Canon Rebel XT ?

cute baby!
your dof button is by the button you push to remove the lens, ( below it) not the one with the lightening bolt on it. truthfully it doesn't help all that much but better than nothing
forget what lens you bought but...
you can use natural light, position the baby close to( beside not in front of) a brightly sunlit window and then use the largest aperture( smallest f number) you have. or try using your onboard flash with some wax or tissue paper on it to diffuse the light and see if that helps. try to reduce the clutter behind him as well with a sheet or something then you won't see the stuff if you can't get the dof low enough to really blur things. and put him a little distance in front of the background not right by it
you need a tripod or something stable to rest your camera on if you are going to use a small aperture like the f29/6. the shutter is open to long to keep it from blurring
this is one i took of my granddaughter a few yrs ago in natural light. she was between two windows, in front of a medium toned wall. one window behind her head and one ( the brighter one) to her right and behind. that is how i got the haloish effect on her face ( not saying it's the greatest photo, just an eg that you can do some different things in natural light) i used my 50mm f1.8 lens at f2.5 shutter 1/100 of a second iso 200. remember you can raise your iso to up your shutter speed but i'd be cautious with anything above 400, it will be really noisy. usually i find 400 to be to noisy
3378269629_33f11ea4aa.jpg

I would recommend reading a book "Understanding Exposure" by Peterson. A wealth of information.

Jack

I would recommend reading a book "Understanding Exposure" by Peterson. A wealth of information.

Jack

I recommend it too. I've read it several times and maybe it's just me but everytime I go back and learn something I missed previously. Also, The Digital Photography books 1&2 by Scott Kelby are good, quick reads which help you get started by telling you how to get the kind of photo you want and gives examples. Good luck!
ETA: To achieve what you want with the blurred background you should consider getting the nifty 50mm 1.8 or even the 30mm 1.4 sigma. The 50mm 1.8 becomes like a portrait lens (75mm in film). It may be too close for you to capture your baby in a small room. The 30mm will give you a little more wiggle room.

Speaking of depth of field button on the lens, i looked at the menu and tried pressing button, and i then can see values of aperture , AWB etc, but what exactly is it supposed to show and how it could help me?

Speaking of depth of field button on the lens, i looked at the menu and tried pressing button, and i then can see values of aperture , AWB etc, but what exactly is it supposed to show and how it could help me?

Even when we select f/8, f/16, whatever, the lens stays wide open until the moment of exposure, and re-opens immediately. This is so we get a nice bright view, when the lens is stopped down the viewfinder can get very dark.

However... with the lens wide open we only see the depth of field for the wide open aperture. In order to see the real depth of field at the selected aperture we must press the button to close down the lens. If the aperture setting is for wide open (f/3.5 - f/5.6 for the kit lens) we will see no change when the DOF Preview button is pressed, the lens is already wide open.

You're probably going to get some responses like, "get another camera strap that is more comfortable" or something to that effect, but don't listen to them. I always use a Disney strap with my camera, and while it may be uncomfortable, it is the perfect way to "Disney-ize" you camera. The human body can bear with discomfort. The same cannot be said for dealing with a lack of Disney-spirit.

As for your actual question, to attach it, push the strap (this might be a tad difficult) through the metal inserts on the camera, then loop the strap through the double black "adjustable clip-thing" then through the single black "adjustable clip-thing." Sorry that isn't more descriptive.

You're probably going to get some responses like, "get another camera strap that is more comfortable" or something to that effect, but don't listen to them. I always use a Disney strap with my camera, and while it may be uncomfortable, it is the perfect way to "Disney-ize" you camera. The human body can bear with discomfort. The same cannot be said for dealing with a lack of Disney-spirit.

As for your actual question, to attach it, push the strap (this might be a tad difficult) through the metal inserts on the camera, then loop the strap through the double black "adjustable clip-thing" then through the single black "adjustable clip-thing." Sorry that isn't more descriptive.

Thank you sooo much for your help!! My DH was able to figure it out!! :woohoo: Yeah--I don't really care about a little discomfort. This strap is just too cute!! :lovestruc Thanks again!!

I had the same issue with this strap. I used the triangular key rings that came with the strap and put those onto the camera. Then attached the strap to the rings.

As for the strap itself... I used it for a month and it was not comfortable so it now sits in the closet unused. I liked the idea of a disney strap, but comfort became my number 1 priority.

I am actually using the free smugmug strap right now. It is very comfortable.

I use this strap on my Xti and I wasn't able to figure it out either. I eventually ended up tying it through the strap holes and then tying a knot. Its worked great and is SO much more comfortable the strap that came with my camera!

Katie

I use this strap on my Xti and I wasn't able to figure it out either. I eventually ended up tying it through the strap holes and then tying a knot. Its worked great and is SO much more comfortable the strap that came with my camera!

Katie

My DH ended up taking off the triangular metal rings and looping it through like the original strap that came with my camera.

I put 2 small caribeener clips on the ends of the triangular rings and use it as the strap on my camera bag as opposed to the strap on my camera. It just wasn't comfy at all. I have a Phatstrap on my camera now. Very comfy.

I am new to the DIS boards but some friends of mine who regularly look here told me this might be the place to find out if anyone else has had the same problem I have had with my camera. I want to be able to take fireworks photos at the different parks on an upcoming trip. I have tried taking shots of lightening with no luck (I kind of miss my old Canon 35mm camera). I have followed the instruction book to the letter but still nothing. It seems that the camera needs some light coming in to hold the shutter open. If anyone has some advice I'm all ears (pun intended). Thanks for your help.

What mode are you attempting to shoot them in? You should be just fine in manual mode. I have also found it helpful to put it in manual focus as well, so it doesn't hunt for focus (maybe that's what your freind is refering to?)

It's not so much that there needs to be light, it's a matter of what mode you're in. The key is to shoot in manual mode with the shutter set to bulb mode. In this mode, the shutter will remain open as long as you hold the shutter down. (A remote is very helpful.) The aperture and ISO controls the brightness of the fireworks (and any ambient light). (I generally use f/11-f/16 and ISO 100.) You'll also need to support your camera on a tripod or some other way. When shooting, what I do is to hold the shutter open for several bursts, blocking the lens with a hat (or something else) between them.

If you google fireworks photography there will be several sites with tips. If you want some examples taken with the XT (not WDW), I have some up at my website at www sanschagrin com, click the July 4th 2009 Fireworks link (you'll have to put the link together as I can't post links yet).

I haven't looked online anywhere yet, but is anyone aware of/dealing with a problem with the 430exII slipping out of the shoe? Yesterday I noticed it coming loose quite a bit. I was shooting in AP and a couple of times when I thought the flash should have fired it didn't. When I would look I'd notice that the flash had wormed it's way backwards and wasn't making full contact. It is as if the flash isn't locking into position. This is a new problem. Any suggestions/ideas? I have only had the flash since last x-mas.

I haven't looked online anywhere yet, but is anyone aware of/dealing with a problem with the 430exII slipping out of the shoe? Yesterday I noticed it coming loose quite a bit. I was shooting in AP and a couple of times when I thought the flash should have fired it didn't. When I would look I'd notice that the flash had wormed it's way backwards and wasn't making full contact. It is as if the flash isn't locking into position. This is a new problem. Any suggestions/ideas? I have only had the flash since last x-mas.

Are you screwing the dial all the way down to tighten it? (sorry, we have to ask the most obvious questions first)

Are you screwing the dial all the way down to tighten it? (sorry, we have to ask the most obvious questions first)

There is no dial, the 430ex ii is a quick lock. The 430 ex, has a dial lock. The pin is dislodging somehow.

I have had this camera a few years with the standard 18-55 lense it came with. I would like to get another lense- something that zooms a little more.
Anybody have the 55-250 lense and your opinion? Or any other suggestions?:thumbsup2

The 55-250 is a great entry level companion to the 18-55 kit lens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter