calling all ATL airport experts!

M2DD's

DIS Veteran
Help! Were booked on a delta flight leaving out of (BMI-Illinois).We have a connceting flight from ATL to MCO.There is a 40 min lay over (which we had last yr and had no problem.We got off the plane and walked over to the next flight that was in the same concorse. So we thought that this yr we wouldn't have any problems.Well I just looked the other day and our fight is landing in concorse D34.Then the plane than goes on to HSV. Are connecting flight in ATL is departing gate A16.I was trying to get an idea how far away these concorse are but the maps on ALT airport are confusing.Anyone out there help me figure out how far way these are from each other. I imagin that that they have to have time to transfer the luggage over and would they book you on a flight that you couldn't make the connection.
TIA

Help! Were booked on a delta flight leaving out of (BMI-Illinois).We have a connceting flight from ATL to MCO.There is a 40 min lay over (which we had last yr and had no problem.We got off the plane and walked over to the next flight that was in the same concorse. So we thought that this yr we wouldn't have any problems.Well I just looked the other day and our fight is landing in concorse D34.Then the plane than goes on to HSV. Are connecting flight in ATL is departing gate A16.I was trying to get an idea how far away these concorse are but the maps on ALT airport are confusing.Anyone out there help me figure out how far way these are from each other. I imagin that that they have to have time to transfer the luggage over and would they book you on a flight that you couldn't make the connection.
TIA

You should be fine. Keep in mind the gate change daily since there are so many Delta flights.

You would simply go down to the train and take it to the other concourse, then back up to the gate level. The trains come every few minutes. It is very quick. I would not walk it as it takes longer.

Duds

You should be fine. Keep in mind the gate change daily since there are so many Delta flights.

You would simply go down to the train and take it to the other concourse, then back up to the gate level. The trains come every few minutes. It is very quick. I would not walk it as it takes longer.

Duds
Thanks for the qiuck response :thumbsup2
When you go down to catch the train does it then stop at each concorse or do you catch a direct train to concorse A.
I mean if we get on at concorse D does than train then stop at C,than B and than A? Is 40 minutes enough time?
Delta said that if the plane was delayed they would put us on the next flight out that had room. But if it was our fault we missed the plane we would have to pay so I want to make sure we get there in time.

When you go down to catch the train does it then stop at each concorse or do you catch a direct train to concorse A.
I mean if we get on at concorse D does than train then stop at C,than B and than A?

That's exactly what it does - stop at each one. The train goes to every concourse both directions. It seems they are constantly there. I don't think I've ever had to wait more than a minute for one to show up.

As mentioned before, check the monitors to see what gate your MCO flight is leaving from. Delta flies out of most of the concourses in ATL. Gate changes are always happening. The Delta flight attendants are pretty good about announcing connecting gates on the approach to ATL. But still check.

You will not have to pay a change fee if you misconnect.

If traveling with children have a plan for who carries what and move swiftly to the following gate. Inside the seatback pocket is the inflight magazine, inside that magazine there will be a map of ATL airport. Tear it out and put it in your pocket. IF you have to change concourses make sure you get on the train going in the appropriate direction. 40 minutes is plenty of time, if you don't dilly dally. When you land at ATL the FA will come over the loudspeaker and tell you what gate you will be arriving at. Sometimes they call out connecting gate information over the loud speaker, but sometimes they don't, so once you deplane look for the DEPARTURES board (not to be confused with the arrivals board) and find Orlando to find the latest gate information. Move swiftly to the appropriate gate. I recommend everyone using the lavatory on the plane before landing just so you won't have to make an emergency pit stop during your tight connection.

Thanks for all the great advise and tips. Are kids area 3 1/2 and almost 7 and we will have a stroller with us.My kids will just walk down the escalator and my DH will carry the stoller down. Hopefully there will be more people than us changing planes(our flight to ATL is full ). Wish us luck next wk.

Thanks for all the great advise and tips. Are kids area 3 1/2 and almost 7 and we will have a stroller with us.My kids will just walk down the escalator and my DH will carry the stoller down. Hopefully there will be more people than us changing planes(our flight to ATL is full ). Wish us luck next wk.

If you are gate checking the stroller, you may be cutting it close with 40 minutes. Good luck.

There are elevators you can use as well. You just have to look for the signs, but I've never encountered a line for one. Good luck!

I know this is off topic, but how did you find out the gate assignements for your flights in advance?

I know this is off topic, but how did you find out the gate assignements for your flights in advance?
They could change every day, especially at an airport such as ATL. There is no guarantee that flight XXX from ATL to MCO will depart out of the gate tomorrow as it did today. ALWAYS CHECK THE MONITORS FOR GATE CHANGES!!!

40 minutes is awfully marginal time allowance if you have to change concourses. They usually start loading planes by about 25-30 minutes before departure, and usually close the gate entirely a few minutes before the departure. If you weren't changing concourses, I would say you should be able to do it without much hassle, but you're really going to be rushed in the scenario you're describing.

40 minutes is awfully marginal time allowance if you have to change concourses. They usually start loading planes by about 25-30 minutes before departure, and usually close the gate entirely a few minutes before the departure. If you weren't changing concourses, I would say you should be able to do it without much hassle, but you're really going to be rushed in the scenario you're describing.

I am worried :scared1: I talked to Delta and they assured me that they wouldn't book a connecting flight that you couldn't make.If we do miss the connection there is a flight that leaves an hour later(has alot of seats left) and they wouldn't charge us. worst case senerio.Last yr we flew with air tran and our flight was over an hour late and they held the connecting flight for us. There were only 12 people that were making the connection. When we walked on we got the most dirtiest looks from some.I don't blame them I would have been upset also.

I have been tracking our flight daily because there have been problems out of our small airport.They have cancelled several of there flights and have also been delayed more than I think an airline should.I know that flights always change gates but in my flights case it departs 7 days a wk at the same time
6am. Every day the flight lands in ATL at gate D24.The connection has departed at several different gates so I don't know that one for sure but it has never been in gate D so I know I'll have to transfer concorse I just wasn't sure how to do it.
Make sense:confused3

since you mention having the stroller, I assume you are gate checking it? Be warned...I have had to wait up to 30 minutes for them to unload my stroller in the past. I guess you could tell them that you have a tight connection and hope they will unload your stroller quickly, but I wouldn't count on it. If I were you, I'd check the stroller, and let your 3 1/2 year old walk!

since you mention having the stroller, I assume you are gate checking it? Be warned...I have had to wait up to 30 minutes for them to unload my stroller in the past. I guess you could tell them that you have a tight connection and hope they will unload your stroller quickly, but I wouldn't count on it. If I were you, I'd check the stroller, and let your 3 1/2 year old walk!

It's a double stroller(tandom style) can you check it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter