• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bouncing Back to the Bayou --- an August 2013 PTR

Good job on the airfare snag!!! I'm still looking for my November trip and they are SO high. :(

Funny you posted your "Disneyfied Desk" - I did the same yesterday!!! Gotta bring some Disney to the boring cubicle!

So, I am now on a mission…….I am trying to get ressies for the Wishes Dessert Party for August 25th. All of July is open and it’s now just a waiting game for August to open. I have been calling everyday hoping to get lucky and snag a ressie. I also have the dining ressie online site up on my desktop at work. I would really like to be one of the first ones so I could get a table right along the window like my buddy Karen did. August 25th is also an EMH night for MK so that would be cool. We will have rested at the party and then be ready to go again until who knows when! It would work out perfectly as we do not have a ressie until supper time on the 26th. I have subbed to the Wishes Dessert Party thread so hopefully when it opens I’ll be one of the first to know. Yes, everyone….the diabetic wants to go to a dessert party. :rolleyes2 I just don’t know what’s good for me, do I? Heck, I’m going for the experience --- not for the desserts, right??

I had my birthday on the 11th…..I’m now 46 years old. Wow….I’m almost 50! ::yes:: That’s just weird! I certainly don’t act my age or feel middle aged at all!! I think it’s got to be wrong. I’m the biggest kid at heart you would ever meet. We did go to the coast for lunch in Belfast, but it was rainy and cold so I didn’t get to really enjoy the harbor much. I saw it, smelled the air, and that was it. I didn’t even take pictures. So not like me. Grr. Then on Mother’s Day we took my Mom out to Longhorns for dinner and I got her flower barrel planted. I do this every year for her. She has everything, so there’s nothing really to buy her.

Speaking of Mother’s Day, I won a Mother’s Day package from the radio station which consisted of a $50 gift card to Red Robin, $20 gc to the cinemas, and $100 gc to Pier One Imports. That’s pretty cool!! We already used the one to Red Robin. I haven’t checked out Pier One in a long time. I found that store to be really expensive! I’ll just have to shop the clearance section. Ok, fine…..I ALWAYS shop in the clearance sections!!! So, that was a nice little surprise! I love winning stuff. :bitelip:

Well, we lost another chicken last week. We don’t really know what’s wrong other than a sour crop (a digestive thing). She never came out of it, no matter what we tried. We are now down to 3 older chickens and a crop of 6 baby chicks which are still under the heat lamp inside the house! I can’t wait until they can all be together. The pen looks so empty right now. :worried:

93 MORE DAYS UNTIL DISNEY!!! :cool1: Yes, folks I’m in the double digits now!!! It’s so awesome! Not much planning to do at this point as everything is all set. I do have to finish the alterations to the famous Disney Bag Poncho and do some iron on shirts but other than that, we are ready to go! Oh, well, I am still paying on it, of course. The trip must be paid in full by July 4th so I’m trying to pay a bit extra per pay period. This is not easy! There’s always something that comes up, isn’t there? This week there were 3 prescriptions to get…ugh! Why can’t I just win Powerball??

It could be because I don’t buy a ticket? Maybe I will for a chance at $550 million dollars. Does anyone play amongst my readers?

Tomorrow it’s the annual 10 Mile Yard Sale in Cornville! Love this event!!! I’m very lucky that Peter doesn’t mind yard sailing! Victoria HATES it! I swear this is not my child! I think she’s having Kali over tonight into tomorrow and then going to a birthday party later on Saturday for their friend Paige. I don’t mind Kali and Victoria staying home alone. I wouldn’t let Victoria stay home alone for a long period of time, though. I just love parking in one spot and going to 30 yard sales at a time! Every year I hope to find some scrapbooking supplies but I never seem to.

I only have $50 to spare this year but I should be able to buy a few things with that. Oh, and I must buy Disney-related items, too! Tomorrow is going to be a very busy day with grocery shopping first thing in the am (we like going at 7am with no crowds in the store), then yard sailing, then we have a wedding to go to. Peter’s nephew is getting married. According to Peter it should be interesting. Apparently they are beyond Redneck and I was also told not to eat the brownies….um, ok. I’ve never met the kid, so I don’t know. I’ll keep you guys informed. LOL!

Oh shoot….I cannot update without pictures again…..I will get shot by you know who!! Ok, let’s see what I can come up with….there.....I added some. :rotfl2:

That's right! Pictures or you are in trouble! ;)

Good luck with the Dessert Party! I'm not sure you will get a FRONT FRONT spot, but that's b/c those tables were for two...probably why we were in one of them! :)

Happy Birthday! I don't feel my age at all either! :thumbsup2

I'm really sorry about the chickens, I hope the rest of them survive! Have fun at the garage sale, that sounds fun!

Happy Belated Birthday, Ann! I don’t feel my age either, so between me and Karen, you are in good company! :laughing: It’s not fun to act your age, anyway! I think acting young keeps you young at heart ;) So, it took me a while to catch up on everything since I have been MIA, but I am glad that you got such great flights! I was sorry to hear about your chickens, but I am glad to hear that you got a few new baby chicks. I’m also glad your cat is OK! There really isn’t much to plan after the double digit mark, is there? I hope you get the dessert party! I was looking into that, too, but I forgot about it until you brought it up. I’ll have to figure out what night I can take the kids. Now it’s just a matter of paying off the trip. I played the Powerball for the first and last time for Wednesday’s drawing :rolleyes: My numbers were nowhere near the numbers they drew. I obviously didn’t play Saturday (I’m not really a lottery type of gal) but I heard that the person who won is in Florida! Then I heard that the majority of Powerball winners are in Florida! I think you and I should play when we are down there in August! :lmao:

What’s going on with me? Let’s start this off with this pic (to get the Karen requirement out of the way…..LOL!)

Ok, phew. One photo in the update! :thumbsup2 Moving on….the big story in my world right now is the State budget crisis and the possible State shutdown that is being talked about. Maine will be without a budget effective June 30th and if the Legislature doesn’t vote one in, then government must shut down. No work means no pay for me. Let me just tell you this will NOT work well for my budget. :sad: It’s bad enough that I haven’t had a raise in over 5 years, but a total shutdown would be bad, very bad! Granted I only have $282 left to pay on Disney and that is being paid on June 26th, but I have no spending money or TS tips saved up yet. Oh, there are always options like dropping down to standard room or going with a value, but boy, I really don’t want to do that. I have my heart set on POR and I don’t want to change. There always seems to be something, doesn’t there? Peter comes home last night and states that he feels the end is near for his job…..WHAT???!!! :faint: Oh, he’d never quit without having another job, but let’s face it, he’s 50 now and most companies will not hire and train him for a new career. And he’s signed a non-competition clause which means the company he works for now could sue him if he were to work for another fuel company. Grrrrr…..we’ll make it……it just may not be pretty for a while.

As I’ve said I only have $282 left to pay. Wow!! :worship: This has been a long haul to pay off! If I would have figured it out correctly when I started bi-weekly payments, I would have been ok, but having to pay $282 bi-weekly for the last 3 weeks has been a killer! I’m just not paying so much on the other credit cards for now. But, again, there was Peter’s birthday and Father’s Day and I have to buy him something!!! I also had 2 prescriptions to pick up this week which was a total of $40! I know, I know, I’m thankful to have medical insurance for what it’s worth. I probably should start saving for Disney as soon as I get back, huh? Let’s see, let’s make this an estimated $3,700 divided by 20 bi-weekly payments (I’m giving myself some time off from savings) and that would be: $185….ugh…..ok, let’s get it down to $100 per bi-weekly pays ….. that would make it 37 weeks….nope, not enough time. We could do 25 bi-weekly pays at $150 per pay. Ok. That will work. We would also have the tax refund to count on, too.

We are currently trying to sell Peter’s home in Starks. It’s 11 acres with a home and a mobile home on the property. Both homes need work and Peter would be happy just to have his current home equity loan paid off which is about $23,000 or so. I think we could easily get $52,000 for it…..I mean it’s worth that for the land itself, I believe. Anyone know how I could find out what land is worth? I know I can look on the tax bill, but everyone knows they overinflate what the property is really worth just so they can get more taxes out of you. Ugh! You know, I could put in a picture of Peter’s house, but I’ve never taken one. Weird! I take pictures of everything and I’ve never taken a picture of his house? Bad me! Anyways, he says if we get that for the house, he plans on paying off both cars and some other stuff. Oh, how I would love to not have any more car payments. That would save me $267 per month!!! That would be heaven!!:love:

I have to mention that Victoria and Kali want to go to Playlist Live again in 2014. Peter doesn’t think he’ll be able to make it if it is held around the same time next year. That is, if he is still working for his present employer. His co-worker Paul has already requested the time off in March, so we’ll see. It may just have to be me and the girls! They are supposed to be announcing the dates at the end of this month, so we’ll see. We really did have fun last time!

I have finished the alterations to the Disney bag rain poncho…….Here it is….

Pretty Cool, eh? I’m pretty pleased with it now. It opens from the front and I made it about 12 inches longer! Yep, I’m happy.::yes::

We’ve been keeping busy enjoying the weather while we can since Maine summers are soooo short! We did open the pool up but haven’t used it yet --- it’s been too darned cold! The water temp is probably 60 degrees and that’s way too cold. We’ve been on a couple different day trips so far and I’ll have to share them in my next post. I have to leave in about 10 minutes to go see the doctor regarding my toe. Yes, my lovely, red, mis-shaped toe. Ugh. I think this is as far as the healing will get now. I’ll just have to live with it. It doesn’t hurt all the time, but it does ache at times. Oh well……such is life, right??:confused3

I was so glad to see you had posted. Sorry to hear about the State budget problems. That is why I have always steered away from City, State, or school district jobs. I hope they get a budget soon.

I hope the Doctor appt went ok today. I am about ready to leave work, so not a lot of comments. Just wanted to say, "Welcome back to your PTR."

Hi, Ann! I really hope everything works out with Maine’s budget! That is so scary! Keep us posted after the vote. I like the modifications you made to the poncho! Our trips are so close! :yay: How did everything go at the doctor’s?

Hi Ann! Just stopping by....I've been a total slacker on the DIS lately. So, did you get the dessert party?? I booked for the 21st :banana:

I don't know how I missed your update! So sorry it took me so long to figure it out. I LOVE your poncho! I just love it. I wish I were talented, I would make myself one, lord knows I have enough Disney bags! :rotfl2:

Sorry about the job situation, but yay for almost having it all paid off!!!

How many days do you have now? I guess I could go look at Erin's TR b/c you guys will be there at the same time! *jealous*!!

Hi, I am brand new to DIS Boards and have been reading through some PTR's...I wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying yours! I am also going in August and I am just loving reading through it all and learning some tips as well.

BTW- I LOVE the poncho, that is super creative!!

Hi Ann-- I read your TR last year and just read through your PTR tonight!! I really enjoyed it. My oldest son is younger than your daughter, but I think he would have LOVED Playlist. I will have to show him the pics, he may know some of those youtubers!

We will be staying at POR the same dates that you are there! Will say hi if we see you! :)

PS May have missed this, but what happened with your daughter's school calendar and your Disney dates?

Hi Ann-- I read your TR last year and just read through your PTR tonight!! I really enjoyed it. My oldest son is younger than your daughter, but I think he would have LOVED Playlist. I will have to show him the pics, he may know some of those youtubers!

We will be staying at POR the same dates that you are there! Will say hi if we see you! :)

PS May have missed this, but what happened with your daughter's school calendar and your Disney dates?

Hi Donia and welcome!!! :welcome::wave: Thank you for the compliment. I enjoy writing the reports even though I don't have a huge amount of readers. Thank you for joining in! I will definitely look for you around POR. I will have my Lime Green Mickey Head attached to my pink Minnie Mouse bag. You will also not be able to miss my Victoria with her curly hair!!

OMG!! We had sooooo much fun at Playlist Live. They just announced the 2014 dates this past week and of course we bought tickets! It will be just me, Victoria and Kali this year. Peter, unfortunately, will not be able to get the time off from work, so it will be a girls only trip. I'm kinda excited for it!!! :hyper: It means that while the girls are meeting their favs, Mama can go to the outlet Mall or wherever!! :banana:

As for school....it starts here on August 29th, so we shortened our trip by one day. We'll be coming home on the 28th. We had picked a nice flight with Delta to arrive in Maine at 9:15pm. Yeah, well Delta changed that flight to land at 11:15pm instead. This means Victoria will only have a few hours of sleep for her first day of school. Not the best thing to do, but the Bounceback offer started on August 18th so we couldn't add any days to the start of the trip. I'm curious to see what this year's BB offer will be.

Hi Anne! Remember me!? Lol. Anyway, love, love, the new poncho! I wish I was creative like that. I switched over to POFQ becausey DD really wanted to try it but I will still be heading over POR (the food court is way better).
I am curious as well to see what BB will be this year! We are planning a big trip next year with family and friends and I can't wait to start planning!

Hi Anne! Remember me!? Lol. Anyway, love, love, the new poncho! I wish I was creative like that. I switched over to POFQ becausey DD really wanted to try it but I will still be heading over POR (the food court is way better).
I am curious as well to see what BB will be this year! We are planning a big trip next year with family and friends and I can't wait to start planning!

Yay!!! Tasha is still reading!! I've seen you on Team August, but not over here as of late.....Heck, I haven't even seen me on my own PTR lately. Hopefully that will change!! 51 More Days!!!!:worship:

Yep, so here we are at 47 days!!! I cant believe how close it really is now. I remember booking it last year like it was YESTERDAY!!! I remember first booking CBR and then realizing that we all were much happier at POR, so I made the switch and paid for Preferred. This is the first time Ive ever paid for preferred, so I hope it turns out really magical! I hope we get all of our requests granted and that the weather is beautiful! I just cant wait to be home again!

Now here is some news for everyone ---- I AM PAID IN FULL AS OF 7/1/2013!!!! Good thing as it is due on July 4th so I squeaked it out! I tell you it was pretty hard to have it come out of the paycheck for the last couple of months, but it is so worth it! I did give up yard sailing hard core as there was no left over money to spend on things that werent absolutely needed. Lets all dance now!

I have a couple of iron-on shirts to still get done and that is pretty much it. I have been working on hair bows and I just have to add the clips to them. I think they came out pretty cute. I dont know if I will actually be wearing them, but here they are:

Ive done a few more that I just didnt take pics of. Sorry guys!

The Disboards Team August group is having a Dismeet in Epcot on the 20th at 3pm!! I hope this stays together as it would just be FANTASTIC to meet some other Disers. Of course I'm already meeting Shannon and Erin, and I'm so excited! Finally to know some people who feel the way I do about Disney! Its going to be so cool!!! Erin, Im surprised you havent been part of Team August. They are really great people over there! Very entertaining! The thread moves EXTREMELY FAST and its hard to keep up with, but its fun. The link is: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3128374. I hope I did that right! Im planning on making a headband with LMGH on it. I want to be recognizable after all!!

I've started practicing my song for the American Idol Experience!! Im going to be doing "Life is a Highway" by Rascal Flatts. Hopefully I will learn the lyrics before then or my plan will be totally ruined. I love to perform and just dont have the time or energy to do so in my normal life. I also want to meet this guy:

This is Greg Hutson and OMG is he a little hottie!!! He's one of the host on the Experience. I follow him on Facebook and Twitter, so yes, Im a stalker!! LOL! And a cougar! Bad Me! Ok, fine, I am happily married and I would never cheat on my hubby, but still.....ahhhh.....The only problem is that I would have to win a spot on stage in order to meet him and for the last 2 years I havent been able to do that! Grrrr! Cmon people! Let me be on stage!!! Just once. Watch, lets say I make it, I will probably have the other host and not Greg. Sad, sad..oh well.

The weather around Maine for June and so far in July has been very damp and humid. It actually reminds me a lot of Florida with its afternoon pop up thunderstorms. There's been twice that I've wanted to get in the pool, but a storm rolls through. I dont know what's with the pool this year anyways. Peter doesn't seem to be keeping it clean. (oh, did I just say it was Peter's fault??) Actually, he is the one who does all the pool maintenance. I do vacuum it, but I dont know all the chemical upkeep that he does. He is so busy that I try not to complain, but I dont want to swim in a dirty pool. Wow! I really do sound like a spoiled princess, dont I? I try to do it all myself, mow the lawn, etc, but sometimes I just want to be taken care of! Anyways, back to our summer:

We have gone on a couple of day trips around the State. One of the trips was to the only wire bridge in Maine, actually I think in the country. Heres a little history of it:
The Wire Bridge spanning the Carrabassett River in New Portland is a unique structure, the only survivor of four such bridges built in Maine in the 18002s and probably the only such bridge still standing in the US. The actual facts of its origin have frequently been misquoted. However, available records indicate the building of the bridge began in 1864 and was completed in 1866. Two men, David Elder and Captain Charles B. Clark, were responsible for the bridge design and construction.
The towers are constructed of timber framing and covered with boards protected by cedar shingles. In 1959 the 99th Maine Legislature enacted legislation for the preservation of this bridge. The bridge was renovated in 1961, when the tower bases were capped with concrete, the towers were rebuilt, steel suspender rods were replaced by steel cables, and a new timber deck was installed. The bridge was renovated again in 2009-2010 with work to outside of the steel cables. The tower framing timbers and main support cables are the original material. The span between towers is 198 feet.
Isnt that so cool!!??? Honestly I was a bit scared to walk on it at first as it moves while you are walking on it, but CARS drive on it, so I think it can handle my weight and it did because I am still here to write about it!

Another trip that we made was for Peters birthday. He wanted to go drive on the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire. This summary is off NHs tourism website:
The Kancamagus Highway is a 34.5 mile scenic drive along NH's Rt. 112 in Northern New Hampshire that is well known as one of the best Fall Foliage viewing areas in the country. The Kancamagus Highway is now designated an American Scenic Byway for its rich history, aesthetic beauty and culture.

The Kancamagus Scenic Byway takes you through a path cut through the White Mountain National Forest with breathtaking views of the White Mountains, the Swift River, Sabbaday Falls, Lower Falls and Rocky Gorge. The Kanc takes you to an elevation of just under 3,000 feet at its highest point at Kancamagus Pass on the flank of Mt. Kancamagus near Lincoln, NH.
This was truly an all day adventure as we left at 9am and didnt get back home until 7pm! I was so tired of sitting in the car, but it was truly beautiful! We also stopped at one of the few covered bridges in Maine near Sunday River ski resort. So nice.

Hows that for photo heavy, Karen?? Did I do good??!!!!

Ann, I LOVE your bows! If you don't wear them or you don't have use for them after your vacation I will buy them from you for Minnie's first trip!!! :)

Tinker326 said:
Ann, I LOVE your bows! If you don't wear them or you don't have use for them after your vacation I will buy them from you for Minnie's first trip!!! :)

I am non crafty. How did you make the bows? Someone made a bow for chelsea's dance costume and she loved it. I might try making her s disney one if it weren't too challenging.

Awww your bows are adorable! I am also non-crafty but I bought a few Disney bows to wear on my trip- I have coordinated my outfits to them. LOL

Your mini-trips look amazing!! My husband and I have talked about taking the boys up to Maine- I think they would love it.

Also, you'll have to let us all know what day you will be in DHS trying out! We are planning to be there Thurs the 22nd!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter