BLT -- A Sandwich or a Resort? Nov 09 TR (12/9 Lessons Learned)

DTD

Priority - World of Disney, Once Upon a Toy

Seconds - Lego Store

Food - Ghiradelli and Goofy's Candy Co

So last night I went through all the menus that I had printed from All Ears and did my first cut of restaurants. I only started with those places that are either in a theme park or that we can easily get to on the monorail/boats.

I still need to narrow this list down more. I'm not even sure we'll get to any TS but I want to be prepared so I'll make some ADRs just in case. If I have to cancel, then I'll make someone really happy!

Please provide any good/bad/ugly comments on your experiences. Those marked with a * are ones that I've never been to before so definitely need your advice for both food quality and ability to entertain kids.

Breakfast
======
* Crystal Palace

Lunch or Dinner
====
* Liberty Tree Tavern
* Tusker House
* Sci Fi Dine In
* Plaza Restaurant
* Tony's Town Square
* The Wave
* Biergarten
* 1900 Park Fare

Le Cellier (one of my fav)
Trail's End Buffet (good for cheap dining)
Coral Reef (good meal and FISH!)

All of those are musts for me too except for Mexico :thumbsup2

I think there is a playground now. Or at least there was one this past weekend during the flower and garden fest. Not sure if it's up year round :confused3 If it is it's right where the world show case starts.

I haven't been to many of the restaurants in EPCOT so I can't give you much insight there either. I went to the restaurant in England....two thumbs up and I've been to Sunshine.....not as good as it once was but fun for the kids since it spins and has characters.

OH, by "Sunshine" I meant the counter-service in the food court. They have a really good salmon meal (at least for CS) and lots of other choices.

I will definitely look for a playground in epcot there. I know they used to have the Viking ship in Norway but that's off-limits now...

Yeah, Mexico is a cute boat ride ... DD3 likes to look for Donald.

I would only do LTT for dinner...they don't do so well at lunch anymore IMHO. Plus even tho they don't do the character dining anymore they still do the family style meal at dinner which is suburb. And you already know how I feel about SciFi :goodvibes

So last night I went through all the menus that I had printed from All Ears and did my first cut of restaurants. I only started with those places that are either in a theme park or that we can easily get to on the monorail/boats.

I still need to narrow this list down more. I'm not even sure we'll get to any TS but I want to be prepared so I'll make some ADRs just in case. If I have to cancel, then I'll make someone really happy!

Please provide any good/bad/ugly comments on your experiences. Those marked with a * are ones that I've never been to before so definitely need your advice for both food quality and ability to entertain kids.

Breakfast
======
* Crystal Palace

Lunch or Dinner
====
* Liberty Tree Tavern
* Tusker House
* Sci Fi Dine In
* Plaza Restaurant
* Tony's Town Square
* The Wave
* Biergarten
* 1900 Park Fare

Le Cellier (one of my fav)
Trail's End Buffet (good for cheap dining)
Coral Reef (good meal and FISH!)

Crystal Place...gorgeous restaurant....good character interaction....cute Piglets and Pooh Waffles I believe. I love breakfast...

Liberty Tree Tavern is good comfort food..just miss the characters :sad1:

Sci Fi--Is fun...with yummy sandwhiches and milkshakes

Plaza....simple food.....great for picky eaters....

Tonys's Town....went there on a whim and loved it :love:

Biergarten...might help keep kids entertained with OOMPA bands and kids can dance in the middle if they like

1900 Pare Fare..have not done in at least 5 years or more...but when I went...we enjoyed it...did the breakfast

AK Amendment

My DD3 told me that she wants to do the Dinosaur ride since "she likes Dinosaurs". Hmmm, I'm wondering if this would be too intense for a 4 yo?

I haven't been on since 2003(ish), but I'm remembering that it was very dark, very bumpy and a bit confusing b/c you just zoom through.

I liked it but what age do you think would be appropriate for this?:confused:

Find the clip on youtube and let DD watch it with you

I think it might be too intense and roaring of the dinosaur might be a bit much..but u never know :goodvibes

EPCOT

Priority - Soarin, Test Track, Nemo, Mexico, Spaceship Earth and Imagination Fountain Family Photo

(For those of you who have followed my past TR, you know that this Family Photo is really important to me. We get one every trip.)

Seconds - Imagination, The Land Boat Ride, Norway

Go Crazy and Have Fun - ?? or Innoventions

I can't recall any playground at Epcot. I know they have some areas where you can play in the water fountains or misters, but in November these may not be practical.

Adult - Mission Space and Shopping in World Showcase, Voices of Liberty

Food - Coral Reef, Germany, Garden Grill, Le Cellier, Sunshine (The Land) or Morrocco CS

Illuminations if we're in Epcot at night.
=================

As you can see, we have lots of stuff to do in Epcot. This is probably my favorite park.

Great choices.

I know there is a playground during Flower and garden festival, but think down rest of the year

out of food choices...I vote for either Biergarten or Garden Grill :thumbsup2

Magic Kingdom

Priority - Dumbo, Haunted Mansion (swap?), PoC, Splash Mountain (swap), BTMRR (?), Buzz Lightyear, Goofy's Barnstormer (swap), Tea Cups

Seconds - Peter Pan, IASW, Carousel, Jungle Cruise, Country Bears, Tiki Room

Go crazy and run - Tom Sawyer Island, Playgrounds

Adult - * soft opening of Space Mountain *??

Food - Caramel-nut Apple, Pecos Bill, Cosmic Ray's or {gasp :lmao:} Crystal Palace for breakfast.

Yes, I'm seriously considering going to CP since everyone gives it wonderful reviews and I figure we better go while the girls are still young.

I'd like to do the 3pm parade, spectromagic and wishes.

Our special picture for this park will be DH and I jumping in front of the castle...here's the one we did last May
image173.jpg

==========
I think we'll be in MK at least 3 different times in our 5 days there. We just have so much to do and see.

Oh, and DD3 said she wants to do a show where she can be in it (like the Sword in the Stone, etc)...do you know of any others? I'll have to research this.

What about Winnie the Pooh Ride :laughing:

My other favorite there is Mickey's Philharmagic Show:goodvibes

Not sure of any participating shows in MK./...I think they have storytime with Belle....not sure how much participation is involved, but looks cute :lovestruc

Love the jumping photo :rotfl:

Ok, on to some fun planning now.

Although I don't think we'll get to Animal Kingdom on this trip, here are the attractions we'll do if we get there.

Of course, any and all suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated...remember we'll have a 4 yo and 8 mo old (which reminds me I need to get a copy of the Unofficial Guide from our Library to see the kid's ratings for each ride).

ANIMAL KINGDOM
============

Priority - Kilimanjaro Safari

Seconds - Nemo or Lion King, TriSpin, Trails

"Go crazy and have fun" - Dinosaur Playground

Adult - Everest, Premeval Whirl

Food - Tusker House (TS), Yak & Yeti or Flame Tree

No plans for the parade at this time unless there is a EMH and we decide to go to the park later in the day.

Not a big fan of Ak like Carla, but my favs are safari and Everest

The rest I can take it or leave it

Not too fund of Dinsosaur section..no offense to anyone, but feels like a carnival to me :confused3

DISNEY STUDIOS

Priority - Toy Story Mania, Playhouse Disney

(we were lucky to be able to experience TSM before it opened last year. My DD3 loved it and we definitely want to go again. However, if I remember correctly, Elie would not be able to sit on my lap but would be buckled into the middle seat. I'm not sure how secure this will be for her, esp in the spins...also not sure if the spinning would scare an 8 month old. We may have to Child Swap this.)

Seconds - Muppets (but again, this may be too scary for an 8mo old. DD3 has not done this yet), Little Mermaid

Go crazy and have fun - It's Tough to be a Bug Playground

Food - Sci Fi (?) or Commissary or ???

(I know this gets bad reviews but the atmosphere may be enough to keep an 8 mo old occupied (?) and my DH is totally into the old, bad sci fi movies.)

This parade might be a fun one to do if we are in the park. I doubt we'll get to see Fantasmic this time since it'll be tough to keep 2 small kids occupied for an hour wait.

Beauty & the Beast show, if timing works out.

Looks like great picks here

I would go for Sci Fi

I hear awful things abotu commissary all the time

Crystal Place...gorgeous restaurant....good character interaction....cute Piglets and Pooh Waffles I believe. I love breakfast...

Liberty Tree Tavern is good comfort food..just miss the characters :sad1:

Sci Fi--Is fun...with yummy sandwhiches and milkshakes

Plaza....simple food.....great for picky eaters....

Tonys's Town....went there on a whim and loved it :love:

Biergarten...might help keep kids entertained with OOMPA bands and kids can dance in the middle if they like

1900 Pare Fare..have not done in at least 5 years or more...but when I went...we enjoyed it...did the breakfast

Perfect!! Just what I was looking for

Find the clip on youtube and let DD watch it with you

I think it might be too intense and roaring of the dinosaur might be a bit much..but u never know :goodvibes

OK, I think we will skip this one.

Great choices.

I know there is a playground during Flower and garden festival, but think down rest of the year

out of food choices...I vote for either Biergarten or Garden Grill :thumbsup2

Biergarten is sounding better and better to me...

What about Winnie the Pooh Ride :laughing:

My other favorite there is Mickey's Philharmagic Show:goodvibes

Not sure of any participating shows in MK./...I think they have storytime with Belle....not sure how much participation is involved, but looks cute :lovestruc

Love the jumping photo :rotfl:

Actually, yes, DD will want to do WtP.

I totally forgot about Philharmagic. We didn't do it last time and I'd like to try.

See, this is why I need you guys to help me out!:goodvibes

Not a big fan of Ak like Carla, but my favs are safari and Everest

The rest I can take it or leave it

Not too fund of Dinsosaur section..no offense to anyone, but feels like a carnival to me :confused3

Looks like great picks here

I would go for Sci Fi

I hear awful things abotu commissary all the time

Sci Fi is also sounding pretty good.

OK, I talked to DH about restaurants and from my list of 15 or so, DH wants to do:

First Choice
1900 Park Fare
The Wave
Crystal Palace
Le Cellier
Garden Grill
Coral Reef

Second Choice
Ohana or Chef Mickey CM
Biergarten
Liberty Tree Tavern
Sci Fi

Now I need to start pre-planning which day and which park...would be nice to have the park schedule to do this!:sad2: I don't like having to wait until 90 days...

OK, I talked to DH about restaurants and from my list of 15 or so, DH wants to do:

First Choice
1900 Park Fare
The Wave
Crystal Palace
Le Cellier
Garden Grill
Coral Reef

Second Choice
Ohana or Chef Mickey CM
Biergarten
Liberty Tree Tavern
Sci Fi

Now I need to start pre-planning which day and which park...would be nice to have the park schedule to do this!:sad2: I don't like having to wait until 90 days...

Very nice variety

Lot of good ones

Only thing I would be leary on is The Wave.

I have not heard a lot of good reviews.

But then again, everyone can not like same thing....:laughing:

Very nice variety

Lot of good ones

Only thing I would be leary on is The Wave.

I have not heard a lot of good reviews.

But then again, everyone can not like same thing....:laughing:

Yeah, I heard bad reviews too about The Wave. I'm thinking maybe by the time we get there, it will be improved! :thumbsup2

DH said he wanted to do "a lot of character meals" to keep the girls entertained and so we don't have to wait in line as much for autographs.

So now I think we are going to get the TIW card (gives you 20% off). It should save us money if we actually do most of our priorities and then go again with our family in summer 2010.

Yeah, I heard bad reviews too about The Wave. I'm thinking maybe by the time we get there, it will be improved! :thumbsup2

DH said he wanted to do "a lot of character meals" to keep the girls entertained and so we don't have to wait in line as much for autographs.

So now I think we are going to get the TIW card (gives you 20% off). It should save us money if we actually do most of our priorities and then go again with our family in summer 2010.

Yeah, that is true...got a few months to get it kinds out

That is a good plan....Such a pain waiting in thsoe long lines for characters

So glad Trent has not been into characters for most part :laughing:

Good idea :thumbsup2

Crystal Palace breakfast is terrific. The food is excellent and there is little happier than the fuzzy love of the Pooh gang to start the day. I had lunch there once and thought the food was not very good, in contrast to the breakfast.

The Wave was one of my favorite meals in January. I don't know if there's been a kitchen shake up since then, but I enjoyed everything, and especially the dessert. The atmosphere is very adult and not fuzzy Disney at all, and overall has more of a corporate feel due to the conventioneers who go there.

Okay....I'm subbing. I'm caught up too.....

ME isn't too bad. It really depends what day of the week you arrive and what time. Sometimes lines can be long....

As far as not having a car and relying on the busses, I haven't had trouble with waits for the busses, in general. In 2007, I was at Pop and 2008 I was at both Pop and BCV. I had one long wait returning to Pop from DHS, but it was right after Fantasmic. I had one long wait for the MK from the BCV. That's it. Most waits to and from DTD are long for some reason....FYI.

My cousin's DH has always loved having a car and I never heard him say he missed having a car during our last trip in 2008. Just a different opinion.

I'll be curious to hear your review of BLT as my cousins are DVC owners and may try and get in there for our 2010 trip.

Dinosaur is a scary ride even for some adults. I wouldn't chance taking a 4 yr old on it.

Crystal Palace breakfast is terrific. The food is excellent and there is little happier than the fuzzy love of the Pooh gang to start the day. I had lunch there once and thought the food was not very good, in contrast to the breakfast.

The Wave was one of my favorite meals in January. I don't know if there's been a kitchen shake up since then, but I enjoyed everything, and especially the dessert. The atmosphere is very adult and not fuzzy Disney at all, and overall has more of a corporate feel due to the conventioneers who go there.

Hmm, you just turned me off of this restaurant when you said it is "very adult atmosphere"... is that your hint to me that maybe we shouldn't go with a 4 yo and 8.5 mo old?

I picked it b/c it's new and we'd be right next door...but maybe we should wait...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter