Bohemian Rhapsody (the movie)..... (spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Disney1fan2002, Nov 2, 2018.

1. cinnaminny

cinnaminny DIS Veteran

I can not wait to see this movie. A few years ago the Oregon Symphony did a Queen tribute and the lead singer did such an amazing job doing Freddie, (great voice, real showman) that I learned to love all things Queen.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Elementary, My Dear Mickey

Just came home from seeing it, I thought it was a really beautiful movie. I always respected their talent but I found it interesting to learn a bit more about them as a group (well, mostly Freddie) but still their whole dynamic was interesting. This is a movie I will go see again.

mom2rb likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. AustinTink

AustinTink DIS Veteran

I loved it. I could not care less what the critics think. I think it had just the right balance of everything. We didn't need to get into the nitty gritty of his life.

moon, mom2rb and Kitty 34 like this.
  5. crazymama

crazymama DIS Veteran

I agree. I really enjoyed the movie but think it may have been a bit "sanitized." Some partying noted but me thinks it didn't quite show the reality. But this was perhaps a respectful move on the movie's part. I will definitely see it again!

6. Disney1fan2002

Disney1fan2002 <font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to

They were a rock band in the 70's/80's. No surprise that they partied, and partied HARD. It is what they did, and many bands still do. When you have that much fame and money, you get to party, and party hard. We don't need a movie to show us how much they partied. Freddy Mercury died of AIDS complications. It was no secret that he had MANY partners. Does the movie really need to get into that? I love that it was more about the relationship the band members had with each other... and Freddie's relationship with Mary.

Imzadi, TB'sWidow, TexasErin and 2 others like this.
  7. Saltywardog

Saltywardog Dis Dad #784

It's part of the band and effected them, to leave it out or act like it didn't happen just make this another fake movie. Watch out for those hollywood true stories. I think sacha baron cohen was right and probably would have done a better job.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Elementary, My Dear Mickey

Have you seen the movie? I don't think any of that stuff was left out. It was clearly there if you're paying attention. It was handled with subtlety and restraint, sure, but it was there. You don't need at R rating to tell a story.

Imzadi, Pea-n-Me, kaytieeldr and 7 others like this.
  9. HeyIt'sMe

HeyIt'sMe Nothin' to see here folks

My sister and I are going to see the movie this weekend. I re-watched the LiveAid concert on YouTube and I'm excited to see it in the movie. I hear it was the first scene the actors filmed on Day 1!

Every time I hear "Another One Bites the Dust" I think of my wedding reception. The DJ played that song as all the single men were gathering to catch the garter. :laughing:

DeniseJH likes this.
  10. TeresaBelle

TeresaBelle <font color=magenta>Still sleeps with a security b

I saw it Saturday and LOVED it!

[​IMG]

11. Kitty 34

Kitty 34 Hums in her sleep

Watched Queen in concert in 1977. Loved every minute of it! loved Freddy Mercury! Would love to see this movie! :love:

12. Disney1fan2002

Disney1fan2002 <font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to

Well said! The movie did not leave out those details, it just wasn't the focus of the movie, and it shouldn't have been. I think they did a great job telling their story.

Imzadi, kaytieeldr, moon and 2 others like this.
  13. ScottOKW2K

ScottOKW2K Wishing I was working for a REAL Mickey Mouse oper

I completely disagree :rolleyes:. I've always loved the song and I've never even watched Wayne's World.

BTW, the first three albums I bought were the Beatles White and Red album, and Queen's "A Night at the Opera".

14. goofyernmost

goofyernmost Aged to Perfection

Not denying you, but, I have been a life long Beatles fan and I don't have a clue what the Red album is. I never even heard of it. Can you clarify.

15. RedAngie

RedAngie 80's New Wave Girl

About 1972 or 73, after the Beatles broke up, Apple Records released two "Greatest Hits" double albums. The "Red Album" contained songs from 1962-66. The "Blue Album" from 1967-70.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Song lists are from CDs, but appear to be the same that were on the original vinyl albums.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

WebmasterMaryJo and firefly_ris like this.
  16. cabanafrau

cabanafrau DIS Veteran

The movie isn't supposed to be a Freddie Mercury biopic, it's about Queen as a whole. Sacha Baron Cohen was removed because he attempted to change the focus of the movie.
    Not sure I'll get the chance to catch it in the theater, but I've heard enough good about the performances that I'm sure I will watch at some point. I was wondering how anybody might pull off performing as Freddie because he was larger than life and a singular talent.

Pea-n-Me likes this.
  17. OnSpaceshipEarth

OnSpaceshipEarth DIS Veteran

Loved the movie and recommend to all. You don't have to be a Queen fan to enjoy it.

Side note: Queen's American record company Hollywood Records is owned by Disney and has been for the last 28 years.

18. rotlex

rotlex Is it summer yet?

As a huge Queen fan who is dying to see this, but not twice just yet, can anyone tell me if they think it is appropriate for a 10 year old? My son, 10, is dying to see it as well, but I can't tell from reviews and write ups just yet if there is anything too "risque".

He also loves Queen, even plays a number of their songs on guitar, but it's that age where I walk a fine line on what's OK or not. From reading here, at least so far, seems like it should be just fine? (Our daughter, 16, wants too see it too, but I'm making her wait until I decide if we can all go see it together) :D

19. Music City Mama

Music City Mama DIS Veteran

I can so relate to your post! We're all Queen fans (DH, DS15, DS11, and me). My 15 year old is a HUGE fan and owns every album, so it's a no-brainer that he should see it. I looked on commonsensemedia.org and I'm a little torn regarding my 11 1/2 year old, though.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/bohemian-rhapsody

I would like to see it as a family, but I just can't decide about the younger one.

rotlex likes this.
  20. china mom

china mom DIS Veteran

There are scenes of implied sex between Freddie and Mary and there a a couple of scenes where there is deep kissing between Freddie and men and implied sex. Nothing graphic or explicit IMO. I would not have had a problem taking my son as a ten year old

21. goofyernmost

goofyernmost Aged to Perfection

Thanks, I've got both of those but this is honestly the first time I have ever heard of them referred to as Red or Blue Album. The White album was called that because it was nothing but White. We always referred to those to as just the best of the Beatles.