BLT vs DRR

Jecks

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone,

I need some opinions here...

My family currently has 400 OKW points - bought most back in '94 at a great price direct from Disney. We added the 15 year extension to all points so they expire in 2057.

I was considering purchasing some additional points at either BLT or DRR. I like BLT because of its location and the fact that I now have small children, so I will be living mostly at MK for the next few years (my dad bought the original timeshare when I was a kid). I'd really like the advantage of booking a room at the 11 month window to guarantee that I will be able to stay for 6-7 nights in a theme park or standard view studio. With that being said, I would probably purchase 70-75 points and make the stay at BLT every 2-3 years and use OKW points on off years. I would look for a resale on the BLT and hope to pay around $150-$160pp.

On the other hand, DRR looks absolutely gorgeous, has quick transportation to EP and HS and has an additional 10 years on the deed (who knows what life will look like in 50 years, and I might not be here), and the studios sleep 5 and have 2 showers. I feel as though I would have to get 150 points because thats when the incentives drop the points to $170pp. Then, I would have 550 points and that just seems like a lot - I know there are people who have much, much more than that. Also, I would get the 2019 points if I buy before August 31 (Sept UY).

Is it worth buying at BLT so I have better picking in securing a studio, or do you think I will be able to snag one with my OKW points 7 months out? Conversely, do you think I would have any luck getting a studio at DRR in the future at the 7 month window for 6-7 nights since the resort is huge? Do you think its worth getting DRR even though I would have to get about double the points I really want to get so I can take advantage of the incentive? Is the resale issue at DRR really going to be any issue - I'm sure this is the new norm for every property they construct moving forward, not to mention I really don't plan on selling off.

Thoughts?

I would probably go with Riviera if you can go for 150 points and swing the HOA. Especially if going to use it for studios. I would break it up into 2 contracts though. Good luck, don't think you can go wrong either way.

Just a mention that the BLT studios are some of the smallest. Depending on when you travel, you can still get BLT, at least LV.

Owning at RIV, gives you a great chance to get SV rooms which stretches your points there.

I would also choose RIV...but I do own both For studios, I won’t stay at BLT with more than 2.

I would not buy RIV expecting studios long term. It doesn't matter if you plan on selling off, you'll be competing with a bunch of locked down resale points in a few years.

The resale restrictions will create a third class of RIV resale who can only stay at RIV, making booking even tighter than it is now. Studios are already tight -- and that's when RIV isn't supposed to sell out for years, and there are practically no resale points in circulation.

BLT studio is definitely doable and sounds like a great plan! Some kind of BLT studio is usually available at 7MO off peak too. But... BLT studios are SMALL.

If you have a family of 5 and want the two showers, you might consider Poly.

Good points. At the moment my family has 4. 6 month old, 3 year old and my wife and me.

I like the idea of splitting my points into 2 smaller contracts at RR, but then we completely lose out on the incentives, which is the only reason I was considering buying there.

I would not buy RIV expecting studios long term. It doesn't matter if you plan on selling off, you'll be competing with a bunch of locked down resale points in a few years.

The resale restrictions will create a third class of RIV resale who can only stay at RIV, making booking even tighter than it is now. Studios are already tight -- and that's when RIV isn't supposed to sell out for years, and there are practically no resale points in circulation.

BLT studio is definitely doable and sounds like a great plan! Some kind of BLT studio is usually available at 7MO off peak too. But... BLT studios are SMALL.

If you have a family of 5 and want the two showers, you might consider Poly.

Interesting points. That’s what I’m scared of. Since this whole resale restriction is new, I don’t know what to expect. But that’s a good point that it will be increasingly more difficult to secure a studio at RR. But also could be reason to purchase there...this way I can book one 11 months out.

Good points. At the moment my family has 4. 6 month old, 3 year old and my wife and me.

I like the idea of splitting my points into 2 smaller contracts at RR, but then we completely lose out on the incentives, which is the only reason I was considering buying there.
Don't think you will lose the incentives, but they will charge for 2 closings.

You would still get the incentives if you buy them at the same time. You’ll just also pay the same closing costs. However I believe the minimum purchase is 100 points at Riviera.

If you plan to visit often at the same time, it might be worth considering a fixed week to guarantee that standard studio.

Umm you both raise some amazing points. I called and left a message for my advisor, as well as left a voicemail.

I hope I can do it for 2 75 point contracts. It would suck if 100 points is the minimum.

You would still get the incentives if you buy them at the same time. You’ll just also pay the same closing costs. However I believe the minimum purchase is 100 points at Riviera.

If you plan to visit often at the same time, it might be worth considering a fixed week to guarantee that standard studio.

so my wife and I are both in the education field, so we could totally visit the same time ever year. My concern is that we can ONLY go during peak season, so that mightmake it super expensive. I will definitely explore that option though.

With that being said, we do tend to go with a bunch of people every time we go, so we usually go for a 1 or 2 bedroom at OKW, so being locked into a studio might not be the best thing for us. I don’t know that I would try a 1 or 2 bedroom at RR more than once because it’s so freaking expensive on the point chart.

Definitely worth exploring though. Thanks!!

so my wife and I are both in the education field, so we could totally visit the same time ever year. My concern is that we can ONLY go during peak season, so that mightmake it super expensive. I will definitely explore that option though.

With that being said, we do tend to go with a bunch of people every time we go, so we usually go for a 1 or 2 bedroom at OKW, so being locked into a studio might not be the best thing for us. I don’t know that I would try a 1 or 2 bedroom at RR more than once because it’s so freaking expensive on the point chart.

Definitely worth exploring though. Thanks!!
1BRs at Riviera are super expensive!
You don’t have to use the Guaranteed Week every year. If you are traveling with friends and need the larger accommodations, you could cancel the fixed week and use the points towards a larger room and/or different resort. But the nice thing about the GW is you always have that week if you want it.

The other thing is that you always get your week, regardless of the point chart. If you go during peak times and expect over time for points during that time to increase, then a GW can be a huge benefit as you’ll never pay more (though of course the reverse could also be true!).

As an example, the CCV fixed weeks for weeks 47 and 48 are 118 for a studio; they were 107 without the FW premium. In 2021 - as point charts have adjusted over time - those same two weeks are now 123 and 110, respectively. My “premium” cost went from 22 points to 3 points (-5 for the first and 8 points for the second).

Yea, that RIV point chart is no joke, but 2042 resorts expire so fast. BLT is a nice balance of both and gives you flexibility with 1-2BR and studios.

You should be able to book something at RIV a couple times using your OKW points. You don't have to buy into it to stay there a couple times.

Yea, that RIV point chart is no joke, but 2042 resorts expire so fast. BLT is a nice balance of both and gives you flexibility with 1-2BR and studios.

You should be able to book something at RIV a couple times using your OKW points. You don't have to buy into it to stay there a couple times.

Well, the good thing is my OKW doesn’t expire until 2057. BLT is 2060, so I wouldn’t really gain any extra years. Riviera is 2070, so at least I’d (or my kids) get an extra 13 years.

I do think I’d like to stay at RR as time goes on with the convenience of the gondola and 2 showers. If we go for a third child (that conversation deserves it’s own thread lol) then RR studios will be a great thing. OKW studio only fits 4, so I’d always have to get a 1 BR for a simple family trip.That would cost more than the studio at RR (at least it does now). Even if I don’t have a third, RR studio would allow for us to bring one of my kids friends when they’re older...some of my best Disney trips was when I brought my friends.

1BRs at Riviera are super expensive!
You don’t have to use the Guaranteed Week every year. If you are traveling with friends and need the larger accommodations, you could cancel the fixed week and use the points towards a larger room and/or different resort. But the nice thing about the GW is you always have that week if you want it.

The other thing is that you always get your week, regardless of the point chart. If you go during peak times and expect over time for points during that time to increase, then a GW can be a huge benefit as you’ll never pay more (though of course the reverse could also be true!).

As an example, the CCV fixed weeks for weeks 47 and 48 are 118 for a studio; they were 107 without the FW premium. In 2021 - as point charts have adjusted over time - those same two weeks are now 123 and 110, respectively. My “premium” cost went from 22 points to 3 points (-5 for the first and 8 points for the second).

Fair point. Please help me with my understanding of the point charts, because I might be off on this.

The way it was explained to me, the resort can ONLY charge a maximum number of points for their rooms each year. This means that the point value for staying doesn’t necessarily increase too much over time because if one room becomes more expensive, it gets cheaper somewhere else. Granted, they could always play a game and charge even more for peak (like they’re doing for 2021) and hope people burn through points opening up the possibility of empty rooms elsewhere in the year that they can rent out. I have no idea if that would even make sense. Just thinking out loud.

I assume you already have the blue card due to your OKW points? And your main motivation seems to be to secure a studio near MK because you have young children? I would consider the studios at both VGF and Poly to be better than BLT. They both have 3 sleeping surfaces and the split bath. VGF will soon be walkable to MK. If you want MK studios, I would not purchse BLT. If you want MK 1BR, BLT is your best bet because the 1 BR has two full baths. Too many unknowns for the future of RIV IMHO, but if that is what you really want, then just get RIV.

The points chart at RIV is what is keeping me from buying there...we always get a 1Br...

An idea -- hear me out! -- is VGF.

If I'm buying into a RIV cost and point chart, I'd rather do VGF. You don't care about blue card, and VGF contract length and point charts are very close to RIV (and 5 person studios). But it's a MUCH smaller property with terrifying cash rates that laugh at RIV, and is the flagship, so better. Once the walkway is done, you'll have all the advantages of BLT: proximity to MK, dining, room choices. But then Epcot has no appeal to me, and my view is that VGF is more valuable long run than RIV, and you can resell without lockdown. If I ever plan to sell or rent, VGF is looking much better than RIV.

I bought VGF because it took a hit with Covid (though that looks less true now) and the contract length is so long.

Last edited:
My advice is always purchase what you love. Reading between the lines, your post already sounds like you favour Riviera. If that's the case, I would buy that. I own there because I think its beautiful and they have the best studios on property. I also agree with the previous recommendation to purchase a fixed week. We also bought one to hedge against any possible availability issues in the future. An insurance policy so to speak.

There are those that advocate that the sky will fall in if you buy Riviera. At this stage we don't know how the resort will behave once its sold out or with contracts on the secondary market that are restricted. This is many many years away to build enough resale contracts to cause an issue.

Couple thoughts.

If you’re already an owner and hoping to stay at BLT in the summer 1 out of every 3 years in a studio I don’t think that will be an issue using your OKW points.
Is it worth buying at BLT so I have better picking in securing a studio
I think you’ll have a lot of trouble downgrading from an Old Key West one bedroom to a studio anywhere. If you can swing it, I’d buy enough points for a one bedroom. Or better yet, use your old Key West points to stay in a one bedroom at Bay Lake Tower.
Is the resale issue at DRR really going to be any issue
Only if you’re ever thinking you might sell it. If it stays in your family as long as the Old Key West contract has, I would say no, it’s not a problem.
With that being said, I would probably purchase 70-75 points and make the stay at BLT every 2-3 years and use OKW points on off years. I would look for a resale on the BLT and hope to pay around $150-$160pp.
I feel as though I would have to get 150 points because thats when the incentives drop the points to $170pp
If you buy 150 Bay Lake Tower points, you’ll probably pay closer to $135 to $140.

if your goal for this is really to stay near the Magic Kingdom, I don’t see how Riviera helps you. But I also think that you’ll be able to stay near Magic Kingdom with the points you already have if you’re traveling in the summer, which since you keep referencing high season is when I think you’re probably traveling?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter