CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BREAKING NEWS: After many bad reviews, my husband and I decided that we are not confident enough that the Carnival Paradise will meet our expectations. We could be wrong but we just don't trust her right now.

So I cancelled.

Clean slate when it comes to our fall cruise. I can book Carnival, RCCL, Princess or Norwegian... No ship nor itinerary decided yet.

This is so exciting!!!! :cool1:

You should book the Carnival Magic - November 11-18th 2017 (but then I'm biased because that's the cruise I have booked). :P

BREAKING NEWS: After many bad reviews, my husband and I decided that we are not confident enough that the Carnival Paradise will meet our expectations. We could be wrong but we just don't trust her right now.

So I cancelled.

Clean slate when it comes to our fall cruise. I can book Carnival, RCCL, Princess or Norwegian... No ship nor itinerary decided yet.

This is so exciting!!!! :cool1:
Why don't you try Carnivals new ship.

I'll be checking all our options. :)

There's the Vista and the Conquest too.

So many choices

If you would like to stick with Carnival, you cannot go wrong with the Vista. This is a great new Ship. 130,000 gross Tons, same size as the Disney Dream & Fantasy. Has all the Fun Ship 2.0 features, and the Havana Suites are excellent if it's just you and your Husband.

If you like BIG Boats, I would recommend the RCCL Harmony of the Sea's. It weighs in at 220,000 Gross Tons, almost 50% larger than the largest ships Carnival and Disney have. There are plenty of Youtube video's to see if it is something you'd like. It is a massive ship, but there is so much to do onboard.

In my opinion, RCCL is a slight step up from Carnival, but still affordable. But, Carnival has really stepped up their game with the Vista, and the soon to be launched, Horizon.

Please, Let us know what you decide to go with...... popcorn::

Ok, it's now between the Magic and the Vista.

I think at this point it's going to be a question of budget and itinerary!

Vista: Miami-Ochos Rios-Grand Cayman-Cozumel-Miami

Magic: Port Canaveral-Cozumel-Costa Maya-Mahogany Bay-Belize-Port Canaveral

I don't care much for Ochos Rios, Mahogany Bay and Belize...

EDIT: DH is asking me to wait until we come back from our DCL cruise before booking anything else. Argh.

Last edited:

Ok, it's now between the Magic and the Vista.

I think at this point it's going to be a question of budget and itinerary!

Vista: Miami-Ochos Rios-Grand Cayman-Cozumel-Miami

Magic: Port Canaveral-Cozumel-Costa Maya-Mahogany Bay-Belize-Port Canaveral

I don't care much for Ochos Rios, Mahogany Bay and Belize...

EDIT: DH is asking me to wait until we come back from our DCL cruise before booking anything else. Argh.

You may have already read my trip report on the Vista but if not here it is. It's more on the ship itself not the Mediterranean cruise. If you don't like the Vista's Western route, she's also doing an 8 night Southern Caribbean (Grand Turk, Aruba, DR and Curaçao), on opposite weeks!! We're doing that this June.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-new-carnival-vista.3521334/

You may have already read my trip report on the Vista but if not here it is. It's more on the ship itself not the Mediterranean cruise. If you don't like the Vista's Western route, she's also doing an 8 night Southern Caribbean (Grand Turk, Aruba, DR and Curaçao), on opposite weeks!! We're doing that this June.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-new-carnival-vista.3521334/

I have. I probably commented on it too. It's awesome.

Not sure which route we would take yet. I had my heart set on a "Save the turtles" excursion in Cozumel that I am quite sad I had to cancel... That is why I was kinda looking for Cozumel in the itinerary but since we are not booked yet, I have a lot of time to make a choice and read about each destination.

Last edited:
She booked on the Carnival Vista. The is one of the best ships (IMHO) in the Carnival Fleet. Vista is on our short list of ships for future cruises.
We are booked on that ship in October. I couldn't tell by reservation confirmation what ship it was.

Which itinerary?
The 8 day Oct 21. I am tempted to switch to the 6 day Oct 28 and get a Havana Cabana. I haven't been to the ports on the 8 day, but we've been to the Caribbean so many times all the islands just seem repetitive to me at this point. I'm kind of looking for a different cruise experience and one of those Cabanas would fit the bill. They aren't cheap by any means, but still less then an inside room on the Fantasy.

I am tempted to switch to the 6 day Oct 28 and get a Havana Cabana

The Havana Suites are really nice. The Cabana area is like having your own private deck area on the ship. It's like a balcony, but not. You also have exclusive access to the Havana Pool and deck area during the day, so your not competing with the rest of the ship for the pool and/or deck chairs. This is off limits to kids and only for Havana Suite guests during the day. You also have access to the Havana Bar, right by the Havana pool. It opens up to other guests in the evening, but during sea days, your not fighting the masses for a deck chair if you want to sit by the pool and not in your Cabana.

That being said......8 days are always better than 6....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter