can I call to see what room i'll be in?

disney_girl125

Mouseketeer
Ok i've seen posts on here that say that rooms are assigned 5 days out. Is there anyway to call and find out ahead of time what that room will be? I guess that might not work if they end of switching someone at the last minute, but it sure would be nice to know ahead of time!
If you use online check in, do you find out what room you are in then?

For security reasons, they won't tell you the room number until that room has been released by mousekeeping as ready. So, even if you have checked in and gotten your keys, if the rooms hasn't been cleaned and released they won't tell you the number.

Even if the room assignor blocks your room a few days before your arrival, any number of things can cause that assignment to change. Your room is not 100% assigned until you are given the number.

As the PP said they won't provide you with a room number until you've checked-in and the room is ready. Unless you've stayed at a particular resort before and have a specific location in mind I'm not sure why having the room number in advance would matter. Just make sure any requests are noted on your reservation (pool view, quiet location...etc.) and you should be all set!

Thank you, that all makes sense!
Are they usually good about giving you your room requests at pop? Last year I made a request at port orleans..ground floor and close to main building. I got neither!! So, i'll be anxious to know what we get this year and if our request is granted at pop.

Ok i've seen posts on here that say that rooms are assigned 5 days out. Is there anyway to call and find out ahead of time what that room will be? I guess that might not work if they end of switching someone at the last minute, but it sure would be nice to know ahead of time!
If you use online check in, do you find out what room you are in then?

They could never give you a room number ahead of time, because so many things could come up that might prevent that room from going to you - therefore, you do not know exactly what room you are in until it is released from mousekeeping as available for occupancy.

As for requests, they cannot all always be honored, especially if the resort is extraordinarily full.

As for Port Orleans, everyone asks for main floor in the AB because there are no elevators, and everyone asks to be close to the food court. And there are only so many rooms that fit that description, because the resort is so large.

Starting next year, there will be a preferred category at POR, that you pay for that gets you close to the main building and transportation.

People seem to really get a kick out of reading how this really works behind the scenes. :thumbsup2

Here is an example to show you why you don't see your room assignment ahead of time, as well as how upgrades happen.

We have both booked standard rooms at a deluxe resort. You do online check-in and I opt to do regular check-in. You say you are arriving at 10:00 am; they don't know what time I am arriving.

About three to five days before, a room assigner assigns you rm. no. 123, and I am assigned rm. no. 124. This deluxe resort is not overbooked, so they hold rm. no. 125 in reserve and there is also an available concierge level room no. 625.

At 9:00 am, Mousekeeping calls and states rm. no. 123 has a broken faucet. Maintenance has looked at it, they are a bit backed up, but can fix it by noon.

Several scenarios can happen:

Scenario no. 1 - You check in at 10:00 am, and they give you rm. no. 123, but tell you it is not available until noon. I check-in at 10:30 am and get room no. 124, which is available at 11:30 am.

Scenario no. 2 - you get my room no. 124, which is available sooner, and hope I check in later than noon. I check in at 10:30 am, so they decide to give me rm. no. 125. Rm. no. 123 will go in reserve until the repairs are completed.

Scenario no. 3 - They give you rm. no. 125, which is available, and then give me rm. no. 124, which is not available until 11:30 am.

Scenario no. 4 - You ask if there is a free upgrade. The CM says there is an upgrade to concierge level and it costs "X" amount of dollars. You decide it is worth the upgrade and you take rm. no. 625. I arrive later and get my room no. 124. Rm. no. 123 will go back into inventory when the repairs are completed.

Scenario no. 5 - You opt not to pay for the upgrade and take the available rm. no. 125. At 10:15 am, the Front Desk receives a call looking for an available standard room, since a value resort is overbooked. This would be an upgrade for them. They offer them room. no. 124, which will be available to the displaced guests at 11:30, which is about how long it will take to get their baggage over to the resort.

I check in fifteen minutes later. My room has been given to another guest, and the other standard room is still having repairs completed. SOOOOO I am told I have been given a free upgrade to room. no. 625, and rm. no. 123 goes back into inventory when the repair is done.

People seem to really get a kick out of reading how this really works behind the scenes. :thumbsup2

Here is an example to show you why you don't see your room assignment ahead of time, as well as how upgrades happen.

We have both booked standard rooms at a deluxe resort. You do online check-in and I opt to do regular check-in. You say you are arriving at 10:00 am; they don't know what time I am arriving.

About three to five days before, a room assigner assigns you rm. no. 123, and I am assigned rm. no. 124. This deluxe resort is not overbooked, so they hold rm. no. 125 in reserve and there is also an available concierge level room no. 625.

At 9:00 am, Mousekeeping calls and states rm. no. 123 has a broken faucet. Maintenance has looked at it, they are a bit backed up, but can fix it by noon.

Several scenarios can happen:

Scenario no. 1 - You check in at 10:00 am, and they give you rm. no. 123, but tell you it is not available until noon. I check-in at 10:30 am and get room no. 124, which is available at 11:30 am.

Scenario no. 2 - you get my room no. 124, which is available sooner, and hope I check in later than noon. I check in at 10:30 am, so they decide to give me rm. no. 125. Rm. no. 123 will go in reserve until the repairs are completed.

Scenario no. 3 - They give you rm. no. 125, which is available, and then give me rm. no. 124, which is not available until 11:30 am.

Scenario no. 4 - You ask if there is a free upgrade. The CM says there is an upgrade to concierge level and it costs "X" amount of dollars. You decide it is worth the upgrade and you take rm. no. 625. I arrive later and get my room no. 124. Rm. no. 123 will go back into inventory when the repairs are completed.

Scenario no. 5 - You opt not to pay for the upgrade and take the available rm. no. 125. At 10:15 am, the Front Desk receives a call looking for an available standard room, since a value resort is overbooked. This would be an upgrade for them. They offer them room. no. 124, which will be available to the displaced guests at 11:30, which is about how long it will take to get their baggage over to the resort.

I check in fifteen minutes later. My room has been given to another guest, and the other standard room is still having repairs completed. SOOOOO I am told I have been given a free upgrade to room. no. 625, and rm. no. 123 goes back into inventory when the repair is done.

Quick, get my abacus!

I'm so confused....my head might explode! Thanks for the insight!

Nah, no abacus needed. Here, I'll condense it for you:

Missytara has magical powers that enable her to break a faucet without even being in the same state, resulting in her being upgraded to Concierge Level free ;)

So the later you check in the better? ;)

Not necessarily. Add room 113 to the hypothetical mix. It's in a back corner near a set of steps and the mousekeeping hub where they bang around the carts several times per day. The view out the window is of the parking lot with a side order of dumpster. It's the room that gets top billing on the "worst room" threads. It's also the last room that will be filled, because everyone they put in there will come back to the front desk to be moved. In the hypothetical example, if that's all that's still available when you arrive because the maintenance issue is still unresolved, and there's nothing to upgrade to, you'll get it. So it's a gamble.

Put another way, if they know a room category is overbooked, and they will need to upgrade people, then they will have already done the upgrades they need to early in the day. As more people check in and view their rooms and swap out for better ones, there are fewer and fewer great rooms to choose from.

While there's a chance that arriving late can get you a good room or upgrade, there's just as much chance you'll end up with a worse room because that's all that's left. There's no magic time of day to arrive, or magic way to get the "perfect" room. Usually, I find that if I don't get my request, that the room I do get ends up being a better choice in the end.

I've never requested a room and never received a room I didn't like.

Not to say if I opened the door and there were a major problem, I'd be down at the desk. But I am a realist. There is no way WDW can honor everyone's requests.

AS far as anyone saying "I asked and got none of requests", I hope you still had a big smile and the attitude that you had nothing to lose by asking:upsidedow

Nah, no abacus needed. Here, I'll condense it for you:

Missytara has magical powers that enable her to break a faucet without even being in the same state, resulting in her being upgraded to Concierge Level free ;)

That's a good one!:thumbsup2

Actually, being in Facilities Management, I understand how this whole thing works!

Not necessarily. Add room 113 to the hypothetical mix. It's in a back corner near a set of steps and the mousekeeping hub where they bang around the carts several times per day. The view out the window is of the parking lot with a side order of dumpster. It's the room that gets top billing on the "worst room" threads. It's also the last room that will be filled, because everyone they put in there will come back to the front desk to be moved. In the hypothetical example, if that's all that's still available when you arrive because the maintenance issue is still unresolved, and there's nothing to upgrade to, you'll get it. So it's a gamble.

Put another way, if they know a room category is overbooked, and they will need to upgrade people, then they will have already done the upgrades they need to early in the day. As more people check in and view their rooms and swap out for better ones, there are fewer and fewer great rooms to choose from.

While there's a chance that arriving late can get you a good room or upgrade, there's just as much chance you'll end up with a worse room because that's all that's left. There's no magic time of day to arrive, or magic way to get the "perfect" room. Usually, I find that if I don't get my request, that the room I do get ends up being a better choice in the end.

I think that is another great way of explaining it!

There is never going to be a perfectly magical time to do online check-in, ask for requests, or check-in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter