CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m interested in that question as well.

If I remember correctly, in the USA, they announced recently that people who are fully vaccinated don’t/won’t need a PCR test to board the airplane anymore?

For us (in Canada) right now, the biggest problem is that we may not be able to receive tests results on time to board an airplane, they are extremely expensive (last time I checked they were around 150$-250$/pp and mandatory)... and then, unless we fly in the same day, they are not valid anymore (past the 72 hours window) to board the cruiseship. And I am not even talking about the mandatory quarantine in hotels in Canada. They are making it extremely complicated and $$$$$$ to travel. If that’s if you test negative. If you test positive all hell break loose.
I looked at the state department website and it says you do need a negative PCR test to return to the US. I don't if it's been updated. If these vaccines work like they claim they do they really need to stop all this nonsense. Life needs to get back to normal. I won't leave the country if there's any chance I'm going to be quarantined on foreign soil for two weeks.

Just to add I checked the state department again it was updated on April 2 and you do need a negative PCR test. This includes the fully vaccinated.

Last edited:
I looked at the state department website and it says you do need a negative PCR test to return to the US. I don't if it's been updated. If these vaccines work like they claim they do they really need to stop all this nonsense. Life needs to get back to normal. I won't leave the country if there's any chance I'm going to be quarantined on foreign soil for two weeks.

Just to add I checked the state department again it was updated on April 2 and you do need a negative PCR test. This includes the fully vaccinated.

Ok. This is what we heard on our side, didn’t know you needed a negative test to return.( I’m thinking cruise lines could be able to provide testing?) :

https://globalnews.ca/news/7735834/u-s-covid-19-vaccinated-people-travel/

Ok. This is what we heard on our side, didn’t know you needed a negative test to return.( I’m thinking cruise lines could be able to provide testing?) :

https://globalnews.ca/news/7735834/u-s-covid-19-vaccinated-people-travel/
They provide it to get on the ship, but not to enter or leave the country according to NCL‘s website. If you test positive before boarding the will refund your money and cover travel expenses. All other government testing requirements are on you.

If international travel is going to resume none of this is feasible. How are a millions of people flying on thousands of aircraft going to be tested daily? I’m going to assume this is just temporary since very few people are traveling international.

Not the case for domestic travel in the US. Airports are packed and flights are full. MCO was the usual hot mess on Saturday. I was so happy I have TSA precheck. The regular line was 60 minutes.

I’m interested in that question as well.

If I remember correctly, in the USA, they announced recently that people who are fully vaccinated don’t/won’t need a PCR test to board the airplane anymore?

For us (in Canada) right now, the biggest problem is that we may not be able to receive tests results on time to board an airplane, they are extremely expensive (last time I checked they were around 150$-250$/pp and mandatory)... and then, unless we fly in the same day, they are not valid anymore (past the 72 hours window) to board the cruiseship. And I am not even talking about the mandatory quarantine in hotels in Canada. They are making it extremely complicated and $$$$$$ to travel. If that’s if you test negative. If you test positive all hell break loose.
The Bahamian government is requiring us to be tested 2 days before we return, so they will be testing us on the ship.
We also recently found out the process for getting a tourist visa. Even though we’ve been fully vaccinated we have to get tested no longer than 5 days before we land in Nassau, once we get our results back, then and only then, can we apply for the tourist visa, which can take up to 48 hours to be processed. So we could literally be on the plane flying the day before we’re supposed to get on the ship and still not know if our visa has been approved.
We decided that is too much stress for a vacation and have canceled it. Luckily I never changed our airline tickets so we can still go to WDW

The Bahamian government is requiring us to be tested 2 days before we return, so they will be testing us on the ship.
We also recently found out the process for getting a tourist visa. Even though we’ve been fully vaccinated we have to get tested no longer than 5 days before we land in Nassau, once we get our results back, then and only then, can we apply for the tourist visa, which can take up to 48 hours to be processed. So we could literally be on the plane flying the day before we’re supposed to get on the ship and still not know if our visa has been approved.
We decided that is too much stress for a vacation and have canceled it. Luckily I never changed our airline tickets so we can still go to WDW

Oof. Can’t blame you.

I don’t know that I could deal with that stress either.

I can't blame you, that is stressful! But I have to say I was SO looking forward to hearing your review of the entire trip! :laughing:

I
On a positive note I think your going to love the no fast pass Covid WDW. I just returned from our third trip. The longest we ever waited was 45 minutes for FOP. Its intimidating when you see the lines snake around for a mile outside, but they move fast. I think June is the wettest month which can work in your favor if your prepared for it.

It's coming back into the US that is the problem.

I actually think it's the opposite. I was researching cruises on both RCCL & NCL and it looks like you'll be tested on the ship prior to returning to the US, so that would be taken care of and paid for by the cruise line. I would think that was the easier part. If you wanted to stay in whatever port you returned to for a few days, like I know some people do, then obviously you're on your own.

It's coming back into the US that is the problem.

I think it was really the tourist visa that was referred to above that would be the issue, if you don't know until you are enroute whether you can get that to enter the country. The change would mean you don't need to worry on that part. Yes you still have to get the test done for the return to the US but as @belle032 says it looks like that will be done on the ship and taken care of by the cruise line.

I actually think it's the opposite. I was researching cruises on both RCCL & NCL and it looks like you'll be tested on the ship prior to returning to the US, so that would be taken care of and paid for by the cruise line. I would think that was the easier part. If you wanted to stay in whatever port you returned to for a few days, like I know some people do, then obviously you're on your own.

I could be wrong but I believe some resorts like Atlantis are offering some kind of testing?

I think it's the fear of someone in your party testing positive and getting stuck there.

Nope, sticking with WDW. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️
I think you made the right choice. Cruising sounds really stressful right now. Other than the mask and an occasional temp check WDW is business as usual. You will feel like you are on a vacation. I was debating about booking the Fantasy or Mardi gras for fall break, but after reading through all the guidelines I don't know.

Good morning,

I was wondering if any of you had tried Princess? Which ships?

I’ve been paying attention to their ships a little bit more after seeing « Sanctuary » decks... Wow, that is my type of ship right there!

Now, my husband wants to know if they have comedy shows.

I’m curious about the food too.

From what I understand, they offer an all-inclusive experience with drinks, wifi and pre-paid gratuities.

The prices are surprisingly affordable.

Paid stuff: Do you have any examples?

Disappointment: What are you looking for?
I don’t want to be treated differently because I didn’t buy a top of the line cabin.
Paid stuff - I can’t use a certain pool because I didn’t pay to use it. Can’t use a certain bar because I didn’t pay to use it

I don’t want to be treated differently because I didn’t buy a top of the line cabin.
Paid stuff - I can’t use a certain pool because I didn’t pay to use it. Can’t use a certain bar because I didn’t pay to use it

Unfortunately, lounges and pools ($) and specialty restaurants ($) exist on every cruise line... I actually can’t think of a single cruise line who doesn’t have that.

You have been treated differently because you did not have a top of the line cabin? On Carnival?

I can only speak from my own experience but If there is cruise line where I’ve received excellent service, no matter what cabin I had, it’s on Carnival.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter