"Can I see your pins?" 12 Days of Disney Fun: Oct. 2011 3/13 It's the end.

I've been wondering how you've been! Sounds like you've been super busy! I can't believe you have 7 parties to go to in such a short period of time. That is crazy!

Not quite as busy as you with 7 parties but still very busy with the holidays! I got an update done on my TR yesterday but I'm behind on most of my subscriptions. Hope you have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

We had a great Christmas and we are looking forward to a quiet NYE. :)

I've been wondering how you've been! Sounds like you've been super busy! I can't believe you have 7 parties to go to in such a short period of time. That is crazy!

We were soooo busy this past weekend. Now we can get back on a schedule. :)

Okay, I’m back with another update! We’ve been home over 2 months and I still have A LOT more to share with you! I hope everyone’s Christmas was wonderful! We spent lots of time with family and ate SO MUCH yummy food. I even got a Mickey necklace from my DMIL and DFIL! It is an outline of Mickey’s head and has pale colored gems all around it. I love it! I also was able to add Dumbo, Lion King and Finding Nemo to our Disney DVD collection! Anyway…

Sunday, October 2 (Cont.):
*Title of TR explained in this post.*

(Sorry there aren’t very many pictures in this update.)

When I last left off we were heading out of Universal. The plan was to head to a Disney outlet store before going to DTD for dinner and more shopping. That WAS the plan. It did not work out that way at all. Greg and I had an awful time with the GPS. It said the address for the outlet mall we wanted to go to didn’t exist and I THOUGHT I found the outlet mall by searching on the GPS but it wasn’t right. We drove in so many different directions, I was getting very upset and poor DH was having to deal with my stress and driving in an unfamiliar area. We eventually made it to the outlet mall only it wasn’t the outlet mall that we had gone to last time. This store was not as good. I still managed to find a few things, however. It wasn’t a complete dud. That entire situation just put a really big damper on our mood.

At this point we decided to return the car. The GPS had no problem getting us back onto Disney property and we knew better than to listen to the GPS to get us back to the Dolphin so we followed the signs but accidentally turned into the Epcot parking entrance area and the nice CM (He must be so used to people saying “Oops!”) directed us in the right direction and we were filling up the gas tank and getting rid of the car VERY happily! Our personalities just don’t mesh well when it comes to getting lost. This is why we know that we don’t choose to rent cars on vacation very often.

Once we got back into the room we both took a little breather and freshened up for DTD. We headed down to the bus stop and a DTD bus showed up right away! We were at DTD very quickly and we decided to head over to Portobello for dinner.

273.jpg

They said it would be about 20 minutes so I went outside to have a look around and I wasn’t 50 feet from the entrance before our buzzer went off! Our service was quick, which I liked. I feel like Disney servers always have the best intentions but they often forget about us. This restaurant wasn’t on the DDP but I recently read that in 2012 it is being added to the list.

Unfortunately I don’t have any food pictures. People weren’t really taking pictures around me and it didn’t seem like the type of place that you would take pictures of your food. Oh well! The food was pretty good! Nothing memorable, however.

Once we were finished with dinner we just browsed through the stores. We didn’t make very many purchases. We stopped to listen to a band playing near Portobello and Fulton’s and it was nice. They played Canon in D, which is the song I walked down the aisle to so it brought back some great memories and was much needed after the stressful time DH and I had with driving that day.

This night I would say is when DH’s pin trading got taken to a whole new level. He noticed the “Hidden Mickey” pin collections in the display cases and that was the end of it. Holy Moly! The next week would consist of me turning to the side to say something to DH and him not being there b/c he had a “CM with pins radar” device (not really but certainly felt like it) and would go up to each and every one of them to check for the pins he needed! Now you understand the title of my TR.

Before heading out we did stop at Goofys Candy Co for these bad boys:

280.jpg

281.jpg

Up Next: Animal Kingdom!

I know exactly what you mean about personalities not meshing when you're lost! I absolutely HATE being lost. I start to panic as soon as I realize I don't know where I am. I am typically the one that drives, so here I am freaking out, and Miguel being the laid back person that he is just can't understand why I'm freaked out...:headache:

I know exactly what you mean about personalities not meshing when you're lost! I absolutely HATE being lost. I start to panic as soon as I realize I don't know where I am. I am typically the one that drives, so here I am freaking out, and Miguel being the laid back person that he is just can't understand why I'm freaked out...:headache:

Sometimes I think we would avoid a lot of frustration if I just drove but I just don't particularly enjoy driving very often. Greg has always been the one to do the majority of the driving since we've been together.

Monday, October 4:

This morning we had an ADR for Boma-but we slept in instead! Saturday and Sunday were both eventful days so we definitely got some much needed rest! We still we going to head to AK as originally planned, though. We just missed an AK bus and I felt like we waited an awfully long time before another one came along. Oh well, I guess that’s Disney transportation for you…

As soon as we got to AK we headed to FTBBQ for some lunch. The new queue is great I think it helps with keeping the lines pretty even during the lunch rush. It was such a yummy lunch, too! We both had the pulled pork sandwich and we split an order of onion rings.

282.jpg

283.jpg

Funny story about lunch: I was carrying the tray and Greg went to go find us seats and set our drinks down. I called him over to help me b/c there wasn’t a lot of room for me to place my tray down and still get the napkins, etc. Well in that short time frame a family came along and one of the children with them was just a second away from taking a sip of my lemonade! That certainly doesn’t happen every day.

After lunch we headed over to Asia to grab some FPs for EE. We then trekked it over to FOTLK and I had to stop for a Mickey premium ice cream bar even though I was still full from lunch. I love that chocolate coating! YUM!
FOTLK has to be one of my favorite things to experience in WDW. I’ve seen Broadway in Chicago shows that weren’t as good.

287-Copy-Copy.jpg

288.jpg

290.jpg

293.jpg

As soon as FOTLK was over we walked back over to EE to use our FPs. Then we walked over to the Flights of Wonder show.

303.jpg

It wasn’t an attraction that was necessarily high on my list but it was something we hadn’t done before. I found myself laughing out loud several times. It really was interesting. They made it informational without being boring. I think we’d skip it the next time or two but I wouldn’t hesitate to see it again in the future.

Somewhere along the way we ran into DeVine:

295.jpg

We stopped to get a frozen blue raspberry fanta and a jalapeno cheese pretzel and we found a bench to sit on.

308.jpg

307-1.jpg

We then decided it was about time to head out. We stopped to look at our PPass pictures so far and while I was in the restroom a CM told Greg about the pin STROLLERS. Oh dear. Just what he needed. Another excuse for a pin stop!

We weren’t in our room long before we headed out to the Poly for dinner at Kona.

309.jpg

We got there early and we only waited around 15 minutes. We had a sllllllllllllllow server. She was busy but she clearly neglected our table for a good 10-15 minutes. We each chose the pre fix menu and our appetizers too forever to be served. We were, of course, one bite into our appetizers when…

313.jpg

314.jpg

...our entrees arrived. The runner saw our full plate and bowl and took them back. When they were brought out we were both less than impressed. The macadamia and coconut coating on my chicken was overdone. I barely ate half.

315.jpg

316.jpg

The best part of the meal was dessert and it wasn’t even that good!

317.jpg

318.jpg

The verdict on Kona for us is a no go. I just think we haven’t had the best service/food quality while we were there. I don’t think we’ll be going there again anytime soon.

Once we were (finally) done with dinner we headed over to the monorail so that we could go to MK for EMH. The monorail attendant struck up a conversation between Greg and I about Saturday (the 40th anniversary) and we were all in agreement that the fireworks were not anything spectacular. It’s always nice to chat with CM’s.

Once we go to the MK we went over to the Laugh Floor and Greg got chosen to be Mike in their little story. It was funny! I took Greg on the CoP b/c it was something he hadn’t done before and I wanted the song to get stuck in his head. (I’m so nice!)

We then went to the Tiki Room and…

319.jpg

I DID NOT LIKE IT. Soooo boring! Perhaps if I had some nostalgia toward it or was younger but I don’t think I could watch it again for a very long time!

By the time we made it over to Pirates it was time to bust out the KTTW cards and guess what? Greg forgot his! UGH! Seriously, didn’t he remember how upset I got last October when he lost his KTTW card in AK? Luckily this experience was a lot better and the CM gave him a “FP” that really just had printed that he was okay to get into every attraction during EMH that night. Crisis averted!

We were pretty pooped by now so we headed down Main Street, making a pit stop to get ice cream sundaes and we went to “our” spot in the little alcove. We saw CM’s heading back stage and I tried to strain my neck to see anything interesting but all I saw was an ice machine. Whoop de doo…
We probably waited 30 minutes for a bus. Ugh! At least the bus driver was really friendly but there was some rude people making comments about how they wish he would just shut up. Made me sad. You’re in Disney after all!

We were dreaming Disney dreams before we knew it!

Up Next: Will we ever make it to Boma???

Sometimes I think we would avoid a lot of frustration if I just drove but I just don't particularly enjoy driving very often. Greg has always been the one to do the majority of the driving since we've been together.

:rotfl: That's basically me & Tim! :laughing: We always laugh when we hear about people who drive long distances to get to Disney and say how we'd never make it because one of us would kill the other before we got there!

Sorry you didn't like Kona... the menu doesn't really appeal to us so we've never been.

Hope you have a nice New Year's Eve! I've been enjoying a super lazy day with lots of DIS time! :thumbsup2

Your Flame Tree lunch looks really good! I am not a big barbeque fan, so we've never eaten there, but I think I might actually like it. I will have to try it sometime. :thumbsup2

I had the same experience with Flights of Wonder. I found myself really impressed with the show, which I didn't expect! Sorry to hear you had a similar experience with Kona as well. Your meal sounds exactly like ours - poor service, and the dessert was the only decent thing. We won't be going back either.

:rotfl: That's basically me & Tim! :laughing: We always laugh when we hear about people who drive long distances to get to Disney and say how we'd never make it because one of us would kill the other before we got there!

Sorry you didn't like Kona... the menu doesn't really appeal to us so we've never been.

Hope you have a nice New Year's Eve! I've been enjoying a super lazy day with lots of DIS time! :thumbsup2

Greg and I drove to Tennessee last spring and we had no problems...until we were about an hour from home. Our car started making this AWFUL sound, like something was dragging. I made Greg get off at a rest stop and he was NOT happy b/c he just wanted to continue driving! It ended up being the plastic piece from underneath the car-nothing serious but we had to get off the main highway and drive on the side road back to our house. That was NOT fun. :sad2:

Your Flame Tree lunch looks really good! I am not a big barbeque fan, so we've never eaten there, but I think I might actually like it. I will have to try it sometime. :thumbsup2

I had the same experience with Flights of Wonder. I found myself really impressed with the show, which I didn't expect! Sorry to hear you had a similar experience with Kona as well. Your meal sounds exactly like ours - poor service, and the dessert was the only decent thing. We won't be going back either.

The pulled pork sandwich actually has no BBQ sauce on it. You can put it on yourself from the condiment station they have if you'd like. The sandwich itself was so moist and delicious that it didn't really need it. Yum...:love:

It was never a meal that I was particularly looking forward to it but many people here on the boards really enjoy it so I didn't want to miss out. Turns out that I would have rather missed it. Oh well, not everyone restaurant is going to appeal to everybody.

Tuesday October 4:

We rescheduled our Boma reservation for this morning and we were determined to go! We were up BEFORE the 8am wakeup call.

We were still 10 minutes late, though. (We decided not to take a cab in lieu of saving some $$$-remember that for just a bit later.) We took a boat over to DHS and a bus to AKL. The bus to AKL took FOR-EV-ER! After 25 minutes Greg went to the info. desk and the CM said he would take care of it. Not 5 minutes later did a bus finally show up. On our way to the Jambo house the bus driver almost blew a stop sign and SLAMMED on his brakes. I was NOT happy.

The delicious breakfast made up for the stress of getting to Boma. I ate way too much food! Sorry I didn't take any photos.

To get back to the Dolphin we decided to get on an AK bus and take that to the Dolphin. We should have taken the DHS bus b/c 2 of those showed up in the time we spent waiting for an AK bus. After 15 minutes I was getting frustrated (partly b/c of our difficulty getting to Boma earlier in the morning) and we took a cab back to the Dolphin. The cab driver definitely took a scenic route b/c DH and I both saw the Epcot sign that we turned at on Sunday to get back to the Dolphin. He definitely wasn’t given an exuberant tip.

We decided just to spend time at the pool this afternoon. I did some more laundry, too. I even took a nap!

We headed to Epcot in the late afternoon for some more Food & Wine fun for dinner!

First, however, we visited the “Cave” in the Mexican pavilion.

321.jpg

It was something I had wanted to do for a while now. It was quite busy but we managed to find a table for 2. We both ordered margaritas and an order of guacamole and chips to split. I had the blood orange margarita and Greg had the pineapple if I remember correctly.

323.jpg

324.jpg

325.jpg

How I would love to just waste away a few hours here, drinking margaritas, enjoying delicious appetizers and laughing with friends! We didn’t linger too long, however. There were plenty of people waiting for a table and I didn’t want to “wear out our welcome”.

We made a pit stop at Test Track to grab a couple of FPs.

334.jpg

Since we knew we weren’t ready to continue our feasting around the world just yet, we headed over to see Figment.

333.jpg

We both have never done it before. I didn’t think it was anything special and I think we can safely say we won’t do it again next trip. We spent some time exploring the interactive area they had once you got off of the attraction.

Then, we headed back over to Test Track at this point. We kissed for the PPass picture and when we were scanning the picture to our card we heard some “Awwws” from other visitors.

As soon as we were finished with Test Track, we were ready to eat! We really didn’t stop at too many places b/c it was SO crowded! We still sampled a lot of delicious food and perhaps some that weren’t quite to our taste.
Caribbean Islands: Ropa Vieja (Braised Beef) with White Rice

326.jpg

This was one of my favorite items from all of the booths. The flavor is out of this world. The meat was juicy and had just the right amount of spice. The rice wasn’t gummy at all.

Also Caribbean Islands: Jerk spiced Chicken Drumstick with Mango Salsa

327.jpg

While the chicken was good, I let Greg eat my share of this. It just didn’t have a wow factor. I didn’t care for the mango salsa but Greg enjoyed dipping the drumstick into the salsa.

China: Caramel-Ginger Ice Cream

328.jpg

This was barely edible. It was frozen. I wish it would have been freshly scooped instead of individually frozen. We each took a few bites but tossed the majority of it.

South Korea: Lettuce Wraps with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw

329.jpg

This was one of my favorite items from last year. I wasn’t as impressed this year. There was something different about it and I can’t put my finger on it.

Also South Korea: Boolgogi BBQ Beef with steamed Rice and Kimchi

330.jpg

Greg insisted on trying this. While the BBQ beef was pretty good the rest wasn’t to my taste.

Greece: Griddled Greek Cheese with Pistachios and Honey

337.jpg

I waited probably 5 minutes for this item-which is the longest I waited for any item all trip-and I wasn’t impressed. I think it could have been cooked a little longer. The crispy edges were delicious but the rest was just this hard mass of cheese and it was difficult to eat. We tossed most of it.

We also had something from:

331.jpg

Seared Filet of Beef with Smashed Sweet Potatoes and Braai Sauce

332.jpg

Eh, I had this last year and didn’t like it. I had it this year and didn’t like it either.

Desserts & Champagne: White Chocolate Macadamia Mousse with Dark Chocolate Pearls

335.jpg

That picture makes it look about 10 times bigger than it actually was. It was maybe 2 teaspoons full. Not anything spectacular and not worth getting again.

We decided just to leave and walked back to the Dolphin through the boardwalk. It was such a nice walk and I took some great pictures.

340.jpg

343.jpg

346.jpg

348.jpg

350.jpg

351.jpg

356.jpg

We made it back to our room and were able to watch Illuminations from our window.

363.jpg

368.jpg

370.jpg

That was cool! I wish we had a balcony but then again, we wouldn’t have been so high up.

After Illuminations was over we headed down to the food court (Picabu, I believe it’s called) of the Dolphin and I got some chicken tenders and fries.

They weren’t anything spectacular. Greg went back down to get me ranch after we had taken the food back up to our room. I barely ate half before throwing it away.

Another Disney day done but don’t worry there’s still 5 more full days of fun still to come!

Up Next: Will we manage to get TSM FPs even with a late wakeup?

Transportation stories like yours are why I am so glad that we drive so that we can get ourselves around. It's nice sometimes to take the buses so that we don't have to drive, but I hate waiting - I like to be on my own timeframe! :lmao:

I love your evening Boardwalk pictures! I am determined to finally get over to there on our upcoming trip. How neat that you had such an amazing view of Illuminations from your room!

Transportation stories like yours are why I am so glad that we drive so that we can get ourselves around. It's nice sometimes to take the buses so that we don't have to drive, but I hate waiting - I like to be on my own timeframe! :lmao:

I love your evening Boardwalk pictures! I am determined to finally get over to there on our upcoming trip. How neat that you had such an amazing view of Illuminations from your room!

I hear ya with the transportation! However, I don't want to worry about remembering where I parked my car and we all know by now how well Greg and I do driving together in unfamiliar territories... :lmao:

Thanks, I am really happy with how they came out. You HAVE to get over there! The sound of the floorboards underneath your feet, the architecture of the buildings and the lighting make the boardwalk area a great experience. :) Although, I still wish Spoodles was there instead of Kouzzina!

Wednesday October 5, 2011

I have to admit, our trip was more than half over at this point and I was getting sad-but no worries because I didn’t let it affect my mood! :sad2:

Before we went to sleep we both agreed that we would like to make RD at DHS for the TSM dash. Yeah, we woke up at 9 AM! I even have written in caps in my notes, “THOSE DARN BLACKOUT DRAPES!” :laughing:

When we got to the park, I sent Greg for FPs for TSM and I went to Starring Rolls to grab us some breakfast.

Starring Rolls is such a great place! Their iced coffee is delicious and their pastries taste so fresh, it was a great start to the day. :cloud9:

373.jpg

374.jpg

375.jpg

As soon as we finished eating, we headed over to the Art of Animation and we saw the show this time. Eh, nothing special. We then headed to the classes and we did 3 in a row! I really love that class. :love:

376.jpg

We were able to experience One Man’s Dream (it was closed for refurb our last trip) and I absolutely loved the video they played in the theatre.
377.jpg

By this time we were getting hungry for some lunch. I know it doesn’t seem like we did much but keep in mind that 3 drawing classes = approx. 1.5 hours.

We decided to try our luck at Sci-Fi and see if we would walk up.

378.jpg

Success!

381.jpg

(We each had our own shake BTW. I’m not sure that Greg and I will ever split a shake again. A while back Greg, my cousin Jackie and I went to Fuddruckers for dinner and I asked Greg if he wanted to split a cookies & cream shake with me and we proceeded to argue about who drank the most for the entire meal. (I still think he drank more! HA!) :lmao: We’re never going to live that one down. My cousin told EVERYONE because she thought it was oh so funny.)

My overall opinion? Eh… I like 50s PTC better. However, I am looking forward to the day when Greg and I have little ones of our own and we can take them here.

We didn’t want to do anything to thrilling after our lunch so we headed over to GMR. I’ve seen it several times by now and while it’s not my favorite it’s just one of those things that I say, “I don’t care if I miss” and then I always seem to go on it! We actually got the Cowboy version this time so it was worth riding. (I always had the gangster version in the past.)

We headed over to TOT next. After that our FP window was open for TSM so we headed on over that way. I must say, Greg is great at video games but I seem to have the edge on him for this game. YAY! :cool1:

I was itching to do another drawing class so we went back and did 2! The CM was the same from the morning and recognized us. She had a bit of a voting system to let the majority choose what we draw. We drew A LOT of characters between this trip and last so we were raising our hand a lot when she asked if anyone drew “this character” or “that one”. Oops? :rolleyes1 We actually drew Sorcerer Mickey this day and I know Greg was excited as that is his favorite version of Mickey.

We decided to leave the park at this point and, of course, Greg had to stop at the pin station to check out their pins. :headache: She showed Greg the pin binder and recommended that we got the hot dog topped with mac n’ cheese from Scoops. (I’ll have to remember that for next time!)

We were at the boat dock before long.

382.jpg

Wednesday October 5 (Cont.)

My mind is a little fuzzy but I believe we went back to the room to freshen up before heading over to Epcot for the evening. We had an ADR at San Angel and it was EMH.

We took a boat over and got to the Mexico pavilion without any trouble. Greg checked us in and they were BUSY! We waited around 10 minutes just to check-in and we overheard that they weren’t taking anymore walk-ups. We were handed a buzzer and we waited…and waited…and waited some more. After 30 minutes we were finally being seated.

The service was great but man are those tables squished together. :crowded: It was one of those situations where you pretty much are forced to make conversation with the tables on either side of you because it’s as though you are eating together. A family of 4 was sat just shortly after us and the little boy was being so cute; he wanted to order everything the same as his dad. It made me smile. Bless his heart!

We ordered an appetizer (Tostados de Tinga - Fried corn tortillas topped with black beans, lettuce, onions, advocado, tomato marinated chicken, sour cream, and fresh cheese) to split and it was very tasty. I also had an avocado margarita and it was soooooo delicious! Not to mention we were getting some great service so this girl was happy. :cloud9:

383.jpg

384.jpg

While the main entrees were good (Sirloin con Chilaquiles - Grilled sirloin with chilaquiles (layers of fried corn tortilla, green tomatillo sauce, topped with queso fresco, onion, and sour cream) served with black beans)(the lighting in there made it difficult to get good pictures) they weren’t anything memorable. I will definitely go back to San Angel but I think we’ll do lunch again like on the last trip.

After we settled the bill we headed over to The Land to go Soarin’ over California. The wait time said 35 minutes and, because it was right around the time Illuminations was starting, this was probably the shortest the wait was going to be the rest of the evening. We actually only ended up waiting 20 minutes. Score!

We decided to hop on Living with the Land.

I tried to look for the hidden Mickey in the lettuce but found this instead:

385.jpg

How cool?!

Unfortunately it wasn’t a very enjoyable ride as the family in front of us proceeded to talk rather LOUDLY through the entire ride and it wasn’t commentary on the ride it was just your everyday chatter. Oh well…

We headed over to The Seas and hopped aboard a clam mobile for an under the sea adventure. When we were walking toward SE after our ride we overheard a wife being told by her husband (it wasn’t eavesdropping he was shouting across the sidewalk to her) “Steve Jobs, dead!” I’ll never forget how I found out about his passing, that’s for sure!

We walked right onto to SE. It’s always a little creepy (IMO) to ride SE when there isn’t really anyone in few cars before or after you. We were stopped for a few minutes here:

386.jpg

Luckily it wasn’t a long stop because before long we were seeing our future:

387.jpg

388.jpg

We decided we had accomplished enough for the night and began our walk toward the boat dock to head back to the Dolphin. We caught a boat that was nearly full and we had to stand in the open area in the back…next to a bunch of drunk people. There were probably 5-6 people and they were obnoxious and had a white trash bag FULL OF AT LEAST 25 of the plastic souvenir mugs that the Food & Wine Fest were giving out with the 20+oz pours of beer. Yikes! :scared1: Luckily they got off at the Boardwalk (they were going to Jellyrolls).

Tomorrow was check-out day at the Dolphin and we still had some of the $100 credit left on our account so we stopped at The Fountain and got a PB & J shake. It was delicious! Great end to a great night!

Up Next: The clouds begin to roll in…

I added chapter links to the introductory post for the TR to make it easier to get caught up (or heck, read again! :rotfl2:). Click here

I also remembered to post a few photopass pictures from the past couple days of the trip I just shared with you:

PPassAK.jpg

PPassAK2.jpg

PPassDHS-1.jpg

PPassDHS2-1.jpg

I'm enjoying your TR albeit quietly! I LOVED the EPCOT in the lettuce! :thumbsup2

Too bad about the drunk people. Gotta hate that. At least it wasn't the whole ride.

Great updates!

Your pictures from the Boardwalk at night were so pretty, I really love the Boardwalk area!

I love Starring Roles, I will be going there on every trip from now on! :cool1:

I can't believe you guys got to draw Sorcerer Mickey, I would love to draw Mickey!

I love SE! I wish we could ride without people close to us, I feel like the last time we were on there, all we saw was flashes from people's cameras! :sad2:

Great PP pics!

Your photopass pics are great! You two are adorable. I was glad to see that even though you didn't make RD at HS you were still able to FP TSM!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter