Budget wrinkle cream that works??

leahjade

DIS Veteran
I've tried Olay ProX, Loreal and several others, and for the high cost, I don't notice any difference in the reduction of wrinkles. I don't see how they can legally advertise "90% of women see a reduction of fine lines etc". Anyone try any over the counter cream that really works?

I have a prescription for retin a. I've tried everything. I figured if I was going to pay all that money, I'd get the real thing. I just use a very small amount, and just use it every other night and it has lasted me 10 months! I paid $30 copay and it has been worth it. My dermatologist laughed and laughed when I asked for the prescription, and said I didn't need it..but I've been pretty happy with the results.

RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream is one of the best out there for a price that won't break the bank. It's $15 per tube on Amazon. You can buy it at Target for about $5 more. Read the reviews on Amazon. It's good stuff.

Does Retin A take away existing wrinkles or just prevent new ones? I tried Roc but didn't notice any difference - how long did you have to use it? Maybe I'm not using products long enough but I figure after 1 tube and I don't see a change, why buy another of the same product?

Does Retin A take away existing wrinkles or just prevent new ones? I tried Roc but didn't notice any difference - how long did you have to use it? Maybe I'm not using products long enough but I figure after 1 tube and I don't see a change, why buy another of the same product?

I've used both and really didn't notice a big difference.

I've used the retin a for 10 months and I can tell a difference. It isn't something that happens overnight.

I would say it took away fine lines. It also has made my complexion better.

I do wear sunscreen everyday.

My dermatologist gave me a prescription for Differin (adapalene), an alternative to retin-a. It works slowly over time, can't be used near the eyes. I go through slightly more than a small tube a year. I use a serum type of moisturizer closer to my eyes. You might want to check the effectiveness of cosmetic grade moisturizers on Paula Begoun's (The Cosmetic Cop) website before investing in them.

I have also been very pleased with Roc wrinkle cream. I use the night formula and it did take a few weeks before I could tell a difference but I really did notice a change. I decided to try it after reading a review of different creams in More magazine. It listed Roc ahead of other OTC creams. I was very skeptical but pleasantly surprised.

I got so sick of wasting money on over the counter products. They never seemed to work for me. So I took the plunge for my 37th birthday and got botox!! I am so much happier with the results! So worth the money. And for me a little bit went a long way. I spent about 250.00 for my crows feet and all the lines on my forehead (not the 11s). I still have some wrinkles but they arn't as bad as before and still show a little. I can still my face too:rotfl:!

My dermatologist gave me a prescription for Differin (adapalene), an alternative to retin-a. It works slowly over time, can't be used near the eyes. I go through slightly more than a small tube a year. I use a serum type of moisturizer closer to my eyes. You might want to check the effectiveness of cosmetic grade moisturizers on Paula Begoun's (The Cosmetic Cop) website before investing in them.

I use a prescription called Epiduo. Its adapaline and benzoyle peroxide. I like it, I don't really have wrinkles yet but it should be preventative. I hope.
Anyway, you said you can't use around your eyes. I do have sensitivity from using this and when I was using a Neutragina product with retin a for wrinkles.
But, what's the point if not going to use around your eyes? I want to avoid crows feet, so I do use it there, trying to build up my sensitivity.

hmmm,is there anything short of botox,etc that takes away wrinkles that are there? I don't think so....anything that claims to ,it can't be true.... I think coconut oil is very good for the skin....I use it every couple of days....I like Olay 7 vitamin lotion simply b/c it softens and moisturizes so lightly....

I use a prescription called Epiduo. Its adapaline and benzoyle peroxide. I like it, I don't really have wrinkles yet but it should be preventative. I hope.
Anyway, you said you can't use around your eyes. I do have sensitivity from using this and when I was using a Neutragina product with retin a for wrinkles.
But, what's the point if not going to use around your eyes? I want to avoid crows feet, so I do use it there, trying to build up my sensitivity.

Dermatologist's advice was not to use adapaline on the skin between the top of the cheekbone and the eye, or on/near eyelid. She said it would get rid of those fine crepe-like lines below the eye that way, and it did. I use serum to moisturize the area near the eye during the day. Differin is used as a night cream.

FWIW, Differin and Epiduo are both primarily prescribed as anti-acne treatments; my 14 yo has been using them daily for two years. They dry the skin more than they moisturize it (which is obvious when you consider that the primary component is strong peroxide.)

Both of them have recently been targeted by insurance companies for their cost, and are very quickly being eliminated from a lot of formularies. If you pay cash for them you can expect to pay somewhere between $100-150 for a 45 gm. tube (about 1.5 oz.)

I personally cannot touch retin-A; it burns like fire and makes my face so red I look like I'm about to have a coronary. No thanks; I look better with the wrinkles!

IME, the best strategy if you want to reduce the appearance of the wrinkles (you really can't eliminate them with topical treatments, just camouflage them) is to plump up the tissue under the skin, and tighten the skin itself. The best option for the first is drinking lots of water, and for the second, original Preparation H, which these days means the Canadian version, which still has live yeast derivative peptides in it. (Not something that you want to do daily, however, the steroid antinflammatories in it can thin the skin over time.)

If you are a makeup wearer, applying a makeup base that contains dimethicone will help to fill the wrinkles in temporarily, so that the makeup will not settle in them. Best deal for that is the Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel.

As I said, the Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel is an excellent one (it's about $6 at WalMart) ... or you could buy what is essentially the very same thing from Smashbox (Photo Finish Foundation Primer) for about $36. (All of the major dept. store makeup lines have a similar primer product, and all of them charge about that much for it.)

I've tried Olay ProX, Loreal and several others, and for the high cost, I don't notice any difference in the reduction of wrinkles. I don't see how they can legally advertise "90% of women see a reduction of fine lines etc". Anyone try any over the counter cream that really works?
If you read the ads - wrinkle cream doesn't get rid of wrinkles - they just 'reduce the APPEARANCE of fine lines'...

I've used the retin a for 10 months and I can tell a difference. It isn't something that happens overnight.

I would say it took away fine lines. It also has made my complexion better.

I do wear sunscreen everyday.

I've been using retin-a for over a year now (for acne, but was told ppl come asking for it for wrinkles all the time too). I haven't noticed a reduction in either one... I'm probably an anomaly if what he said was true. I really need to go back and try the next thing as I'm pretty unhappy with it but getting an appointment is such a pain. :confused:

Best thing that helped my skin look better was Metrogel. If you noticed most people over 40 have red looking skin. As they get older it gets redder and the pores seem to enlarge. My physician prescribed this and my skin lots and feels calm. I am not a sun lover.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter