruised on DCL the last 5 years in the Fall. All cruises booked last minute with GT rates. Lots of rooms left. I was booked then cancelled because I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do. I was thinking I could wait until this Summer to decide. I booked an inside room ocean harbor a couple of weeks ago, but I don't really want this. This 8 day southern cruise has sold so well there's literally only a few rooms to choose from. I was tempted to book the Fantasy. I decided to consult my fussiest son. His choice Vista 8 day. He wants to see Curacao. He has a friend that he met on some other cruise that lives there. They've kept in touch for a couple of years.
I guess Im going to book a balcony. It will still come in less then a inside on the Fantasy. A little more then I wanted to spend. I was really hoping to book a family harbor deluxe ocean view. I will be checking availabilty everyday to see if someone cancels.

To anyone that's considering Carnival that's reading this. I don't book the early saver with then non refundable deposits. Since I've cruised carnival before I can get a past cruiser rate that's about 20.00 more per person then the early saver rate and it's fully refundable. I just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone that is like me that changes their mind a lot. Carnivals early saver and reduced deposits are not like DCL. You can't change dates or downgrade. If you book with a reduced deposit and want to upgrade you now pay the full deposit, and it's non refundable. It's not very clear on the Carnival's site. I learned the hard way so I thought I would point it out to anyone considering Carnival. Not to worry though there are always rates that have refundable deposits. They're a little more, but if your're used to paying DCL prices it won't faze you.

Back to my Fall cruise drama. Not being able to get a room I really liked on the Vista has left me a little frustrated. We've cruised on DCL the last 5 years in the Fall. All cruises booked last minute with GT rates. Lots of rooms left. I was booked then cancelled because I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do. I was thinking I could wait until this Summer to decide. I booked an inside room ocean harbor a couple of weeks ago, but I don't really want this. This 8 day southern cruise has sold so well there's literally only a few rooms to choose from. I was tempted to book the Fantasy. I decided to consult my fussiest son. His choice Vista 8 day. He wants to see Curacao. He has a friend that he met on some other cruise that lives there. They've kept in touch for a couple of years.
I guess Im going to book a balcony. It will still come in less then a inside on the Fantasy. A little more then I wanted to spend. I was really hoping to book a family harbor deluxe ocean view. I will be checking availabilty everyday to see if someone cancels.

To anyone that's considering Carnival that's reading this. I don't book the early saver with then non refundable deposits. Since I've cruised carnival before I can get a past cruiser rate that's about 20.00 more per person then the early saver rate and it's fully refundable. I just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone that is like me that changes their mind a lot. Carnivals early saver and reduced deposits are not like DCL. You can't change dates or downgrade. If you book with a reduced deposit and want to upgrade you now pay the full deposit, and it's non refundable. It's not very clear on the Carnival's site. I learned the hard way so I thought I would point it out to anyone considering Carnival. Not to worry though there are always rates that have refundable deposits. They're a little more, but if your're used to paying DCL prices it won't faze you.

Good to know. I booked early saver 2 times (2 different trips), changed plans two times and this time I got lucky because I had not put my husband's name in the booking (it was still TBA) so I got only 50$ fee instead of 100$ fee. So, yeah... for a 20$ difference, it's worth taking the "refundable" option instead of Early saver.

One benefit of the early saver is to prevent against price drops. If booking one of Carnival's older ships I could see it paying off. I don't see the Vista dropping in price sailing out of Miami. I read on CC there were price drops on the European sailings. Since Carnival has been offering all these reduced deposits sales with the early saver rates availability has been decreasing pretty rapidly. If reduced deposits move sales I wonder why cruise lines don't do it more often.
To anyone not familiar with Carnival the early saver is the first rate to pop up if you click more options the other rates show up.

Good to know. I booked early saver 2 times (2 different trips), changed plans two times and this time I got lucky because I had not put my husband's name in the booking (it was still TBA) so I got only 50$ fee instead of 100$ fee. So, yeah... for a 20$ difference, it's worth taking the "refundable" option instead of Early saver.
We booked our first 3 Vista cruises with ES but when we booked our Horizon cruise for next summer, I did Past Guest rate and it was only $8/person more. It's a much better option.

EDIT: I just changed the title of the thread for "Carnival vs DCL: the ultimate comparison thread" ... because I plan on doing the same exercise with the Carnival Vista and I don't see the need to create a new thread for it.

And I just realized that I forgot to talk about disembarkation so I started a new section!

Last edited:
APPEAL TO ALL

I'm currently updating the thread in order to welcome other people to add their own reviews/comparisons with other Carnival cruiseships.

BUT... I call dibs!!!! on the Vista comparison if you don't mind. :P (Although I did mention the link to the (now closed to comments) excellent review from @Club Disney Chandler ...because it was awesome.)

You can use my "template" (see post #1) to start a comparison if you'd like and then add as many pictures as possible from the "compared" ship. When you're done, I will add it to the list of "comparisons" on post #1 and put the infos so people will know which page of the thread to look for... Do not worry, if you do a comparison, you will get all due credit. I will put your name on the post #1 beside the name of the cruiseship.

I think it will be useful to clearly name each ship before each pictures, though.

Any volunteers?

Last edited:
I booked the 8 day Eastern. I got the family harbor deluxe oceanview. The last one of this stateroom type on any cruise this Summer or Fall. Not the itinerary I wanted, but you can't have everthing. The ports are fantastic..... I've just been to three of them. I'll keep checking the Southerns for cancellations. I've got a ton of airline points so I'm not worried about airfare if I change dates. The ocean view harbors seem like the best value. 200.00 more than an inside family harbor and 800.00 less then a balcony, and you get the lounge. We always book Oceanviews on DCl. It's kind of the happy medium for us. I'm really looking forward to walking down the hall to get coffee in the morning. Obviously a lot of people agree with me because getting one of these rooms is tough. I was looking at cruises this Spring and noticed many cruises were sold out in this category. My next cruise on the Vista or the Horizon I swear I'm getting the Havana Cabana. It's on my bucket list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter