Can I use my own points for a rental reservation?

doodlebugstudio

Earning My Ears
When I booked our reservation for November 26th - November 30th, I used the max points I could at the time. Now that we can use all of our borrowed points, I’m trying to get a reservation for November 30th - December 4th.

Is it possible to rent a reservation using my own points? I know they are usually for paying for the reservation and the points associated with that reservation.

Was happy when DVC finally allowed us to use all of our points, but it’s hard finding a reservation now.

Thank you for guidance on how to navigate this issue.

There is no way for DVC to transfer a reservation from one membership to another one, so there is no way for you to use your own points if you find a confirmed reservation, unless that owner wanted to take payment as a transfer of your points to them.,,but I assume most want cash.

Any of the confirmed reservations you might see on a broker's site would almost certainly require you to pay in cash.

There is no way for DVC to transfer a reservation from one membership to another one, so there is no way for you to use your own points if you find a confirmed reservation, unless that owner wanted to take payment as a transfer of your points to them.,,but I assume most want cash.

Any of the confirmed reservations you might see on a broker's site would almost certainly require you to pay in cash.

Thank you for the response and info. 🙂

All true, but there is an interesting idea there.
Many brokers have waitlists for points, so why not rent confirmed reservations for points? They might advertise confirmed reservations as "$1,600 or 100 points". Logistics might be a bit of a nightmare, since it's not easy to transfer points multiple times (they'd need many contracts) but if a broker could find a way to make it work it would be advantageous. They'd get "fresh" points in exchange for a confirmed reservation which often means distressed point.

All true, but there is an interesting idea there.
Many brokers have waitlists for points, so why not rent confirmed reservations for points? They might advertise confirmed reservations as "$1,600 or 100 points". Logistics might be a bit of a nightmare, since it's not easy to transfer points multiple times (they'd need many contracts) but if a broker could find a way to make it work it would be advantageous. They'd get "fresh" points in exchange for a confirmed reservation which often means distressed point.

Owners can do that though now by simply offering points to the broker and then using the proceeds to rent a confirmed reservation.

The bigger problem is what would stop an owner from not following through or canceling the reservation booked with their points after going on the confirmed trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter