Caribbean Beach Resort - What Happened?

V12

Earning My Ears
How did CBR get so run down? As a longtime WDW fan and visitor, I’ve heard a lot about it over the years. People rave about it in fact. This trip we stayed there for two nights after several nights off property and… it’s in bad shape.

We have stayed at many Disney hotels because DH (m, 29) and I (f, 31) are on a mission to stay at every WDW resort. This was by far the worst room we have had on property, and yes, we’ve stayed at the All Stars and Pop! Dingy carpet and shower curtain, tub that drained slow. The whole room just felt old and tired. When DH and his brother who was staying next door set out to find waters at 11 after a long park day, the vending area was closed off. Bell services also didn’t deliver our bags until we called which I never remember having to do before.

We were put in Aruba building 56 and were magically upgraded to 5th sleeper rooms connecting with the family we went with, which was nice. That particular building is convenient because it’s maybe 50 yards from the Riviera Skyliner. But it just feels like I’m missing something because people RAVE about this hotel.

So what is it? Nostalgia? Am I just a hotel snob?

Bell services also didn’t deliver our bags until we called which I never remember having to do before.
You always have to call to have your bags delivered once you are in your room. Maybe you recall Magical Express service from the Airport, that service could drop your bags directly to your room without you needing to be present.

Dave

I know some people like it but I don’t recall it being raved about all over the place. I do recall discussion a while back that maintenance reports for CBR are all over the place these days ranging from great to what you had.

Bell Services won’t drop your bags without you in the room anywhere at Disney.

I stayed there in 2019, and I thought the room wasn't as clean as it should be. Also the main pool seemed a bit dirty. Those were my biggest complaints.

Dingy carpet and shower curtain, tub that drained slow. The whole room just felt old and tired.
Were both rooms in the same condition and did you report anything to the Front desk for maintenance to address like the slow drain or the Carpet?

Dave

How did CBR get so run down? As a longtime WDW fan and visitor, I’ve heard a lot about it over the years. People rave about it in fact. This trip we stayed there for two nights after several nights off property and… it’s in bad shape.

We have stayed at many Disney hotels because DH (m, 29) and I (f, 31) are on a mission to stay at every WDW resort. This was by far the worst room we have had on property, and yes, we’ve stayed at the All Stars and Pop! Dingy carpet and shower curtain, tub that drained slow. The whole room just felt old and tired. When DH and his brother who was staying next door set out to find waters at 11 after a long park day, the vending area was closed off. Bell services also didn’t deliver our bags until we called which I never remember having to do before.

We were put in Aruba building 56 and were magically upgraded to 5th sleeper rooms connecting with the family we went with, which was nice. That particular building is convenient because it’s maybe 50 yards from the Riviera Skyliner. But it just feels like I’m missing something because people RAVE about this hotel.

So what is it? Nostalgia? Am I just a hotel snob?

This is great feedback. Makes me second guess our upcoming stay here.

My husband must have called for the bags in the past.

I don’t mean these boards specifically. Mostly other Disney groups and travel agents
I know some people like it but I don’t recall it being raved about all over the place. I do recall discussion a while back that maintenance reports for CBR are all over the place these days ranging from great to what you had.

Were both rooms in the same condition and did you report anything to the Front desk for maintenance to address like the slow drain or the Carpet?

Dave
Both rooms were in the same condition and we enjoyed being with next door to our family, so we did not call but did give feedback at check out

You always have to call to have your bags delivered once you are in your room. Maybe you recall Magical Express service from the Airport, that service could drop your bags directly to your room without you needing to be present.

Dave
After conferring with my husband I think he may have called for bags in the past and forgot to do so this time!

I was under the impression that CBR was getting ready for a refresh after they redo the pirate rooms to Little Mermaid (were going to do entire resort). Not surprised at all about CBR and OP's experience. I've always heard more negative things about it in the past and only since the Skyliner went in did I hear people "raving" about it (my guess was the Skyliner access). I've always opted for PO (either FQ or RS) if I'm doing a moderate.

I was under the impression that CBR was getting ready for a refresh after they redo the pirate rooms to Little Mermaid (were going to do entire resort). Not surprised at all about CBR and OP's experience. I've always heard more negative things about it in the past and only since the Skyliner went in did I hear people "raving" about it (my guess was the Skyliner access). I've always opted for PO (either FQ or RS) if I'm doing a moderate.

This is what I thought as well. But maybe it got put on hold, since these guests were in the 5th sleepers that should have been updated.

We stayed once and that was all we needed. My understanding on the room updates is that disney only renovated the pirate themed rooms to an under the sea reno in Trinidad. I've heard they're very nice but the only reason they're upgrading those rooms is their location. They've far from the main lobby and amenities. I suppose it's fine if you don't hit the lobby up much but they are a haul.

We stayed in Jamaica and had a convenient room location but the rooms are really overtired & overpriced and need some major TLC!! The only real benefit at CBR is the skyliner, but you can stay at POP/AofA and get a nicer, newer room for less $ and still get skyliner access. I know you forfeit some mod upgrades compared to the value but CBR is a disney motel just like POP is.

Other things at the resort that were negatives for us.....
  • theming didn't really appeal to us
  • buses are slow to ramp up when the skyliner goes down for bad weather and the sheer number of bus stops really gets old after a week of riding them
  • never felt like the CM there were as friendly as other resorts. We've stayed at so many different resorts at Disney and while not everyone is over the top, most are helpful and friendly. We found most CM at CBR were not very happy nor helpful.
  • didn't love taking the bridge over to the lobby/main pool. It's pretty narrow and it's often crowded. I really do enjoy walking around disney resorts to see landscape, but the bridge is not really conducive to a nice walk when you're cramped with strollers and a lot of ppl
The only positives for us at CBR were the skyliner and proximity to The Riviera. It's nice to hop over there to eat, grab a coffee and walk around. I think a lot of ppl love CBR but it just didn't really work for us.

ETA- This resort, or at least the rooms, maybe 4ish years ago didn't seem as bad, but as disney adds brand new resorts and has refurbed almost all properties, it just looks worse than ever in comparison to everything else out there.

Last edited:

We always stay at POP and arrive early in the morning before our room is ready. We drop our bags at Bell Services and head to Epcot. Our bags are always waiting in our room when we return.

We started staying there after it was new. A few stays were wonderful but the last couple of stays were terrible ( dirty room, bathroom). Our last stay… We had a 2nd floor “garden view” in Jamaica right after the last refurb. The view was of a potted plant in the middle of the smoking area. Smokers on the balcony ,in the room 2 doors down and smoke coming under the door. Called and there were no rooms available. Never again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter