Calling out sick from work

We don't have a written policy on it. I work remotely so I'd have to be knocking on death's door to justify calling in, plus I'd have to use a coveted PTO day as a sick day which I hate doing. But I would just text my boss if I needed to do that.

I had worked for a large company that required you to go on line and report sick. You had to report sick at least two hours before you shift started or it would have been a no call no show. If you called your manager to let them know you would not be in it was also considered a no call no show. You had to do it on line. So if you were sick you had better have access to a computer/smart phone.

We don't have a written policy on it. I work remotely so I'd have to be knocking on death's door to justify calling in, plus I'd have to use a coveted PTO day as a sick day which I hate doing. But I would just text my boss if I needed to do that.
Yeah, I have had a the luck to start feeling sick at the end of my shift Friday, spent all weekend sick, and be fine by Monday morning. Although this year I have used 4 hours total (2 hours on 2 days I didn't feel well). We switched to PTO this year with vacation, sick time and holiday time (holidays are not days off in my industry) and getting dumped into one pool. Holidays don't carry over, you have to use those hours from the pool or lose them. I have to wonder if corporate is rethinking this change though as it appears to have increased the number of people calling out at the last minute.

I work in a call center, so I have to call into the 'sick' hotline and give them all the information of being out. But if that happens I'm penalized for not doing it 48 hours in advance so I avoid doing it.

Have to call as early as possible for day/late shift by 4pm for nights. Have to call everyday by 4pm to continue sick unless signed off by doctor. Can self certificate for 7 days in the UK after that a doctor needs to sign you off.

I just message my team colleagues via MS Teams that I am not well and staying home. Depending on what it is you work from home or not. if there‘s something major going on I call my boss to discuss backup ( if I am to present or there‘s a major meeting)

after 3 days we need a Drs note for it to be considered paid sick leave. In Germany sick time. is totally separate from vacation time. There‘s also no limit really. Sick is sick. Believe after 6 weeks, long term kicks in.

I text my team at 8 AM (our day starts at 9 AM) to let them know I won't be in. Try to check my email during the day if I'm up for it, and tell them to text me if anything urgent happens. My own boss is in the UK and I don't even bother telling her anymore (she never responds/doesn't care/trusts me to get stuff covered as needed) and she gets the sick day notification I put into our HR system the next day.

I ask my own team to text us all if they'll be out sick unexpectedly, but not before 8 AM because I hate being woken up before I absolutely need to be. ;)

Not a morning person.

I just text my boss as soon as I know. She is on the east coast, and I am on the west coast, so she is usually working by the time I am up and realize work is not happening. If I am feeling up to it, I can also login and work from home, but I figure if I am sick enough to not go into the office, I am sick enough to not work at home too. I was sick a couple weeks ago and she was travelling for work, so I was not sure how much she would be looking at her computer, so I also texted a manager on my team too since I wanted to make sure someone could email the team. We have PTO so all time comes from 1 pool. This last time I called out was the first time in about 2-3 years.

Thanks for your good thoughts. It is pretty serious, but as long as the infection doesn't seem to spread, we're going on the "it's getting better" train of thought. I go into the clinic every morning for a dose of IV clindamycin and am also taking it orally. My fever has broken, so that's also a positive sign. My eye itself isn't involved yet, which is the best thing of all. I have consults with the ophthalmologist and the oral surgeon to make sure everything is OK with my eye, jaw, and gum line. I guess this can "go south" fairly quickly, which is why they are seeing me daily and I'm monitoring my temp. As crazy as this all sounds, I don't feel really awful and it isn't very painful. Mostly it's just boring, as reading is quite challenging (there is a bit of double vision) and daytime TV stinks! As long as things don't spread or there isn't a new symptom, I won't need to be hospitalized. Fingers crossed!

Cellulitis? I ask because I just got over my 3rd bout with it...

Send a text or e-mail to my boss letting them know and send a message out to my staff as well. Have probably only taken 5 or 6 actual sick days in the 8 years I've been here (not counting doctor's appointments for me or my kids). We get something like 30 sick days a year, so I have somewhere around 24 weeks accumulated now.

Call, e-mail, or text my immediate supervisor. He prefers to be called, but most of the time his phone goes to voice mail, so I back it up with a text. If he's on vacation, I notify whoever's covering for him. I also text my team to let them know.

My staff calls or texts me, then I inform my supervisor.

I text my supervisor at my PT job. They figure out coverage.

At my FT job (on our farm) there are no sick days. The horses get fed and cared for everyday no matter how bad I am. I've worked with the flu, a blown disc, broken bones. I may cancel my riding lessons if I have to but the chores always get done.

Right off the bat start indicating the direction you are going to go with the phone call by making very oblique references to using the bathroom. Maybe bring up that there was a Manwich eating contest the day before that might be influencing your current condition. That you haven't (and can't see yourself) leaving the house except to get more Pepto Bismo...

At this point (or well before it) you should be wished a speedy recovery and the call ended.

I worked for a hospital for 22 years and their policy was 3 hours before start of shift. I got kinda lost in details the day after my father passed and missed the deadline. Because of their response, I went to work the next day and when my floor manager showed she was, "Why are you here?" I told her it was due to the shift sups response to me calling out the previous day and she told me to go home. By that time I'd worked half the shift and was fairly done. I was floor support/clerk - completely desk related. BTW, he died in that hospital so it wouldn't have taken much for management to verify my conflict and I was PT so I knew I wasn't getting paid. Irritating.

Nowadays I send an email from my phone - don't even get out of bed. D.O.N.E.

We are supposed to notify via phone call. I hate talking to anyone in that situation and the last time I called in it was at 4:00am via voice message and I went back to sleep :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter