BLT versus Grand Floridian

Not a big fan of how disconnected VGF is from the resort but its a very nice building in a good location being centrally located between GF and POLY.

We toured a 2BR at BLT last week and wow I was severely unimpressed. I had looked at lots of walk throughs and it was on my short list for adding on for the direct benefits last summer. I am glad we decided to pass and ended up getting RIV (we originally bought resale BWV).

Not sure where you live but they had 2BRs at both BLT and VGF for showing this last week. Possibly you could make a quick trip for a single night to see them?

BLT is due for a refurb in the next couple of years, hopefully they move to a murphy bed and improve the interior a bit.

I'm a big fan of the dedicated 2 bedroom units at BLT. They work perfect for us when we go with family.

Personal preference I think.

I like Bay Lake. I like the subdued/lack of theming, location, point chart, pretty much everything about it.

I'm not a fancy guy, so I never feel comfortable at the GF. Too fancy for me. I totally respect and appreciate the resort, it's just not for me.

BLT owner- and that’s really why I landed there too. GF is gorgeous/elegant- but that’s not necessarily what I’m looking for coming out of MK toting souvenir bags, kids, and possibly dripping wet from Splash. Also, there are other places I would go for the fancier vibe (e.g. The Cloister at Sea Island, GA, the Biltmore in Asheville, NC, etc.) if I’m looking for that type of vacation.

Do enjoy going over to GF for a nice dinner or to appreciate the lobby- and to be fair the VGF has a lmore private/home feel than the resort as a whole- but ultimately- I just feel like I should be in a blazer there instead of my Goofy hat (lol). Hard to explain subconscious thing.

All that said- you really can’t go wrong with either. Two of the elite properties (w/GF probably #1) in the DVC portfolio IMHO w/absolute primo locations which is the name of the game in real estate/real estate interests.

Last edited:

I've only stayed in a studio at VGF and I wasn't impressed with the theming. I'm sure the one bedrooms are better, but they're also much more expensive than the options available at BLT. I really think it's going to come down to where you prefer to stay. I personally prefer BLT, which is why I own there.

The new walkway certainly makes VGF more attractive, and a lake view at BLT will likely be available at 7 months if you want to stay there. Annual dues are very similar.

Buy VGF if you want to stay at VGF most of the time.
Buy BLT is you want to stay at BLT in the less expensive standard view category.
Buy something else cheaper (like SSR) if you're willing to take the risk and book one bedroom lake-view's at BLT.
Of the resorts I have stayed in the theming of BLT was by far the least impressive. We only haven’t stayed at BCV and BRV/CCV yet. BLT has some positives, but it also has a lot of negatives, all resorts have them. We try to enjoy all of them.

We just bought at VGF and love it! Stayed there in November on a cash stay and to me I just love that resort and we always stayed there so that’s why we bought there. But just watching that monorail go thru thru the Contemporary on our last trip, ito so iconic Disney we are thinking of buying a small contract there as well for quick weekend stays as we are only a 3 1/2 hour drive!

What I have found is with just about any DVC resort we have stayed at, the joy in my DW's face just being at WDW with me makes every resort a favorite. Well except for AKL and OKW, she'd really rather stay anywhere else, even SSR (which we are really starting to like).

For a big family I think the extra bathroom is a must . But I prefer the VGF theming .

I’m trying out VGF in April, but that extra bathroom in the BLT 1 bed came in really handy when we were there in Jan. It was much easier to bathe my kids in the regular tub rather than the big tub.

You made the right choice. We have stayed at all in at least a 1 bed. BLT one a one and done for us. You cant compare the grounds of VGF. VGF has a spa and salon and is a hop skip jump to Poly for Ohana or a dole whip. Of all the resorts I have been to- the lobby of BLT was the worst and the service was shockingly terrible. The windows were COVERED in spider webs on the outside. The extra bathroom is nice and I think the theming is great but there is only one Grande Dame and that's GF and you need that 11 month window if you ever plan to go during the holidays.

We just got pack from a split stay at OKW and BLT. While we loved both resorts, BLT didn't have the Disney Magic for us. The theming is Disney lite and lacked charm. The quick walk back at the end of the day was great, but the walk doesn't generate memories with our kids. OKW was packed with Disney charm, and felt like home, so much so we are selling our BLT to add on more OKW points.

We toured VGF during our stay, and got all the same vibes at VGF that we did at OKW. Everything there felt packed.with Disney magic. The exact comment that my wife made was that it has the exact same charm of OKW but with the ambiance for "rich folk". She didn't mean that as a reflection on value and price, but as if the same designers did both hotels, one with the intention of appealing to 1900s Victorian Upper.class.

We just got pack from a split stay at OKW and BLT. While we loved both resorts, BLT didn't have the Disney Magic for us. The theming is Disney lite and lacked charm. The quick walk back at the end of the day was great, but the walk doesn't generate memories with our kids. OKW was packed with Disney charm, and felt like home, so much so we are selling our BLT to add on more OKW points.

We toured VGF during our stay, and got all the same vibes at VGF that we did at OKW.
Everything there felt packed.with Disney magic. The exact comment that my wife made was that it has the exact same charm of OKW but with the ambiance for "rich folk". She didn't mean that as a reflection on value and price, but as if the same designers did both hotels, one with the intention of appealing to 1900s Victorian Upper.class.
Interesting.

I own at the Poly and am currently adding on at BLT because I love the walkway to MK. Plus I love how you can look out your window at BLT and MK is right there when you're in a TPV room. Just can't beat that view anywhere! I considered adding on at GF instead but since I already own at the Poly, I can easily access the amenities (Dining/Spa) there. I have yet to experience the walkway from GF to MK so can't say if that would've swayed my opinion. I think the perception that you have to walk around the water to get to MK would make me feel that the walk is longer than BLT's. I think I read somewhere on the forum that the walk is actually pretty similar in distance.

I own both - I like BLT for extra bathroom and walk to MK and convenience to TOW lounge...it’s one of our fall go to places for MNSSHP ease - totally dislike the theming...
I like VGF for grounds, pool and decor - we like to stay there for May - don’t care for the walk to the main lobby as I have to dodge luggage racks with my scooter. Another point to consider - GF lobby is usually packed with people checking out the readout and lots of wedding parties getting pictures on the staircase and don’t even think about Christmas time with the Gingerbread House - I personally find all that annoying...

Last visit I walked both the VGF and BLT walkway to MK, actually VGF (from the villa) one is quite a bit longer, almost double the distance.

The numbers here fits my experience: https://dvcnews.com/index.php/other...is-walk-from-magic-kingdom-to-grand-floridian
  • Magic Kingdom to Grand Floridian Lobby: .70 miles
  • Magic Kingdom to Grand Floridian villas lobby: .83 miles
  • Magic Kingdom to Polynesian Tokelau: 1.15 miles
  • Magic Kingdom to Polynesian Moorea: 1.44 miles
  • Magic Kingdom to Bay Lake Tower lobby: .45 miles
  • BoardWalk lobby to Epcot International Gateway: .38 miles
  • BoardWalk lobby to Disney's Hollywood Studios: .75 miles
  • Epcot to Disney's Hollywood Studios: 1.13 miles

Last visit I walked both the VGF and BLT walkway to MK, actually VGF (from the villa) one is quite a bit longer, almost double the distance.

The numbers here fits my experience: https://dvcnews.com/index.php/other...is-walk-from-magic-kingdom-to-grand-floridian
  • Magic Kingdom to Grand Floridian Lobby: .70 miles
  • Magic Kingdom to Grand Floridian villas lobby: .83 miles
  • Magic Kingdom to Polynesian Tokelau: 1.15 miles
  • Magic Kingdom to Polynesian Moorea: 1.44 miles
  • Magic Kingdom to Bay Lake Tower lobby: .45 miles
  • BoardWalk lobby to Epcot International Gateway: .38 miles
  • BoardWalk lobby to Disney's Hollywood Studios: .75 miles
  • Epcot to Disney's Hollywood Studios: 1.13 miles
Thanks I was wondering about the different distance from one site to another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts