Can someone please answer some questions about Foodstamps for me?

OP - if your friend is looking for work, it was reported in the news that Target will be hiring 6,000+ workers for their stores across the U.S.

Retail doesn't pay big, but it should keep your friend off the public rolls.

OP - if your friend is looking for work, it was reported in the news that Target will be hiring 6,000+ workers for their stores across the U.S.

Retail doesn't pay big, but it should keep your friend off the public rolls.

I will let her know! There is a Target in her town. Of course, her down is also losing it's major employer right now, so there will probably be 50 applicants for every job:guilty:

I will let her know! There is a Target in her town. Of course, her down is also losing it's major employer right now, so there will probably be 50 applicants for every job:guilty:

Does she coupon? Maybe post the name of your local grocery stores and someone could post the link to sites to help match up deals for that specific store.

We had to use food stamps last year. We had a number of things go wrong, leaky roof, lees hours at work, X-husband lost his job and had no child support coming in...

Whatever the reason...it wasn't easy to get food stamps. I needed all kinds of ID for everyone in the household. Paystubs for the past 2 years not 2 months. Incometax returns they didn't want to see. (everyone lies on their taxes...I was told) SS#s for everyone in household. Proof children were enrolled in school and had health insurance. I also needed...Bank statements, household bills, divorce agreement, rental agreement and probably a thousand other things.

After all this trouble, we were given $129 a month for 6 months for a family of 5. (Two of them being autistic and on a special diet) It really helped us get back on our feet and I am grateful for every penny.

In our state, they count every asset you have, including the value of your car. It was much more complicated than showing 2 paystubs.

We were unable to get food stamps when Dh was unemployed because of assets alone.

Hope you friend can get some help. The local food bank might be a good option for her.

Every state is a little different but she should bring all of these in case.

As many pay stubs as she has
Her most recent utility bills
Proof of residency and the most recent rent payment proof
Most recent bank statement
ID, Soc, and Birth Certificate for everyone in the home
Proof of any children being in school
Something to show any and every source of income... this is really important if they see that income is 500 and outgoing bills are like 1200. They will ask how you are paying those bills and either the answer is you're not, or you need proof of how you are paying them.
Marriage, divorce, and custody papers if needed

And you still may not have everything they want. They will most likely give her a list of anything else she needs and an envelope to send it back in. Tell her to take them in instead. Things get lost in the mail and if you hand it to them they give you a receipt as proof you brought the stuff in.

For food call the Salvation Army or United Way and they can give you the names of a couple nearby food pantries. Make sure you ask exactly what each pantry wants you to bring and what days and times they're open.

:confused3 Never understood it either. hindsight is 20/20 but if a person has no food today, being told what they "should' have done is pretty useless. ah well.

Op, guidelines vary by state. have her start all the processes at the same time. In NJ unless you are homeless and destitute its a bit harder to get what is called emergency immediate aide. Also NJ & PA have the food bank of NJ which provides some assistance.

Good luck and thanks for helping her out.

There are two reason this IS helpful. The first is that a person who might be looking into a job like this needs to realize there will be lean times and they SHOULD DO X. The second is that is prevents her from being in this same position next year. A big problem is many do the same thing year after year and expect the results to be different.

She is trying to fix the problem by getting a second job, not sure how soon she started looking, and that is a good thing.

A suggestion for your friend.....check into the local/county school system...to maybe become a substitute teacher.

Our county requires a certification from a class at the local community college(I had a garage sale last yr to raise the $125 for class).

The class took 10 weeks (3hrs one day a week)....which felt like forever, but at the end I was able to sub-teach and the daily pay is pretty good. Of course I had to find a second job for income during the summer.

I will continue to work two jobs forever.....if I can. As we have yet to recover from DH's job elimination over 2 yrs ago.

Good luck to your friend.

(maybe just putting the word out that she needs some help....a $20 grocery store gift card would make my week....I'd stretch it to feed all 7 of us if I had to....and I've had to)

She can't figure out how to apply for help and you want get teaching school??? Are you kidding?

Eta: I mean subbing, not preschool.

Sorry for your teacher friend's predicament. I wouldn't presume to judge her circumstance, things are very tough and you never know who it may affect...could be the person next door. What about her/your church. I like the trade off idea. Yard work, house work, mother's helper in exchange for groceries, grocery card. Good idea.

There might be a way to apply on-line also to get things started. I know here you can apply on-line and then a couple of days later someone from that department calls and then also mails you a list of what else is needed or copies of what items like paychecks are to be mailed or brought in.

I know it varies from state to state on the procedures though. ALso on-line they might have a calculator that will give an approx. amount that she would receive.

I vote with the food bank for immediate relief; and that you should go online and see if your state has the requirements posted.

Also, if she decides to try the food bank, she needs to call ahead; some want appointments especially for first visits; also, many work thru' various grants and assistance programs or have internal governing bodies that require that people meet eligibility standarrds; a volunteer at the food bank can tell her what she will need to bring.

Kind of rude and the sentence made no sense anyway.

Liz

Lol, the grammar police come out.

Someone suggested this person substituting in the schools. She can't figure out how to look up this information or to call about it? Ludicrous. (sorry that isn't a full sentence...I'm sure you can figure it out...)

Lol, the grammar police come out.

Someone suggested this person substituting in the schools. She can't figure out how to look up this information or to call about it? Ludicrous. (sorry that isn't a full sentence...I'm sure you can figure it out...)

She may need some support to take the step towards getting help.

I am so glad to see that the original poster is there to help her. Thanks to LOVEBWVVBR for being caring and human. It is so easy for others to turn their back or to be critics.

GinnyEmma - I am so sorry for you. You lack compassion - or at least you give that impression in your posting. Perhaps it will come to you in time. Or - is this kind of posting what one might call internet bullying?

I would also look into local food banks and soup kitchens. Even if she gets the food stamps, she could possibly get something from the local food bank until the food stamps come in.

She can't figure out how to apply for help and you want get teaching school??? Are you kidding?

Eta: I mean subbing, not preschool.

You know, a lot of times it's not that people don't know how to apply, but they don't want to. They feel ashamed (which they shouldn't) or believe it or not, they always feel that someone else may be less fortunate or need the help more than they do.

For Immediate help go to Salvation Army and/ or St Vincent De Paul or Catholic Charities Services they should help. This economy has hit many many people in the pocket book! And don't count on nursing as being bulletproof any more, it's not!!

I live on a tiny fixed income. It was good for making rent and electric. Until now! This year rents, even with leases, are soaring as more and more former homeowner are entering the rental pool! Driving up the rents, My rent went up $107.00. So. I feel for this Woman!!

And the unemployment rates are the highest in the nation here.

We have to move in to a bigger Rental house with a willing relative who offered to live there and help pay 1/2 the rent and utilities. It is a godsend!!

There have been times we go hungry and we have no gasoline for the car. It isn't fun. In May I lost 16 lbs. My church stepped in and has helped us out a couple of times. For which I am very grateful.

Did you know that Food Stamps will not pay for any kind of bathroom paper product??

I don't know how or why the Tree Council didn't put their two cents in and lobby for citizens dignity, but they didn't. And with the demise of Wards and Sears Wish book catalogs there arent any alternatives.

I have been trying to sell some items. But no one has any extra money to buy anything!!

hmmm and just so there are no flames... I'm wifi-ing off the apt free hot spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter