• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bought Riviera Despite Restrictions

ziravan

Welcome Home
Many of you might know that I’ve been a big critic of the resale restrictions at Riviera.

But. We love Riviera. It’s a beautiful resort. And the current $31 incentive for 200 points or more is hard to ignore. That brings the price down to $176/point and heck, we paid $165 for Poly 7 years ago!

So. How to hedge our bets on the resale restrictions?

We bought two contracts: 153 point fixed week standard studio Week 44 Jersey Week. That’s a great week, straddling Oct and Nov and a guaranteed standard studio for F&W will be in demand if we ever need to sale, we believe. And then, a 50 pt contract and small point contracts will be in demand we believe as well.

We looked a a couple of resale contracts but the owner wouldn’t budge off of the $140s. For $30 extra dollars, we’ll take the flexibility of a direct contract and the security of guaranteeing a standard studio each Fall.

We’re excited.

Also, we set it up this morning, and the points are already in our account!

Congrats, doesnt sound like a bad way to go to me if you love Riviera

Of the resorts for sale right now, Riviera is very attractive actually:

You get 6 more years than buying Grand Floridian, 8 more years than Aulani. Yes, GF comes with less resale restrictions, but an extra six years is quite meaningful.

Additionally, the resort itself is a great resort, and the closeness to the park, etc. is quite appealing.

Resale value only matters if you anticipate selling as a way to make money. If you want to keep the property forever, you can't go wrong.

Buy where you want to stay......
Riviera is an excellent value with the incentives..

If you buy direct, you don't need to worry about re-sale restrictions.
And if you really want to stay at Riviera for your Disney trips (and for good reason, it's a favorite resort for many people), then there is nothing wrong with buying re-sale there.

The ability to trade to other resorts is definitely not meaningless, but it's value is exaggerated. Many people, with or without restrictions, primarily stay at their home resort. If you are a holiday annual traveler, you may really need have many 7-month trading options. For others, they bought their home resort because they love it and don't have much interest in the other resorts.

When we bought in 2019, we did the same thing. Purchased a fixed week standard studio and a 50 point add on for giggles. Fixed week worked out well because it costs less points than the current chart.

I'm a bit perplexed at all the converts. Circa 2019 you guys were hostile and decidedly unwelcoming to Riviera purchasers. Perhaps we need to organise a Riviera pride event where we all arrive on vespas holding croissants twirling stylish moustaches (even the ladies).

When we bought in 2019, we did the same thing. Purchased a fixed week standard studio and a 50 point add on for giggles. Fixed week worked out well because it costs less points than the current chart.

I'm a bit perplexed at all the converts. Circa 2019 you guys were hostile and decidedly unwelcoming to Riviera purchasers. Perhaps we need to organise a Riviera pride event where we all arrive on vespas holding croissants twirling stylish moustaches (even the ladies).
Well. We stayed there. My DW loves it!

Many buyers can also get another year of points compared to Grand Floridian. Buy October or December Use Year at Riviera and they'll give you 2021 points now along with 2022 points in a few weeks. Buy at Grand Floridian and the first points won't come until the start of that '22 UY.

Congrats! It really is a beautiful resort.

Week 44 Jersey Week.
I was considering getting a guaranteed week for Jersey Week, but I thought Jersey Week moved around. Sometimes it was the first week of November, sometimes the 2nd. Am I wrong on that?

Congratulations! DH and I had this conversation last week. We determined the only way to buy RIV is to get a fixed week over a holiday and the balance on a small contract. Halloween week/F & W would be our choice. IMO this is your best bet if you need an offramp in the future and who knows what is coming down the pike... I'll be reading your post to DH shortly LOL!

pixiedust:

I was considering getting a guaranteed week for Jersey Week, but I thought Jersey Week moved around. Sometimes it was the first week of November, sometimes the 2nd. Am I wrong on that?
Not really sure but we’re not from Jersey so doesn’t matter to us. This weeks straddles Oct and Nov so, some years MNSSHP, some years MVMCP, and rarely, both. And F&W. And after it cools off.

It’s a really great week.

Congrats on the purchase.

Was the incentive you took advantage of for existing DVC members? On their website it shows only a $19 saving for 200 point Riviera purchases. Would definitely consider a similar purchase if I could get a similar discount.

Congtats! I did similar when I bought RIV about a year ago. I bought SV studio fixed week contracts for week 41 (usually Columbus Day week & my birthday) and week 49 (early December before things get too crazy around Christmas), plus a 50 point contract. And the way that they've adjusted the points charts, I'm already getting a discount for my fixed weeks.

I'm a little surprised by how few people buy fixed week contracts, but I know it doesn't fit everybody's travel style.

I did the same I bought 150/100 at the Ramada Riveria Resort when the price came down to 4k difference from PVB resale.

Restrictions were not my big issue - My concern was that while it is a well-designed and attractive resort, it is no more imaginative or Disney-like than an off-site hotel or even the Swan and Dolphin. But I think the days of resorts like OKW / PVB / VGF / BWV are over and it will be towers like BLT / RR / PVB2 from now on so I had to get over it.

For 4k extra I got Blue card benefits and 11-month booking at an Epcot resort past 2042.

Also, we set it up this morning, and the points are already in our account!
Congrats!!! Very excited for you!

Do you mind sharing what use year you got and which points you got for the RIV direct points? Someone said in this thread they’re giving 2021 points for RIV direct contracts?? We are very close to buying RIV direct points as well and we were told our use year would start March 2022.

Congrats on the purchase.

Was the incentive you took advantage of for existing DVC members? On their website it shows only a $19 saving for 200 point Riviera purchases. Would definitely consider a similar purchase if I could get a similar discount.
Yes for existing members

Congrats!!! Very excited for you!

Do you mind sharing what use year you got and which points you got for the RIV direct points? Someone said in this thread they’re giving 2021 points for RIV direct contracts?? We are very close to buying RIV direct points as well and we were told our use year would start March 2022.
We chose a June UY cause it matches our other contracts. We’ve had split contracts before and while it’s doable and I would do it again if it benefited me, I’d rather keep the same UY.

Contract starts with 2022 June UY points.

To get 2021 points, you have to purchase with a UY still to come in 2022. For example, if you bought an Oct UY in the next week, Sept 2022 is in the Oct 21 UY. We elected to keep our UY the same.

We chose a June UY cause it matches our other contracts. We’ve had split contracts before and while it’s doable and I would do it again if it benefited me, I’d rather keep the same UY.

Contract starts with 2022 June UY points.

To get 2021 points, you have to purchase with a UY still to come in 2022. For example, if you bought an Oct UY in the next week, Sept 2022 is in the Oct 21 UY. We elected to keep our UY the same.
Our UY for Poly was in Jun while our old contract for BCV was in April because we wanted the extra years’ points at Poly for having a UY month forward of our purchase in May 2015. We got the extra years’ points.

I liked it very much at the time, much less so as the years went by of managing two UY.

So. Been there done that, decided to keep my UYs the same this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter