bridge GF to MK

It's also unknown if they are going to put some sort of drawbridge over the canal where the water pageant is stored.

I am betting that the walkway gets completed all the way-full circle to include Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness.

This would be the way to solve the traffic problem that will come with Reflections.

Not everyone will use it, but it will help and what is another couple miles on top of the 9+ you get from an average park day anyway 😜

How long is that walk going to be? Certainly longer than the walk to BLT.

BLT is obviously the shortest distance you could get to the MK.

I did a quick map calculation from the Contemporary porte cochere to the MK turnstiles and it came out to roughly 750 meters / 0.47 miles.

Using the Gasparilla Grill as the starting point from the Grand Floridian and presuming bridges over both canals the distance to the MK turnstiles came out to roughly 1090 meters / 0.68 miles.

So a good 45% longer of a walk (and that's with a generous starting point at the GF and presuming two bridges). It's roughly 1430 meters / 0.89 miles from the back exit of the VGF lobby.

BLT is obviously the shortest distance you could get to the MK.

I did a quick map calculation from the Contemporary porte cochere to the MK turnstiles and it came out to roughly 750 meters / 0.47 miles.

Using the Gasparilla Grill as the starting point from the Grand Floridian and presuming bridges over both canals the distance to the MK turnstiles came out to roughly 1090 meters / 0.68 miles.

So a good 45% longer of a walk (and that's with a generous starting point at the GF and presuming two bridges). It's roughly 1430 meters / 0.89 miles from the back exit of the VGF lobby.

Thanks for doing this! That’s still not a bad walk. 15-20 minutes at most I’d estimate at my pace.

Overall, I have my hopes up. I know this rumor came up from time to time, but that permit name is pretty explicit.

But (a) everybody isn't you, i.e. willing to walk that much further, especially at the end of the day; and (b) GF and Poly already offer two transportation options to their guests - monorail and launch. Heck, technically the Poly has three, counting the ferry.

Hoping this is just a rumor. For one who loves the GF this will most certainly increase non resort guest crowd levels. That is one of things I love about the GF; it is realively quiet/low crowd levels. Nothing like Poly/contemporary.

Quiet & low crowds at the International Gateway are reasons many people love staying at Epcot resorts. Year round festivals at Epcot & the gondolas are changing all that. Disney apparently doesn’t care for quiet & low crowds.

Judging from my map, it’s a solid walk. I think people were already there from boats & monorail.

Do we know the walkway permit includes a bridge? This is super exciting. Think about how much better the running around the MK resorts will be! I won't have to convince DH about going to Disney or staying at the MK resorts.

Ahhh the permit screenshots have got me SO excited! I’m surprised because I really thought @Polydweller made an excellent point about GF and Poly already having high occupancy rates, so there’s little ROI for Disney to recoup from this project. Maybe they will be able to charge more since the GF will have the added bonus of a walkway? As a family with 3 small children, we always stay at the Contempo because it’s so convenient. If you haven’t walked back to your hotel on a basically empty path after park closing and watched as the bus lines grow longer and longer... you haven’t lived! I wouldn’t mind paying more to stay at GF if it had a walking path.

Hoping this is just a rumor. For one who loves the GF this will most certainly increase non resort guest crowd levels. That is one of things I love about the GF; it is realively quiet/low crowd levels. Nothing like Poly/contemporary.

It will likely increase non-resort guests. However, they’re going to come anyways as soon as the new Beauty and the Beast themed bar opens. I’ll take the walkway!

Just so you know there's a 450+ feet bridge connecting Shanghai Disneyland Hotel to Shanghai Disneyland. If they could build that bridge i'm sure WDW can too

and that bridge was not even necessary as you can see people can walk around the outer path of the lake but the bridge probably saves 10 minutes of walking

Last edited:
Do we know the walkway permit includes a bridge? This is super exciting. Think about how much better the running around the MK resorts will be!
I won't be too easy to run around the seven seas lagoon, since you'll have to stop to go through security as you approach the Magic Kingdom.

What I’ve learned from this thread so far is that the walkway no one will use because it’s so far when there’s already two other forms of transportation is going to increase non-resort-guest foot traffic so much it’ll ruin the GF experience?
:D

What I’ve learned from this thread so far is that the walkway no one will use because it’s so far when there’s already two other forms of transportation is going to increase non-resort-guest foot traffic so much it’ll ruin the GF experience?
:D

Seems about right. Who knew I was having such a negative impact on some people's GF stay by visiting there without a room booked!

The EWP is one of the few things I would protest if they tried to get rid of it

Exaggerating a bit (always moving forward and all that) but do love the EWP and have many fond memories of watching it as a kid and now watching it with my kids

Anything Walt himself was involved with like the EWP (I'm assuming) should never be discarded.

It would enhance the guest experience but do nothing for Disney's pocketbook so it's not likely this will ever happen.

How does the Gondola system help the Disney pocketbook, unless they are going to raise the room prices for the Gondola hotels. I guess that is a good possibility. If the bridge is built, I am sure DVC will be paying a part of it, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter