Cancelling a package

Proud Cheapskate

Mouseketeer
I'm not particularly concerned about the Coronavirus but I think in the next few weeks travel is going to slow significantly. As a result I can see reductions in shows, cast members etc at DLP as well as across Paris, I especially worry about transit problems and museum closures. I have a room/ticket package booked for April and I'm considering cancelling it. I'm looking at the fine print and am I reading this right, if you cancel more than 31 days out you incur a penalty of 15% per person so a total of 45%? We only made a deposit of $254 but would I lose nearly half of that? I'm already going to be out like $1400 in airfare (unless airlines start cancelling stuff), at this point I'd like to get as much back as possible.

Would you be able to move it? It might be better to move the booking till another time, then I don't think you would lose anything. Otherwise, yes your calculation is probably right.

we're to be there in early april as well - while we are not fearful of the virus, we are fearful of weird, ghost-town-like conditions. Plus, we dont want to have that one guy on the plane that has symptoms so we get quarantined for 14 days. Just not worth it. . .

I'm reading the Louvre is closed? Things are going to get ugly fast. Already started cancelling our other hotel reservations in Spain and France. Luckily our WDW APs are valid until June so I'm pretty sure I know where we'll end up that week in April.

At home now — yes, I’m beginning to fee
we're to be there in early april as well - while we are not fearful of the virus, we are fearful of weird, ghost-town-like conditions. Plus, we dont want to have that one guy on the plane that has symptoms so we get quarantined for 14 days. Just not worth it. . .
im beginning to feel that way as well - SHI&!!! - but my travel vendor is gocollette.com and they said I could rebook on another vacation no penalty but I’d lose my $300 for insurance.
So I’m looking at other places ... I’m trying but I too get a feeling it’s going to get ugly fast in Paris

I'm reading the Louvre is closed? Things are going to get ugly fast. Already started cancelling our other hotel reservations in Spain and France. Luckily our WDW APs are valid until June so I'm pretty sure I know where we'll end up that week in April.
Yup, closed
Notre dame - obviously closed
Eiffel Tower - closed for renovations
DISney land Paris - under threat of being closed

gone are the days of shaking ones hand or hugging someone etc due to this beer virus

At home now — yes, I’m beginning to fee

im beginning to feel that way as well - SHI&!!! - but my travel vendor is gocollette.com and they said I could rebook on another vacation no penalty but I’d lose my $300 for insurance.
So I’m looking at other places ... I’m trying but I too get a feeling it’s going to get ugly fast in Paris

I assume we'll be losing $1400+ in airfare and I'm still cancelling. If it were only $300 I probably would have cancelled last week

luckily, my entire trip is using reward travel so at worse I'll be out airline miles but it's possible we can rebook for a later date. DLP did tell me that I could rebook my trip to a later date without losing my deposit. my wife is worried about loss of miles but frankly, it's just not worth it. I'd rather go to Destin! :)

I actually used mostly CC points myself and although it's not technically money out of my pocket it's about $850 worth of points that took me a long time to accumulate. That's a flight to Aulani that I'll probably never get back. From the digging I'm doing even if the airlines offer the chance to cancel for a refund the points are most likely gone for good. That's the risk we run using points. Easy come easy go I guess.

I assume we'll be losing $1400+ in airfare and I'm still cancelling. If it were only $300 I probably would have cancelled last week
Yes - confirmed - I’m canceling - booking a domestic DISney vacation possible land / sea as an alternative.

just too many Paris landmarks closing ... makes no sense to still go in my opinion ...

I actually used mostly CC points myself and although it's not technically money out of my pocket it's about $850 worth of points that took me a long time to accumulate. That's a flight to Aulani that I'll probably never get back. From the digging I'm doing even if the airlines offer the chance to cancel for a refund the points are most likely gone for good. That's the risk we run using points. Easy come easy go I guess.
As long as France is not on a banned list of your airline it's going to be difficult, but you can always just call and ask. They don't always publish on the website what the possibilities are. The worst that can happen is that say no, what you are already prepared for.

Yup, closed
Notre dame - obviously closed
Eiffel Tower - closed for renovations
DISney land Paris - under threat of being closed

gone are the days of shaking ones hand or hugging someone etc due to this beer virus
Full information
ND-closed due to fire not virus
Eiffel tower- is OPEN! Was closed for a while due to the USUAL maintenance and restoration. Opened back up early February.
DLP-monitoring situation and increasing sanitation efforts. Not in immediate danger of being closed. Still possible if numbers climb though.

Louvre is closed for staff meetings/negotiations with govt on how to keep staff/visitors safe. No cases of Covid-19 in Paris (yet). Unclear when will open but suspect it will with precautions, maybe with limited number of visitors daily??.
Indoor gatherings of >5000 people banned for now (and apparently kissing discouraged :) )

If you take out China numbers (where disease spread rapidly r/t poor initial management) then the rate of fatality is not much higher than Influenza for most countries -although transmission/infection rate is higher - for now at least, and may remain so. As people take more precautions and disrupt spread this may fall as well (hopefully anyway!!)

France overall is still level 2 travel advisory (as it has been).

Some perspective and background info:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.htmlThe Johns-Hopkins site for the charts is really helpful. Lists recovery numbers too.

Obviously if you fall into a higher risk category being safe and cautious is always advised. Not to make light of threat of Covid19 but there is a ton of misinformation and not COMPLETE information.

My daughter just spent 5 days in Seattle (flying in/out of Sea-tac), visiting University of Washington campus for grad school. The city where first death occurred. Neither of us are concerned she has it either. We always have hand sanitizer with us anyway.

Full information
ND-closed due to fire not virus
Eiffel tower- is OPEN! Was closed for a while due to the USUAL maintenance and restoration. Opened back up early February.
DLP-monitoring situation and increasing sanitation efforts. Not in immediate danger of being closed. Still possible if numbers climb though.

Louvre is closed for staff meetings/negotiations with govt on how to keep staff/visitors safe. No cases of Covid-19 in Paris (yet). Unclear when will open but suspect it will with precautions, maybe with limited number of visitors daily??.
Indoor gatherings of >5000 people banned for now (and apparently kissing discouraged :) )

If you take out China numbers (where disease spread rapidly r/t poor initial management) then the rate of fatality is not much higher than Influenza for most countries -although transmission/infection rate is higher - for now at least, and may remain so. As people take more precautions and disrupt spread this may fall as well (hopefully anyway!!)

France overall is still level 2 travel advisory (as it has been).

Some perspective and background info:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.htmlThe Johns-Hopkins site for the charts is really helpful. Lists recovery numbers too.

Obviously if you fall into a higher risk category being safe and cautious is always advised. Not to make light of threat of Covid19 but there is a ton of misinformation and not COMPLETE information.

My daughter just spent 5 days in Seattle (flying in/out of Sea-tac), visiting University of Washington campus for grad school. The city where first death occurred. Neither of us are concerned she has it either. We always have hand sanitizer with us anyway.

respectfully speaking , I stand behind what I’ve said -
Closed is closed is closed no matter what the reason .
Sorry but I’m out -

The Louvre is overcrowded anyway, and Paris has so much more to offer in museums and other things to do. From what I hear France is well prepared and in my opinion it is too early to cancel April trips. So for anyone who will get little to no refunds on what they have planned, you can just wait and see what happens. The situation changes per dag and then are 30+ days to go, there are many changes expected and it can also change for the better.

The Louvre is overcrowded anyway, and Paris has so much more to offer in museums and other things to do. From what I hear France is well prepared and in my opinion it is too early to cancel April trips. So for anyone who will get little to no refunds on what they have planned, you can just wait and see what happens. The situation changes per dag and then are 30+ days to go, there are many changes expected and it can also change for the better.
:)And I feel the same way you feel -
The problem is not with us nor the travel companies ....
To me,
It’s the various Vendors and or venues INSIDE the travel company that one booked the vacation through that are either closed , reduced hours or a variety of Other reasons , etc....

.....while the travel company sings good praises that the trip is still a “go”

Which leaves the traveler in a catch 22 situation ...:confused3
I mean I understand clearly having things cancel at the last second and or you are offered an alternative solution but to me this is beyond ridiculous!

Yes, I know that Gocollette.com (the Travel company I went through)
Spotlight on Paris - Collette

1)decided a few weeks back that due to all the uncertainty with the Eiffel Tower, they canceled that part of the trip and instead, offered a river Seine dinner cruise instead.

2)The threat of DL Paris hours being shortened of worse yet, park closure??

3) Notre Dame - its obviously is closed.

4) And now the Louvre?

- WTW -:crazy2:
(BTW, the running of the marathon March 1 also got canceled ......)
Moreover,
I bet theTour de France bicycle races (coming up in 90 days ) will be canceled as well....
This to me back up perfectly as to what I am saying, there too much uncertainty going on over in France... at what point does one say, "Enough is Enough?"

And what I listed above meant a lot for me to be able to see (#1,#2,#3 and #4)

i mean , I was even scheduled to go see Normandy and Champagne-
Also ....
I have paid quite a lot to go overseas and I’m not going to play a game of “cross your fingers “ and hope all is well when you touch down at Charles de Gaulle.
It’s to me , when I step off that plane , I’ve come to play .
And play I shall -
Thank gosh for trip insurance as yes - I got a full refund .
:goodvibesI will revisit France say in 3-4 years once this calms down as imo, I feel it’s 60% hysteria , 30% actual (like the common cold ) and 10% the uniformed ....
Again , just my .02 for all it’s worth ...
Yes, I am choosing to book a domestic USA vacation instead in anticipation of late this year and for next 12 months , I feel USA will revisit 2009 travel wise when nationally hotel occupancy fell on average 16%.... but this time , it won’t be the banking industry that will cause the downward trend in USA domestic travel ,,,, it will be because of that danged beer virus ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corona beer takes hit because of coronavirus outbreak
www.kiro7.com › news › trending › corona-beer-sales-taking-hit-becaus...

4 days ago - Corona beer reportedly taking hit due to coronavirus ... Overall the company's stock was down about 18%, The New York Times reported. ... said the survey is misinformation and that sales are still strong, USA Today reported.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above was also cut and pasted to show the silliness in all of this as yes, I agree with you Karin1984....
I just wish the Travel companies and local venues would agree with you and I as well -

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:drinking1

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!