Bring my own stroller vs renting one

Chris Anglin

Mr&MrsAnglin
What are your opinions and experiences with bringing your own stroller vs renting one? We're flying down if that helps.

We rent a stroller. We have two kids but don't have a need for a double stroller anywhere else, especially now that they're not toddlers. When the younger one was 2, we brought an umbrella stroller for the airport for him and the older one walked.

That will depends on how much you value your own stroller. Some rent so they don’t risk their own get wet, stolen or even damaged (during the flight). Depending of your child’s needs, buying a umbrella stroller just for the trip will be cheaper and better than renting.

Our first trip, when my youngest was 23 months, we took our stroller because I wanted it in the airport. Our second trip, when my youngest was 5, she wasn't using a stroller anymore day-to-day, but I knew she'd get exhausted with all that walking, so we rented one. We had a great experience.

We always found it easier to travel with our own stroller. No issues at airport and having it actually made it easier for transport at the airport.

To me, unless you're just going for one or two days, renting is such a waste of money. Bring your own. If you don't want to bring it, buy one there. When you're done with it, sell it on Craigslist and get most of your money back. Or if you don't want that hassle, gift it to a family you see at WDW who may want/need a stroller. Maybe someone going to the stroller pick up line or something.

I would bring one. You can a double umbrella stroller for under $80 bucks on amazon. You'll want a stroller for getting out of the parks and back to the hotel, no just to hold the children, your children related gear but any purchases you may have made.

Then again, depends on how many and how old. If they are young, and you expect them to fall asleep at some point in the day (even at night), having the stroller to get them from the bus to the room is going to be a god send after a long day.

I wrote an article about strollers, click the link in my signature.

We have only done rentals through Kingdom Strollers and to us it was so worth it. We took an umbrella stroller the first time we went and it was such a waste to lug it around.

At 20 months, I'd bring my own in order to secure the child at the airport. It can be a pain to push a stroller and drag a rolling suitcase, but totally worth knowing that your child can't run off (or even walk slowly and get lost for just a second). You can keep them in the stroller for a while in the security line, which is wonderful if the line is long.

Last edited:
At 20 months it depends on if you're flying non stop or have a layover. I'd fly non stop without the stroller or with an umbrella and rent a bigger one at disney.

I had a layover with a 20 month old, so we brought our big stroller. I wasn't going to do a 2-3 hour layover at JFK without a stroller....

If you like your stroller bring it. Think about how much stuff you want it to carry vs how you’re going to manage transportation. We rented a double from Orlando stroller rentals which was amazing. Clean, comfortable, can do a full 360 turn in place. Worth it but we don’t otherwise have a double at home. It was a pain on the buses to and from the parks but could hold so much junk and kids it was worth it.

If you don’t have a lot of stuff an umbrella stroller may be better, just make sure it’s tall enough for pushing all day.

when my daughter was younger, i went to my local walmart and paid under $25 for an umbrella stroller that could also allow her to lie back and nap...a cup holder for her cup and a basket underneath. i figured it was cheaper than renting for the week...and if it got damaged i wouldnt be upset. worked great...on our way out of MK on the last day, i noticed parents struggling with their 4 year old. My husband asked them if they would like our stroller. They were so thankful...we just asked them that if they decide at the end of the trip they dont need it to please also pay it forward.

What are your opinions and experiences with bringing your own stroller vs renting one? We're flying down if that helps.

We brought our own when dd was 2.5 years. I figured so young, she would want “her” space, plus we wanted it through the airport for her. When we return our girls will be 3.5 and 6.5 and I will rent a double.

Personally, I would bring or rent a nicer stroller. I wouldn't use an umbrella stroller because they are always short and hurt my back to hunch over to push. The nicer strollers also have cup holders and storage underneath, good quality shades for naps and sun protection. I've rented one because I haven't needed it at the airport and I didn't want to risk damage to a nice stroller on the airplane.

We've flown with our own strollers tons of times and never had them damaged. We've used a full-size stroller, a deluxe umbrella stroller (taller than your typical umbrella stroller), and a sit-and-stand, depending on the situation. I'm of the opinion that renting a stroller is a huge waste of money and my DH would throw a fit if I even suggested it! The last time we went my son was 5 and we were on the fence about bringing a stroller for him. We brought along the umbrella stroller that comes with a carrying case that it zips up into for travel. We ended up checking it at the airport (for free) since we didn't need it in the airport, so we weren't encumbered with it. It worked great and we only brought it to the parks on the long days and we ended up parking it for most of the day and only using it when necessary!

I have done both and I hated renting. Now, I was someone that used my stroller a lot (lived in the city - so used stroller on train / bus etc).... so using the rental I was just frustrated that I wasn't used to how it 'handled'/ manuevered. I missed my stroller and never did it again.

At 20 months, I'd think it would be easier to handle the airport with a stroller. The only time I rented was when my daughter was just shy of 4 - her & I flew down solo and it was easier to navigate the airport without the stroller. But I completely regretted the decision.

this past trip was the first time renting. Found it easier and it was a great stroller and clean. Issues my family was worried about

I would bring your own. Especially at that age probably use in airport and for travel too!

We don't bring our own and will never rent again! This past December we rented from a recommended stroller rental company that we have used before. ( I don't wish to bash them by name) and the last 3 trips everything was great! This time, paid in full but the stroller was not delivered. I called and they said they did deliver it but nope. Not at Beach Club. I finally asked for a refund. Then the magic happened. The guy that was looking for our stroller in Bell Services told me to just come in the storage room and grab one. I was like what ???? He said that people leave them all the time. They had about 20 strollers in the back so we picked one. We were waiting for our Minnie Van and he came out with a better one and said "Here, this one is nicer" so we got a stroller free for our entire trip! He told me that there are extra strollers at all resorts because people leave them all the time. And they are free to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter