Cafeen's Disney Dining Plan Cost Analysis Spreadsheet - Reborn

Yep, that's the case. It's meant to simulate using the TiW card to get savings on stuff that isn't covered by the plan. The display is a little wonky and I can probably clarify it in a future version, but that line itself is cost of the non-covered items OOP, plus tax, plus gratuity, plus the cost of the card (if you'd need to buy it). So basically, it would replace the "OOP Expenses" line.

Unfortunately, due to the limitations of Excel (well, really, it's due to the limitations of the UI of the sheet, I don't want to add yet another selection for each plan), this is triggered differently than the normal TiW itinerary. Only TS will be discounted, and further, if you decide to pay with the plan, the items that aren't covered by that plan will be discounted.

Good to know! The savings is huge with both the Dining Plan and the TiW.

Another question (you can tell me to stop bothering you), the "total cost" line on the DxDDP added approx $800 to the plan. Is that really how much the tax on the plan is? That's about 26% tax.

TIA

What website is the best source for dining menus to estimate what we will be ordering or where we will be dining?

What website is the best source for dining menus to estimate what we will be ordering or where we will be dining?

I used two at one time. Allears and the Dis boards menus (but don't go through the links on the Dis, for some reason it kept saying there were no menus for this restaurant at this time. Better to do a search with wdw in it. For example: Boma menu wdw: then look for the links with wdw.info.com***)

I used the two because Dis menus included info on whether it took the dining plan, how many credits and/or Tiw card, plus it included children's menu info where as Allears did not include any of these but their menus were much more extensive. I would look at the Dis and mark on the spread sheet all the credits and Tiw and kid's menu, then switch to Allears for picking out the adult choices.

ETA: the link at the top of the forum seems to be working for the Dis menus!

Good to know! The savings is huge with both the Dining Plan and the TiW.

Another question (you can tell me to stop bothering you), the "total cost" line on the DxDDP added approx $800 to the plan. Is that really how much the tax on the plan is? That's about 26% tax.

TIA
"Total Cost" takes the following into account: Plan cost, out of pocket items (plus tax on those), and gratuities across all meals and snacks. If you want, you can ship the sheet on over to the email address contained within (just remove any personal info from it, not that there's places for personal info, but I write that as a disclaimer anyway :p) and I can take a look at it. I test it with my trips, which are solo so the data may not be as full as ideal.

And I'd never stop someone from "bothering" me, if anything, I'd just ignore them and move on :p. Besides, with my web-version under development, you're providing me with different things to think about in terms of UI and such :).

I use 3, AllEars.net is my "go-to" one. Second, I will use the menus available for some restaurants on the Disney official site*. Last I may look at the menus on the DIS.

*To get to these, simply go to http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/ and click "Where to Eat" at the top. When that comes up, look to the right side for the Restaurant List, and click "Go". This will bring up a horribly designed list of all the restaurants in the world. Click the filters along the left to filter them down. When selecting the restaurant, I'd advice to Right Click and open in a new tab for each restaurant, otherwise, the horribly designed list will lose the filter when you click the back button, and then you'll have to drill down again.

For the DIS menus, I suggest clicking on Restaurants rather than Menus, their menu search can be wonky. Also, for any buffets and the like, they're going to give you the crappy "buckets" that the WDW official site gives you, and those are 100% useless.

I have to add to the praise! :cheer2::cheer2::thanks::worship:

I had been using this other spreadsheet that I found on the other board that let you compare one dining plan against OOP or TiW, and that was working ok for deciding on dining plan at all. But THIS is beyond my wildest dreams!

Question, although I think it's obvious I will ask anyway. The meal details are per person right? So if I am entering data in Meal 1 for Artist Point for 2 people, I should add up the totals for both adults? It doesn't multiply the meal details by the number of people?

Thanks again!

I have to add to the praise! :cheer2::cheer2::thanks::worship:

I had been using this other spreadsheet that I found on the other board that let you compare one dining plan against OOP or TiW, and that was working ok for deciding on dining plan at all. But THIS is beyond my wildest dreams!

Question, although I think it's obvious I will ask anyway. The meal details are per person right? So if I am entering data in Meal 1 for Artist Point for 2 people, I should add up the totals for both adults? It doesn't multiply the meal details by the number of people?

Thanks again!
Thanks :), just wait to see what's coming in the not too distant future ;). (Unfortuantely, that was pretty mean of me to tease that in, since it's not even ready to share screenshots of yet...)

You are correct with the meal details. The only "multiply by number of people" that goes on is the credit related stuff and the dining plan costs themselves. The individual pieces of the meals and such should be added together. After all, you're probably not likely to order the same exact thing :).

---
I think some stuff is off with the TiW calculations right now, it's a pretty buggy area so use it with care (especially the combination of dining plans and TiW). I started to fix it, but instead I'm getting work done on the web-based version (for which, I'm also having trouble with TiW calculations... who would have thought that a flat 20% off would be the more difficult to get right?) So, take TiW stuff with a grain of salt for now...preferably around the rim of a glass...and a lime....

I finally figured this spreadsheet out! I wasn't multiplying each item by the number of people for each meal, lol. Once I did that, I show that by us using the DxDP this September, we'll save roughly 32%!! And looking at some of the costs of the meals we've got planned, I'll be glad to just hand over my KTTW card instead of my debit card! Thank you so much for the spreadsheet!

OMGs!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

All the work you had to do for this. It has come in sooooooooooo handy. And the part where you can reconfigure for free dining!!! just THANK YOU so much!!

I love seeing all the numbers this way, but I'm kind of torn. Because if I'm paying OOP, we won't eat the way we do on DxDP, so it's really hard to compare. If we eat like the DxDP, then obviously dining plan saves money. Decisions, decisions... :)

LOVE seeing the numbers like this though!

I love seeing all the numbers this way, but I'm kind of torn. Because if I'm paying OOP, we won't eat the way we do on DxDP, so it's really hard to compare. If we eat like the DxDP, then obviously dining plan saves money. Decisions, decisions... :)

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. I love Cafeen's spreadsheet!

I figured out and imputed what we would order on the DxDP, then went back and refigured what we would do if we paid OOP. There was about a $500 difference. That's the beauty of this spreadsheet, you can use different numbers. In the end, we still come out ahead with the DxDP. Who knew, until we saw the numbers.

I finally figured this spreadsheet out! I wasn't multiplying each item by the number of people for each meal, lol. Once I did that, I show that by us using the DxDP this September, we'll save roughly 32%!! And looking at some of the costs of the meals we've got planned, I'll be glad to just hand over my KTTW card instead of my debit card! Thank you so much for the spreadsheet!
Yep, adding the items together then inputting them in is the way to go :). This method allows the most flexibility and simulated realism across what you may order.

:thumbsup2

OMGs!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

All the work you had to do for this. It has come in sooooooooooo handy. And the part where you can reconfigure for free dining!!! just THANK YOU so much!!
Ahh, more praise. I love it! :p

In all reality, I made it mostly for myself and then shared it, so it really wasn't THAT big of a deal. The only part that I didn't really make for myself is the TiW section (which may explain why it's the buggiest :p). Very seriously though, thank you :)

The different itineraries are made specifically with that in mind. Since, even at the most basic level, you may skip desserts at least at the CS locations if you're not on a plan, they aren't really savings by getting them. Now, if you want them, but wouldn't pay for them, that's a subjective decision to make and the sheet at least offers the knowledge of roughly what you'd be spending/saving by going with that.

DxDDP is a beast, I've done it twice so far (and the 3rd time coming up in less than 2 months! :goodvibes) and for sure, you aren't going to eat like that when paying OOP. What I do, is compare the OOP cost with the cost on DxDDP and in my case, it's typically more with DxDDP. I then take a look at the difference and decide if the amount of increased experiences, food, etc is worth that increase. Lastly, I check the DxDDP savings to make sure that I'm not losing money by following that pattern.

So basically, as an example, my 2012 trip on Free Dining (this is the 2nd year I've used it in the past 4 yearly trips, since I normally travel solo), it'll cost me roughly $650 for the DxDDP itinerary. I can get away OOP for about $500. However, for that $150 increase, I am getting roughly $1,250 worth of food and experience. So, obviously for me, it's worth it. Even paid DxDDP it would be about a $500 difference, for roughly $750 worth of food and experience, and for me, I'd be prone to do that as well.

(As a note, since I'm solo, my raw dollars are less for both cost and savings, it's about 15% savings though, so it's still decent, and that's spending a couple credits at QS and leaving 4 credits sitting there doing nothing)

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. I love Cafeen's spreadsheet!

I figured out and imputed what we would order on the DxDP, then went back and refigured what we would do if we paid OOP. There was about a $500 difference. That's the beauty of this spreadsheet, you can use different numbers. In the end, we still come out ahead with the DxDP. Who knew, until we saw the numbers.
Of course I mind!

JK :p

You are more than welcome to bring me more people to praise me....

I mean, spread your experience with the sheet to help people. Yup, that's it :p.

I just filled in my spread sheet (thanks - you are amazing!!!) but now I realize that allears has tax included in their prices, so it has kind of been added in twice. Do you get the actual menu prices from a different site you would like to recommend?:thumbsup2

I just filled in my spread sheet (thanks - you are amazing!!!) but now I realize that allears has tax included in their prices, so it has kind of been added in twice. Do you get the actual menu prices from a different site you would like to recommend?:thumbsup2

I never knew that about the all ears site!!

Well, sigh, need to pass on this little tid bit. Better to download and save the spreadsheet to your computer instead of accidentally using the "view" feature and assuming because it needed to download then it automatically saves all your hard work when your computer does an auto restart for updates. Otherwise, you will have to start over. :crazy2:

Don't ask how I discovered this...

Just wanting to add more praise and thanks for your awesome sheet! It did take a while to complete bit it was well worth it because in the end I end up saving 15% by doing the DDP (TIW is about the same for me, FYI, I'm just going with DDP to eliminate all decisions on cost).

The only thing I had to tweak at all (because the numbers weren't adding up and it was making me crazy) was that we have several ADR's that have tax included in the price (character breakfasts) so with the tax being added in again at the bottom of the sheet (totals by meal "type") it made the numbers off. Once I figured that out it all added up perfectly.

Thank you so much for your hard work on this! It is AMAZING!

now thats a spreadsheet! i started my own basic one to get values.. then I found this.. info overload, but it will tell you if ddp is worth it!

Great job!

wow - this is amazing. I will definitely use this on future trips instead of the basic spreadsheets I come up with myself. I thought I was a spreadsheet queen - but man I'm a raw amateur beside this work of art.

I want this spreadsheet!! I downloaded it but it says it wont open!! I NEED THIS!!! Please help. I have no idea what to do

WOW! So I tried making my own spreadsheet, got a headache and decided to google it. I'm so glad I did!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

You are the spreadsheet master!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter