Budget cuts at Walt Disney World

Why? Are you talking about Chinese consumers or the experience in general? Because at least from my American perspective of theme parks, this is shaping up to be one of their very best. Easily better than DCA, Epcot, DHS, WDS, and likely HKDL (time will tell). It could end up being one of the best theme parks ever.

http://shanghaiist.com/2016/03/08/shanghai_disneyland_sneak_peek.php

I do agree that it will be interesting on pricing and seeing how the Chinese consumer reacts.

My comment was in response to a post commenting on Disney asking for volunteers to help at the opening.

Just saying that if anyone could talk people into paying for the opportunity to work there, Disney would have found a way to do it.

My comment was in response to a post commenting on Disney asking for volunteers to help at the opening.

Just saying that if anyone could talk people into paying for the opportunity to work there, Disney would have found a way to do it.
Now I get it. ;)

That's not even close to what's happening:

I do agree that it will be interesting on pricing and seeing how the Chinese consumer reacts.

How exactly is this "not even close to what is happening"? Disney is asking for unpaid volunteers to help with the opening, yes? While no one doubts it is going to be a huge undertaking it still is a "volunteer" position. Signifying an unpaid position. Last I checked the College program was paid. SO you have a billion dollar company asking for volunteers? Yes I do think that is exactly what it looks like!

How exactly is this "not even close to what is happening"? Disney is asking for unpaid volunteers to help with the opening, yes? While no one doubts it is going to be a huge undertaking it still is a "volunteer" position. Signifying an unpaid position. Last I checked the College program was paid. SO you have a billion dollar company asking for volunteers? Yes I do think that is exactly what it looks like!
It's their partner doing it. The company is not doing this. The local government state owned corporation is doing it. People doing the college program aren't in it for the money. They're doing it for experience and having it on their resume. This does not show things are hard. This shows that Disney's partners are properly prepping for a massive undertaking. This is not a problem or a negative. This is actually good.

It's their partner doing it. The company is not doing this. The local government state owned corporation is doing it. People doing the college program aren't in it for the money. They're doing it for experience and having it on their resume. This does not show things are hard. This shows that Disney's partners are properly prepping for a massive undertaking. This is not a problem or a negative. This is actually good.[/QUOT

You all assume they will be "volunteers" if the state owned corporation can't find enough people. This is China.

And on another point, many US companies have gotten burned by their Chinese "partners" before...this wouldn't be the 1st time something that seems like a can't fail in China becomes a cluster...

Ohhhh ok I see. They are banking on there being enough people within a close enough radius to travel there. Maybe that's why they decided to build 3 parks that are relatively close together (Toyko,Shanghai, and Hong Kong)?

Having never been to any other parks but WDW and DLR personally Disneyland Paris made the most sense to me..there is a strong enough liklihood of the locals visiting but also you are in a strategic position where you can get tons of outside visitors who can easily make the trek there and even some people from United States and Canada have made the trek out there.

There is something like 350 million people within a 3 hour drive or Disney Shanghai, that can afford to go to it!

(I might be wrong about the 350, but it was a huge number)

DVC is a part of a separate division. WDW has been and will continue being profitable all on its own. DVC makes waves, but nothing like the Billions they make from Admissions, Hotels, and Food/Merch.
DVC is part of the Parks and Resorts Division of Disney.

There is something like 350 million people within a 3 hour drive or Disney Shanghai, that can afford to go to it!

(I might be wrong about the 350, but it was a huge number)
That maybe true but that doesn't mean that they will actually continue to go to the park and be regular visitors which is what the park will need to sustain itself unless tourism can boost it..though I personally don't know what it would take to get to Shanghai if you are a not a resident of that area.

That maybe true but that doesn't mean that they will actually continue to go to the park and be regular visitors which is what the park will need to sustain itself unless tourism can boost it..though I personally don't know what it would take to get to Shanghai if you are a not a resident of that area.

Of course not. Just demographically, it is the equivalent of the entire US (and then some) living within a 3 hour drive of Orlando (might have to change the shape of Florida so people are not living on the water)

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42499686

It all guarantees nothing really, and not knowing anything about Chinese culture, their thoughts on Disney, etc, I can not speculate. Though one would hope with that many people, that close, a theme park could get a lot of traffic.

However, if the entire US lived within a 3 hour drive or train ride of WDW....that place would be PACKED!

Of course not. Just demographically, it is the equivalent of the entire US (and then some) living within a 3 hour drive of Orlando (might have to change the shape of Florida so people are not living on the water)

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42499686

It all guarantees nothing really, and not knowing anything about Chinese culture, their thoughts on Disney, etc, I can not speculate. Though one would hope with that many people, that close, a theme park could get a lot of traffic.

However, if the entire US lived within a 3 hour drive or train ride of WDW....that place would be PACKED!
It sure would be packed. Ugh I was in the middle an estimated amount of 800,000 people not too long ago..wouldn't want that to be the case and be in WDW.

But a large population doesn't mean people will visit a place..at least regularly..You'll see Orlando residents that dont regularly visit WDW they may even have APs but don't visit like you might think they would simply because they live so close.

Shanghai is already a tourist destination.

Shanghai is already a tourist destination.
True, I wasn't really debating whether it was or wasn't. The person was taking the stance..large # of people live near it=large # of locals (at least that's the way I took it) can visit there as the person was comparing the # of people in the U.S. in proximity to WDW. My stance was just because a large # of people live there doesn't automatically mean they will visit regularly to DL (I'm sure that the ones that can will visit at least once just after they open I would too if a new large awesome looking theme park opened near me).

Since it's not open yet no one can really say how well it will do in the long run..and in the long run is what Disney has to think about; it's not just a new ride that they can replace with something else if it fails to draw the regular traffic they were anticipating on.

True, I wasn't really debating whether it was or wasn't. The person was taking the stance..large # of people live near it=large # of locals (at least that's the way I took it) can visit there as the person was comparing the # of people in the U.S. in proximity to WDW. My stance was just because a large # of people live there doesn't automatically mean they will visit regularly to DL (I'm sure that the ones that can will visit at least once just after they open I would too if a new large awesome looking theme park opened near me).

Well I'm not sure citing Disneyland helps your case there given that most of the visitors to that park historically have been locals from a highly populous area...

But really we're not talking about 3 parks in close proximity Tokyo is entirely different country or culture so there won't be that much overlap. So we're really talk at most about 2 parks.

Well I'm not sure citing Disneyland helps your case there given that most of the visitors to that park historically have been locals from a highly populous area...

But really we're not talking about 3 parks in close proximity Tokyo is entirely different country or culture so there won't be that much overlap. So we're really talk at most about 2 parks.
Oh sorry I didn't mean DL in the United States I meant Disneyland Shanghai...I figured since the comments were directed towards Shanghai that if I put DL it would make sense...opps my bad :guilty:

ETA: note to self make sure to write out completely if there is a chance for miscommunication :sad:

DVC is part of the Parks and Resorts Division of Disney.
Indeed. I was talking about Walt Disney World. There are divisions in divisions. For example I could be talking about WDW and then say Disneyland is in a separate division. While both are in the broader subsidiary Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, the Disneyland and WDW divisions are separate.

For all the brands under Walt Disney Parks and Resorts:
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/about/

(Note, Shanghai Disneyland, Hong Kong Disneyland and Disneyland Paris are all just partially owned and operated by two joint venture companies each. Also note that Tokyo Disney Resort is not owned or operated by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, and based off of a licensee model)

I was merely pointing out that as it's own reporting division, WDW is incredibly profitable and even apart from DVC it's still very successful.

This was brought up on wdwmagic about how the cuts have bee looking.

2015 had 28 days of double Festival of Fantasy Parade
2016 will have 4 days of double Festival of Fantasy Parade

2015 had Double MSEP every night throughout Spring
2016 will have 4 days of double MSEP

2015 - Park open at 7am every day during Spring break
2016 - Park open at 9am.

2015 - Park close at 1am during Spring break

2016 - Park open at 9am.

I want to "like" your post, but I just can't do it.............

2016 - Park open at 9am.

You know I've been actively looking this morning for something I can make a positive comment on.

Not helping! :D

2016 - Park open at 9am.

So the real question will become is this budget cuts that are just going to have a big negative impact on guest experience, they are anticipating lower crowds (they have sold far fewer rooms and don't think it will be as busy) meaning much less of an impact on guest experience, or a combination of both?

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter