Can someone explain a "ding"?

barefootMom

Mouseketeer
I know I downloaded something off of Southwest's site a while ago that I thought was called "ding" but it just is an icon that sits on my desktop that I think gives me a shortcut to the southwest.com normal site. What am I missing? How do you see the "ding" and are they daily or what is the scoop? I am not going until Jan. but want to be prepared. When would a "ding" come out for Jan.? or has it already? I'm looking for Manchester, NH to orlando. Can anyone educate me?
THANKS!

when there is a ding there is a mark on the icon on your desktop right now there is one from manchester to tampa for $39

barefootMom said:
I know I downloaded something off of Southwest's site a while ago that I thought was called "ding" but it just is an icon that sits on my desktop that I think gives me a shortcut to the southwest.com normal site. What am I missing? How do you see the "ding" and are they daily or what is the scoop? I am not going until Jan. but want to be prepared. When would a "ding" come out for Jan.? or has it already? I'm looking for Manchester, NH to orlando. Can anyone educate me?
THANKS!

You should see a little SWA airplane tail in your system tray (the little bar in the lower right corner). When a Ding is available, a little envelope will appear there. If you have Ding installed, it will appear in your list of programs -- look and make sure that you do have it installed. I don't have a SWA icon on my desktop (I can't remember if that was an option -- probably, but I prefer as few icons as possible, so I usually say "no" to those).

Also, if you have the little tail symbol, click on it and look for "update registration" in the upper right corner of the window that pops up. This will let you choose the airports you are interested in.

When you do get a ding (the envelope on the SW tail icon), click on it and it will give you a message. Click on the message and it will give you a list of special fares for the airports you registered for. Right now most offers are for September. :sunny:

Some of the specials I have seen are for $79+. Is this where the $39 fares will also be? Just want to make sure I'm looking in the right place.

Also, it seems like there's a range of dates. So then, do you just go in and play around with the dates to see what you could find? Is the "Internet fare" what is considered to be the lowest fare?

Thanks.

Thank you! Now I know how to see the ding thing! How often do dings come out and are they first thing in the morning or would I have to keep checking several times a day to see if they will come out with one for Jan.?

They come out every now and then at differant times of the day usualy for the next month but sometimes 2 month's (there is one right now that is good till the end of october )but it is to Houston so keep looking if you want to fly in january you will probualy have to wait till november or even December

just make sure to connect thru the ding when you get one you want. they won't show on a regular southwest window.

jackdis said:
Some of the specials I have seen are for $79+. Is this where the $39 fares will also be? Just want to make sure I'm looking in the right place.

To get a Ding fare, you have to have "Ding" downloaded onto your computer. :thumbsup2 You will see it on Southwest's website. Once you have it installed on your computer, there will be an icon of a Southwest tail on your toolbar. When you get a ding, an envelope will appear on the tail. Then you click on the wing and a message will come up telling you there is a ding, and they are usually only available for several hours, so you have to act quickly :dance3: . Once you open the message, you click on the message and it will take you to a page that lists the cities you have registered for and what the ding rates are. Then you click on the ding you want and it will take you to SW's site and the ding fare will be listed with all of the other fares for the flight you chose. It will be cheaper than the internet fare :goodvibes . If you just go directly to Southwest's website, the ding fares will not be listed. You have to have it installed on your computer to be eligible for the deals. Hope this makes sense. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter