• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that MSC has and I wish Carnival had. An « Easy Drink Package ». Around 35$/pp per day (Carnival is at 55$, I think?). You can pick between 2-3 brands of beer, a selection of wine by the glass, a selection of a dozen drinks (like LIIT, Rum & Coke, Cape Cod, Screw Driver, etc.), soft drink, water bottles, coffee and tea.

I think we’ll pull the trigger on that one. :)

Ok why couldn't DCL offer something like this?! Looks like a perfect balance between adult offering, while remaining "family friendly."

On Carnival, specialty coffees are included with their drink package so this was usually our morning drink. We could easily drink 2 drinks by the pool, one before dinner, wine with dinner and a cocktail at the comedy shows late at night. We easily broke even without ever getting a buzz. :)

Same. Those coffees are yummy! I usually had one late afternoon while taking a break with a book. I never hit the 15 drink limit, DH might have once or twice, but we definitely got our money's worth without ever getting drunk. It's completely doable to be a normal person enjoying some drinks on the package and still make it worth the cost.

Ok why couldn't DCL offer something like this?! Looks like a perfect balance between adult offering, while remaining "family friendly."

Same. Those coffees are yummy! I usually had one late afternoon while taking a break with a book. I never hit the 15 drink limit, DH might have once or twice, but we definitely got our money's worth without ever getting drunk. It's completely doable to be a normal person enjoying some drinks on the package and still make it worth the cost.

MSC has so many fun drink packages. I wish all cruise lines offered something like this.

RCCL had a drink package for JUST nonalcoholic beverages, which was TBH more up my alley... does Carnival/other cruise lines not do the same? I'm generally a one or none a day drinker... though it does trend more to a beer a day when I am on a ship. ^^;

RCCL had a drink package for JUST nonalcoholic beverages, which was TBH more up my alley... does Carnival/other cruise lines not do the same? I'm generally a one or none a day drinker... though it does trend more to a beer a day when I am on a ship. ^^;

Carnival does not. MSC does though.

There’s the Bottomless bubbles package but I don’t think it covers coffee?

There’s the Bottomless bubbles package but I don’t think it covers coffee?

Thats a shame... I drink even less soda than I do alcohol (zero... I'm an oddball that dislikes soda). I drank my weight in bottled water, fresh juice and decaf specialty coffee that cruise. :laughing:

If I understand the news correctly, Carnival ships who will go into dry dock will now wear the new colors of Carnival (same hull design as Mardi Gras), starting with Carnival Magic?

I like it!

I love it! Subtle change, but it elevates the look of the ships for sure. Would definitely be interested in giving the Magic another try after she comes out of drydock.

Thats a shame... I drink even less soda than I do alcohol (zero... I'm an oddball that dislikes soda). I drank my weight in bottled water, fresh juice and decaf specialty coffee that cruise. :laughing:

Checked the Carnival website, and yup, it's just soda & juice. I agree that including coffee & bottled water would be nice! They could sell the heck out of that package.

I love it! Subtle change, but it elevates the look of the ships for sure. Would definitely be interested in giving the Magic another try after she comes out of drydock.
(...)

I agree. I can't wait to see the new look "in person". I already think it looks even better on videos than on pictures.

I just love it when ships have either dark or very colorful hulls. I'm also a big fan of the NCL designs.

Update on the easy drink package on MSC: apparently they are not available on 3 nights cruises. I'm a bit disappointed as I know on other cruises I've had drink packages

Is it just that drink package that's not available? Or are no packages available at all? Either way, that seems strange. Wonder what the reasoning is.

Looking at Carnival Magic to Bermuda in August 2022. It leaves from New York, we've never been there so I'd do a few days in the city before/after as well. Hoping by then things will be back to "normal"!

I’ve been watching MSC Seaside vlogs this past week. I’m sure you will have a wonderful time!

We were booked in the Yacht Club on the Seaside in March and were very disappointed when it canceled. That ship looks amazing.

I have just heard that Carnival is cancelling all sailings until August 1 except for Vista, Breeze and Horizon.

Apparently so...I’ve watched enough YouTube videos about it lol! It might only be on sea days though.

I think I remember having tea on a port day in Alaska (Princess, 3 different cruises/ itineraries). It was afternoon tea, so it didn’t conflict with doing excursions. (In addition to Sea Days).

Carnival had tea on the two sea days on a 4-night cruise to Cozumel. Actually a better selection of sandwiches, cakes, and pastries. Please tea from a selection. Good options are chosen from a cart. On my cruise, this was poorly attended, as was a Dr Seuss brunch, which was surprisingly good.

Tea on Princess is a plus for me. Scones with clotted cream, sandwiches, and assorted cookies. The tea is made in large batches, but is fine enough. Gloved waiters come around with platters of goodies. This is not greatly attended either. The Pub lunch gets a better turnout on Princess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter