Breaking Point for Disney Cost

My breaking point so far hasn't really been cost. We've been mostly going about once a year for the last 15 years or so (and I've been going since the early 70's as a kid, with some breaks for a year here and there due to lack of vacation time, etc.), and costs have risen dramatically over that time, even including discounts. We justified that by saying that we got a lot for the money. My breaking point is if the value we're getting for the money drops. That has actually been happening for a few trips now, with all the extra planning needed to get the most out of a WDW vacation. And that is for overall less to do for the money, with Disney closing favorite attractions in EPCOT and DHS with little or no announcements of replacements. Now with FP+ and literally planning individual rides at 60 days out or probably missing out on them, our upcoming October trip which I foolishly booked over a year ago, I'm seriously considering not returning afterwards. All that scheduling seems too much like work for my taste. We can luckily afford to still make a trip to WDW once per year, but other destinations are looking like better values for that money.

We keep finding ways to reduce the cost or at least slow down the increase. Last trip we had over $1000 in Rewards dollars. We had started to pay for EVERYTHING with the card. Next trip we'll have over $2K.

Also, since we only go every 4 years or so it's not a big hit. Our next trip we plan to rent DVC points which pretty much cuts the hotel bill in half. Off-site lodging may become a possibility. We can afford to stay almost anywhere on site but refuse to pay such ridiculous rates. Besides the Hard Rock at Universal is a much nicer hotel with better service than almost anything at WDW. And you get free Express Pass.

Finally I agree with others that it may not be cost, but what's missing. After our trip next year I'm guessing we won't return until any of the new stuff at DHS is completed.

I agree with PPs that it's not so much about the cost but more a matter of perceived value. So many attractions closed and not replaced. Cutbacks on entertainment. Reports of (and personal experience with) poor maintenance and housekeeping in the resorts. The dumbing down of restaurant menus. It's the feeling of paying more and getting so much less that has me thinking twice before spending money and precious vacation time at Disney. Tiered ticket pricing could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

...when discussing with my mom last year why we keep going back I said: "Everyone always has a good time." It's as simple as that.

We know from experience that we can make a Disney vacation similar in cost to other vacations we would take as a family....

Both points exactly what I was going to post.

We are blessed to be able to spend to stay deluxe, but we could do it cheaper if we wanted to or needed to and we would still go. Because everyone always has a good time!

So to answer the OP question I would say when WDW becomes much more expensive than comparable vacations we would reach a breaking point. But I don't think that will ever happen because I am pretty sure they know exactly what they are doing when they set their prices.

Even with the higher prices I think Disney is still a good value compared to some of the other vacations that we have taken. Our trips to the shore or the mountains may cost a little less but also come with far fewer amenities and entertainment opportunities, a lot of which are included in the price at Disney. We always stay at least 7 nights so we take advantage of the lower per day cost of tickets. We use Disney transportation so there is no cost involved in driving or parking. Disney has entertainment opportunities that last approximately 18 hours a day with AM and PM EMH, DTD (Disney Springs), Resort dining, etc. We always buy Park Hoppers so we can take advantage of EMH. Having traveled to WDW so much we know going in the approximate amount we will be spending so there are fewer surprises in our budget.
We enjoy going other places and seeing other things but Disney is always a comfortable and relaxing trip. A known quantity. We went for a long weekend trip last month and had to pay $45.00 per day to park the car in addition to a $35.00 per day resort fee for resort services we weren't interested in. This was on top of the $300.00 per night room. The lodging cost was almost $1300.00 with taxes and that was just three nights. At Disney we usually stay Moderate and have never paid $300.00 for a room.
Disney's prices would have to go significantly higher with fewer amenities before I think it would cease to be a good value for us. Cheers!!!

I agree with PPs that it's not so much about the cost but more a matter of perceived value. So many attractions closed and not replaced. Cutbacks on entertainment. Reports of (and personal experience with) poor maintenance and housekeeping in the resorts. The dumbing down of restaurant menus. It's the feeling of paying more and getting so much less that has me thinking twice before spending money and precious vacation time at Disney. Tiered ticket pricing could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
If they actually do the tiered pricing it will be the last time that we go.

I'm at my breaking point now which is why my upcoming trip will be the last one for awhile. I don't stay at deluxe or buy park hoppers or eat at TS restaurants every day so there is not much more I can cut back on. But airfare is also part of the problem. I refuse to drive from NJ. I'd much rather spend the money going to places I haven't been yet.

I guess the breaking point would be when we no longer enjoy our time there. For now, we'll keep going and keep paying for it. We budget for an annual trip and pay everything up front in cash/giftcards/rewards points so that we don't come home to a huge bill.

Right now, I'd say moderate vs. deluxe hotel. I could afford a deluxe hotel, but I can't bring myself to pay $400+ a night for a hotel room that doesn't even include perks like CL, etc. Especially when I'm going to spend minimal time at said hotel. That doesn't mean that some time in the future I won't stay deluxe, but right now it's too much.

This is us also, we used to be deluxe only people. Now we're backing it down to Moderate hotels. The moderates are now what we used to pay for deluxes and they basically have the same perks. And yes all the cut backs are seriously irritating me. Slowly we're moving our WDW vacations further apart. Soon it will only be every 2 - 3 years.

I thought we had about reached our breaking point. We used to go 2-3 times per year, but now we only go once every year to 18 months. Our trip in 2013, I had decided Disney was just getting too expensive. I only did a short weekend with 1 of my sons last year. My older boys went for a few days during spring break with their grandparents so we didn't do a big family trip last year. Then this year, my older boys are at a point where they can help pay so they bought their tickets which helped immensely. Even so, it was still very expensive. Then, a couple of weeks ago, we went to Pigeon Forge, TN. The cheap room we found - which was still $115 - was a dump. We were only going for a couple of nights so we sucked it up as we were only sleeping there. Went to 1 2-hour show which was $30 pp - and that is the cheapest show up there - most are around $45-$60. Then we went to Dollywood for 1 day - AAA tickets were $60 each. So for 2 nights for 5 people, it cost us around $700. So when you compare that to Disney, we've decided it's not such a bad deal. Especially when you look at all you get for the price. It's hard not to compare everything to Disney World when you've been going for so long. So, we'll continue to go for now.

There isn't really a "line in the sand", but I have to compare the cost of my trips to WDW to other vacations that we have taken in recent years. There once was a time when "other" vacations were ones that we saved up for and were "splurges": (Paris; Rome/Florence; Hawaii; Alaska Cruise), and our WDW vacations were sort of..."Sure. When should we go?" and never gave it a second thought. But now, our most recent WDW vacations have come very, very close to equalling what we used to think of as "splurge" vacations, and going to WDW is no longer a "Sure. When should we go" proposition. And to be fair, much of this has to do with airfare. It used to be that I could fly roundtrip to FL for around $150 per person, pretty much whenever we wanted to go, and a flight to Europe would cost around $600 or so. But my last two trips to FL averaged around $375-$425 per person. If I am going to commit that much coin to a flight, I have to give serious consideration to going someplace else. The balance of the trips are close to equal. A hotel at WDW is as expensive as a hotel in Europe. A meal at WDW is as expensive as a meal in Europe. A 6 day park pass is more than what I would spend to go to cultural sights in Europe. And both WDW and Europe are more expensive per day than a cruise (on a cruise line other than DCL). So really, it is the airfare that is making me reconsider the frequency of our trips to FL.

Haven't hit it yet, but I'm pretty happy with a more budget resort (I liked my deluxe stays but they didn't make my trip 'better') and really except for one trip to Vegas once a year and the occasional trip to see my nephew play basketball Disney is my main vacation. It has stuff I like to do, places I like to eat, that works with allergies, resorts that have the features I consider important, DME so I don't have to drive unless I want to, and the ability to work around to get the most bang for my buck so pretty much perfect for me.

Next year I am trying to set up a London trip and that will take most of my vacation budget so I may skip Disney, but as long as I can afford it I'll stick with Disney.

Haven't gotten there yet... 10 days in Disney in Nov w/FD was $2k LESS than 4 nights at Beaches Negril (including flights). Like a previous poster said, a week in Disney is less than a week at the Jersey Shore. Our next big non-disney vacation is Paris with all 3 kids -- that's will be signifigantly more expensive than Disney.

So far it's our cheapest family vacation:)

Our first trip in 10 years and our kids' first trip ever. Disney is not technically what I would consider in our vacation budget. We are seriously splurging. I know we could do it cheaper, but even then, it is still very expensive relative to our budget. Due to the fact that we were probably NOT going back, we chose to do deluxe this time.

However, IF we go back, the breaking point for not going back or rather, the chances of us going back will hinge on if this trip goes well which will hinge on the following:
if the hotel and parks, restaurants were CLEAN, CMs were courteous, Enough rides were operational that my kids could enjoy the parks (i'm looking for somewhere in the 60-75% operational range, outside of what I've already been told will be under maintenance and allowing for emergencies like someone deciding to stand up on Dumbo or a hurricane),
The hotel is in good enough maintenance that it does not cause any MAJOR hiccups in our stay, and something feels "magical" enough to draw me back. I don't know what the "magical" will be. It could just be I drive back under the arch and go "ooh I feel the magic." Or maybe I"ll be in a bad mood because the operational is more towards the 65% and the cleanliness was on the lower end and I'll need something more pixie dust-ish to make me feel like it isn't just another Six Flags over Wherever. Since I really actually HATE amusement parks.

That being said, obviously they were able to do that the last time I was there or I wouldn't be stretching so far with my money to go back. Maybe they play subliminal messages in it's a small world. Who knows. However, reading current reviews of things, I don't know that I will come back feeling like it is worth the money. If it feels like I'm at Six Flags or any Cedar Point, it ceases to be worth it to me to scrimp and save to go to the "magical" place. Got my fingers crossed.

**Edited for horribly embarrassing spelling error caught later when someone quoted me**

Last edited:
I don't know that I really would hit a breaking point, but I just had my first Disney trip again after many years away (staying onsite at least!). It's only DH and I, and vacation is all about eating good food regardless of whether we're at Disney or not, so TS meals don't scare me in terms of price. While not a breaking point, I would definitely consider carefully whether I would ever go to Disney for Christmas. We did do MVMCP one year, but we just went for an evening with DH's parents. If I was to actually go stay at Disney for Christmas, I think I would do it with the intent to only ride the rides I have FPs for, and not even bother with crazy lines anywhere else. I think I'd spend more of my time checking out other resorts and decorations.

I don't know if there's ever a breaking point where we'd say "no more Disney trips", but the frequency of visits is definitely affected by price. If it were more cost effective we'd probably do an annual vacation there...but as it is we're on about a 3-4 year cycle.

I think I've reached that point for family trips. It's a lot of money to take a family of four. DS is 15 and DD is 9...soon to be 10. That's why we are taking this trip....before she hits Disney adult status.

After this trip everyone will be an adult. Costs will be even higher. We could probably ever go with 4 adults if we went during FD and stayed moderate.

I'm planning on mother/son and mother/daughter trips in the future. Maybe 5 day trips. A few TS restaurants. Maybe a couples only.

We are happy spending our money elsewhere in the future. We can do Mexico or DR for less than our package at Disney and that's all inclusive.

Our breaking point for staying onsite would be if we ever had to actually pay for a room onsite. Thankfully we are very blessed in that regard. We have never been big TS people but if we were then our Mother's Day meal at Cape May ($350+) probably would have ended that!

We have reached our breaking point with moderates. We used to be able to find one for around $130 per night, making them an exceptional value. Now, they are closer to $170, so we are stuck with either value or off site. With a family of 5, the values are really tight, especially at $80 per night. But to us on site is still the way we want to go. To other poster's points, Disney isn't the only one raising prices. We were in Asheville NC a few weeks ago and wanted to go to the Biltmore Estate. Tickets were $60 pp! That makes Disney look like a steal at 100!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter