Biscuit's Grand Adventure | An epic tale three decades in the making!

the things we do for our baby girls huh? :)
Tell me about it!

I'm so in!
Welcome!
Now if only I had something clever to say..........Turns out she was afraid to lose her dentures, LOL.
I'd say this qualifies. :rotfl2:

I remembered most of the highlights, but for some reason when I went back I thought the teacups were located right next to Main Street, and that Star Tours might have possibly been the coolest thing ever (maybe it was in 1987, but by the time 2006 rolls aronud I was kind of wishing that they had just left Adventure Through Inner Space there...)
I was pretty enamored with Star Tours myself on my first go-round. I still enjoy it, but more for nostalgia than for the coolness factor.

Great update GB!! . . . . I also have a place I buy extinct ride DVD's from and my kids just love them.
Thanks. The DVD thing sounds nifty.

I remember having Mickey shaped pancakes with my mom when the park opened one time. I was 5. I recall eating the pancakes on a patio right next to the train, as if our table and the restaurant were in the queue area. I have a picture of myself with Mickey from that day. I still remember waiting in that line to have the picture taken. I was so tired of waiting, it was hot and I wanted to go on Dumbo.
It's funny how our really early memories take shape. I'm interested to see how my daughters remember this trip a few years down the road.

Oh, I'm in too.:wave2:
I also don't remember everything from my first trip which was to DL when i was really little. I do remember crying my eyes out to go on It's a Small World, which had the longest line in the park. My mother finally took me on it. The wait was horrible. The worst part was finally being on it and hearing the fireworks outside and getting my bottom whooped cause i tried climbing out of the boat to go see em'.:rotfl:
Great Trip report so far....::yes::
Thanks and welcome. Anyone who would attempt to cast off the bonds of It's A Small World in order to behold the glory of Disney fireworks is welcome here. For you act of bravery, I hereby name you poster of the day with the all the rights and privileges contained therein.

Now I'm off to post an update. Thanks for reading everyone and I'll see you on the flip side.

Episode 4 - Conquering the Final Frontier

After parting ways with the rest of the family, my dad and I took the Skyway to Tomorrowland. From there, it was a short hop over to Space Mountain. In case you've forgotten, of all the attractions that I most looked forward to, Space Mountain topped the list. (ESPECIALLY after riding through on the WEDway.)

I have been a coaster enthusiast from the time I was nearly tall enough to ride the Cannon Ball at Lake Winnepesaukah Amusement Park in Chattanooga, Tennessee at the ripe old age of six. (My uncle snuck me on by having me stand on the toe of his shoe in order to meet the height requirement.) While I can no longer handle things that quickly spin, (IE the dreaded Teacups) I still LOVE me a good coaster; and by the time we made it back to Tomorrowland, I was nearing the point of anticipation overload.

The Space Mountain queue was outside of the building, and the wait time was around an hour and a half. (Pre Fastpass WDW was truly a lesson in patience.) I can still remember standing outside, watching the goings on of Tomorrowland, while the anticipation seemed overwhelming. I remember spending quite a bit of time gazing at the tall statue thingy of the astronauts on the ride vehicle. I remember looking with envy as small groups of fellow park guests would be periodically swallowed up by the building.

Eventually it was our turn to enter. We descended into "The Tunnel" and began the long journey forward. Along the way, I was mightily impressed by the themeing, but growing more concerned that this tunnel might stretch on for miles. After what seemed an eternity of wandering through the bowels of Space Mountain, we emerged into the loading area and yet another queue. But the end was in sight. We could see and hear the ride before us.

As the cookie asteroids flew overhead, I continually recalculated our wait time and shuffled inch by inch closer to the moment of blastoff. Finally it was our turn, we were loaded in and off we went. As far as coasters go, it wasn't the fastest, or the highest, or the most exciting; but one thing was for certain, it was hands down the coolest coaster I had encountered in all my 13 years. Yet as incredible as the ride itself was, the thing that was most memorable to me was the time I spent with my dad.

A couple of years before our trip, we were living in a small west Texas town whose economy was deeply tied to the petroleum industry. As oil profits began to drop, some of the larger businesses in town closed. This led to several small business owners losing their businesses as well, my father included. Although he could have simply cut his loses, taken legal protection and walked away, he made a vow that he would do whatever he had to do to pay back every cent he owed. For the next 15 years, my father worked two jobs, teaching high school algebra during the day and college algebra at night (including summer school) until he had repaid every dollar. In doing so he taught me what it means to be a man of integrity, perseverance and faith. It is one of the things that I respect him for the most. Yet it was hard not being able to spend a lot of time with him.

That afternoon spent with my Dad is one of the greatest memories I have of our time together when I was growing up. Standing in line talking about the trip, the park, fishing, politics, and whatever else fancied the interest of a 13 year old boy is a time that I will never forget. Whenever I see Space Mountain, hear about it in a trip report, or enjoy a ride on it, I remember my dad and I thank God for giving me that day to spend with him.

Looking back through the eyes of a father, that particular trip means more to me now than it did at the time I took it. I now understand what it must have cost my parents to make my dreams come true. I know the sacrifices it must have taken for our family to make that trip.

As I looked at my own life, I began to see a parallel. For nearly a year I have been working the late shift. I only see my wife and oldest daughter for a few moments each day during the week. I spend about 20 min with them while I get my daughter ready for school, and they are in bed by the time I got home from work.

Remembering that day with my dad, and seeing how difficult it was for my daughter to only spend time with me on weekends, I made up my mind that I WAS going to make our trip happen.

My return to the World is not just a vacation or a time for fun and play. To me it represents a passing of the torch, and a transition from being a dad to being a father. It's a time to celebrate as a family the blessings God had given us, both past and present. So on Sat Oct 25th, 2008, my wife and I officially decided that Summer '09 would mark our return. Thus the trip that spawned this report was officially on the books.

But that's getting ahead of myself.

After all in 1987, I wasn't looking to the future or thinking of having kids of my own. I was spending a day with my hero.

So back to the past we go. We blasted through the outer reaches of the known universe, blew through rotating tunnels of light, and returned safely to earth. It was everything I had hoped it would be and more. I absolutely LOVED this ride. We exited and made our way to the moving sidewalks and got to see a glimpse of the "future". I loved the way the themeing was maintained from entrance to exit.

After our initial ride, my dad noticed we still had a while to go until we had to meet up with the rest of the crew. We saw that the line had dropped and so we decided to line back up and ride the other side. It was a great couple of hours, and a time I will always cherish. Surviving re-entry for the second time, we headed across the park to meet up with the rest of our clan at another WDW eatery. By process of elimination, I think I can safely say it was the Columbia Harbor House.

After eating with the rest of the kinfolk, we headed off as a family and caught Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and It's a Small World. We then watched the fireworks and caught the Main Street Electrical parade.

We stopped at the Emporium on the way out, and I picked up a 15th Anniversary Pennant for my collection. I intended to post a photo of it, but have yet to haul the box down. (I'll TRY to remember to do that when I get home tonight and get it posted.)

It amazes me in looking back, that on this particular trip, I caught six attractions which no longer exist. (American Journeys, If You Could Fly, Mission to Mars, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and the Skyway) Yet, as much as the Magic Kingdom and on a larger scale the entire Walt Disney World Resort has changed over the years, there remains something timeless and familiar. Memories of trips gone-by account for a good portion of the magic and allure of this unique place.

After filing out with the crowds and returning to the car, I was sad to go, but thrilled that the Magic Kingdom had been all I hoped it would be and more. I drifted off to sleep somewhere in greater Orlando and dreamed of the free ticket that REQUIRED a return trip. I hoped the interim would not be as long as the one between my trips at ages 3 and 13. Fortunately, circumstances would soon work out in my favor, however, my return to the World would not go quite as I expected.

But that's getting ahead of myself.

Coming up on Episode 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 - "The Others
"

Epilogue - while I do remember the rides from that day (mainly through photos that have since been lost but were around enough years to reinforce my feeble brain) I don't remember the exact touring order. This was my best approximation. My clearest memories are of Circle Vision, Misson to Mars, Sapce Mountain, lunch (don't know why but it made an impression on me), 20,000 leagues, the sky way and the teacups. The rest is there, but not as clearly defined. Thanks for reading along. More to come soon.

Last edited:
I have returned to Biscuit Manor and true to my word have captured and uploaded a photo of my prized souvenir pennant. Quality isn't great as I had to use the camera on my 'Berry, but it should give you a general idea.

I also had a Donald Duck hat from an early trip, but can't remember if it was from this one or not. I think it may have been, but the hat is long gone so I can't check the tag for a date.

Last edited:
We need a clapping smilie here. Instead, I will give you this :thumbsup2

Wonderful chapter, GB, and a terrific story of your great dad and the wonders of the father/son bond. Well, parent/child, really. I think I now understand why you remembered so much of this trip. And even though I personally hate Space Mountain, that's just now, as an adult. I remember loving it as a kid, too. Now? I'm just waiting for my youngest son to get tall enough so that it is too uncomfortable for him to ride. Just like his 6'7" dad and 6'5" older brother. For now, I'm the lucky one who gets to ride it with him. Maybe I should remember your words next trip and cherish the time with him instead of complaining about my aching neck......:rolleyes:

Timeless and familiar indeed. I don't think it matters which old rides close or new ones open (well, maybe just a little). The Magic Kingdom will always be that place with the "E" tickets (yes, I'm that old) and Cinderella's Castle. Where you can see Mickey and Minnie and walk down Main Street. Where fireworks and electrical/spectro parades light your night. And where the magic of Walt shines through every day! We are so lucky that we get to share it with our kids. And hopefully set the stage for them to do the same in a few years.

We need a clapping smilie here. Instead, I will give you this :thumbsup2

Wonderful chapter, GB, and a terrific story of your great dad and the wonders of the father/son bond. Well, parent/child, really. I think I now understand why you remembered so much of this trip. And even though I personally hate Space Mountain, that's just now, as an adult. I remember loving it as a kid, too. Now? I'm just waiting for my youngest son to get tall enough so that it is too uncomfortable for him to ride. Just like his 6'7" dad and 6'5" older brother. For now, I'm the lucky one who gets to ride it with him. Maybe I should remember your words next trip and cherish the time with him instead of complaining about my aching neck......:rolleyes:

Timeless and familiar indeed. I don't think it matters which old rides close or new ones open (well, maybe just a little). The Magic Kingdom will always be that place with the "E" tickets (yes, I'm that old) and Cinderella's Castle. Where you can see Mickey and Minnie and walk down Main Street. Where fireworks and electrical/spectro parades light your night. And where the magic of Walt shines through every day! We are so lucky that we get to share it with our kids. And hopefully set the stage for them to do the same in a few years.

Thanks AC! Definitely cherish the moments you have. It was kind of funny when I had my dad read over this, he remembered the trip, but never knew how much it meant to me. I have to remind myself as a parent that the gift my girls will cherish the most is my time. I got to spend a little extra time with my oldest this morning. First Lady Biscuit is down with the crud so I took my little Princess to school. :drive: Good thing about caffeine - it wakes you up. Bad thing about caffeine - it keeps you up, so no man nap for me. Well, I guess I'd better do something productive. Adios amiga!

When digging through my box of pennants, I found a couple of more from the trip..

I also found one from another park referenced in this TR.

Last edited:
Great chapter! You are are tru:artist: with words.::yes::
Do they still sell pennants? I too remember getting them on the only 2 trips that we took anywhere pre-divorce. Were they really cheap?:rotfl: Maybe that is why my Lovely and Cheap father bought them for us 4 girls to share??:rotfl2:
Looking forward to more.:bored:

Great chapter! You are are tru:artist: with words.::yes::
Do they still sell pennants? I too remember getting them on the only 2 trips that we took anywhere pre-divorce. Were they really cheap?:rotfl: Maybe that is why my Lovely and Cheap father bought them for us 4 girls to share??:rotfl2:
Looking forward to more.:bored:

I appreciate you reading and I thank you for your kind words. I don't know if anyone still carries pennants or not. I haven't seen any in a while, but I haven't gone out looking either. I'll certainly check it out this summer.

Episode 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 - "The Others!"

In reading over this TR, I see that one critically important detail is missing: a good fart metaphor. Time to remedy that.
Trip number one having surpassed my exceedingly high expectations, I was even more stoked about trip number two. Turns out it was a lot like a church fart. (Yes I realize that is technically a simile, but let's not digress.) You know the kind of toot of which I speak. You have a round in the chamber, but due to the social setting you are in, (church, work, etc.) you cannot give the order to fire.

So you sit and hold it. This is fairly simple at first, but as time goes on pressure begins to build. Before you know it, you've gone to yellow alert. Suddenly your bowels are on the view screen warning "She can'na take much more of this captain."

Resolute to stay the course you renew your efforts. "Erect a level 10 containment field around cargo bay 2, and notify all personal to prepare for an emergency jump to warp." "Captain, if we try to take a step we'll lose containment for sure! We've got to stay here sir" Trapped and without options, the only thing you can do now is dig in and fight.

Soon the pressure becomes audible in the form of gurgles and growls. You feign being hungry so as not to start a panic, but the situation is nearing a crisis. You search your memory to see if perhaps you've forgotten about swallowing an inflatable raft. You're now at a full on red alert. Scotty the bowel muscle is back on the viewscreen. "Captain! We have an imminent containment breech!" Terror begins to grip you from the bottom up. "Plug it NOW Scotty! Take life support offline if you have to, but HOLD CONTAIMENT!"

Sweat is breaking out on your brow. Every muscle in your body is fully locked. You dare not move. You know that the slightest motion, even a thought, could trigger a chain reaction from which there would be no recovery. Finally as your belly button is about to begin shrieking like your great-grandmother's antique pressure cooker, you see your chance. The moment arrives when rapid departure is socially acceptable and you feel a slight dip in abdominal pressure.

You fly to the safety of the car and streak out of the parking lot in order to protect the lives of others. You roll down the windows so they aren't blown out by the concussion wave. If you had a siren you'd sound it to alert other drivers to remain in their vehicles, and warn those in their homes to seal the windows. The thought of recording the moment for future generations passes through your mind. You grip the steering wheel, set your jaw, move away from the airbags, grit your teeth, pray your injuries will be minor and give the order.

"Fire!"

Then it happens. The cannon shot you were expecting is replaced with a small and unassuming fizzle. The anti-climatic disappointment is overwhelming. You wonder what it was that had you so worked up. So it went with trip number two.

The following summer, I returned to Florida to redeem by free ticket; but this time I came alone. I had arranged to spend a few weeks watching my cousin during the daytime while my aunt was taking some classes. (She was getting ready for her first year of law school at Memphis State, which meant this was their last summer in Florida.)

The last Saturday of my trip just happened to coincide with a trip the youth group from her church was taking to the Magic Kingdom, and I was scheduled to join them. With my ride secured (albeit in an overcrowded van with a group of strangers) I packed my bags and my park ticket and went East young man.

This visit to the Magic Kingdom was the most bizarre of any that I've had. I was with approx 12-15 other teens and the youth pastor. (Who was actually not a "pastor" but was a college student doing a summer internship; and who shocked me by spending the bulk of the day sitting at a table towards the back of Pinocchio's working on his mid-summer report that apparently HAD to be turned into, and signed by, the actual senior pastor the following day in order for him to get credit for the internship.)

Prior to our departure we were made aware of the three rules. 1. We would be broken into four assigned "park groups". 2. Everyone was required to stay with their assigned "park group" and check in with college dude at Noon, 6:00 PM, and park closing. 3. Failure to abide by rules one and two would result in the most unimaginable consequence - spending the rest of the day sitting at a table with the procrastinating college dude.

Having since done both the college dude and youth pastor gigs, I sincerely doubt our chaperone would have held to this particular intimation, however at the time he seemed most sincere in it. But it was no problem, I could hang with strangers...after all this was Walt Disney World. It was then that I discovered a shocking and horrifying reality.

The Others.

You know them. Not only do they not share our enthusiasm for WDW, but in fact bare this hallowed ground a downright animosity. You could have bowled me over with a breadstick. How is this possible? How can you live in the same state as our beloved destination and not shout it's praises from the top of someplace very-very high?

As shocking as this news was, I soon discovered that the two fellow travelers comprising the remaining portion of my "park group" had no intentions of taking in any actual attractions. Instead they brilliantly planned on spending the entire day in the arcades and "cruising for girls". Oh joy of joys! I am going to spend a day in the greatest place on earth and my only two options are cruising around arcades or sitting at a table with college dude? I DON'T THINK SO BABY! I need options and I need 'em NOW.

Pondering the possibilities on the drive down, I finally reached a solution which held the promise of deliverance. First I needed to make myself an undesirable traveling companion. Thanks to some spicy tacos the night before, and my superior mastery of organic chemistry, this was fairly easily accomplished. After an hour of breathing in the fog of abomination and listing to me ramble about Star Trek, my newfound companions were more than ready to rid themselves of my company post-haste.

Now that the motivation was properly secured, it was time to engage the mechanics of my master plan. On the boat ride across the lagoon, I made the suggestion to my touring team that perhaps in anticipation of become "Accidentally Separated", we should establish a secondary rendezvous point, purely as a precautionary measure. By meeting at said location 10 min prior to our check in time with college dude, we could maintain the integrity of our "park group" while checking in, and avoid the dire consequences resulting from "park group" separation. The bulbs in their brains slowly went from off to dim, and they declared it to be a brilliant suggestion.

After entering the front gates and hanging back while college dude made a beeline to Pinocchio's, my new found friends and I became "Accidentally Separated". Having been a cub scout, I knew that my first order of business was to establish a search grid. To that end, I queued up to Space Mountain to rule it out as a possible location. Of course as the ride cycles fairly quickly, this search was required to be repeated regularly throughout the day.

And that's how at the ripe old age of 14, I spent a solo day in the Magic Kingdom. Please don't tell my mother. Even though I'm 35 and survived unscathed, she'd have a panic attack at the potential danger faced by her baby.

I don't remember the exact touring order, however I do remember that I spent the bulk of the day in Tomorrowland, save for a couple of turns on Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, and Pirates. I also remember that this was the one and only trip I actually watched a stage show in the Galaxy Palace Theater. The only reason I remember that particular show is that it was the first time I had ever seen a real live confetti cannon. Even that would not have made an impression were it not for the woman seated directly in front of said cannon who jumped straight up and screamed like a heckled monkey when it was fired.

Through it all, I remained faithful in my duties to my "park group", and followed through on our alternative check in arrangements.

At the six o'clock check in, our leader (who had apparently finished his report) determined the need for a group ride, and settled on the Haunted Mansion as the venue for this sacred outing. 999 Happy Haunts later, we split back into our "park groups", with college dude electing to finish our stay touring the park with one of the other "park groups". Through my diligence in observing his exit vector, (solely in the event that I needed to locate him in an emergency situation mind you) I somehow became "Accidentally Separated" from my "park group" for the third time that day.

Bummer.

Oh Well, nothing to do but head to Space Mountain and establish a new search grid.

One thing I do remember clearly is taking several turns on the WEDway near closing time to rest my feet and reflect on the day. It was the only time I can remember a cast member letting me stay on a ride without having to get off and get back in line. I also took advantage of the shortened lines during the fireworks for a final visit to my favorite Mountain.

All in all the trip was enjoyable, but not overly memorable. Other than the crazy woman and solo touring, trip number two didn't make much of an impression on me. I still loved Walt Disney World and I still wanted to come back, but this go-round just wasn't quite the same.

I left the park not knowing when I would be able to return, but another stroke of luck would bring me back sooner than I might have thought.

Coming up on Episode Six(ish) - Sing a Song of WEDway.

Click Here for Next Ep
isode

Last edited:
GreatBiscuit,

You most certainly hit the nail on the head-Disney isn't necessarily just about the parks. It's about the long lasting memories that the parks bring us. The silliness while walking through the parks, kissing the characters at mealtimes, scrambling to get ready and to the parks before they open, the time when one of your kids wouldn't sit on the toilet because it flushed automatically (okay, maybe just our family on this one). Anyway, you see what I mean. The variety of activites that Disney offers, makes this a place where almost anyone can kick back and have a blast.

Thanks for reminding me.

GB said:
In reading over this TR, I see that one critically important detail is missing: a good fart metaphor. (Hi Zzub!) Time to remedy that. Trip number one having surpassed my exceedingly high expectations, I was even more stoked about trip number two. Turns out it was a lot like a church fart. You know the kind. You have a round in the chamber, but due to the social setting you are in, (church, work, etc.) you cannot give the order to fire.

So you sit and hold it. This is fairly simple at first, but as time goes on pressure begins to build. Before you know it, you’ve gone to yellow alert. Suddenly your bowels are on the view screen warning “She can’na take much more of this captain”. Resolute to stay the course you renew your efforts. “Erect a level 10 containment field around cargo bay 2 and notify all personal to prepare for an emergency jump to warp.” “Captain, if we try to take a step we’ll lose containment for sure! We’ve got to stay here sir!” Trapped and without options, the only thing you can do now is dig in and fight.

Soon the pressure becomes audible in the form of gurgles and growls. You feign being hungry so as not to start a panic, but the situation is nearing a crisis. You search your memory to see if perhaps you’ve forgotten about swallowing an inflatable raft. You’re now at a full on red alert. Scotty the bowel muscle is back on the viewscreen. “Captain! We have an imminent containment breech!” Terror begins to grip your from the bottom up. “Plug it NOW Scotty! Take life support offline if you have to, but HOLD CONTAIMENT!”

Sweat is breaking out on your brow. Every muscle in your body is fully locked. You dare not move. You know that the slightest motion, even a thought, could trigger a chain reaction from which there would be no recovery. Finally as your belly button is about to begin shrieking like your great-grandmother’s antique pressure cooker, you see your chance. The moment arrives when rapid departure is socially acceptable and you feel a slight dip in abdominal pressure.

You fly to the safety of the car and streak out of the parking lot in order to protect the lives of others. You roll down the windows so they aren’t blown out by the concussion wave. If you had a siren you’d sound it to alert other drivers to remain in their vehicles and warn those in their homes to seal the windows. The thought of recording the moment for future generations passes through your mind. You grip the steering wheel, set your jaw, move away from the airbags, grit your teeth, pray your injuries will be minor and give the order.

“Fire!”

Then it happens. The cannon shot you were expecting is replaced with a small and unassuming fizzle. The anti-climatic disappointment is overwhelming. You wonder what it was that had you so worked up. So it went with trip number two.
:thumbsup2 That was about the best holdin-in-the-fart story I've read. And that it was a metaphor to boot, well that's just good writing.

:moped:

:thanks: and :wave2: and :teleport:

Thanks for reminding me.
My Pleasure.

:thumbsup2 That was about the best holdin-in-the-fart story I've read. And that it was a metaphor to boot, well that's just good writing.
Thanks Zzub! Glad you liked it. As to your reason for editing, well all I can say is I relate and I'll see you at the next one. Now I'm off to read the update on that nifty Blog of yours.

Another great installment, GB. Even though the visit itself wasn't anything to write home about (DIS maybe, but not home), you did a commendable job of putting us all there with the nitwit "park group" and the Disney nerd in all of us :thumbsup2 Oh, and a very commendable job on the fart story/metaphor for ZZUB. ;)

The only reason I remember that particular show is that it was the first time I had ever seen a real live confetti cannon. Even that would not have made an impression were it not for the woman seated directly in front of said cannon who jumped straight up and screamed like a heckled monkey when it was fired.

So, tell us, GB. What does a heckled monkey scream sound like?:scared1:

Episode 5.5 - Fear of the Unkown (Off Topic)

I stayed home sick today and after seeing my daughter and wife off this morning, I settled in for some channel surfing. There's something about watching TV through the fog of antihistamines that is just therapeutic. I dialed in a morning news show and a few minutes later, the logo for my company splashed across the screen.

There's something I've come to realize in the past few years of my life. When your company is on the news, it's never a good thing. It was then that the anchor said the L word.

Layoffs.

And not just a few either. Old boy was talking about colossal, massive, monstrous layoffs. Thousands of them.

The first thing that flashes through your mind is to wonder whether or not your position will be affected. I have been checking email and speaking with co-workers and it appears that this is not an answer I will have quickly. It will be sometime in March before we know who will and will not be affected by the layoffs. And so I am left to wonder, what will that mean for my family?

On the plus side, this is not the first time I've stared down layoffs with this company. We've had layoffs every year the past three years. Nearly 12 months ago to the day, I transferred to my current department. Two weeks later, my old department was completely dissolved. The year before that, we had a round of layoffs and I was able to keep my position after our department lost fifty percent of its workforce.

Yet the uncertainty is not easy to deal with. In the past, I knew that I would be able to protect the girls from knowing what was going on, and that I could find something else if it came to that. Now, with the trip, and the current economy, I worry. I can't imagine having to sit them down and try to explain to them why our trip is being cancelled. I know how hard it was just for my wife and I to cancel trips in the past before the girls were here. And so here I sit, chicken soup and sprite in hand, wondering what the future holds and helpless to do anything about it.

In times like this, I remind myself about all the uncertain times I've faced before. The time I lost my insurance a couple of months before our youngest was born. The medical emergencies we've faced. The loved ones we've had to say goodbye to. The previous times I've avoided layoffs when the company was downsizing. In each instance God was there. His Spirit has guided me and calmed me and reminded me to lean not on my own understanding.

If I do keep my job, there will still be thousands of others who have to sit their families down and explain that things may have to change for a while. So for now, I take a moment to thank God for the blessings I have and to ask that He surround those who will be affected by this with His love and grace.

Until I know what the future will hold, I will continue plugging away at this TR and planning for this summer's return to the world. If it works out that we are still able to go, it will make the trip that much more special and an even bigger blessing.

Episode 6 - Sing a Song of WEDway - Click here for next episode

Last edited:
Dear GreatCrackerBarrelBiscuit,

I am marking my place here in your thread. Stretching out and getting comfy.

I haven't read a stinking word of your report yet, except the post directly above me.

So I will offer you a big :hug: and prayers for your family and the others affected by the layoff.

From,

MTK

These are scary times indeed! My company is having potential layoffs too, starting with Exec retirement packages for now, and sure to trickly down farther down the ladder. And judging by the past, if they dont get enough takers, there will be layoffs.

Prayers and Pixie dust to you and your coworkers.

I feel for you GB! :hug:
It's been almost two yeears since impending layoffs were announced at my company, and Feb 23 will be the one year anniversary of my last official day employed. It's a scary world, this world of unemployment. I am still searching for a position, and I thank God that the government keeps extending unemployment benefits.
I'll keep you in my prayers, that you are not hurt by these layoffs at your company.

Im facing a potential layoff as well - march 1st...you are not alone :grouphug: apparently - you have lots of company...unfortunately.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2172153/posts

I hear what you are saying about keeping the faith. These are going to be trying times, for this country - I only hope some good will come of it.
Maybe it will bring people closer together - and make all realize what is truly important - family, neighbors, and friends....not money.

Take care...crossing my fingers for you (and me!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter