BLT Resale or RIV Direct

I think our big hesitation with VGF is primarily the point chart and the slightly higher cost per point. In fact, I didn't even consider that we wouldn't be getting 2021 UY points. We'd have to buy additional points over what we would need at Riviera or BLT to make sure we have some type of reservation at the 11 month mark before switching it to somewhere else at 7months.

I just don't see us staying at VGF due to the steep point cost beyond Riviera and BLT. While Riviera has a steeper point cost beyond that of BLT, I could see us staying there some/most of the time as it's not that many more points than BLT and seems super nice.

Then maybe RIV is a good compromise for you and if you go direct, you know that the new Poly tower, regardless of association, will be open to you.

If you like BLT, I would personally buy BLT.

With young kids, Magic Kingdom is the place to be. BLT has a more favorable point chart, so if you like BLT then it seems like an easy choice.

Your reasoning is sound. And if I could travel back in time to when we bought our first contract with our first kid having just been born, I would have sold my wife harder on BLT rather than VGF.

Ultimately we both like VGF better, so I don’t regret it. But in the end, we both like being frugal more.

We also always book 1BR’s.

Your thinking on BLT with the extra bathroom is good. But I will say this for VGF. When your kids are really little, the spacious VGF 1 BR’s might as well be 2 bedrooms. The master bedroom’s walk in closet is big enough to fit TWO cribs into. I know this because I’ve done it!

I bough BLT resale in 2013 for under $100 per point and just sold two 200 point contracts for an average of $165 per point. BLT holds value. I personally would not buy Riviera due to the resale restrictions.

Lots of valid points (pun intended) made already but one thing to think about is that the resale price will also likely increase over the course of your contract, outside of economic downturns. So even if RIV doesn’t “hold its value” compared to BLT, it will still likely be selling for more than $140/pt 15-20 years from now.

I was debating between a direct contract at RIV vs VGF and RIV won out due to:
- longer contract
- I like the hotel better
- HS/Epcot location when the 2042 Epcot DVC hotels expire
- assumption that Poly2 will also have restrictions and, if it doesn’t, they will likely not let RIV be the only hotel with them. Yes, I know it is now but it will either be the first of many or the only one in an experiment.
- Unknown impact of VGF2 on the long term value of VGF.

Lots of valid points (pun intended) made already but one thing to think about is that the resale price will also likely increase over the course of your contract, outside of economic downturns. So even if RIV doesn’t “hold its value” compared to BLT, it will still likely be selling for more than $140/pt 15-20 years from now.

I was debating between a direct contract at RIV vs VGF and RIV won out due to:
- longer contract
- I like the hotel better
- HS/Epcot location when the 2042 Epcot DVC hotels expire
- assumption that Poly2 will also have restrictions and, if it doesn’t, they will likely not let RIV be the only hotel with them. Yes, I know it is now but it will either be the first of many or the only one in an experiment.
- Unknown impact of VGF2 on the long term value of VGF.

And, even if RIV isn't selling for more than that...or less...staying away from a resort you like and want to enjoy for some hypothetical resale value that no one can predict? I just don't understand that.

Now, if you don't care or its not a huge loss to not be able to stay or own RIV, then I get....but if the DVC product goes that way it seems to be going, in 20 years, those people buying BLT today may not get their money back either when the 2042 resorts drop off and more of the near park resorts are restricted from current resale of BLT.

And, even if RIV isn't selling for more than that...or less...staying away from a resort you like and want to enjoy for some hypothetical resale value that no one can predict? I just don't understand that.

Now, if you don't care or its not a huge loss to not be able to stay or own RIV, then I get....but if the DVC product goes that way it seems to be going, in 20 years, those people buying BLT today may not get their money back either when the 2042 resorts drop off and more of the near park resorts are restricted from current resale of BLT.
There she goes spreading fear again -

Why would you buy a resort that is clearly not right for your family - BLT seems perfect for you.
Buy it resale ( in 3 small contracts) - and do the math on the savings - every so-called "perk' of direct will pale in comparison.

When your kids are older you may want to sell BLT and buy whatever the new BWV is or the newer Poly - since you bought resale you will not take a bath on the points. People here will talk about being "locked out" of resorts but the resale contracts for BLT sell quick so you are not locked into anything.

The 7-month availability lately kinda sucks for parents who need specific weeks due to school. If you don't buy where you want to stay it will be a hassle.

Last edited:

There she goes spreading fear again -

Why would you buy a resort that is clearly not right for your family - BLT seems perfect for you .
Buy it resale ( in 3 small contracts) - and do the math on the savings - every so-called "perk' of direct will pale in comparison. When your kids are older you may want to sell BLT and buy whatever the new BWV is or the newer Poly - since you bought resale you will not take a huge bath on the points. People here will talk about being "locked our " of resorts but the resale contracts for BLT sell so you are not locked into anything.

The 7-month availability lately kinda sucks for parents who need specific weeks due to school. If you don't buy where you want to stay it will be a hassle.

What did I post that was fear? My response wasn’t even to the OP but the reality of where DVC could be headed.

Everything I posted is a possibility right now.

There is no need to be rude or sarcastic to others

Last edited:
What did I post that was fear?
"in 20 years, those people buying BLT today may not get their money back either when the 2042 resorts drop off and more of the near park resorts are restricted from current resale of BLT."

lets start with that last comment - you have no idea where DVC is heading, and your guess runs counter to the 20 year history of DVC prices.

"in 20 years, those people buying BLT today may not get their money back either when the 2042 resorts drop off and more of the near park resorts are restricted from current resale of BLT."

lets start with that last comment

That’s all true. No one know if in 20 years if the BLT resort will hold value. You certainly don’t.

In 2042x those resorts will be gone. That is a fact.

And if they come back, based on the rules today, they will be restricted.

DVD has said all new resorts will be restricted. So the only way it doesn’t happen is if they change the rules back.

All real possibilities one should consider. Not fear at all.

Last edited:
That’s all true. No one know if in 20 years BLT resort will hold value or if the 2042 resorts are there and if they are, they could be restricted.

All real possibilities one should consider. Not fear at all.
Your comment is JUST as irresponsible as saying you will make a killing reselling in 20 years ( but if you look at the history of DVC that would be closer to historical performance)

You see the 7-month charts just like I do - Buy where you want to stay when you have school-aged kids

My family is much older than yours but we we very recently went through this. We are planning for 2 bedroom stays Sun-Thurs 2/3 times per year and we have a lot of flexibility on those dates. We bought 200 at RIV and 240 at GF direct (after RIV so we got the members pricing). I am now actively looking for AKL resale and if those keep getting taken in ROFR I may look at CCV more seriously but both of these will be more as SAP than anything.

Last edited:
Your comment is JUST as irresponsible as saying you will make a killing reselling in 20 years ( but if you look at the history of DVC that would be closer to historical performance)

You see the 7-month charts just like I do - Buy where you want to stay when you have school-aged kids

I don't see it that way. I am sharing with a potential buyer what the current rules are and what is a potential to happen down the road. There are a lot of posters who really do not understand all the changes happening and what is and is not possible.

Saying to someone BLT resale may..I used the word may... not be worth more in 20 years is simply a true statement. Just like no one knows whether RIV will or will not hold its value if more resorts are restricted.

We simply can't predict what will happen to the resale market in the future with a changing product. . You will find that my advice has, and always is, that I do not believe resale value should be part of the equation because it is too much of an unknown.

As I said, my response wasn't to the OP...but I will always give clear information to a buyer to make the decisions for themselves.

But I definitely do not believe anyone should shy away from any resort they are considering based on resale value, regardless of historical performance, or not. If one loves BLT, buy it. If one loves RIV, buy it. If one has no care to own unrestricted points and is okay finding other ways to stay at the new resorts, assuming DVD doesn't reverse course on restrictions, go for it.

But, helping people understand the what ifs is not fear. Many don't think of some of the information I, and others share. And the OP did ask for information regarding other resorts, so they obviously wanted information to help them in their decision and choosing BLT, based on what has happened with ROFR, was no longer the only option they were considering.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter