Boardwalk Villas, Construction Notice

Tiggerette

You are *so much* my type of nerd!!
Hey y'all,

We have reservations in April 2017, and we received the following construction notice by email last week.
"- Upon your arrival, you will see and hear work in progress as we renovate Disney's BoardWalk Villas for your future enjoyment.
- You will also notice Cast Members conducting routine exterior painting and balcony maintenance throughout the Resort"

Has anyone else received this notice for May 2017 dates as well?

What options have others pursued in the past when receiving these construction notices?

Thanks!

We received that notice prior to our stay this past October. We didn't see or hear any construction at all during our stay. We had a boardwalk view room. Any construction that was going on at that time was not happening anywhere near our room or the main pool area.

ETA: Of course they could have something planned for May 2017 that would be disruptive, unlike whatever was going on (or not going on) in October 2016. I wish the notices were more specific about the work they plan to do at that time, which areas of the resort will be impacted, etc.

Last edited:
The refurb at BWV will last until roughly 2029 at current estimate.

2029? Golly, that's quite lengthy.

I called the DVC member services to ask for a little more detail as to what's expected, and if there was any particular view category that was more impacted than others. The work is mostly to the exterior to boardwalk and pool/garden, and we should (in theory) have use of the balcony during the painting. Interestingly, I was also alerted that there may be interruption in the water service during the overnight hours. I'm a bit nervous about that aspect of our stay.

They were painting the exterior in 2014. Is this a constant ongoing situation?

We received that notice prior to our stay this past October. We didn't see or hear any construction at all during our stay. We had a boardwalk view room. Any construction that was going on at that time was not happening anywhere near our room or the main pool area.

ETA: Of course they could have something planned for May 2017 that would be disruptive, unlike whatever was going on (or not going on) in October 2016. I wish the notices were more specific about the work they plan to do at that time, which areas of the resort will be impacted, etc.

Same here, we got the notice for October. They were working on the end near the Swan on the canal side, nowhere near our room.

I doubt they would know that far in advance exactly what area they will be in so they send it to everyone.

They were painting the exterior in 2014. Is this a constant ongoing situation?

It's a huge building, once they are done they probably start all over again ;-)

We had an interruption to water service one night during our stay. I cannot recall the exact hours but it was done at a time when most people would be asleep.

We were there in Aug 2015 during construction and could hear it in our room...very loudly. Then we were there Oct 2016 and got notice of construction again but had no impact in our room. We did notice many open or patched spots in hallway ceiling with buckets under. Saw workers working on one of the spots. Looked like they have water/pipe/roof leaks or something like that going on.

Last edited:
IMO while the exterior has been painted, I don't think that the job was done as good as it could have been. May have been a DVC budget issue and now for what ever reason, the new DVC management has decided to spend money on refurbishments and maintenance.

The BWV exteriors appear to be getting very thorough wood repair.

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks y'all for sharing your experiences and thoughts. DH and I decided we'll chance the stay rather than try to transfer to a different resort. One of the reasons we booked BWV was to be able to walk to Epcot's "Backdoor" at world showcase.

Speaking of, is the world showcase entrance typically open for 8am breakfast reservations?

And again, :thanks:

Thanks y'all for sharing your experiences and thoughts. DH and I decided we'll chance the stay rather than try to transfer to a different resort. One of the reasons we booked BWV was to be able to walk to Epcot's "Backdoor" at world showcase.

Speaking of, is the world showcase entrance typically open for 8am breakfast reservations?

And again, :thanks:
If you have an 8 AM restaurant reservation at Epcot, you will be allowed through at the International Gateway.

IMO while the exterior has been painted, I don't think that the job was done as good as it could have been. May have been a DVC budget issue and now for what ever reason, the new DVC management has decided to spend money on refurbishments and maintenance.

The BWV exteriors appear to be getting very thorough wood repair.

Bill, I thought if I recall that you were just there. Do you think it is worth relocating to SSR to avoid this Reno? The scaffolding pics look pretty involved. We are staying late January and haven't received a notice.

Bill, I thought if I recall that you were just there. Do you think it is worth relocating to SSR to avoid this Reno? The scaffolding pics look pretty involved. We are staying late January and haven't received a notice.

While we were there they were doing siding/column wood repair from cherry pickers. My guess is that they may block rooms that are in the construction area. You never know though, I still wonder why in the last year has Disney and DVC increased their resort rehab work to such an extent?

While we were there they were doing siding/column wood repair from cherry pickers. My guess is that they may block rooms that are in the construction area. You never know though, I still wonder why in the last year has Disney and DVC increased their resort rehab work to such an extent?

I also wonder about the pace of rehab, Bill. BWV had a fairly extensive rehab just a few years ago. Of course it is DVC members who have to worry about the cost, not Disney.

Thanks Bill. I'm not sure what to do. It bothers me. I booked this nearly a year ago, no word from Disney about the work. I was looking forward to enjoying the rehab at Boardwalk. Now I hear it's ongoing. Will think on it.

We got the same email for our mid-March stay. Since our home resort is "VWL," we are just kind of used to this. At least with BWV we know whatever inconvenience it causes will probably be worth the resort looking better than before and they won't even change its name!

Which view do you have booked? They were working on the canal side when I was there in October. Small sections at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter