Broken Arm and real life advice needed

SueOKW

Go Tribe!!!
My nephew - 24 - broke his arm about 5 weeks after his mom (my sis) passed away after a 9 year battle with breast cancer. I say this because I think it's important about where he is mentally etc. I am his only aunt and feel i need to help him.

He had never really started his life after graduating college. He was working but not very energetically and living at home. He moved to LA (from Ohio) only about 2 mos. before his mom died.

OK - so we have a relatively unmotivated kid - who is really mad at himself for leaving when he did etc... he goes back to LA to really start to look for a job and breaks his arm. Turns out he has a cyst - so they can't set it. We have found the cyst is benign (amen) but it will be 3 mos before he can lift anything..

Question - - what can a young man do at home all alone (he's back home with his Dad) during the day to keep from getting too depressed? He can't use his right arm. (He's right handed.) He's journaling a bit on the pc, but i'm looking for something to occupy his time.

Suggestions? Books? Some kind of handiwork? What is there? I do think I will take to OKW with us!! but that's far away.
Sue

Poor guy. At least he has caring family. My suggestion would be to look into online college classes from a reputable institution(someplace with at least regional accredidation). Something to engage his interest, maybe start looking to the future and figuring out what he wants to do. Another possibility would be volunteering as a reader(reading to people with impaired vision) at an assisted living faciltiy or a children's program although someone might have to transport him. It would give him an opportunity to interact with other people and realize he has a future. Good luck and have a great trip to OKW.

He has a degree in photography already, and he insists it's what he wants to do.

I like the reading aloud idea. His mom was a volunteer and a volunteer coordinator for a reading program for many years. Once his pain subsides I will bring it up.

I was going to suggest volunteering too.
Besdies reading, there are lots of other things. I know some places use volunteers to make phone calls. That might not be too difficult even with only using his left arm. United Way has a clearing house for information. It used to be called First Call for Help pretty much where ever you were in the US. It changed recently (I'm not sure what it's called now), but that might be a place to start.
Also with a degree in Photography, if he like working with kids, there might be some opportunities to work with the local schools, YMCA or Boys Clubs teaching/helping kids with photography.

Good luck and lots of pixie dust on the way to him.

thank you - I really appreciate it. I think it will be very important that he do SOMETHING and SOON! :hourglass

I was going to suggest volunteering, how about at an elementary school? They always need help.
I'm sure that there is someone who needs the help that your nephew can give, in giving he will be helping himself. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter