Can my analytical people help me out on the value of my prospective DVC purchase.

I have never seen it to show any dollar value but given the rock I feel lifted off me after any vacation Disney or otherwise

Well, if that's your standard, most vacations are cheaper than any Disney vacation. I could have gone to Europe for the cost of my last one.

Well, if that's your standard, most vacations are cheaper than any Disney vacation. I could have gone to Europe for the cost of my last one.

Maybe you missed the word "otherwise" vacations cost money if you feel Disney is too expensive don't buy in and don't go. The costs at Disney are high think park tickets, food, beverage and merchandise not just buying DVC.

The variables are going to be subjective.......how much risk are you willing to take - there will be a lot of members out points (and therefore value) over Covid - us included. Even prior to Covid, there was always risk - DVC cancellation policies are far more restrictive than cash, Covid drove home how little control you have. The other variable is that DVC WILL change your behavior. You think you will save money, but DVC wasn't designed by Disney so that its customers would spend LESS with the Mouse. You'll find yourself deciding to add on a small contract you can use at WDW. You'll find studios are nice, but that one bedroom is so much nicer. You'll take friends. Without a room bill, you'll find yourself spending more on dinner, experiences or souvenirs. You'll think that Hilton Head or Aulani look like a place you really want to get to. I think many, perhaps most, of us admit that DVC hasn't REALLY saved us a dime. It has, however, allowed us to bring family and friends, put the kids in a different room so we could enjoy some adult vacation time, travel to our favorite place more often, etc. If saving money is the most important thing, don't buy....buy because you think DVC (and understand the restrictions of DVC and the differences between a cash room and DVC) fits your family and you'll get more value for the dollars you do spend.
I think this was worded perfectly. Very few people actually save money with DVC (ie were going to book hotel rooms at a resort and instead bought DVC and always booked studios at that same resort). A lot of people bought in with that mind set, realized we really liked the program and then messed up and stayed in a one bedroom or a two bedroom with family and off we go.
But we have had so many trips we would not have paid cash out of pocket for. Taken big family trips in a BLT grand villa that would have been 12k out of pocket. We never would have done that cash, but move some points around and boom memories for a lifetime. We have gone to Aulani three times and brought our family with us and enjoyed every minute of it. If you enjoy Disney and think you are going to go for the next 10 years or so it’s a great program. If you are a super budget shopper and you would consider staying at offsite hotels etc to save money DVC is not going to be the best value for you.

By the way, its for the reasons I stated - risk and the behavior changes resulting in most people not actually saving money - plus that the variables you use (what is your assumed interest rate for time value of money, what is your assumed rate of inflation for dues and hotel costs?) multiplied out over decades can make minor differences in your numbers turn into pretty major "savings" and "costs" - means that I don't think these sorts of calculations should be used for decision making. They should be used for finance/numbers/analysis geeks to have fun with (I'm a finance and analysis geek, these conversations can be fun - but they are also dangerous, because a lot of people don't understand the underlying fundamentals and how much we can make assumptions bend the conclusions to our will....so for those reading along, they can be misled into thinking DVC has more financial benefit than they are likely to get.....not a problem if you don't need to make the numbers work.....a huge problem if you are trying to fit DVC into a tight budget.)

So what defines value for you?

A) Is it totally on the cost with possible future gain
or is it
B) Memories, good times and happiness

I only ask because I can't put a value on happiness and I always question the cost and money driven reasons for vacationing. To be honest given how expensive it can be to go to any Disney resort I have never seen it to show any dollar value but given the rock I feel lifted off me after any vacation Disney or otherwise that's all the value I need.

My main driver is to save money while making good memories.
We have gone every year for the same 5 days the last 10 years.

We are creatures of habit and we want to make sure we continue.
DVC is my chance to make this happen for me, the fam, and possibly my grand kids.

My main driver is to save money while making good memories.
We have gone every year for the same 5 days the last 10 years.

We are creatures of habit and we want to make sure we continue.
DVC is my chance to make this happen for me, the fam, and possibly my grand kids.

Your going to find it hard to save money. Most people don't travel yearly or every other year to Disney simply because of the end costs. Owning DVC will drive you to use it most likely every year which brings all the added costs that come with it. As others said it could drive you to buying even more points addonitis as they say which you never planned for.

So will it save you money if you go every year ? Maybe, depends on you lifestyle.

Would you save money if you didn't buy DVC? Maybe, especially if your travel plans have never allowed for annual Disney trips because of cost.

I am not going to persuade you, like others, about how to save money with cheaper resorts or lower maintenance fees. What I will say if your buying to have a place you can enjoy and share with your family for memories alone then you have bought yourself something priceless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter