Cancelling Reservations

lissiesmum

DIS Veteran
I just got certified to teach Elementary School and so far have not found a job yet for the Fall. My consolation prize for not getting a job will be to take my 3 year old to WDW for our first trip together in October to see the MNSSHP. I want to book it now and cross my fingers I can go to WDW, but if I get a job, I will have to wait and go on a school vacation. Could someone give me the lowdown on how many days you have to cancel your resort, is there a penalty, etc. Or if someone has a link they could direct me to? I figure I will at least book my resort now, wait until September to see if I get a job and then if I don't, I will book my airfare in September and be good to go.

It depends on how you book. If you book a room-only reservation, you have up until 6 days out to cancel. If you book a MYW package with room and tickets, and a dining plan if you choose, you have to cancel by 45 days out to avoid penalty.

okay, so room only, you have until almost a week before to cancel without penalty. I wouldn't need to cut it that close so that sounds really good. So if I get room only first, can I order my park tickets separately at a different time, or do any of you go to your local Disney Store and purchase them then? I will definitely not be doing the Dining Plan, My DD3 is a picky eater and doesn't eat much at that so eating will not be a big expense for us thank goodness :)

Okay, I have a part two to my question. I'm not sure how many days I will be staying as I will probably base it on the cheapest days to travel when I book my airefare. Let's say I make a ressie for eight days, but end up only needing six days, can you cancel a few days the same as an entire reservation with the same penalty rules?

It's not really necessary to order tickets ahead of time. It's easy to purchase them on site.

Yes, you can make changes to the number of days on your room only reservation. My experience has been that it's easier to add or drop days at the end of the reservation than to change the check in date. The one time I changed the check in date, they had to cancel my old reservation and book a new one. Any time that happens, you run the risk of losing your availability.

I would get your airfare pinned down first, and then book your room nights accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter