• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Canadian Buffoon's DISmeet vacation - 09/14 - Bowled Over

In Winter it goes down to the 50s!

You're talking above zero, right?

Yeah but it was 2 months ago now...I forget.

:laughing:
Can't wait to get back to my
road trip portion...
from a year ago.

I usually just let the meat speak for itself. About an hour beforehand I season it liberally with salt pepper and garlic powder. Then I put it on the flames of the grill uncovered for 5 minutes on each side. I always get the "untrimmed" cut, 1) cause it's usually $1 per pound cheaper and 2) fat is flavor. When the side with the fat on it is facing the flame you really want to watch it, as it may flare up and catch fire.
After each of the side have been seared, I move the meat to the upper rack on the grill, on the opposite side where the flames are burning. Turn down the heat and close the lid. I cook it for 15 minutes or when an instant read thermometer registers 120°F.
I remove it from the grill and place it in one large sheet of aluminum foil and cover it completely. Usually you need the super wide foil to do this. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting, but you can even go 15 or 20 minutes and it will still be hot.

Slice it across the grain like this:

Got it! Thanks!

Except....

I needed to grab it on the way home
from work today,
so I just grabbed the prepared one.
I figured I'd cook it up and see,
and then (if you posted it, which you did, thank you)
I'd try your recipe.

And.... I am not just a little annoyed.

I get home and place it on the counter
to bring it up to room temp.
Ruby says "Elle just called so
she and I are going out for dinner."

Great.
Now I'm wondering if it's worth
doing it for two people.

Okay, first gotta go to Costco.
Kay says "Grab me a hot dog?"

<sigh> Sure.
No idea now when I'll cook it.
The earliest is Tuesday.

I ate some lettuce with a bit of
ground beef and shredded cheddar,
a couple radishes and some strawberries.

and some str
I'm sure you can. I could even hear you saying it.

;)

Got it! Thanks!

Except....

I needed to grab it on the way home
from work today,
so I just grabbed the prepared one.
I figured I'd cook it up and see,
and then (if you posted it, which you did, thank you)
I'd try your recipe.

And.... I am not just a little annoyed.

I get home and place it on the counter
to bring it up to room temp.
Ruby says "Elle just called so
she and I are going out for dinner."

Great.
Now I'm wondering if it's worth
doing it for two people.

Well we always make it for two people (unless we're having a party which is rare). But I plan for several meals after. French Dips, regular sandwiches, sometimes I freeze it for later.

Okay, first gotta go to Costco.
Kay says "Grab me a hot dog?"

<sigh> Sure.
No idea now when I'll cook it.
The earliest is Tuesday.

Well it will be well marinated.....

I ate some lettuce with a bit of
ground beef and shredded cheddar,
a couple radishes and some strawberries.

and some str

That sounds. . Unsatisfying.

Well we always make it for two people (unless we're having a party which is rare). But I plan for several meals after. French Dips, regular sandwiches, sometimes I freeze it for later.

I wanted everyone to taste it
fresh off the grill (after resting).
It will taste differently after.

Well it will be well marinated.....

yep.

That sounds. . Unsatisfying.

Yeah...
I had waited all day for
that tri-tip.
Had skipped lunch.

Yay me.

I wanted everyone to taste it
fresh off the grill (after resting).
It will taste differently after.

You are right. It is the best right off the grill after slicing!

You may want to try it again without the rub. I'm assuming they do a Santa Maria style rub which I've had when it's been prepared for me (at various festivals and events) but I do like it best plain and simple as I described.

Yeah...
I had waited all day for
that tri-tip.
Had skipped lunch.

Yay me.

:sad2:

Not that Fran will change much (other than deciding we have a huge lunch at 3PM) but I usually tell her the dinner plan when we wake up in the morning so she won't thwart it. That doesn't guarantee anything as she still manages to mess it up sometimes, but if it's a dinner she particularly likes she'll make an effort to not derail it.

You are right. It is the best right off the grill after slicing!

I think most meats are?
Can't think of one that isn't...

Some things are better the next day
(think lasagne)
but that's the exception
rather than the rule I'd think.

You may want to try it again without the rub. I'm assuming they do a Santa Maria style rub which I've had when it's been prepared for me (at various festivals and events) but I do like it best plain and simple as I described.

It's not a rub.
It's a BBQ sauce.

But regardless,
I do want to try it your way next time.

Not that Fran will change much (other than deciding we have a huge lunch at 3PM) but I usually tell her the dinner plan when we wake up in the morning so she won't thwart it. That doesn't guarantee anything as she still manages to mess it up sometimes, but if it's a dinner she particularly likes she'll make an effort to not derail it.

Maybe that's where I went wrong.
If I'd told them I was doing that...

Nah. Probably still have the same
result since they wouldn't know
what a tri-tip is.

Heck I didn't know what it was
until fairly recently!

I think most meats are?
Can't think of one that isn't...

Yes most roast meats are....

Some things are better the next day
(think lasagne)
but that's the exception
rather than the rule I'd think

But spaghetti sauce, stew, soups, Chili, my BBQ Beef/Pork that I'll be making for my pool party next month those are better the next day.

It's not a rub.
It's a BBQ sauce.

But regardless,
I do want to try it your way next time.

Huh. That's interesting. I googled and found this recipe similar to what I do. I must have searched this when I started to cook it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/santa_maria_style_tri_tip/amp/

After reading that recipe, I tightly tent the roast as you saw in my picture. It keeps it warm and since I pull it at rare, it allows it to get a little more cooked for the folks who dont care for it still mooing.

Maybe that's where I went wrong.
If I'd told them I was doing that...

Nah. Probably still have the same
result since they wouldn't know
what a tri-tip is.

Heck I didn't know what it was
until fairly recently!

Maybe if you said, "Hey I'm gonna make a big California style grill tonight!" Dont call it BBQ the Texans and Midwesterners will crucify you. I learned grilling is NOT BBQ!

Last edited:
Huh! I never thought of that.
I always look for the branding.
Two things...
1) non-Harley does not = crotch rocket. There are many (my favorite Gold Wing) that is not a Harley and most definitely not a crotch rocket.
2) V twin engine doesn't mean it's a Harley either...there are many non-Harley V twins out there.

I have no idea why not! :confused3
I think I've made them accidentally. I mean, they're just pancakes with too much milk in the batter, right?

I'm sorry.
What were we talking about?
Huh? What? We were talking about something? Does that mean I have to wake up now?

Thanks!
Question. I don't know if we carry
Key Lime Juice.
Can I just juice some limes?
Or is it a more sugary juice,
like a store bought OJ?
Key limes and limes you'd find in the store are not the same. You'll want key lime juice. I get Nellie & Joe's key lime juice. The recipe on the bottle is different than Mark's and (sorry Mark) is what key lime pie in the keys tastes like. I'm a bit of a key lime pie snob...I've been to many places where the server says their key lime pie is good, but one bite in I send it back. Since I've had the real deal many times in the keys, often times it's not the right combination of sweet & tart. If you can find key limes, you could juice them, but it will take a lot of them and quite a while...they're about the size of a golf ball.

Oh, I dunno.
The chicken and waffles were good.
No, just no.
Chicken is not for breakfast. Lunch or dinner, but not breakfast unless it's in egg form.

Um, maybe not. Think I left my glasses in the other room.

Thanks! and....

Holy crap!!!!
$52.56 for two bottles????

Regular lime it is! :scared:
I'm not sure where you found it for THAT price. It shouldn't be that expensive. Check Amazon. I found it for $10.40 for two bottles. That's more like it. If push comes to shove, since you've never claimed your prize from my TR, I'd be more than happy to send some to your MN PO box. Just let me know and it'll be on its way. Regular lime will NOT taste right...trust me...my SIL tried doing that and no, just no.

But spaghetti sauce, stew, soups, Chili, my BBQ Beef/Pork that I'll be making for my pool party next month those are better the next day.

Yep. I get all those, except....
your beef/pork...
Is that a pulled beef/pork?

Huh. That's interesting. I googled and found this recipe similar to what I do. I must have searched this when I started to cook it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/santa_maria_style_tri_tip/amp/

After reading that recipe, I tightly tent the roast as you saw in my picture. It keeps it warm and since I pull it at rare, it allows it to get a little more cooked for the folks who dont care for it still mooing.

I'm more towards rare-medium rare.
Kay is more towards blue rare.
Ruby is more towards medium rare-medium.
Makes it a bit problematic when cooking
one piece of meat.
At least one person isn't rare
and the other well done.

Maybe if you said, "Hey I'm gonna make a big California style grill tonight!" Dont call it BBQ the Texans and Midwesterners will crucify you. I learned grilling is NOT BBQ!

I'll call it BBQ up here.
No one calls it "grill" unless you say
"I'm going to have a BBQ tonight.
Gonna throw some burgers on the grill."

But... I do know the difference. ;)

P1040416_zpsi47ioabd.jpg

I wonder how many of you
will understand that reference?

You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

That reference?

so e make an a sound and i makes an e sound. Is i eye? ;) :magnify:

Hmm... interesting. I speak French and the sounds are the same.
So, @MeghanEmily ?

Yep, Spanish would be a good example of a language that mostly uses those vowel symbols similar to the way they actually sound in IPA. French fits fairly well, too. And Italian. English uses a lot of dipthongs, i.e. vowel-like sounds that are actually made up of two vowels gliding together. If you say "I" (or "eye") very slowly, you'll notice you're really saying ahhh-eeeee. Hence, no single phonetic symbol for that one. It has to use a combo of two of the "letters." Fun times.

Wait, are you sure you're not at a Disney store? $25.99 a pound???

Again, $28.00 a pound? I'm convinced you're at Disney.

Why yes... I'd had one just the day before.
So what?
I like clam chowder,
and this one was really good too.
Better than yesterday's
and that one was good too!

After finishing up my chowder,
I wandered around some more.
I stopped to watch this machine
mix peanut butter.
I don't know if it was actually making
the peanut butter or if it was just for show.
In any event, the young lady pictured below
offered me a taste.

Holy crap.
That stuff was amazing!

I bought a jar.
My only regret is I didn't buy more.

P1040466_zpsyzjqlnzj.jpg

Not a clam chowder fan, but...
Mmmmm, peanut butter. Might have to see if Alison can get some and send it to me. It might be worth the Disney prices and shipping cost if it's THAT good.

I was winding down when I passed
this booth:

P1040479_zpsj7nuh2gy.jpg

Rows of differently filled empanadas.
You know... I've never actually had one...

P1040480_zps3mmatphq.jpg

I got a "Cuban".
(oven roasted pork, mustard, ham,
provolone cheese and pickles)
It was very tasty. :)
I'm pretty sure I've had them, but wow that sounds good!

By now it was time to hit the road.
What did the road do to you? Act like a bully often?

I didn't want to get mired in LA's rush hour traffic.
Pretty sure the only way to avoid that is not drive there at all. ;)

Of course I forgot that LA's rush hour traffic
starts around 4am and ends about... 4am.

Okay, it wasn't that bad.
Nope, not quite. Close..It starts at 4am and ends at 3:58am.

Either way, I took a grand total of....

One photo of DTD.

It's okay, any DTD pictures are cool. Any DS pictures are an abomination. ;)

There was fried chicken!
There was catfish!
There was jambalaya!
There was Bacon wrapped BBQ Meatloaf!

And I ordered a wedge salad!!!

Wait! You had the option for Bacon wrapped BBQ meatloaf and you got a wedge salad. That's it! We need to take your Disdad card!

We’re good. I have hand surgery scheduled for July so we wanted to get in a quick vacation bfore that. Since our AP’s still have a few months on them, and our flights are paid for with points, Disney seemed the obvious choice. (I wanted to drive to a B&B in Bar Harbor but the free flights over the skyrocketing price of gas swayed me.)
Free vs. expensive gas...tough call. ;)

There was a reality show a few years ago following the crew on an aircraft carrier. It was fabulous. They did show the planes trying to land in rough seas which was totally nerve-wracking to watch. It could take many many tries and there was the spectre of running out of gas to deal with as well. Anybody else see it?
[/quote[
It was truly a reality show (unlike so many they call reality TV). It was a PBS documentary called carrier. It's on amazon prime. You don't need AP though...if you do a search on youtube for "pitching deck landing", you should find it.

1) non-Harley does not = crotch rocket. There are many (my favorite Gold Wing) that is not a Harley and most definitely not a crotch rocket.

Oh, I know.
Indian makes what I think of
as very "Harley" like bikes too.
I considered a Honda
before I went Harley, actually.

2) V twin engine doesn't mean it's a Harley either...there are many non-Harley V twins out there.

I'm not that good.
I just look to see if the bike
says "Harley Davidson"
somewhere on it.

I think I've made them accidentally. I mean, they're just pancakes with too much milk in the batter, right?

No idea.
Never looked at
a recipe.
Maybe? :confused3

Huh? What? We were talking about something? Does that mean I have to wake up now?

Nope.
Nothing to see here.
Go back to bed.

Key limes and limes you'd find in the store are not the same. You'll want key lime juice. I get Nellie & Joe's key lime juice. The recipe on the bottle is different than Mark's and (sorry Mark) is what key lime pie in the keys tastes like. I'm a bit of a key lime pie snob...I've been to many places where the server says their key lime pie is good, but one bite in I send it back. Since I've had the real deal many times in the keys, often times it's not the right combination of sweet & tart. If you can find key limes, you could juice them, but it will take a lot of them and quite a while...they're about the size of a golf ball.

So there's a recipe right on the bottle.
Okay, I'll check that out.

No, just no.
Chicken is not for breakfast. Lunch or dinner, but not breakfast unless it's in egg form.

This wasn't breakfast.
It was dinner.
Unless you're now gonna say
"Waffles is not for dinner."

Waffles are good any time.

I'm not sure where you found it for THAT price. It shouldn't be that expensive. Check Amazon.

That's where I found it.
But I just looked and
now they have one bottle
(that was the price for two)
for $11.58 CDN.

I found it for $10.40 for two bottles. That's more like it.

Still cheaper, but...
at least it's a bit more
reasonable now.

If push comes to shove, since you've never claimed your prize from my TR, I'd be more than happy to send some to your MN PO box. Just let me know and it'll be on its way. Regular lime will NOT taste right...trust me...my SIL tried doing that and no, just no.

I've never claimed my prize
because I didn't think it
was fair to you to ship
to Canada.
I have no idea when I might
head down to Pembina again.

You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

That reference?

::yes::

Yep, Spanish would be a good example of a language that mostly uses those vowel symbols similar to the way they actually sound in IPA. French fits fairly well, too. And Italian. English uses a lot of dipthongs, i.e. vowel-like sounds that are actually made up of two vowels gliding together. If you say "I" (or "eye") very slowly, you'll notice you're really saying ahhh-eeeee. Hence, no single phonetic symbol for that one. It has to use a combo of two of the "letters." Fun times.
I sounded out "I" and...

Well, I'll be darned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter