Car slams into parade in WI

I'm one hour north and have been following this since it happened last night. Person in custody was released Friday on $1,000 bail by a Milwaukee County judge for the charge of felony bail jumping the $500 bail that he was charged in July for a probation violation that was continued in February. Absolutely no reason this POS should have been on the street. How does a felon with a history of domestic violence, drug dealing, guns and meth possession get bail that low?

I'm one hour north and have been following this since it happened last night. Person in custody was released Friday on $1,000 bail by a Milwaukee County judge for the charge of felony bail jumping the $500 bail that he was charged in July for a probation violation that was continued in February. Absolutely no reason this POS should have been on the street. How does a felon with a history of domestic violence, drug dealing, guns and meth possession get bail that low?
The bail system in America is broken and misused.

Over 30 years ago, the Supreme Court explained in United States v. Salerno that, “In our society, liberty is the norm, and detention prior to or without trial is the carefully limited exception.”

https://time.com/5749542/cash-bail-impact/

Just because someone has been charged with a crime, does not mean they deserve pre trial detention. Innocent until proven guilty is a major tenant of our criminal justice system. You can't easily pick and choose who gets that protection.

And how did that work out here?
You can't go around jailing people for crimes you think they might commit in the future.

Our system of justice means that guilty people will sometimes get away with crimes and that guilty people will sometimes continue to commit crimes while awaiting trial.

The alternative is much worse, guilty until proven innocent.

Edited to add:
The bail system is for profit. A portion of the fee paid to the bail bondsman is generally split by the judge, prosecutor, and sheriff. Enticing the judge to set unreasonable high bails. Hundreds of thousands of innocent people are jailed pre trial every year because they cannot afford their bail or the bail bondsman fee. Hundreds of thousands of innocent people's lives are destroyed every year by the for profit bail system. People left rotting in jail for months or years for their trial while their family's struggle to eat and fight to not be homeless while the main money maker in the family rots in jail pre trial.

Last edited:
Sickening. I saw the guys video about being a paedo, he seemingly explained the charges that sex trafficking, in his words "pimping" a 16 YO (who had his oldest child) down in Vegas was overblown because he didn't know she was 16, so this is the sticking point in his story, as if it's ok if she's older. Long list of violence of all sorts towards others, with accompanying mug shots. Whoever let this person out of custody has blood on their hands & there is a lot of it.
Who is this

As of this morning there are 5 dead and 40 injured in Waukesha. A friend’s daughter attends nearby Carroll college. The car was abandoned in the driveway of one of her friends.

You can't go around jailing people for crimes you think they might commit in the future.
Yes, let's just let everyone go. Let the murderers out so they can kill their witnesses before trial.

I'm not saying we need to lock people up if we think they are a danger. But apparently there is a line somewhere that does indeed allow for people to be detained prior to trial.

If you'd like to further discuss the bail system in our country, you might want to start another thread so as not to derail this one so quickly.

Yes, let's just let everyone go. Let the murderers out so they can kill their witnesses before trial.
Never said there were not some people that should have pre trial detention but the current system is broken and needs to be fixed.

It was a badly worded statement then… this is a horrible tragedy
Yes, it is and until the good people of Wisconsin and this country take a strong stand against the idiots it is only going to get worse. So let's all just stand by and "see what happens". The problem is by then it may be to late.

Our system of justice means that guilty people will sometimes get away with crimes and that guilty people will sometimes continue to commit crimes while awaiting trial.

The alternative is much worse, guilty until proven innocent.

Edited to add:
The bail system is for profit. A portion of the fee paid to the bail bondsman is generally split by the judge, prosecutor, and sheriff. Enticing the judge to set unreasonable high bails. Hundreds of thousands of innocent people are jailed pre trial every year because they cannot afford their bail or the bail bondsman fee. Hundreds of thousands of innocent people's lives are destroyed every year by the for profit bail system. People left rotting in jail for months or years for their trial while their family's struggle to eat and fight to not be homeless while the main money maker in the family rots in jail pre trial.

Can you provide where you got those stats? That number seems very high but I don’t know much about it.

I agree that you cannot keep people in jail based in what they might do. This man has a lengthy criminal record, including skipping out on bail. I think its pretty reasonable to take all of that into account when setting such low bail. You sure as hell can look at what they HAVE done.
Maybe if his bail had been set at 100k he wouldn’t have been out on the streets involved in a crime he had to flee and mow down children in a parade.

Can you provide where you got those stats? That number seems very high but I don’t know much about it.

I agree that you cannot keep people in jail based in what they might do. This man has a lengthy criminal record, including skipping out on bail. I think its pretty reasonable to take all of that into account when setting such low bail. You sure as hell can look at what they HAVE done.
Maybe if his bail had been set at 100k he wouldn’t have been out on the streets involved in a crime he had to flee and mow down children in a parade.
I actually looked into this because I've seen enough coverage over our bond systems and usually how the poor are quite disproportionately affected by it so I wondered what rules could be in play here. According to an article a few years ago for WI "The Wisconsin Constitution states that cash bail can be used only as a means of making sure the accused appears for the next court hearing — meaning judges are not supposed to consider public safety when making decisions about bail."

On the one hand you're absolutely not wrong nor others that clearly this person had a history such that the public had cause for immediate concern regarding his potential actions, on the other hand there's a long history of how prejudicial and discriminations bails have been used both in terms of racial and income based situations. I do not know the ins and outs of the person of interest's life just giving the information as I read about it and relating it to why that might make sense to do it that way.

Just because someone has been charged with a crime, does not mean they deserve pre trial detention. Innocent until proven guilty is a major tenant of our criminal justice system. You can't easily pick and choose who gets that protection.
No, the fact that he has a lengthy history of bail jumping, including November 5th when he failed to appear for a court hearing where he is charged with reckless endangerment, felon in possession of a firearm and domestic abuse. Bail in that case was originally set at $10,000, lowered to $7,500 then lowered again to $500. The tenet always used to be that if you failed to show up for a court date you would be held until trial. In this case the county court commissioner set bail at $1,000.

I'm seriously considering driving down this afternoon to donate blood, but have been told the response this morning has overwhelmed the local hospitals and blood centers. The United Way has started a fund to help those affected by this absolutely tragic event. https://wccf.fcsuite.com/erp/donate/create?funit_id=3559

18 children being treated at Children's Wisconsin, the best children's hospital in the state, thankfully only about 12 miles from where this took place. Three sets of siblings being treated inpatient at Children's. City will be holding a press conference at 1pm CST. The Dancing Grannies of Milwaukee has stated that at least one of the deceased was a member of their group.

Well, based on what we're learning now, this has changed from a tragic incident into a brutal massacre by a long-time hard-core criminal.

It's hard for good people to understand, but criminals like this truly do not care who or how many they kill. That's a fundamental truth about a very small percentage of the population that many just can't accept.

Our family's thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected. We're so sorry for their losses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter