buying a new matress

deezeealum

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any good ideas on where to get a new b udget friendly yet comfy matress? We have to replace our quenn size bed and don't want to bust the budget but also want to amke sure its good quality. The last matress we bought for our bed was 10 yrs ago and we spent approx. $1000 and don't want to spend that again. Thanks in advance

Sorry, I can't help you because I'm in a similar situation. I'll be watching this thread closely.

Having said that, I was reading an article recently that stated you may not want to go too budget on this purchase because of the amount of time spent sleeping and how much your body can be affected by a poor mattress. The article also said that if you do the match a mattress really only costs pennies per night of use ($1000 divided by 3650 nights = $0.28 per night). :confused3

We just purchased a new Tempurpedic Cloud set and I am still trying to decide if I like it. We can exchange it after 21 days, but before 90 days, but we can only get something equal or higher in value and have to pay a $250 fee. We got it because it felt great in the store and I had read such great things about it being good for lower back pain. Every morning, except for today, for the past week I have woken up with lower back pain! I am just hoping it will get better soon because it was not a cheap purchase.
When out shopping, I did see a lot of spring mattresses well under $1000. If you don't need a new box spring, it will be even cheaper to just buy the mattress. Most local mattress stores make their own type of mattress that is usually less expensive than the name brand.

We recently spent $700 on a new queen set from Sears. Our old mattress was probably 25 yrs old :scared1:. I am happy with the new set :). Of course the other mattress was pretty worn out :banana: :laughing:.

Try American Signiture furniture they have thier own brand which looked much better then other brands for the price and the prices were very reasonable.

I got ripped off I mean bought one from a big chain that only sells mattresses a few years ago....

Mattresses are like engagement rings its who you want to ripped of by.....however with mattresses you can use coupons on the major brands in most major stores.

My parents are looking into Sleep Number...it'll be a pricey purchase for them.

I would suggest Costco or Sams...we were at Costco this weekend and they stock name brand matress/box spring sets for under $1000 in queen and king size. :)

Good luck!

ugh. We need to buy a new mattress too. DH and I both have horrible back pain every day. The problem is we really don't know what would help.

I'll be keeping an eye on the suggestions here.

We were in desperate need of a new mattress. DH been recently told he has spinal stenosis. Our old set didn't last 5 years and had huge dips. Tried the Tempurpedics but refuse to pay that much, and didn't like the high pressure salesman. Went to IKEA and they were like cement slabs! Stopped by Bob's to try his version of the Tempurpedic, and was pleasantly surprised. Did some research and found that they have had numerous complaints with bedbugs also being delivered with the mattress. Decided on purchasing from www.bedinabox.com I got a 11" memory foam with a platform foundation for less than $1000. I have issues with my stairwell, so this was a perfect solution. Took less than a week to ship. Took 2 people to carry it up the stairs. We are still getting used to not having a spring mattress, but it has been fabulous so far. So happy with our purchase. Can't believe it all came in a box as big as a steel drum.:thumbsup2

Another vote for Costco. We bought a mattress w/o any pillow-top. For what it's worth - we prefer a firm mattress for our backs. Soft just makes our spines have to conform to the mattress' curve.
Grew up with Sealy and they lasted 20+ years. Have had this Sealy about 5 years (maybe more) and it is still in great shape.
Good luck!

We did A LOT of research when we bought our new mattress 4 years ago. We had to replace our second queen set in 16 years due to settling and dips. My dh has a bad back, and the mattress made it substantially worse.

Basically what we found was that it is really difficult to purchase a decent mattress w/o spending some decent cash. With mattreses, you really get what you pay for. We also found that with basically ANY spring mattress, you will get settling and dips in the mattress which can aggrevate back problems.

For us the decision came down to a high quality spring or spring/foam top, and deal with settling, or foam...then which brand.

We ended up purchasing a Tempurpedic for around $1800. Nowhere near the top of the line, but we did purchase the name brand. It was around the same price we would have had to pay to get a decent spring mattress, at the time.

I have to say, purchasing the Tempurpedic, although it was tough to spend the money, was one of the best purchases we have ever made. My dh has many fewer issues with his back, and my hips no longer hurt when I get up in the morning. We both sleep great, as there is very little motion transferred when the other person moves, and you tend to move less in general during speep, because there are no pressure points from springs. And, in 4 years, there is no sign of settling, and no need to flip the mattress, which is a big help to me because our bedroom is really tight space-wise.

Granted, the Tempurpedic isn't for everyone, but I would not hesitate to purchase another if I ever need to replace the one we have now.

When you are purchasing a mattress, you have to really consider how much you are willing to pay for a good night's sleep, and how often you are willing to replace your purchase. Do not forget to figure replacement cost into the equation.

Do not by a Vera Wang mattress!

We bought one about 2 years ago from our furniture store. They only carry one type of mattress, and everyone raved about them (this is an independent store - not a chain). Turns out we bought our mattress the week they switched brands - and the new brand was Vera Wang.

Horrible horrible horrible!

And not cheap either.

It was the biggest mistake we made. And, unfortunately, we're going to have to live with it for at least the next 10 years.

The mattress felt great in the showroom, but was terrible within 6 months.

Do not go to Weekend's Only. We did well at Mattress Giant.

The mattress stores around here are negotiable. Kind of like buying a car:rotfl2:. However if you go to sams, costco, jcpenny - you pay the tag price.

Yeah mattresses are pricey, important, and fairly rare purchases.

I read a fantastic article on the ins and outs on get rich slowly. One of my fav frugality blogs.

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2009/07/17/how-to-buy-a-mattress/

Some really good pointers.

Interesting article but some of his information is incorrect. My family was always a Stearns & Foster family. I currently own 2 of their mattresses and my parents have 2 in a vacation home. They are all inner spring mattresses and have zero latex foam. I am sure they have latex foam mattresses but they also offer plenty of spring mattresses and always have. They are also made by Sealy.

This is my opinion regarding mattresses by someone who has purchased several lately. First of all, I have lost loyalty to any particular company including my beloved s & f. I do disagree with the above article by saying I think Serta is as good as the other brands he mentioned and I think there are also many other good brands. I think you have to buy what feels good to you. When we upgraded to a king we started with a temperpedic and hated it. Then went to a Serta 100%latex foam, I hated it and my DH loved it. We got rid of it recently only because our cat urinated on it. I was secretly glad. My parents gave us their very expensive memory foam (some type of scandanavian brand) mattress that they have only had a couple of years because they hated it. They are in love with their Costco memory foam bed that you must unroll and is like $700. They originally bought one for their other vacation home (yes, they have 3 if you're confused, I know I am). I have friends who have purchased lower end mattresses and think they're great because they feel good to them and they sleep well. It is such an individualized purchase. We are not in,ove with our new hand me down mattress but we really can't afford anything else so it will do for now. I like it better than what we had so I am happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter