Canadian Disney Gift Cards

So if I'm reading correctly I can purchase CDN Disney Giftcards and use them to pay off my Disney vacation that I've booked online directly with Disney?

Thank you
Yes you can! I did that for our trip last year and also for our trip next month. I couldn’t make the payments online though. I had to call because I have a room only reservation. It seems to be only the packages that can be paid online.

I booked a room only last month and have been able to use gift cards online. It's slightly more confusing though, because the option to use a gift card is BELOW the option to use a credit card (there is no drop down to change payment type), you have to keep scrolling. Fooled me two times in a row!
That’s very interesting! Was that for your initial payment at booking? I’m talking about making payments after the initial booking. I like to have my room paid for before I arrive so I make payments as I have the funds. I looked and looked and could never even find an online payment option, gift card or credit card after the initial payment. And when I called they told me room only could only be paid over the phone or at the resort.

That’s very interesting! Was that for your initial payment at booking? I’m talking about making payments after the initial booking. I like to have my room paid for before I arrive so I make payments as I have the funds. I looked and looked and could never even find an online payment option, gift card or credit card after the initial payment. And when I called they told me room only could only be paid over the phone or at the resort.
My bad. I booked online easily with gift cards. I have been making payments on my cruise online no problem after booking. I just tried to see if I could make a py, bit no luck. I guess I will have to call in to finalize payment for my room too.
Thanks for questioning me, I am learning new things every day 🙂

My bad. I booked online easily with gift cards. I have been making payments on my cruise online no problem after booking. I just tried to see if I could make a py, bit no luck. I guess I will have to call in to finalize payment for my room too.
Thanks for questioning me, I am learning new things every day 🙂
I was wondering how I could have missed it after scouring the website like a crazy person! We all learn as we go, that’s why these boards are so great! :)

You can use them to make payments online for a package (just did that myself a few minutes ago) but for a room only I believe you have to call in because the payment isn't due until you get there so I guess they assume no one wants to pay it off in advance. Never done a Disney cruise so can't comment :)

You can use them to make payments online for a package (just did that myself a few minutes ago) but for a room only I believe you have to call in because the payment isn't due until you get there so I guess they assume no one wants to pay it off in advance. Never done a Disney cruise so can't comment :)
Correct. I had no issues making online payments when I had a package booked. It was the room only reservations that required calling in to make payments prior to check in.

I got really excited about doing this and using my AirMiles at Metro every week to start collecting gift cards. I have almost 5000 AirMiles which would work out to be about $500 which I could use to "buy" the gift cards. I just realized that all my AM are Dream Miles and not Cash Miles. You also can't for whatever reason, transfer between the two programs! I've switched my profile over to Cash Miles but that's only going to be good for future collection. Luckily we do our grocers at Metro and I trip isn't until April so I'm sure between now and then I'll be able to get a little bit back, just wish I could tap into what I already have.

I got really excited about doing this and using my AirMiles at Metro every week to start collecting gift cards. I have almost 5000 AirMiles which would work out to be about $500 which I could use to "buy" the gift cards. I just realized that all my AM are Dream Miles and not Cash Miles. You also can't for whatever reason, transfer between the two programs! I've switched my profile over to Cash Miles but that's only going to be good for future collection. Luckily we do our grocers at Metro and I trip isn't until April so I'm sure between now and then I'll be able to get a little bit back, just wish I could tap into what I already have.

I agree, it’s sort of silly the way the program is split.

Could you put your dream miles towards another part of the trip? Park tickets? Rental car? New luggage?

I was thinking about maybe using towards one of the flights. I was planning on using WestJet Dollars to pay for the flights so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to book one of them separately through Airmiles.

I was thinking about maybe using towards one of the flights. I was planning on using WestJet Dollars to pay for the flights so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to book one of them separately through Airmiles.

I've used airmiles for one way flights a few times, depending on the flight it can be a good deal. I find I often have enough airmiles for one way but not a round trip. If you are Onyx you can also use the personal shopper to get tickets, park tickets or party tickets. I used some for MNSSHP tickets, I think you can also get the After Hours tickets if you are interested in doing that. For park tickets, if you want those that they don't normally have, like you want a 4 day park hopper, you could do that through the personal shopper. Or you can also look at buying through Redtag, as a package, but that would include flights so you wouldn't be able to use the westjet dollars. It would let you take money off the price of the package though. Any way, just some thoughts :)

This is very interesting to me, as we are taking our first trip in a very long time in November. We are staying offsite, and I have already paid for the CP Dinner we booked. If I bought gift cards would there be any benefit to me registering them online? I would be using them for MVMCP tickets and for meals in the parks or resorts. It sounds like the exchange is better online, so it might make sense to buy what I need to pay for the MVMCP tickets and save a little bit in exchange and service fees, vs paying with a credit card. I am also going to check out using the Personal Shopper services with Airmiles. I have Onyx status and I didn't know about this perk until I read it in another thread here.

This is very interesting to me, as we are taking our first trip in a very long time in November. We are staying offsite, and I have already paid for the CP Dinner we booked. If I bought gift cards would there be any benefit to me registering them online? I would be using them for MVMCP tickets and for meals in the parks or resorts. It sounds like the exchange is better online, so it might make sense to buy what I need to pay for the MVMCP tickets and save a little bit in exchange and service fees, vs paying with a credit card. I am also going to check out using the Personal Shopper services with Airmiles. I have Onyx status and I didn't know about this perk until I read it in another thread here.
There are 2 main reasons for registering them online - You can consolidate several smaller ones onto one card and then use it to pay off a larger item, such as a reservation or buying tickets, also means you don't need to carry several around with you at once. The main reason we would look at doing that is for security -- if you lose the card(s) you can go to your online account and pull the balance from the lost card(s) onto a different one! That would also allow you to carry less "money" on the card in your wallet/pocket/purse/whatever and just top it up as you need to with your "virtual balance" Make sense?

Regarding the exchange, there's no difference between registering them or not. For a short period of time you could transfer Canadian cards onto a master US card and the rate would be locked in. Now that's not possible and we're stuck with the previous banking day's closing exchange rate. Doesn't matter if it's online or on an actual card.

If I have a US$ Disney GC (from Disney Movie Rewards). Can I put US$ onto it from my US$ CC and the balance will remain in US$?

If I have a US$ Disney GC (from Disney Movie Rewards). Can I put US$ onto it from my US$ CC and the balance will remain in US$?
I did this but it was not the best experience. I had to actually purchase an e-gift card from their website using my US MC and once that was done I could apply it to the account and transfer it to the card I had.
The problem was they would not okay the purchase until I had contacted my cc company and had authorization done. It took days and a lot of effort. I would not bother doing it again. It may be different for you though. If you do try please report back. I would try a small amount first, say $25, before doing a big purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!