Can anyone tell me about memory foam?

britfish

DIS Veteran
We were thinking of getting a memory foam mattress topper for our bed. Has anyone used one? Are there big differences in the brands? I don't want to spend the money if its just going to get squished down in a few months.

I can tell you tomorrow...we actually just bought one yesterday at Sam's club! Figured it was cheaper than a new bed. Once you get it out of the box you have to let it sit for 24 hours and refluff itself. We're putting in on the bed tonite:thumbsup2

Can't wait to hear what others say...apparently Sam's has a good return policy if this doesn't work out. How we will get it back in the box? Now that's another story:rotfl:

how thick did you buy? I was looking at the 3 or 4 inch ones but I don't know if then I would need to buy different sheets.

I bought my son a 2 inch one for his bed that he was complaining was not comfortable at all(he's 16 and I think it is just too small at this point) BUT I tried the foam mattress thing first and he LOVES it. I have not heard a complaint since- he's had it about a year now. I got mine at Khol's - with a coupon so it was only about $60- worth every penny. And his regular sheets fit fine with the 2 inch- and I think there is room for more-

I have a 3 inch memory foam on my bed. I've had a memory foam on my bed for over the last 5 years (not the same one though!). You should notice a difference, for sure. As another poster said, you're supposed to open it up and let it 'breathe' for 24 hours before putting it on the bed.

i think if the mattress is really bad it probably won't do much.

We had an old mattress and needed a new one - thought about the temperpedic, but was not sure if we would like the foam. We wound up ordering a Foam Mattress from Overstock - about 500.00. Figure if we didn't like it we could keep it for a year or so and then go back to a traditional one.

Anyway, we have it since Sept. and are very happy with it! also bought foam pillows - u definitly need to get use to it....

I had one and it worked great. Mine was HOT though. Of course I burn up at night anyway so I'm sure that didn't help matters.

I bought a memory foam topper about 3 months ago, and I absolutely love it. I was pregnant at the time, and my joints and hips literally ached when I laid down in bed. I did a lot of reading before I purchased, and ended up buying this one at Overstock.com:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sensus-Memory-Foam-3-inch-Mattress-Topper/3657735/product.html

The main reason I chose this one is because it is 5 lb density. It is still soft, but has support to it unlike the 2 lb and 3 lb density toppers. It was a little more expensive than the cheaper ones I saw at Sam's Club and Walmart, but they didn't have anything comparable in density and thickness.

My mom bought a cheaper memory foam topper last summer, and hers is already starting to smash down in the area where she sleeps.

The difference in how I sleep now is amazing. I don't toss and turn anymore, and I wake up feeling refreshed. I let mine air out for about 4 days in a spare bedroom, but 1 day would have probably been fine. I put mine under the cloth mattress protector that I already had on my bed, and the sheets go right over that. I already owned products that were designed for a double pillowtop mattress, so they were large enough to go over the foam topper as well.

I love mine and DS loves his ~ we both sleep on twins I bought Q size toppers and folded them in 1/2 - I have heard they are warm - I haven't noticed that too much ~ DS is one that supposedly is a cooler.... Mine came from Shopko - DS's from overstock.com

We were looking at purchasing a new mattress. Our king sized mattress was so uncomfortable. I would wake every morning feeling like I had been beaten up and usually had a spring poking me in the right butt cheek. Then we found the answer at Walmart, a 4" mattress topper. It has been worth every penny and then some. :thumbsup2

the one we bought from Sam's is 2.5 inch thick/$100.

Slept on it last night...initial impressions (impressions - lol - foam mattress!:rotfl:) anyway, initial thoughts are: was more comfy than our mattress undreneath. Seemed a little hot in places where I make a big dent (hips, for example). Kinda reminded me of when we had a waterbed - the way you sink down into it. Made the edge of the bed even more mushy, ie, felt like I was gonna roll off more than normal.

DH said he slept great.:cloud9:

I had one and it worked great. Mine was HOT though. Of course I burn up at night anyway so I'm sure that didn't help matters.

that was the problem we had, DH and I ROASTED when that thing was on our bed. We ended up buying a new bed.

we bought one last month (the one from sam's club) and we love it. Yes I get hot at night with it, but it is worth it :thumbsup2

We bought a 2" thick one at Sam's Club and put it over our Sleep Number (I hated that bed) it helped some. We bought a TempurPedic (I LOVE it) the next year and cut the memory foam mattress topper into 2 dog bed sizes for our labs (they slip into their old bed's case) they seem to like it, but they also prefer the TempruPedic!:rotfl:

I've been thinking about buying one of these. Our king-size mattress is on its last legs, and I really want to downsize to a queen . . . but I won't do that while we live in this house. I mean, we already own a decent bedroom set that fits this bedroom, but it was a hand-me-down and really isn't my taste. Of course, it'll probably be 10 years 'til we move, so I probably should just break down and buy a new mattress for this bedset/this house.

... roasted ...
My mother got one with her new adjustable electric bed and she was sweaty and clammy on most nights.

Maybe hers was the wrong brand that did not breathe.

We got a memory foam about 2 months and love, love, love it...i really looked into them before i bought them, and the one thing i read repeatedly was to make sure to buy one with foam made in either canada or the US...the smell of some of the overseas foam is far stronger and possibly unhealthy...the one i bought has some kind of "cool" design, so you do not heat up at night when you are sleeping...all i know, i sleep so much better and so does my husband...:thumbsup2

any foam you put on top has the potential to make you hotter. I've never slept without some sort of foam on my bed. Of course my aunt worked for a company that dealt with foam.

I prefer 4" stuff, and the last piece was egg crate. It was well worn and used for 7yrs, but i didn't keep it this last time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter