Breaking News: No Sail order lifted replaced by conditional sail order

or Hawaii in 2022 but Thank God that is so far off.

my opinion is yes cruise ships are unique in that there is potential for things to go bad. BUT a bit unfair that this is the only industry that has to "Prove" anything before operating.. Planes fly, WDW is open, bars are open, political rally are open.. But cruises are looked at differently.

And what do they mean with Prove... what is margin of errror.. nothing is 100% even if everybody on this planet had a vaccine.

So if the CDC says cruises must be 7 nights or shorter what will become of several cruises including: WBPC, 9 night Alaska, 8 night HOTHS Fantasy Oct 2021, the 9 night southern to name a few?
I am very surprised that the CDC is allowing cruising to begin with 7 nt cruises. I thought for sure that they would have to start with 3 and 4 nt cruises. Finger crossed, all goes well! :)

or Hawaii in 2022 but Thank God that is so far off.

my opinion is yes cruise ships are unique in that there is potential for things to go bad. BUT a bit unfair that this is the only industry that has to "Prove" anything before operating.. Planes fly, WDW is open, bars are open, political rally are open.. But cruises are looked at differently.

And what do they mean with Prove... what is margin of errror.. nothing is 100% even if everybody on this planet had a vaccine.
Didn't a lot of those places have to prove things... Maybe not planes, but WDW had a whole plan they had to approve to get submitted. Politically rallies a lot of them do not get approved but because he is the president and he just ignores the local rules and local health officals do not want to get into a legal battle with president. I know here in Colorado the broncos, zoo, the museums, etc.. had to submit their plan to reopen.

There are no more cruises for at least the next two months. Likely longer.

Footnote on page 28:

"These materials should be submitted at least 60 calendar days prior to the date on which the cruise ship operator proposes to commence restricted passenger operations. "

And the materials include a number of certifications, which, in turn, will require their own lead time.

There are no more cruises for at least the next two months. Likely longer.

Footnote on page 28:

"These materials should be submitted at least 60 calendar days prior to the date on which the cruise ship operator proposes to commence restricted passenger operations. "

And the materials include a number of certifications, which, in turn, will require their own lead time.

I haven’t read the document yet, but did they address any scenario (like increasing cases or positivity rates) to reinstate the ban?

I haven’t read the document yet, but did they address any scenario (like increasing cases or positivity rates) to reinstate the ban?
They have referred to a "threshold" of onboard COVID infection which, if crossed, will trigger measures for that specific ship - such as cancellation of that voyage and at least some of the future voyages, quarantine/isolation, etc.

They haven't made a reference to infection rates on land or other general figures, but the language gives CDC very broad powers to change things up if needed.

And that threshold isn't defined either.

They have referred to a "threshold" of onboard COVID infection which, if crossed, will trigger measures for that specific ship - such as cancellation of that voyage and at least some of the future voyages, quarantine/isolation, etc.

They haven't made a reference to infection rates on land or other general figures, but the language gives CDC very broad powers to change things up if needed.

And that threshold isn't defined either.
@JulieBeeRN The order also says that it is a Phased approach and that the Phases may change depending on Covid activity. See below (bold added). Again very broad and vague language.

CDC intends to take a phased approach to resuming passenger operations. These phases include: (1) establishment of laboratory testing of crew onboard cruise ships in U.S. waters; (2) simulated voyages designed to test a cruise ship operators’ ability to mitigate COVID-19 on cruise ships; (3) a certification process; and (4) a return to passenger voyages in a manner that mitigates the risk of COVID-19 introduction, transmission, or spread among passengers and crew onboard ships and ashore to communities. These phases will be further determined based on public health considerations including the trajectory of COVID-19 transmission and the demonstrated ability of cruise ship operators to successfully employ measures that mitigate the risk of COVID-19.

Depends where you live. Canada still has the border closed and no guarantee Alaska cruises will be allowed from Vancouver. We are in a second wave now. Timing seem pretty strange.
It does seem strange, but let's remember that we can't start cruising tomorrow. But the cruise lines now have some clarity as to when they might be able to restart, but it isn't anytime soon. And even though we're in the second wave, they can at least work towards that endpoint knowing that it's there.

I am very surprised that the CDC is allowing cruising to begin with 7 nt cruises. I thought for sure that they would have to start with 3 and 4 nt cruises. Finger crossed, all goes well! :)
I think the cruise lines will re-start with short 3-4 night sailings even if allowed to start with 7 nights...We have a 7n cruise booked first week of Feb 2021 and I would be very surprised if it sails.

There's another thread that I started yesterday detailing Royal Caribbean's plans: https://www.disboards.com/threads/royal-caribbean-restart-plans.3817120/

• "We are currently planning for a very limited initial return and a gradual ramp up during the first half of 2021."
  • "Deployment of spring is expected to be highly focused on short sailings from key drive markets in both the U.S. and Asia-Pacific regions."
  • "We propose to start slowly by training our crew and embarking on a series of non-revenue trial sailings, where we can rehearse and validate the new protocols."
  • "And then only on a ship or two it first and in a gradual and methodical way, we expect to start sailing again."
  • "We intend to make our ships and environment a bubble, if you will, that presents less risk of transmission than our guests would find on land."
  • "It will be slower than I would wish, but faster than many are assuming."

After glancing at the CDC proposal, I suspect that the earliest any passengers would be able to cruise again would be around spring break, after all of the new protocols are implemented, tested and approved. And I suspect that may be optimistic, especially with that 60 day time frame for getting things approved. Over the next few weeks, you may see a bunch of cancellations through the winter as the cruise lines determine what's not going to fit these new protocols.

There's another thread that I started yesterday detailing Royal Caribbean's plans: https://www.disboards.com/threads/royal-caribbean-restart-plans.3817120/

After glancing at the CDC proposal, I suspect that the earliest any passengers would be able to cruise again would be around spring break, after all of the new protocols are implemented, tested and approved. And I suspect that may be optimistic, especially with that 60 day time frame for getting things approved. Over the next few weeks, you may see a bunch of cancellations through the winter as the cruise lines determine what's not going to fit these new protocols.
I admit, I probably missed something but I thought the cruise lines already submitted their proposed health protocols to the CDC? I must be thinking of something else...

Looks like they are starting with face coverings and social distancing. Masks, signs, and constant nagging over the speaker systems. I fear the new restrictions will never be removed. Maybe some now and the next generation will be able to enjoy cruising with this new normal. I don't think I will be able to though.

I admit, I probably missed something but I thought the cruise lines already submitted their proposed health protocols to the CDC? I must be thinking of something else...

You’re not wrong, all the lines submitted them as the push to get this ridiculous order lifted. So they have a head start on the 60 days already. I can hear the chartered flights spinning up now...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!