Cant decide on 2nd contract

Cashmeregal

Earning My Ears
We want to purchase a second contract. Own at AKL. We are newish as in we bought just prior to covid situation. My family loves the Boardwalk we have stayed on both sides DVC and cash. However with a 2042 end date I am looking towards possibly buying at Bay Lake Tower instead. Curious on other owners two cents. My kids are currently 18,15, and 10. Everyone loves location aesthetic etc of Boardwalk. Our first return trip was there in 2019 and it was pretty close to perfect. I'm the only one with any reservation and it's really just the end date. I also love BW but walking to Magic Kingdom sounds pretty good as well.

I understand. I’m in the same boat with BCV’s 2042 date. I Bought Copper Creek (which I love too) in July 2019 and now want a second contract. I was torn about BCV’s 2042 but I’m NOW looking at buying BCV soon. 20 years of home resort advantage in that location is worth it to me.

We own BCV, CCV, and BLT as our WDW resorts, but BCV always seems to be our top pick. We enjoy split stays, but we want to stay at BCV every trip for at least a few nights. If your entire family loves BWV purchase there! 20ish years is a looooing time to wish you had bought where you really want to stay. Don’t get me wrong, BLT is fantastic for the walk to MK, but the ability to walk to Epcot and/or HS is the best!

This past spring we also looked, then purchased a second contract. We already own CCV since 2017 but wanted another Home resort. It was between BCV and VGF. While I love being able to walk right into my favorite park, Epcot, 2042 end year was the main reason we chose not to go with BCV. It just didn’t make since for my family in the end as our kids are only 5. We ultimately went with VGF and we could be more excited.

We are in escrow to buy BCV for our first DVC. With our boys being 4 and 2 years, 2042 will be a perfect end date with them out of college and the timing of our retirement. We don’t want to be locked into our retirement years paying maintenance fees. 20+ years is a very long time to stay where you love. Go for it!

If you love the Boardwalk, buy there. The good feelings from having a longer commitment will soon seem unimportant if you & the family are always wishing to be somewhere else. I doubt you will be happy crammed into a studio for long even if you are now, and the BWV two bedrooms have a favorable point chart. (5 in a studio at BLT won't work, so you will be in at least a 1 bedroom there).

Good luck with your decision.

BW resale is insane right now. I'd argue it still makes sense against cash, but maybe not against renting points anymore. Renting BW points is always an option, especially if you are on the fence.

But this isn't always about math. If you love this contract and will use its 11 month priority, then maybe you should spend a few hundred extra dollars.

Buying cheaper points to book BW may be a strategy, but a risky one.

I used to think the 2042s would drop off, but they haven't shown any sign of it yet. I wouldn't bet on it for many years for BW/BC at least.

Last edited:

I thought BWV would be my 2nd contract having stayed at the YC a few times I knew I loved the location, then I stayed there & decided against it. Have you stayed at BLT? If not try it out next trip, maybe do a split BWV/BLT trip & then see how you feel about BWV v. BLT.

Thank you. Unfortunately, we may not be able to stay at BLT before we decide, we have it waitlisted but unlikely at this time I am sure. We stay in two bedrooms with having teens and usually at least one guest. But I appreciated everyone's advice and when normal times arrive no matter where we buy we should occasionally be able to stay at the other Thanks again for your advice.

BLT is the family favorite of the 3 resorts we own, so I think it's a great choice. Long life, low dues, good point chart. It has MK resort appeal. (We always feel like we're a big deal when staying at a monorail resort) But we've never stayed at BWV. There used to be a clown there. Maybe now that the clown is gone we might try it and compare.

I own at BWV and love it there. I would not be to concerned about 2042, after all it is 21 years from now. I imagine that DVC will do something for current owners at that point. I also own at RIV. Have you looked at it? With the Skyliner it is almost as good as BWV.

BWV is still a great resort. I think 7 month window is okay in garden view. I would opt for BLT instead or maybe RIV...but I dont like RIV prices point now

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!