Can you bring a butter knife into the parks?

BriannaRuth

DIS Veteran
Asking because last time DD got a caramel apple, she wanted to cut it once we got to Hungry Bear but all they had were plastic knives, which broke as soon as we tried. They couldn't cut it for us due to health regulations. Thinking about bringing my own knife. Only thing is, even if they do allow them, I'm afraid it might cause a slowdown at bag check while they try to figure it out.

Maybe we could just borrow one from a FS restaurant.

I'd say, it's probably not allowed, but it might get through. I'd seen pocket knives and small non-collapsible knives being used for things like getting plastic wrappers by guests. As recently as late January I saw a guest using a knife on a bench in DCA, so post-metal detectors. I've also seen people stopped at security for small safety scissors, and once they stopped someone who was clipping their nails in line.

I think if you hold the knife near the serrated edge and not the handle it will probably cut the apple. It might require 2-3 knives to cut the whole thing. If you cut it with the knife before you left the hotel, wouldn't it probably survive a walk to Hungry Bear?

I also think that technically it wouldn't allowed. I would think that at a minimum, if it's found, the CM will call over other CMs to discuss it, then they'll have to call in a Lead to make a decision, so you'll be looking at an extra amount of time at the security check point.

Does it have to be the Hungry Bear? Some of the CS locations do have silverware (e.g., Plaza Inn, French Market, Rancho del Zocalo, etc.) including knives. You could cut the apple at one of those places, then you wouldn't have to deal with carrying around the knife for the rest of the day.

This begged the question......WHYYYYY?
I have to say, I've never seen such a specific question on here. Well, maybe the thread asking how much tax was on a churro so they could plan their budget.

I think wherever you buy the apple, they'll cut it for you.
Have fun on your trip, don't sweat the small stuff!!!

Every time I've bought an apple in the park, they would not cut it for me. Even if eating there. I bring mine back to the hotel now and eat them there, where I have a knife I bring from home for exactly that purpose.

I think they used to slice the apples for you at the time of purchase, but they are no longer allowed to do that. I read another post from someone who said his knife (brought specifically for slicing caramel apples, so it was sharp enough for that but not dangerously sharp) was confiscated at security. I agree that the best best would be to take the apple to the nearest CS location that has real silverware, e.g. RDZ or Plaza Inn, and slice it there. If the apples are purchased at Marceline's, just have a knife in your hotel room ready for the purpose.

We had read a tip to get the apple sliced at purchase. But when we went two years ago we were also told they were not allowed to cut them. I like the idea of going to Rancho and using their knives.

Have fun!

Why not bring an apple cutter?

I hadn't thought about that! It would probably be easier to get through security. But I think an apple cutter would pretty much decimate the decorations on the apples.

I think I'll just borrow a knife from a TS restaurant at lunch. :)

This begged the question......WHYYYYY?
I have to say, I've never seen such a specific question on here. Well, maybe the thread asking how much tax was on a churro so they could plan their budget.

I think wherever you buy the apple, they'll cut it for you.
Have fun on your trip, don't sweat the small stuff!!!

Like the others said ... they wouldn't cut it when we purchased it, nor would they cut it next door at the Hungry Bear with their knives. And it's not small stuff when your kid with braces can't eat the $12 apple you just bought because she can't bite into it. And it wasn't going in my fanny pack! :)

an apple cutter probably wouldn't even fit over most of those Disneyland apples. And technically since an apple cutter has a sharp edge and acts as a knife, I could see security confiscating it before you entered the parks.

Bring a pocket knife with you in your luggage, but leave it at your hotel. If you want to eat the apple, eat it at your hotel or wait to cut it when you're at a TS restaurant.

No you can't bring a pocket knife in. My nephew had one that he carries that they saw and he had to take it back to his room

I was told they can't cut it for you, due to health regulations.
I asked about apple cutting at one of the apple counters last Sunday. I was told they'll no longer do it for you. Again, though, many restaurants such as Rancho del Zocalo have metal knives so you can cut it yourself. :-).

Like the others said ... they wouldn't cut it when we purchased it, nor would they cut it next door at the Hungry Bear with their knives. And it's not small stuff when your kid with braces can't eat the $12 apple you just bought because she can't bite into it. And it wasn't going in my fanny pack! :)

Ah, you didn't mention that you asked at the store where you bought it.

I had braces in the 80s and caramel was strictly forbidden. The other poster had a more recent story of caramel being forbidden. All the teens I know now say it's forbidden. Doesn't matter if you're biting into the full apple or a slice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter