Buying cheap versus buying where you want to stay

Sorry to post again, but I just wanted to add that this message board is a fantastic resource for getting information and perspectives. I’ve learned so much in a short amount of time that has shaped my view on DVC. However, I want to add that my biggest suggestion is “you do you,” because I’m positive no one here (including myself) walks in your exact same shoes. Use the advise to be informed and then do what you think is best. Good luck!

Sorry to post again, but I just wanted to add that this message board is a fantastic resource for getting information and perspectives. I’ve learned so much in a short amount of time that has shaped my view on DVC. However, I want to add that my biggest suggestion is “you do you,” because I’m positive no one here (including myself) walks in your exact same shoes. Use the advise to be informed and then do what you think is best. Good luck!
Totally on board with this- I'm a DVC newbie- bought BLT direct this year and currently in ROFR for a VGF resale. I've been reading this board for months, and it has truly been a priceless resource to making sense of what sometimes feels like an infinitely complicated, expensive, and awesome product. There have been so many topics of meaningful discussion (UY implications; Renting vs Buying; Dir vs Resale; SAP vs buy where you want to stay; 2042 Considerations to name a few), that its taken me time not only to understand the issues, but truly absorb them as my initial inclinations have often changed when making final decisions.

I'm positive some (through their own lenses) would find fault with the DVC path I'm choosing, but I'm very grateful to this forum for enabling me to make informed decisions on such consequential purchases. I hope to pay it forward and contribute constructively where I can as my journey continues.

We bought without staying at any DVC resort, based on wanting a certain number of points, picked cheaper resorts to get that amount within a budget amount we were comfortable with. More points are better!

we also never book before 7 months and my goal is to stay at every resort. Why would I go to the same resort every year? Can’t figure that out.

Owning for 10 years have never had trouble booking 1 and 2 bedrooms for 7-10 day trips at 7 months but we don’t go at peak times and don’t book studios.

“buy where you want to stay” is good simple advice but does not fit every member.

Hope you figure out what makes sense for you. Good luck!

BCV and BWV are getting tougher to get in the 7 month window. True one bedrooms book up last and are usually available, but things are still tight in 7 months. I would by a mix of epcot resorts on resale, with either SSR, OKW or AKV on resale. Although with OKW and SSR resale prices, for a small contract direct might be better there to get you the blue card

Buy cheap and buy MORE. Whatever your budget is, take into account how many points that is between two resorts (use Poly vs SSR) for example.

150 at Poly = 210 at SSR. This difference could be enough to take you from a studio to a 1 BR at quite a few locations at the 7 month window.

If you are looking at 1BR point totals at BCV/BWV, 225 at BCV/BWV = 279 points at SSR. In some instances that could take you from a 1BR to a 2BR.

Personal experience, we bought at SSR and have already stayed at BLT and AKV (savannah) and have BWV and GFV rooms booked for our next trip.

What is everyone's opinion on buying where you want to stay (for us thats BCV/BWV resale) versus buying direct at RIV (longer expiration date/no restrictions) versus buying cheap (SSP/AKV)?
The usual advice is "buy where you want to stay." But I prefer the slightly easier-to-satisfy: "don't buy where you wouldn't be happy to stay." If you can see yourself enjoying SSR but would sometimes prefer other places, that's enough to be able to buy there IMO. If you can't imagine enjoying SSR, that's a different story.

The usual advice is "buy where you want to stay." But I prefer the slightly easier-to-satisfy: "don't buy where you wouldn't be happy to stay." If you can see yourself enjoying SSR but would sometimes prefer other places, that's enough to be able to buy there IMO. If you can't imagine enjoying SSR, that's a different story.

That’s a good way to look at it.

This is also worth thinking about. I didn't get into timeshares so I could keep staying in hotel rooms---and DVC studios are basically just hotel rooms. I'm a big fan of the villas, and in DVC 1BRs are typically 2x the points required for a studio.

This is what I did. If moving up to a 1BR is the difference between having more resort choices or not, I will spend the points because I have them. In doing so, I have greater flexibility in choosing my resort and I at least get better accommodations.

This is what I did. If moving up to a 1BR is the difference between having more resort choices or not, I will spend the points because I have them. In doing so, I have greater flexibility in choosing my resort and I at least get better accommodations.
This was also my thinking (although I will admit I haven't put it into practice). I went with 200 points at HHI because points seem to be going up across the board, so getting 200 points in the bank at $80 each now seems like a good idea. Granted, there are the ever-present differences in MF's, but as I've said elsewhere, my first choice on property would be OKW (I like the space, and I honestly don't think being off the Monorail or Skyliner is a huge negative. I sorta like being a boat ride from DS). The difference in MF's is about $300 per year. I can survive that all day.

I WILL, however, start looking very soon for a small contract at OKW just to be sure I have an on-property home resort. In the meantime, I have enough points to go 1BR at more than a couple of places at the 7 month window, especially during our preferred travel period of February through June (and very flexible within that window). And, I saved $8,000 on the points, so I have a little dough banked to address those higher MF's for a while.

Each contract we have purchased was done with the buy where you want to stay approach.
As noted, during popular times many resorts are very difficult to change to at 7 months (specifically BWV and BC during F&W and others).
If you just want a room and don't care where you stay, buying cheap works.
Also, be sure to get enough points. Before we purchased, we had planned to stay only in studios, but had enough points for a 1 BR if we wanted. Everything I read said don't do a 1BR because you won't want to go back to a studio. After staying in a 1 BR, rarely do we go back to the studio. They were correct. So much wisdom in these boards.

Last edited:

And keep in mind that you'll be able to stay somewhere else with frequency - but not necessarily your first or second choice resort in your first choice of rooms during your first or second choice time. So you might get that BWV room....but a standard view studio at F&W isn't likely - a one bedroom preferred view in mid-April - probably. Or maybe this trip you can't get into an Epcot resort, but there is a Poly studio open......Or you can get your last two nights at BWV, but you'll have to move mid trip. So you will get to stay at BWV or BCV, just not every trip, and you may need to book a one bedroom, or move. You can stay at VGC - which is really difficult to get - but you might want to stalk the website and get the room BEFORE you buy airfare and book those vacation days at work. We stay at HHI with our BWV points - but we don't try that over the Summer months - we are there in February, when the island is deserted. The more flexible you are, the more satisfied you will be owning a resort you don't mind staying at. The more upset you are can't stay at an Epcot resort in a studio over Food and Wine booking at seven months, the more you'll regret not buying BWV/BCV to start with.

I want to take a poll. How many "Buy where you want to stay"er's are BCV and BWV owners?

We've done it in the past - and the percentage of BCV/BWV owners who stay at home more often than not is much higher than most other resorts. Which simply leaves less room at those two resorts for other people. VGC and VGF also, IIRC have really high "I almost always stay at my home resort" numbers. And a lot of those BWV/BCV buy where you want to stay'ers have bought their BCV/BWV contract as a second contract when they couldn't get into BWV/BCV, so its the voice of experience.

(We just ended up with BWV because it was a resale contract that I got a deal on back when it was OKW/BWV and VWL - and VWL was new and still actively sold and therefore resales were REALLY expensive - like $70 a point!)

Some people believe its possible that RIV will take some of the pressure off BWV and BCV - being near Epcot and on the Skyliner. I don't think it will since it is still transportation away - and transportation that is problematic during Florida's frequent thunderstorms, and because the point charts are higher. You can stay in a BCV studio for 16 points a night in May and walk into Epcot and DHS and have access to SAB - or you can stay in a RIV studio for 20 points a night and still be Skyliner dependent to those two parks It doesn't make sense that RIV will have a significant long term pull away from BCV and - to a lesser extent (no SAB) BWV.

This is also worth thinking about. I didn't get into timeshares so I could keep staying in hotel rooms---and DVC studios are basically just hotel rooms. I'm a big fan of the villas, and in DVC 1BRs are typically 2x the points required for a studio.
Yep, before buying DVC I was booking 2 deluxe rooms, so buying resale back in the ‘dark ages’ when that also got you blue card benefits in order to stay in larger villas at a lower cost was my goal. We’ve never stayed in a studio that wasn’t part of our lock off 2 br.. My days of sardines packed into one room are thankfully a distant memory, I like having space & am grateful I can afford it.

We've done it in the past - and the percentage of BCV/BWV owners who stay at home more often than not is much higher than most other resorts.

Little by little it will increase long term unless it becomes cheaper.

Need to remember most owners bought 10-20+ years ago.

This is a critical point. And related to the imbalance we see at 7 months due to popularity. If every DVC was equally popular, then there would be equal availability at 7 months...
But in reality -- Tons of SSR/OKW owners flood the demand at 7 months, looking to book anyplace except SSR and OKW..
While very very few GFV or BCV owners are looking to book at SSR/OKW at 7 months.

If GFV is your preferred resort: If you buy GFV points, then you are virtually guaranteed GFV. If you go cheap with SSR points in order to use them at GFV, you're gambling. You saved money buying the cheaper points, but you're effectively entering a lottery at 7-months as to where to use them.

Beyond not getting what you truly want, there is also another danger of "buying cheap" actually becoming more costly:
Lots of talk on this thread about good availability of 1 bedrooms at 7 months.
Very true. But 1 bedrooms are darn expensive on points.
Do you really want a 1 bedroom at BCV, GFV, RIV.. etc.... or you're booking it because it's the only thing available at 7 months?

For example, if I were to book a standard studio tonight at Riviera -- 17 points. But if the only thing available is a 1 bedroom preferred-- That's 45 points per night!
Buying 17 direct points at Riviera is actually much cheaper than buying 45 resale points at SSR!

So I'd say, "Don't buy where you won't want to stay"... but I'd add: Even if there is 7 month availability in 1 bedrooms, "don't buy sleep-around points unless you want to pay 1 bedroom premiums."

The "cheapest" DVC investment is really buying enough for standard studios in your preferred resort. If you buy outside your preferred resort, you're forced to purchase extra to afford 1 BR preferred views.

This is a critical point. And related to the imbalance we see at 7 months due to popularity. If every DVC was equally popular, then there would be equal availability at 7 months...
But in reality -- Tons of SSR/OKW owners flood the demand at 7 months, looking to book anyplace except SSR and OKW..
While very very few GFV or BCV owners are looking to book at SSR/OKW at 7 months.

If GFV is your preferred resort: If you buy GFV points, then you are virtually guaranteed GFV. If you go cheap with SSR points in order to use them at GFV, you're gambling. You saved money buying the cheaper points, but you're effectively entering a lottery at 7-months as to where to use them.

Beyond not getting what you truly want, there is also another danger of "buying cheap" actually becoming more costly:
Lots of talk on this thread about good availability of 1 bedrooms at 7 months.
Very true. But 1 bedrooms are darn expensive on points.
Do you really want a 1 bedroom at BCV, GFV, RIV.. etc.... or you're booking it because it's the only thing available at 7 months?

For example, if I were to book a standard studio tonight at Riviera -- 17 points. But if the only thing available is a 1 bedroom preferred-- That's 45 points per night!
Buying 17 direct points at Riviera is actually much cheaper than buying 45 resale points at SSR!

So I'd say, "Don't buy where you won't want to stay"... but I'd add: Even if there is 7 month availability in 1 bedrooms, "don't buy sleep-around points unless you want to pay 1 bedroom premiums."

The "cheapest" DVC investment is really buying enough for standard studios in your preferred resort. If you buy outside your preferred resort, you're forced to purchase extra to afford 1 BR preferred views.

It would be interesting to see what availability was like if all resorts were the same size. Currently it's the largest resorts that have availability remaining the longest. And even PVB which actually is a popular resort has shown it will have availability longer as it has a lot of one room size.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter