Cancelling DVC Reservation due to Hurricane

My use year is Oct and I am currently on a trip. If I chose to leave tomorrow, would they let me bank these points? I can’t come over the next severa months.

My use year is Oct and I am currently on a trip. If I chose to leave tomorrow, would they let me bank these points? I can’t come over the next severa months.

I think they might make the exception assuming they are not already banked.

If already banked, I don’t think they will.

I had a one day reservation with a mix of banked and unbanked points from '22 Oct use year. They allowed me to cancel without holding penalty. The previously banked points remained banked to use within this use year as normal. The unbanked points were placed into the use year and able to be banked as normal by the usual bank deadline.

Yesterday, we changed our checkin day from Friday, 9/30 to Saturday, 10/1 and were able to get the points (current UY) back without the holding penalty.

Anyone have experience with rented points? We have Thursday through dvc rental and looks like I’ll just lose money for that stay. Doesn’t look like they have any options unless the resort were to close.

And then renting Friday-Tuesday through private dvc owner, not sure if able to move anything. I would see if Tuesday and Wednesday night available and remove Friday but im not owner of points. Also calendar for future reservations is closed or full it seems.

I imagine owner of points would have to be one to call and move dates.

Anyone have experience with rented points? We have Thursday through dvc rental and looks like I’ll just lose money for that stay. Doesn’t look like they have any options unless the resort were to close.

And then renting Friday-Tuesday through private dvc owner, not sure if able to move anything. I would see if Tuesday and Wednesday night available and remove Friday but im not owner of points. Also calendar for future reservations is closed or full it seems.

Wishing you the best of luck and hope things work out for you! But just an F Y I, I just spent 5and half hours on hold to talk to member services to adjust my dates yesterday. A call- back to MS by my husband was a fail, never got that call so being on hold at least paid off. But just IMHO , most owners would not be willing to spend hours on hold to switch reservations for renter.

Reactions: cm8
I still have my Boardwalk view for friday night, but I know I need to call and cancel...

I still have my Boardwalk view for friday night, but I know I need to call and cancel...
I feel your pain! We have an old key west one bedroom for Friday( already moved it TO Friday from original arrival date of Tuesday!) also and trying to decide if should change to Saturday. or even Sunday We will have to drive from Connecticut , leaving Thursday night to make it for Friday.

Contact the owner and the rental companies...

Unfortunately, rentals are tough when something like this happens if the resorts don't close. It sounds like neither one of your contracts gives any type of remedy outside of that....and to move a reservation with DVC is simply not easy...and TBH, this is the busy time for DVC so you are probably looking at everything being booked up, and what might be open, might not be the same number of points in which the DVC owner might not have them to rent to you, even if they were willing to try.

But, in both cases, rental company or private owner, owners of the reservation are the only ones who can call and try to adjust things..

Unfortunately, rentals are tough when something like this happens if the resorts don't close. It sounds like neither one of your contracts gives any type of remedy outside of that....and to move a reservation with DVC is simply not easy...and TBH, this is the busy time for DVC so you are probably looking at everything being booked up, and what might be open, might not be the same number of points in which the DVC owner might not have them to rent to you, even if they were willing to try.

But, in both cases, rental company or private owner, owners of the reservation are the only ones who can call and try to adjust things..
Agree that rentals are tough and definitely no one size fits all solution especially since points can expire at any time. My only hope is that brokers aren’t trying to re-rent reservations to locals or friends wanting to ride out the hurricane without any compensation to the first renter who had to cancel because of the hurricane. It’d be hard to tell how one could even determine that’s happening but I’m sure there are owners out there who would be complicit if they got a piece of the re-rent.

Agree that rentals are tough and definitely no one size fits all solution especially since points can expire at any time. My only hope is that brokers aren’t trying to re-rent reservations to locals or friends wanting to ride out the hurricane without any compensation to the first renter who had to cancel because of the hurricane. It’d be hard to tell how one could even determine that’s happening but I’m sure there are owners out there who would be complicit if they got a piece of the re-rent.

I do not think they would do that because once the owner changed things before check in, they’d be in violation of the original contract and if the renter did decide to show up, they’d be due all their money back or the broker would be on the hook to pay for something else for them.

Even if I was renting, and a renter told me they were not going, I’d still leave things as is and let the points be forfeited because I’d been paid for them…assuming there was not part of the contract that required a rebooking..but mine never have.

Reactions: cm8

You just have to contact the private rental you have. Never know. I cancelled and am refunding a rental that was to check in tomorrow but that's just me.

With the broker - it's probably a no go.

Yeah. Think I’m just out of the money for my one night booked with dvc rental store. Looks like their policy is no refund unless resort itself closes. Not sure how that would work since you are still technically able to check in before 3pm.
But I’ll contact to cancel even if I get nothing back, maybe dvc can use room for cast member or someone needing a place.

The rest of my rental through an individual is probably tough to move. Seems they’d be willing if it were as easy as logging in and looking for different dates but obviously it’s blocked from being able to do new reservations. I’d be willing to move dates and pay more for higher point week.

Risk of renting in hurricane season, lesson learned and maybe someone else will learn from my mistake.
I’ll report back if anything changes

Wishing you the best of luck and hope things work out for you! But just an F Y I, I just spent 5and half hours on hold to talk to member services to adjust my dates yesterday. A call- back to MS by my husband was a fail, never got that call so being on hold at least paid off. But just IMHO , most owners would not be willing to spend hours on hold to switch reservations for renter.
That's so odd. I called yesterday to see what was being done although I had a couple other things I could do for our own October trip. The estimated 3 minute wait was rather off but still it was an hour to hold and ask my question then make one modification and 2 requests. An hour is still an hour but I was doing other stuff while waiting.
Today I called back to cancel the rental. Estimated 18 minute hold that was less. 24 minutes total for the call which included having to wait for the "team" to remove the points from holding.

Yeah. Think I’m just out of the money for my one night booked with dvc rental store. Looks like their policy is no refund unless resort itself closes. Not sure how that would work since you are still technically able to check in before 3pm.
But I’ll contact to cancel even if I get nothing back, maybe dvc can use room for cast member or someone needing a place.

The rest of my rental through an individual is probably tough to move. Seems they’d be willing if it were as easy as logging in and looking for different dates but obviously it’s blocked from being able to do new reservations. I’d be willing to move dates and pay more for higher point week.

Risk of renting in hurricane season, lesson learned and maybe someone else will learn from my mistake.
I’ll report back if anything changes
I wouldn't call it a mistake - weather - you just never know. The odds are higher at this time of year but it still is fairly rare for Orlando to be affected to the point of things closing down. Hopefully you can get it worked out for some change of dates!

I have to say that if DVC is preventing bookings and modifications online I think that's a terrible decision. I get calling in if you want to have the holding removed but if that's not a concern it shouldn't matter. I'm actually not convinced it follows the POS if the resort is open to block new bookings. IF the resorts were closed that's one thing but they are not.

I have to say that if DVC is preventing bookings and modifications online I think that's a terrible decision. I get calling in if you want to have the holding removed but if that's not a concern it shouldn't matter. I'm actually not convinced it follows the POS if the resort is open to block new bookings. IF the resorts were closed that's one thing but they are not.
Not sure how it is being done but it’s showing no availability anywhere for me.
So maybe it’s just a popular time and rooms are open anywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter