Breaking News?!?

coinkc

<font color=red>You can find some hot dates at Six
There was a story on our local news tonight about an accident at Disney's California Adventure Park. Something about 2 roller coasters that crashed into each other. I only caught the tail end of the story. Anybody know any details?

I heard the same thing, something along the same lines as you. They said that at least 37 people were injured? I came here to look for info.

That's sick, those poor people. I didn't hear anything and I hope it's nothing serious. I got back from Disneyland on the 26th. On the 24th, my mom and I rode California Screamin and just when we were almost at the end, it came to a SHARP screeching halt. I don't know what happened, but we were stuck on the ride for ten minutes. No one got hurt, but I wouldn't be surprised if the accident this time was from that ride.

fox news just reported that no one was seriously injured. Said the ride trains collided. They are still removing people from the ride.

They just mention it and showed a little footage on FOX News. There are injuries but they said at this point no serious injuries. Two trains collided.

I just saw this on our local news... they described it as "two cars bumped" and said there were no serious injuries.

Two caliornia screamin trains collided. Looks like it was at the end near the loading station. They've so far taken 16 people to the hospital, but they said they thought it was more just to be cautious.

Donna

Update, two trains, each with 24 people ran into each other. All injuries are minor. 14 transported to hospital 13 walked away, 21 being further evaluated.
They say it wasn't at high speeds.

Disney California Adventure Accident Injures at Least 60
By Rong-Gong Lin II, Times Staff Writer

Two trains on the California Screamin' ride at Disney California Adventure bumped into each on Friday evening, leaving at least 60 riders with minor injuries.

The accident occurred just before 6:45 p.m. as one of the trains was coming was ending its ride and hit a second train that was loading passengers, said Michael Simpson, dispatcher for Metronet, which covers the Anaheim Fire Department.

Most of the injured complained of neck and back pain and some were being sent to local hospitals. Simpson said initial reports indicated that there were no serious injuries.

California Screamin' is one of the more popular rides at California Adventure. The ride is shaped too look like a silhouette of Mickey Mouse's head.

I would guess it is too early to know if they will close the ride for any lenght of time. We leave on Sunday and plan on going to DCA on Tuesday. Does anyone know if anything like this has happened with this ride before? Thanks.

-Matthew

bop28 said:
Disney California Adventure Accident Injures at Least 60

This is not possible as there were only two trains involved and each train can only hold 24 people (2 per row with 12 rows per train).

As for being closed I would count on at least a month no matter what, if any of the injuries turn out to be fatalities plan on two-three months, more if there are two fatalities, if three fatalities they may not be allowed to ever reopen the attraction per DOSH rules (this is that happen in one accident I believe), But so far sounds like no mfatalities so I would guess one to two months.

Accident at Disney's California Adventure roller coaster injures at least 14

Associated Press

ANAHEIM, Calif. - One train rear-ended another on the "California Screamin'" roller coaster at Disney's California Adventure theme park Friday night, slightly injuring at least 14 people, authorities said.

The accident was reported at 6:39 p.m, according to Anaheim city spokesman John Nicoletti.

"It did not appear to happen at a high rate of speed. Absolutely all of these injuries are minor at this point," Nicoletti told KCAL-TV.

Disneyland Resort spokesman Bob Tucker declined to comment, referring calls to city officials.

The accident sent a fleet of ambulances to the park, which is part of the Disneyland Resort complex and is located adjacent to the venerable Disneyland amusement park, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.

Early Fire Department reports had indicated 60 people were slightly injured on the ride. But Nicoletti said 14 people were taken to hospitals for treatment of confirmed minor injuries. Twenty-one others were being evaluated at the scene late Friday and 13 more who were examined at the scene were able to walk away.

The roller coaster was closed immediately after the accident but other portions of the park remained open.

About 100 firefighters rushed to the amusement park, which opened in 2001 and was designed to turn Disneyland into a resort destination, much like Disney theme parks in Florida, Paris and Tokyo.

Disney spent $1.4 billion to build California Adventure, an adjacent hotel and a retail strip filled with restaurants and shops. California Adventure's main attractions include "Soarin' Over California," where people are lifted 40 feet in the air to give the sensation of hang-gliding, and "California Screamin', which hits a speed of 55 mph in about 4 seconds.

Friday's crash was the second accident in four months at a Disneyland Resort park in Anaheim.

In March, a 4-year-old boy broke a finger and severed the tip of his thumb while on the Storybook Land Canal Boats ride at Disneyland, forcing the ride to close for nearly two days while state authorities investigated the accident.

The accident occurred when the child's fingers were pinched between the boat and the dock while passengers were unloading.

Four people were hurt in December when a float at a Disneyland parade struck four people. One of the four was treated at a hospital.

In 2003, a 22-year-old man was killed and 10 people were injured when Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster derailed. The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health concluded the accident that killed Marcelo Torres, 22, of Gardena was the result of mechanical failure caused by improper maintenance.

Another fatality occurred at Disneyland in 1998 when a cleat used to dock the sailing ship Columbia ripped loose and struck a 33-year-old man.

I was at the DL Resort with a friend this evening, on the Mickey and Friends tram, when we heard sirens at about 6:40-6:45ish. We thought nothing of it at the time, and then we saw several helicopters circling while waiting in line for Space Mountain about 30 minutes or so later. Little did we know what was going on next door! We actually went over to DCA later but remained oblivious until we got a phone call from someone at home with the news. Very sad. :( But luckily no one was seriously injured.

A similiar thing happened to a new launch coaster in Silver Dollar City while we were vacationing there. They reopened the ride the next day, but only ran one train at a time on it until they were sure the problem with 2 trains was fixed. Sounds similiar... two trains waiting to come into the station, one ran into the other. No major injuries.

Hugs to those on the coaster at the time.

I just heard this news on our UK main news station so rushed up to this board to make sure everyone was ok.

I live in London and have all the news dominated by London Suicide bombers and was very surprised to see Disneyland in the Headlines

Glad to see no serious injuries. Hopefully the ride will be safely back in action soon.

Susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter