BWV and scooters in hallways

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Rhoades

Mouseketeer
Just got back from a 9 day trip from BWV. This was our 5th stay at this resort and I dont remember seeing this before. There was on the fifth floor multiple electric scooters plugged in in the hallway. It gave a poor visual appearance and reminded you of being in a nursing home. I cant imagine this should be allowed as they should have to pull them into their room. There was even one directly outside my door for the length of my stay and the way my room was situated, there wasnt another door within 20 feet.

I realize this seems petty, but it annoyed me bc of how it looked. Am I off base that they should have to go into the hotel room with the person using it?

Just got back from a 9 day trip from BWV. This was our 5th stay at this resort and I dont remember seeing this before. There was on the fifth floor multiple electric scooters plugged in in the hallway. It gave a poor visual appearance and reminded you of being in a nursing home. I cant imagine this should be allowed as they should have to pull them into their room. There was even one directly outside my door for the length of my stay and the way my room was situated, there wasnt another door within 20 feet.

I realize this seems petty, but it annoyed me bc of how it looked. Am I off base that they should have to go into the hotel room with the person using it?
Totally agree with you. I hope you say something post trip!

There is always the possibility that it does not fit in the room. We recently went to Spain and they are not ADA compliant. We had to put suitcases on top of scooter inorder for it to be in the room with us.

I just don't buy it and ADA compliance isn't the issue..(btw ADA is AMERICANS with disabilities act... so I don’t know why Spain would factor in. ) If ADA compliance is that much of an issue then people need to book those rooms)

The problem, as a whole, is that people at WDW are using scooters and just don't need them. (FYI... SSR Bus stops are the worst and there we’ve seen family members trading off the scooters etc. )

My goofy SIL is the perfect example. She's in her thirties...has no medical issues & goes to WDW (Not with me...mind you., I just wouldn’t go with her) and uses a scooter because she's just plain lazy and entitled and doesn't want to walk. There's absolutely nothing wrong with her and while my 78 year old MIL is walking all day..SIL is in a scooter because it's easier. (I will not share my real thoughts on that and it's becoming the mindset of many many people nowadays.) and really...what is she teaching her kid??...(Who now wants to ride in the scooter all day long).

Now...I don't have any issue at all with people who need them. Mobility issues, elderly etc.. But people who don't need them are using them, renting them and they just don't care how it inconveniences other people or how it appears.....Good Grief.

I kinda wish Disney would put the scooter restriction on scooters in place like they did with the humongous strollers....

:tink:

Last edited:
I just don't buy it and ADA compliance isn't the issue.....(If ADA compliance is that much of an issue then people need to book those rooms)

The problem, as a whole, is that people at WDW are using scooters and just don't need them. (FYI... SSR Bus stops. They're just terrible.)

My goofy SIL is the perfect example. She's in her thirties...has no medical issues & goes to WDW (Not with me...mind you) and uses a scooter because she's just lazy and doesn't want to walk. There's absolutely nothing wrong with her and while my 78 year old MIL is walking...SIL is in a scooter because it's easier. (I will not share my real thoughts on that and it's becoming the mindset of many many people nowadays.) and really...what is she teaching her kid??...(Who now wants to ride in the scooter all day long).

Now...I don't have any issue at all with people who need them. But people who don't need them are using them, renting them and they just don't care how it inconveniences other people or how it appears.....Good Grief.

I kinda wish Disney would put the scooter restriction in place like they did with the humongous strollers....

I agree with everything you said. It really irks me when people feign a disability. I would think those living with a disability and having to deal with finding elevators, accessible walkways, etc. is no freaking fun. Then you have able bodied lazy people scooting around cause for them it is fun. I wish something could be done but I don't believe with HIPPA Disney can legally ask for proof of a disability. So, people that don't need a mobility aid will continue to abuse it.

I just want to add, I am in no way speaking to people with invisible mobility issue. For those that need it, I am happy that they are able to have a more enjoyable time and access the same stuff I can at WDW.

I just don't buy it and ADA compliance isn't the issue..(btw ADA is AMERICANS with disabilities act... so I don’t know why Spain would factor in. ) If ADA compliance is that much of an issue then people need to book those rooms)

The problem, as a whole, is that people at WDW are using scooters and just don't need them. (FYI... SSR Bus stops are the worst and there we’ve seen family members trading off the scooters etc. )

My goofy SIL is the perfect example. She's in her thirties...has no medical issues & goes to WDW (Not with me...mind you., I just wouldn’t go with her) and uses a scooter because she's just plain lazy and entitled and doesn't want to walk. There's absolutely nothing wrong with her and while my 78 year old MIL is walking all day..SIL is in a scooter because it's easier. (I will not share my real thoughts on that and it's becoming the mindset of many many people nowadays.) and really...what is she teaching her kid??...(Who now wants to ride in the scooter all day long).

Now...I don't have any issue at all with people who need them. Mobility issues, elderly etc.. But people who don't need them are using them, renting them and they just don't care how it inconveniences other people or how it appears.....Good Grief.

I kinda wish Disney would put the scooter restriction on scooters in place like they did with the humongous strollers....

Wow! I know exactly what ADA is and i was just explaining that the rooms are so small in Spain that it barely fit in there and maybe they had studios and it didnt fit in there. But anyway, I understand there are people like your SIL, and shame on her, however there are one's like myself who do have medical issues and may not "look disabled" that have to have them. Shame on your SIL for doing this, it's people like her that made Disney make it harder for people like myself to get on rides. I don't know how it's easier to be in a scooter, it causes me a lot of anxiety because people just walk in front of you, and it's very hard to get around in them. Not sure how it inconveniences ones, but I will pray for patience for you and hope you never have to be in one or a wheel chair. I for one would rather walk and stand in line like i use too and run around the parks. But it's not going to happen. I wish Disney made people show proof of their disability, but that will never happen for legal issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m annoyed by the scooters (all over the hallways when we went in 2018), but I do enjoy it when my wife gets that twinkle in her eyes and a silly grin as the thought of a joy ride passes through her head ...

I’ve always chalked up the scooter issue a BWV to three things: (1) overall lack of space in the studios/room layout (e.g. scooter honestly won’t fit); (2) lack of a convenient outlet in the room (not sure how long the cords are on a mobility scooter); and (3) people who want to inconvenience others because they want their vacation as convenient as possible for themselves.

I think 1 and 2 are legit issues. Our one bedroom last time was more than big enough for a scooter, but a studio or a larger room with an odd entrance might pose a problem. There isn’t a good solution for #1 unless you had a CM valet situation. #2 could be easily remedied by Disney. And I have no tolerance for #3. If you have space for a scooter inside the room, if you have a convenient outlet for the scooter inside the room, then keep it inside the room.

Watching the slow methodical Scooter takeover of the world is so frustrating. I try to be nice and not question people's abilities, but when you see a Scooter jockey jump in front of 20 people standing in-line for a bus, stand up and walk over to sit with no impairment, watch the bus driver waste 10-15 minutes buckling the Scooter down, and then playing on their phone as people that could have used that space wait for the next bus... it just ruins it for people that really need them.

Sooner or later this Scooter nonsense is going to blow up. Buses, Running over people, Blocking Hallways now. It's well past time Disney. You obviously know where this is headed.

walle-e-humans-in-the-spaceship.jpg

I hope you never need a scooter, let me change that. I kinda hope you do need one, just so you know what it's like. The halls are full of scooters because the rooms are too small to get them in the unit. Poor planing by DVC when they designed the units. I'm sure anyone that has to use a scooter would gladly trade places with you.

It kind of reminds me of Wall-E. We will end up a generation of non walkers.

Watching the slow methodical Scooter takeover of the world is so frustrating. I try to be nice and not question people's abilities, but when you see a Scooter jockey jump in front of 20 people standing in-line for a bus, stand up and walk over to sit with no impairment, watch the bus driver waste 10-15 minutes buckling the Scooter down, and then playing on their phone as people that could have used that space wait for the next bus... it just ruins it for people that really need them.

Sooner or later this Scooter nonsense is going to blow up. Buses, Running over people, Blocking Hallways now. It's well past time Disney. You obviously know where this is headed.

walle-e-humans-in-the-spaceship.jpg
You and I think alike. It's hard for Disney to "crack down" on this though. Sometimes people sincerely need scooters but look able bodied enough. The way I look at things is to assume to best in people. I'm at Disney and not at home. What's another 10 minutes for the next bus.
I did notice quite a few at SSR on our last trip. One thing that did happen was a family that had two scooters couldn't board the bus, as one spot on the bus was already taken up by a scooter. So sometimes having a scooter can be a bit of an inconvenience too.

I hope you never need a scooter, let me change that. I kinda hope you do need one, just so you know what it's like. The halls are full of scooters because the rooms are too small to get them in the unit. Poor planing by DVC when they designed the units. I'm sure anyone that has to use a scooter would gladly trade places with you.
That makes sense. My worry would be from a safety point of view having to dodge scooter obstacles in the hallways in an evacuation situation.
I wonder if Disney couldn't create a scooter parking lot at the hotel?

That makes sense. My worry would be from a safety point of view having to dodge scooter obstacles in the hallways in an evacuation situation.
I wonder if Disney couldn't create a scooter parking lot at the hotel?
I think logistically this would be tough. Because there are some people that wouldn't be able to walk from the parking area to their room disney would have to provide staff to take the scooters back and forth.

I think logistically this would be tough. Because there are some people that wouldn't be able to walk from the parking area to their room disney would have to provide staff to take the scooters back and forth.
I thought of that... maybe bell services, or someone able bodied in their party going to drop off and pick up. Just in the rooms that are too small to accommodate them. I realize it won't happen. But if it became a problem. Or maybe foldable scooters???? Like strollers.

I know I might take heat for this but am I the only one to notice that many people who use these scooters are "large"?

I know I might take heat for this but am I the only one to notice that many people who use these scooters are "large"?
There may be some guests on scooters that are heavy. As someone who has lost about 50 pounds, I can tell you I had a LOT of chronic pain that dissipated when changing to a low fat, moderate carb, moderate protein diet.

But losing weight is a lot more than just changing one’s diet. It is difficult and much more of an emotional and psychological battle than physical. When I finally chose to change my habits I was desperate and probably not far off from making some changes or giving up Disney or other activities.

And yes, you will get a lot of heat for that statement.

Excercise is a great way to keep weight under control. And if you have mobility issues and can't walk? Cause and effect might easily be reversed from what you are thinking. ie, they can't walk so it's quite easy to gain weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!