BLT vs DRR

An idea -- hear me out! -- is VGF.

If I'm buying into a RIV cost and point chart, I'd rather do VGF. You don't care about blue card, and VGF contract length and point charts are very close to RIV (and 5 person studios). But it's a MUCH smaller property with terrifying cash rates that laugh at RIV, and is the flagship, so better. Once the walkway is done, you'll have all the advantages of BLT: proximity to MK, dining, room choices. But then Epcot has no appeal to me, and my view is that VGF is more valuable long run than RIV, and you can resell without lockdown. If I ever plan to sell or rent, VGF is looking much better than RIV.

I bought VGF because it took a hit with Covid (though that looks less true now) and the contract length is so long.

Actually, that’s not a bad idea. We love GF...never stayed there, but I’m sure we would love it. Especially with the new walkway and monorail. I guess I’ve let it get to my head because it’s so expensive, but comparatively, not really more than what I’m looking at.

My advice is always purchase what you love. Reading between the lines, your post already sounds like you favour Riviera. If that's the case, I would buy that. I own there because I think its beautiful and they have the best studios on property. I also agree with the previous recommendation to purchase a fixed week. We also bought one to hedge against any possible availability issues in the future. An insurance policy so to speak.

There are those that advocate that the sky will fall in if you buy Riviera. At this stage we don't know how the resort will behave once its sold out or with contracts on the secondary market that are restricted. This is many many years away to build enough resale contracts to cause an issue.

You my friend, are great at reading between the lines lol. I think those studios look amazing and I love the 2 showers. Grounds are gorgeous and gondola is a nice touch. I don’t plan on reselling, but knowing it holds its value is comforting - not to say it won’t still have value, because it definitely will. I have to ask my advisor about the fixed week.

Couple thoughts.

If you’re already an owner and hoping to stay at BLT in the summer 1 out of every 3 years in a studio I don’t think that will be an issue using your OKW points.

I think you’ll have a lot of trouble downgrading from an Old Key West one bedroom to a studio anywhere. If you can swing it, I’d buy enough points for a one bedroom. Or better yet, use your old Key West points to stay in a one bedroom at Bay Lake Tower.

Only if you’re ever thinking you might sell it. If it stays in your family as long as the Old Key West contract has, I would say no, it’s not a problem.

If you buy 150 Bay Lake Tower points, you’ll probably pay closer to $135 to $140.

if your goal for this is really to stay near the Magic Kingdom, I don’t see how Riviera helps you. But I also think that you’ll be able to stay near Magic Kingdom with the points you already have if you’re traveling in the summer, which since you keep referencing high season is when I think you’re probably traveling?

Definitly travel mainly in the summer. We squeeze in a trip during presidents week every once in a while, and occasionally go during other school breaks/holidays (Christmas and Easter).

I guess I have 3 separate goals. First is to get a contract for some points that will expire after my OKW 2057 expiration (silly, I know). Second, I’d like to have easier transportation to ANY park. But, being so close to the MK to the point where I could walk would be ideal given a choice. With the small BLT studios, I’d probably want to get a 1BR or 2BR, and like you said, I could probably use my OKW points and find availability for that. Third, I always tend to be very point conscious when booking, so if I ever go with just my wife and kids, I would only want a studio, and one that sleeps 5 in case we have a third child, or if my kid wants to bring a friend.

The other thing I like is I’d actually get the 2019 points if I purchase before the end of this month. Truthfully, I’d be a happy camper with either property and love the different points of views that everyone is giving to help me think this through. It’s not a small amount of money

I guess I’ve let it get to my head because it’s so expensive, but comparatively, not really more than what I’m looking at.

Yes, just compare the point chart of BLT to RIV. Now, imagine the point chart 10 years out.

Historically, VGF has been very spendy in points, but expansion has made it clear that point charts are escalating quickly. I will be thrilled to have the flagship resort, unrestricted, with the 2014 point chart.

Yes, just compare the point chart of BLT to RIV. Now, imagine the point chart 10 years out.

Historically, VGF has been very spendy in points, but expansion has made it clear that point charts are escalating quickly. I will be thrilled to have the flagship resort, unrestricted, with the 2014 point chart.

Admittedly, you lost me a bit there lol. Are you saying compare the VGF point chart to a new resort they build in 10 years from now. Meaning, VGF will always be pricey, but the new resorts even more so?

Admittedly, you lost me a bit there lol. Are you saying compare the VGF point chart to a new resort they build in 10 years from now. Meaning, VGF will always be pricey, but the new resorts even more so?

I'm saying 10 years from now, would you rather have locked down RIV or VGF, with the same pricing and point charts?

VGF's point chart seemed crazy, but it's the same as RIV's, which people are apparently actually buying.

VGF is the contract I intend to pass down, and the rest I will sell.

I'm saying 10 years from now, would you rather have locked down RIV or VGF, with the same pricing and point charts?

VGF's point chart seemed crazy, but it's the same as RIV's, which people are apparently actually buying.

VGF is the contract I intend to pass down, and the rest I will sell.

Gotcha...it does make sense. Like I said, I never really looked at it because I was in my own head with price, but that’s basically a wash at this point. Great suggestion

As your children get older you won't want to stay in just one studio and they get old quick so keep that in mind.
I would never buy a resort because someone else said to you will regret it.

List all the preferences as to what you want and leave money out of it until you can get down to two resorts. Weigh the options between them and add money into the factor after. Considering you already own OKW what does that give you already that you don't need and why I should buy list:

Considerations:
Room sizes - no large accommodations to fit your needs and you wont be happy
Transportation options - having to change several modes of transport to get where your going could be detrimental to your stress level
Food and beverage options - because you don't want to leave to find food or drinks after being out all day if you don't like the options
Length of contract - Are any of them long enough for your needs
Pool needs - If any
Park options - your preferred parks with easy access are always the best option

There are more I would list them all and compare I own at both POLY and RIV and it gives me plenty of options between the two. OKW is very nice stayed there a couple times just don't like needing a bus to get to the main lobby because I don't want to walk.

OP said they were traveling in summer with a studio not VGF's crazy Christmas week.

For June and a studio, that's 18/22 or 17/21 points, which I consider equal.

Edit to add: You could still rent out that crazy Christmas week! VGF!!!

Last edited:
if you're locked in on 150 RVA points, you might consider checking your couch cushions for spare change as the next +50 points (200 total) would only be +6,500 USD (130 USD per point for the incremental +50 points); this is because the incentives have some interesting break points ...

View attachment 519140
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...mmer-2020-expanded-list.3805288/post-62212830

for any direct purchase, you can split your deeds as you like as long as you buy them all at once; additional deeds do slightly increase your closing costs; for cash purchases, each additional deed costs +243.50 USD (225 USD doc fee + 18.50 recording fee) with all the other costs being proportional (so these proportional costs for 1x 1000 points = 10x 100 points); if you have a loan, splitting deeds may bring additional Δ costs per deed (check with your guide)

you can have direct deeds as small as 25 points at any direct resort including RVA (again as long as you buy them all at once)

also, as @DVCsloth mentioned, the incentives are based on the total amount of points purchased at one time no matter how you split them

sounds like you have some good options; whatever you land on, may it be as fruitful as your family's OKW points! 🍷

Thanks so much! While 200 costs more, I’m more concerned about having 600 points total. I don’t think I could ever use all of those, and I don’t know if I really want to go into this with the intent of having to rent it out. That’s why I originally just wanted to buy 100 extra points, but that doesn’t seem so economical when it comes to RR because of the incentives.

VGF vs. RVA point charts ...

average % increase in points (VGF - RVA) / RVA
(range % increase for individual seasons)
room type20202021
deluxe studio - standard​
+11%
(+6% to +18%)
+11%
(+7% to +16%)
deluxe studio - lake / preferred​
+9%
(+3% to + 13%)
+7%
(+4% to +13%)
one bedroom - standard​
+8%
(+6% to +10%)
+9%
(+6% to +11%)​
one bedroom - lake / preferred​
+5%
(+1% to +11%)
+4%
(+1% to +6%)
two bedroom - standard​
+14%
(+12% to +15%)
+14%
(+11% to +15%)
two bedroom - lake / preferred​
+13%
(+8% to +20%)
+11%
(+8% to +15%)
three bedroom - lake / preferred​
+11%
(+8% to +14%)
+10%
(+8% to +14%)

it is true VGF and RVA have some days that cost the same number of points (all Fri-Sat)
  • in 2020, 19 days in deluxe studio - lake / preferred
  • in 2020, 21 days in one bedroom - lake / preferred
  • in 2021, 18 days in deluxe studio - lake / preferred
  • in 2021, 8 days in one bedroom - lake / preferred
deluxe studio - lake / preferred (19 days, all Fri-Sat in Choice Season)
2-3, 9-10, 16-17, 23-24, 30-31 Oct 2020
6-7, 13-14, 20-21, 28 Nov 2020
18-19 Dec 2020

one bedroom - lake / preferred (21 days, all Fri-Sat in Dream Season)
1, 7-8, 14-15 Feb 2020
1-2, 8-9, 15-16, 22-23, 29-30 May 2020
5-6 Jun 2020
21-22, 28-29 Aug 2020

deluxe studio - lake / preferred (18 days, all Fri-Sat in Season B)
1-2, 8-9, 15-16, 22-23, 29-30 Jan 2021
24-25 Sep 2021
3-4, 10-11, 17-18 Dec 2021

one bedroom - lake / preferred (8 days, all Fri-Sat in Season D)
5-6, 12-13 Feb 2021
20-21, 27-28 Aug 2021

edit: formatting

And thank you for sharing this point chart. I guess 11% isn’t that much more at the end of the day, but can add up over time.

And thank you for sharing this point chart. I guess 11% isn’t that much more at the end of the day, but can add up over time.

VGF's chart is bonkers over Christmas, which makes it looks more expensive overall.

For the summer, it's very close to RIV.

If you want to stay at BLT, you can likely do that on your OKW points, as long as you are booking a 1br and aren't booking during one of the crazy seasons. If you are booking during one of the crazy seasons, I'd suggest getting enough points for a 1br lake view. Coming from OKW, you'll find that the BLT studios are smallish. They're probably fine for your current situation, but a few years from now, as your children grow up, you'll find them unacceptably small.

I, personally, would never buy RIV. The resale restrictions may become an issue if I need to sell it. The points charts are crazy crazy high compared to many other resorts. If I want to pay that number of points, I'm going to be a GFV, the flagship of the DVC resorts!

I’m more concerned about having 600 points total. I don’t think I could ever use all of those, and I don’t know if I really want to go into this with the intent of having to rent it out.
This one made me chuckle 😉

Granted, you’ve got a lot of OKW points, and you’ve been doing this awhile so you do understand- but your kiddos are so young, and they don’t take up much space (yet). I honestly don’t think you’ll have a problem using 600 points... and may find 500 isn’t enough!

I agree with the OP’s that BLT studios are really small. I still love it there, but 3 (grown) people is plenty in one of those rooms. On the other hand, their 1-bedrooms are some of the most spacious on property and would allow you to bring friends! 👍🏻 But if you’re looking at large studios (and by large, I mean comfortably sleeping 5 PLUS more than 1 bathroom area- so, only VGF, RIV & Poly), you’re looking at higher points charts. Also, if you’re looking at 1-bedrooms (or even 2!), you will definitely need more points for those... so, 600 points really shouldn’t be “a problem” (just their MF’s will be) 😉

We started with 200+ points, which we thought we could make work. That didn’t last long before we doubled our points, & now we’re adding another ~200... and the number one reason for always *needing* more? We like to bring extra fam/cousins with us! 😁 We love being able to share our DVC & make special memories together 🤩

Good luck sorting this all out and choosing your second DVC home. I’m sure you will be happy with whatever you decide!! 🎉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter